UK and Europe · Public discussion

Finding a bike that fits.

Started by Rolando · · Last activity · 120 posts · 2,538 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
25 September 2006
Last activity
30 September 2006
Original author
Rolando
Posts
120
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,538
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 120
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Rolando said:

    No, not all folding bikes in existence, only the few that were
    available in the dealers in my area, in the same way that I have not
    been able to try every full size bike made, as I say, I can only try
    what is readily available, if that fails then I have to start searching
    further afield, which is exactly what I'm doing now. Regards Ro..

    Very reasonable thinking, but if you apply the same logic to other
    folders as to other non-folders then it will make sense to look at other
    alternatives beyond the readily available for folders too, will it not?

    In other words, don't write off the ones you haven't tried because the
    ones you did weren't suitable. "Folders are out" just limits your
    chance of a successful search.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  2. Simon Brooke said:

    However, having said all that, I hold to my opinion that for the
    overwhelming majority of people, what you describe as 'extreme racing
    designs' are far and away the most comfortable for anything more than very
    short journeys. Just drape yourself loosely over the bike, slouch, relax,
    go.

    I'm with Nick on this, I'm more comfortable when sitting up straight, or
    sat in an armchair. Slouching forwards to gain comfort is of utility
    for sleeping on a desk, but that's about it. The main point of a
    forward lean on a bike is aerodynamic efficiency, which ultimately
    affects comfort through power reductions and hence tired muscles, but
    otherwise only helps comfort by taking weight off a rather contrived and
    small seat, but only by putting it on arms and hands which haven't
    evolved to take weight.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Peter Clinch said:
    Ben C said:

    Some bike designs must be in some sense more difficult to ride than
    others-- but how can you tell, provided they're all "rideable"? If
    I've got used to riding one kind of bike I'll probably always find a
    different design difficult to start with, even if really it's better.

    A case in point is a standard upright trike. There's no question it's
    an inherently stable design, and most people who have never ridden
    cycles before can get straight on one and ride successfully, but
    people with conventional bike experience find them /very/ unstable on
    corners, because their trained instinct is to lean the vehicle.

    I shall cloak the victim in tactful anonymity, but a gentleman I met during
    a recent audax said he'd taken his uprigh trike out that morning for the
    first time in a while and ridden into the hedge three times in ten yards...

    For my part, I find long-wheelbase recumbents /much/ harder to ride than
    SWB's, whereas just about everyone else reckons the opposite. The number of
    times I fell off Mr. Ballantine's Avatar 2000 gave me cause to think that I
    should never master lying down on two wheels, and it was another six years
    before salvation, in the form of the prototype Kingcycle, appeared.

    --
    Dave Larrington
    <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
    Stop press! Pope still dead...

  4. Nigel Cliffe said:

    Thanks for the clues, though I'm no nearer a definition of stable
    bicycle.

    Prof Bill Patterson has produced a Scholarly Monograph on the subject, at
    least for recumbents, but unfortunately wants Real Money for it.

    Having witnessed Bill cruising happily around Battle Mountain on his
    home-brewed low racer "Pimp Ride" with his hands behind his head, he /may/
    be onto something.

    --
    Dave Larrington
    <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
    Is it an Audi A4?

  5. Alan Braggins said:

    DiBlasi do an upright folding trike, but that's probably easier to
    fall off than the Greensped or ICE, and the front wheel might well
    not be far enough ahead of the centre of mass for you, being similar
    to many folding bikes.

    I am given to understand, though, that the DiBlasi trike weighs slightly
    more than Windsor Castle...

    --
    Dave Larrington
    <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
    My other motto is in Latin.

  6. Simon Brooke said:

    Some mainstream manufacturers (certainly including Giant and Kona)
    make bikes of this general style, but, having seen them, I think
    they'd be hell to ride for anything but a few-hundred-metre cruise
    down a flat street. Giant's 'fashion' range, however, are definitely
    practical and might be suitable for the OP - if you can get past the
    funky styling:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/uk/030.000.000/030.020.000.asp?range=272

    A mate bought one of these:

    <URL:http://www.ransbikes.com/Fusion/Fusion.htm>

    as a winter commuting machine.

    --
    Dave Larrington
    <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
    My other motto is in Latin.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    Mike Causer <[email hidden]> writes:
    |> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:00:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:
    |>
    |> > A stiff frame is definitely good, and small wheels are definitely worse,
    |>
    |> So a very stiff frame with very small wheels amounts to what ???

