Clydesdales 200lb / 90kg + riders · Public discussion

First serious road ride with experienced riders

Started by Myosmith · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,684 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Clydesdales 200lb / 90kg + riders
Published
8 September 2011
Last activity
18 June 2012
Original author
Myosmith
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,684
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've done several "group rides" in the beginner's group of a club sponsored by a LBS. Yesterday I stepped up to riding with their regular riding group. I was a bit intimidated when about 30 riders showed up and I was the only one with a flat bar and flat pedals on a home-built hybrid. Everyone was in spandex and cycling jerseys so I stood out a bit in denim shorts and an athletic T-shirt. Even though everyone was friendly and supportive, I still felt out of place.

    It was about a 30-mile round trip out of the city, cross country to a neighboring small town and back and the wind was picking up as we left. Going through town wasn't bad as the pack broke into a more aggressive group up front and about a dozen less experienced riders in back with one of the ride leaders hanging back with us. Even among the less experienced group, I was the obvious newb.

    I did pretty well through town but as we hit the open flats into a hurricane force (OK . . . 10-12 mph) headwind I began to struggle to keep up. I had the aerodynamics of a concrete block and an extra 10 lbs of bike to boot. Eventually, I fell off the back. The group took mercy on me and stopped for a "water break". We headed into the wind again and I kept up fairly well, thanks to another rider who set a slightly slower pace (14-15 mph) and made sure I didn't fall off the back again. Shortly before the turn around point, we came across the aggressive group stopped by the side of the road due to a multi-rider crash. Luckily, nobody was badly injured so the ride continued.

    After the turn around, the wind died down a bit and was now at our backs. I found my second wind and had a much easier time keeping up with the group, riding 20-22 mph much of the time. I was able to chat with several riders and began to really enjoy the ride. I finished the ride in the middle of the less aggressive group, which for me was a huge accomplishment. I had a beer with the other riders and got some nice comments and encouragement.

    Forgive the rantings of a newbie, but considering that just a few months ago I started out huffing and puffing through a 5-mile trip around town, I'm rather happy about how the summer is turning out. This ride added a lot to my motivation to lose my last 30 pounds (I'm 50 down already) over the winter and look for a road bike in the spring.

  2. Congratulations, I suffered through several group rides when I started out. It gets easier, and more fun. Your fitness will increase and you will hone your group ride survival tactics.

    Everybody likes a Clyde that can keep (or push in some cases) the pace, since we generally ride at a smooth constant speed and have ample draft.

  3. Thanks for posting that story, I have just begun riding again after 20+years and i was quite intimidated by just trying to buy a new road bike. I have been training by myself for the last couple of months and I am still a bit worried about trying a group ride. I weighed around 230 wehn I began riding again and now i am down to about 210. I am shooting for about 195-200lbs. I go around 6'2" so I dont have a ton of weight to drop, but I would like to see the abs again! LOL!

    Anyway, thanks again for the story, it helped encourage me to seek out a nice group ride ans see how it goes. Keep riding, its the best way I ahve found to keep active withour punishing your body.

    -Brad

  4. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by maydog [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    Everybody likes a Clyde that can keep (or push in some cases) the pace, since we generally ride at a smooth constant speed and have ample draft.


    Good lord, yes. Riding with my friends, I hear them chuckle when I start pulling - "it's like riding behind a wall"

  5. I live in Seattle, which has a velodrome near by. Some years ago, the veleodrome hosted masters nationals. I was at the track on the day the 200 meter TT for the sprints were being run. At the time I was 230lbs., yet many of the racers there made me look small. Hang out with track sprinters, you will never feel large again.

  6. Good Job

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.