UK and Europe · Public discussion

First ride of the year.

Started by vernon · · Last activity · 8 posts · 264 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
1 January 2007
Last activity
2 January 2007
Original author
vernon
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
264
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I aim to be sampling the fine ales of The Tan Hill Inn today after cycling
    there from Reeth. I hope that it's not as windy as the last time I did a
    New Year's Day Tan Hill loop when I was blown off my bike twice.

  2. "vernon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I aim to be sampling the fine ales of The Tan Hill Inn today after cycling
    there from Reeth. I hope that it's not as windy as the last time I did a
    New Year's Day Tan Hill loop when I was blown off my bike twice.

    At least they have decent windows to keep the draught out ;-)

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  3. vernon said:

    I aim to be sampling the fine ales of The Tan Hill Inn today after cycling
    there from Reeth. I hope that it's not as windy as the last time I did a
    New Year's Day Tan Hill loop when I was blown off my bike twice.

    Hope it went well...

    I decided a short, sharp start to the year since it wasn't raining
    or /too/ windy, and did the two big hills in Dundee. Should
    probably have taken the MTB in hindsight, especially coming down
    Balgay hill on the east spur, but I only almost fell off twice!

    Happy New Year all!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. vernon said:

    I aim to be sampling the fine ales of The Tan Hill Inn today after cycling
    there from Reeth. I hope that it's not as windy as the last time I did a
    New Year's Day Tan Hill loop when I was blown off my bike twice.


    Down the Thames to Erith and back.

    We were glad to find a Starburger open, for tea and suasage sandwiches
    all round.

    Puncture on the way back :-(
    Spare tube did the trick though.

  5. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "vernon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I aim to be sampling the fine ales of The Tan Hill Inn today after
    cycling there from Reeth. I hope that it's not as windy as the last time
    I did a New Year's Day Tan Hill loop when I was blown off my bike twice.

    At least they have decent windows to keep the draught out ;-)

    Ah, there's a tale behind that advert.

    When they went up to do the filming with Ted Moult, the Tan Hill had one of
    its rare periods of being windless and thay had to rely upon industrial
    sized fans to provide the drafts.

  6. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "vernon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I aim to be sampling the fine ales of The Tan Hill Inn today after
    cycling there from Reeth. I hope that it's not as windy as the last time
    I did a New Year's Day Tan Hill loop when I was blown off my bike twice.

    At least they have decent windows to keep the draught out ;-)

    How draughty was your ride home yesterday?

    Quoted message said:


    -=V=-

  7. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    vernon said:

    I aim to be sampling the fine ales of The Tan Hill Inn today after
    cycling there from Reeth. I hope that it's not as windy as the last time
    I did a New Year's Day Tan Hill loop when I was blown off my bike twice.

    Hope it went well...

    It started well with the drive up. The wind had dropped, there were clear
    blue skies, the sun was shining then it all became overcast once I got to
    within ten miles of my starting point at Reeth. It started to rain at
    Fremington and by the time I'd pulled up on the village parking space/green
    there wasn't a blue bit of sky in sight and the wind had started to build
    up. Within two miles of starting the ride, it was hailing with gusto
    followed by some rain and another period of rain. Five or so miles ahead I
    could see clear skies and sunlit hillsides but they remained permanently out
    of reach. The wind blew most of the rainclouds away but became my major
    adversary as it swung round and became a headwind. It certainly wasn't as
    bad as the New years Day Ride from Hell (TM) but twice I nearly ground to a
    halt as I got closer to the Tan Hill. I've never been able to judge the
    distance between the Sleightholme turning, now used by the W2W route and the
    Tan Hill, it always seems to take an eternity and to day was no different.
    At 11.4 miles, The Tan Hill appeared as I crested the final climb.

    I got a nice surprise when I entered the pub, I was allowed to pul my own
    pint and much to my surprise managed to pull a near perfect pint of
    Theakstones Best Bitter - still had to pay for it though. the pub was doing
    a roaring trade with pub lunches but I settle for a couple of bags of crisps
    to go with the beer. A group of pensioners were impressed with my exploits.
    They'd seen me grinding up from Reeth and thought that I was mad to be out
    in such wild weather. I reluctantlt prised myself away from the bar and
    togged up for the return journey via Keld Thwaite and Gunnerside. I was
    hoping to take advantage of the headwind becoming a tailwind but no such
    luck - the wind had disappeared altogether. The ride back to Reeth was
    uneventful though six miles longer than the outward leg.. It's much easier -
    descents usually are. It was a sad sight to see Keld YH dormant and minus
    its YHA sign by the entrance. I resolved to explored the routes to Hawes
    and Askrigg sometime in the future as I rode past their signposted
    junctions - perhaps when I'm 25% lighter :-)

    I arrived back in Reeth having done the homeward 17 miles half an hour
    faster the the outwards 11.4 miles feeling fresh, invigorated and looking
    forwards to a personal best for my annual mileage in 2007.

    Happy new year!

    -=V=-

  8. On Monday 01 January 2007 19:20, vernon [[email hidden]] wrote in
    message <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "vernon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I aim to be sampling the fine ales of The Tan Hill Inn today after
    cycling there from Reeth. I hope that it's not as windy as the last time
    I did a New Year's Day Tan Hill loop when I was blown off my bike twice.

    At least they have decent windows to keep the draught out ;-)

    Ah, there's a tale behind that advert.

    When they went up to do the filming with Ted Moult, the Tan Hill had one
    of its rare periods of being windless and thay had to rely upon industrial
    sized fans to provide the drafts.

    A friend of mine used to be an insurance salesman who was friends with the
    then owner of Tan Hill. As a favour for a friend he said that the pub
    wasn't exposed so he could give a better insurance deal.

    A few days later the famous Ted Moult advert came out describing Tan Hill as
    the most exposed pub in England and so the friend of mine was called up by
    his boss and told to watch ITV.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.