    A damn good question?

    Regards,
    Nick Maclaren.

  8. Dave Larrington said:


    A mate bought one of these:

    <URL:http://www.ransbikes.com/Fusion/Fusion.htm>

    as a winter commuting machine.

    I don't like the idea of "spunky handling"

    Tom
    --
    Return address is dead. Real address is at
    http://www.box.net/public/0n493oa6y7

  9. In article <[email hidden]>

    Rolando said:

    The suggestion that I learn to slide off the saddle when stopping
    doesn't appeal to me, particularly if I had to stop in an emergency,
    such as a cat, say, running out in front of me, in any event, I used to
    ride bikes quite competently, was able to reach the ground (just)
    whilst still on the saddle, and able to ride for miles with only
    sunburn as a cause of my soreness, but that was in the days when form
    was more important than fashion.

    Did you see the links to lowrider/cruiser type bikes? Although
    'fashionable', they may provide a solution to your problem.

    Quoted message said:

    These days, in almost every walk of
    life, it seems, it is more important how a thing LOOKS than how it
    functions. We seem to be obsessed with gimmickry, why else would
    Mountain Bikes be made that could not, under any circumstances, be used
    on a mountain (just to take one example).

    Because proper mountain bikes are expensive, and most people don't do
    off-road riding anyway, at least nothing rougher than towpaths and
    grass. The so-called mountain bikes that are so common these days are
    just the new utility bikes[1], a major impovement for most people from
    the 'racers' which became ubiquitous in the 1970s when the popularity of
    the old-style roadster utility bike waned. I think you're right about
    gadgets and fads - on my old 70's touring bikes I could out-ride many
    people on skinny high-tech 80's racers and cheap 90's mountain bikes. I
    had a racer and a mountain bike too, but they were used for racing and
    off-roading, to which they were best suited.

    [1] The original mountain bikes were actually based on old American
    cruiser/utility bikes - they were modified to ride up steep hills, so
    low gears, then come bombing back down, so fat tyres and better brakes,
    by the mountain bike pioneers. Off-road machines have a long history in
    the UK - cyclo-cross and grass-track originated in the 1950's, "rough
    stuff" riders had already been using modified touring bikes for a while
    by then, and in the 70's it was common to strip old three-speeds and fit
    bullhorn bars for charging around the woods.

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Rolando" <[email hidden]> writes:
    |>
    |> The suggestion that I learn to slide off the saddle when stopping
    |> doesn't appeal to me, ...

    That is why I suggested buying a bicycle where you could start off
    not needing to do so, at the cost of having the saddle too low and
    putting too much strain on your knees, but where the saddle could
    be raised later as your learnt that technique.

    The point is that it is physically impossible for an upright
    bicycle to avoid both causing knee strain (or even damage) and
    requiring you to slide off the saddle. There just isn't any way
    to get the distances to fit - and that means anyone, not just you.

    If you insist on not needing to leave the saddle to stop, then you
    need a tricycle, a recumbent, a semi-recumbent (as some people
    have pointed out) or to ride with the saddle too low. It's as simple
    as that, and has been since the invention of the safety bicycle.

    |> I used to
    |> ride bikes quite competently, was able to reach the ground (just)
    |> whilst still on the saddle, and able to ride for miles with only
    |> sunburn as a cause of my soreness, but that was in the days when form
    |> was more important than fashion.

    Most younger and some older people can ride bicycles with their knees
    bent (at full stretch) without knee pain or short-term damage, but
    it is not good even for them. If you can still do it, and are happy
    to to so, then you can buy a very small bicycle and be able to get
    your feet down. That is what you did then.

    You are posting to the wrong person if you think that I favour form
    over function. For a very similar bicycle to the one I use, see:

    http://www.batavus.nl/pages/BatavusFiets.aspx?bikeGroupId=301&collection=0

    If yours was an older style than that, I assume that your full name
    is Rolando Methusela!

    Regards,
    Nick Maclaren.

  11. Rolando said:

    but that was in the days when form
    was more important than fashion. These days, in almost every walk of
    life, it seems, it is more important how a thing LOOKS than how it
    functions.

    A Dutch-style roadster is pretty much the same design it's been for a
    loooong time. I cannot ride one /with the saddle set for optimum
    pedalling/ and touch the ground at the same time. It's nothing to do
    with looks, it's the basic geometry: I have to come off the saddle when
    I stop unless there's a kerb handy.

