General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

firesteel works better with a knife

Started by Erik Sandblom · · Last activity · 6 posts · 141 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
3 June 2007
Last activity
20 June 2007
Original author
Erik Sandblom
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
141
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello

    I just read some of the threads about getting firesteel to work. I
    followed Ken's steps below but also used a real knife with a handle
    instead of the dinky little blade you get with the firesteel. The knife is
    bigger and sharper, and gives you more power and control. This is
    especially useful in steps four and five below.

    Scraping off some shavings for extra pyrotechnics is a great tip. With
    that, and using the knife, I found the results quite impressive.

    Before I found this advice I had been at it for a while, making lots of
    sparks, but the only thing to flare was my temper. Maybe later I will
    learn to light wet things like in the advertising hype. Thanks Ken and
    everyone else in these old threads.

    Erik Sandblom

    Ken said:


    Aside from what others have said (cotton wool is a good one), birch bark
    works.Here's how it goes1. Prepare all your wood first; you need an
    armful of very small dry twigs(maybe 3mm diameter), then increasingly
    larger ones. Arrange different sizein piles so they're easy to get to -
    you may need it in a hurry.2. Using a small section of bark, scrape up
    the inside with the back of aknife into tiny shavings; this releases the
    oils in the bark too. The moreyou do, the better.3. Place the bark on a
    hard (dry!) surface and the end of the fire steel inthe middle of the
    bark.4. Scrape some fire steel shavings into the bark. If you it right,
    this willkeep your spark sparking. Again, more you do, the better.5.
    Making sure your tinder is close at hand, with the end of the fire steel
    in the middle of the bark, make the spark.6. Repeat steps 2-5 until you
    get a flame.7. Pick up the flaming bark, and place among your kindling.
    8. Ta-Da! Feel very pleased with yourself.

    --
    Oil is for sissies

  2. Erik Sandblom said:

    Hello

    I just read some of the threads about getting firesteel to work. I
    followed Ken's steps below but also used a real knife with a handle
    instead of the dinky little blade you get with the firesteel. The knife is
    bigger and sharper, and gives you more power and control. This is
    especially useful in steps four and five below.

    Scraping off some shavings for extra pyrotechnics is a great tip. With
    that, and using the knife, I found the results quite impressive.

    Before I found this advice I had been at it for a while, making lots of
    sparks, but the only thing to flare was my temper. Maybe later I will
    learn to light wet things like in the advertising hype. Thanks Ken and
    everyone else in these old threads.

    Erik Sandblom

    Ken said:

    Aside from what others have said (cotton wool is a good one), birch bark
    works.Here's how it goes1. Prepare all your wood first; you need an
    armful of very small dry twigs(maybe 3mm diameter), then increasingly
    larger ones. Arrange different sizein piles so they're easy to get to -
    you may need it in a hurry.2. Using a small section of bark, scrape up
    the inside with the back of aknife into tiny shavings; this releases the
    oils in the bark too. The moreyou do, the better.3. Place the bark on a
    hard (dry!) surface and the end of the fire steel inthe middle of the
    bark.4. Scrape some fire steel shavings into the bark. If you it right,
    this willkeep your spark sparking. Again, more you do, the better.5.
    Making sure your tinder is close at hand, with the end of the fire steel
    in the middle of the bark, make the spark.6. Repeat steps 2-5 until you
    get a flame.7. Pick up the flaming bark, and place among your kindling.
    8. Ta-Da! Feel very pleased with yourself.

    --
    Oil is for sissies

    What is the point exactly?
    If you can make a fire by just rubbing sticks together, fair enough;
    it's a cool skill to have.
    However if you've got to carry a firesteel and whatever, then why not
    carry matches or a lighter instead?

    Whilst I can see the of the fun / novelty element, but surely it's
    just that

    Hywel

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,
    hyweldavies <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    What is the point exactly?
    If you can make a fire by just rubbing sticks together, fair enough;
    it's a cool skill to have.
    However if you've got to carry a firesteel and whatever, then why not
    carry matches or a lighter instead?

    Whilst I can see the of the fun / novelty element, but surely it's
    just that

    It has reliability advantages over matches / lighter:
    Nothing to go wrong other than losing it
    Works when wet (matches and lighter don't)
    Works when cold (lighters get less effective as they get cold)
    Lasts hundreds of uses

    As such it makes a very good backup for matches / lighter which are more
    convenient if they work.

    For most folks they may well be a novelty because they are highly
    unlikely to be in a situation where having one will make a significant
    difference.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  4. Dominic Sexton said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    hyweldavies <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    What is the point exactly?
    If you can make a fire by just rubbing sticks together, fair enough;
    it's a cool skill to have.
    However if you've got to carry a firesteel and whatever, then why not
    carry matches or a lighter instead?

    Quoted message said:

    Whilst I can see the of the fun / novelty element, but surely it's
    just that

    It has reliability advantages over matches / lighter:
    Nothing to go wrong other than losing it
    Works when wet (matches and lighter don't)
    Works when cold (lighters get less effective as they get cold)
    Lasts hundreds of uses

    As such it makes a very good backup for matches / lighter which are more
    convenient if they work.

    For most folks they may well be a novelty because they are highly
    unlikely to be in a situation where having one will make a significant
    difference.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

    I do have one by the way, and it is fun to play with, so not wholly
    negative comment :-)
    Lit the (house) fire with it once too. Very manly I felt.

    Hywel

  5. Den 2007-06-14 21:53:16 skrev hyweldavies <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Dominic Sexton said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    hyweldavies <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    What is the point exactly?
    If you can make a fire by just rubbing sticks together, fair enough;
    it's a cool skill to have.
    However if you've got to carry a firesteel and whatever, then why not
    carry matches or a lighter instead?

    Quoted message said:

    Whilst I can see the of the fun / novelty element, but surely it's
    just that

    It has reliability advantages over matches / lighter:
    Nothing to go wrong other than losing it
    Works when wet (matches and lighter don't)
    Works when cold (lighters get less effective as they get cold)
    Lasts hundreds of uses

    As such it makes a very good backup for matches / lighter which are more
    convenient if they work.

    For most folks they may well be a novelty because they are highly
    unlikely to be in a situation where having one will make a significant
    difference.


    I do have one by the way, and it is fun to play with, so not wholly
    negative comment :-)
    Lit the (house) fire with it once too. Very manly I felt.

    Is firesteel perhaps better in the wind, compared to matches? I find even
    a small amount of wind can make my consumption of matches increase hugely.

    Erik Sandblom
    --
    Oil is for sissies

  6. Dominic Sexton said:

    For most folks they may well be a novelty because they are highly
    unlikely to be in a situation where having one will make a significant
    difference.

    I carry one with my gas stove. It fits neatly in one of the corners
    of the MSR Pcket Rocket case and IME it makes a significant difference
    every time I light the stove. Rain or shine and even in a howling
    gale it lights up with a single strike every time. No soggy matches
    and no singed thunb when I don't retract a [censored] lighter sparker in time
    😉

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.