    Quoted message said:

    why else would
    Mountain Bikes be made that could not, under any circumstances, be used
    on a mountain

    Ummmm, mine has been on mountains, and it's far from high specification.

    Quoted message said:

    I would like us to get back to the Old Values, but I know that won't happen.

    I really don't see how a Penny-Farthing will help you...

    For the *functionality* (irrespective of fashion) that you want
    (optimised pedalling combined with easy foot-down) a different basic
    geometry to an upright bike is required, not just to a modern mountain bike.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. Peter Clinch said:

    For the *functionality* (irrespective of fashion) that you want
    (optimised pedalling combined with easy foot-down) a different basic
    geometry to an upright bike is required, not just to a modern mountain
    bike.

    Following up to my own post... there are exceptions with bottom brackets
    lower than "normal" bikes (and that "normal" includes traditional
    designs, not just MTBs). In my own fleet the Brompton, as already
    mentioned, and even more so the Burrows 8 Freight. But the 8 Freight
    isn't an everyday machine and the rider needs to take a fair degree of
    care not to ground it out (both frame and pedals).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  13. Quoting Peter Clinch <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    I really don't see how a Penny-Farthing will help you...

    Well, you _can_ touch the ground while sat on the saddle by applying the
    front brake vigorously. Unfortunately you'll do it with your forehead. :-)
    --
    OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
    e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:okonomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:
    5 top/2 around,color,boulder:0,autoquiver,autodig,disclose:yiyayvygyc,pickup_bu
    rden:burdened,!cmdassist,msg_window:reversed,!sparkle,horsename:Rumiko,showrace

  14. In article <[email hidden]>

    Peter Clinch said:

    Rolando wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I would like us to get back to the Old Values, but I know that won't happen.

    I really don't see how a Penny-Farthing will help you...


    A hobby-horse would - you can definitely get your feet down on them :-)

  15. Simon Brooke said:

    I hold to my opinion that for the overwhelming majority of
    people, what you describe as 'extreme racing designs' are
    far and away the most comfortable for anything more than
    very short journeys.

    I disagree with you and agree with Nick.

    Bicycle designs must compromise between three incompatible
    requirements. (1) For aerodynamic efficiency and speed, the
    bike plus rider must present a small area to the wind. (2)
    To allow the rider to stand on the pedals to generate more
    power on hills, the rider must be over the pedals. (3) For
    comfort, the rider must be a relaxed upright or sitting
    posture.

    The different bicycle designs are different ways to
    compromise between these: recumbents fail requirement (2);
    racing and fast touring designs fail (3) and upright
    roadsters fail (1). No design meets all three requirements.

    If comfort is your most important requirement, then a racing
    bike or similar design is not appropriate.

    --
    Gareth Rees

  16. "Rob Morley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>

    Peter Clinch said:

    Rolando wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I would like us to get back to the Old Values, but I know that won't
    happen.

    I really don't see how a Penny-Farthing will help you...


    A hobby-horse would - you can definitely get your feet down on them :-)

    That'll be one of these then ;-)

    http://www.wooden-bike.co.uk/bikes/likeabike_racer

  17. Quoted message said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    I hold to my opinion that for the overwhelming majority of
    people, what you describe as 'extreme racing designs' are
    far and away the most comfortable for anything more than
    very short journeys.

    I disagree with you and agree with Nick.

    Bicycle designs must compromise between three incompatible
    requirements. (1) For aerodynamic efficiency and speed, the
    bike plus rider must present a small area to the wind. (2)
    To allow the rider to stand on the pedals to generate more
    power on hills, the rider must be over the pedals. (3) For
    comfort, the rider must be a relaxed upright or sitting
    posture.

    You forgot the critical "UCI rules say a racing bike must be made of the
    following bits in the following arrangement".

    As many designs are made which copy the racing rule book, either exactly, or
    in general appearance, that limits the designs on sale. This,
    fundamentally, is why recumbents are expensive niche machines made by
    companies with similar economics to conventional diamond frame custom
    builders.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  18. Much better.

    --
    Bob C
    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Bob C" <patnbobattpg.com.au> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dear Helen,

    At last a post from one of your (sleeping) fans - but please redefine
    your definition of old. (70's)

    Alright then... cyclists who have reached the prime of life.

    Will that do ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  19. Quoted message said:

    Bicycle designs must compromise between three incompatible
    requirements. (1) For aerodynamic efficiency and speed, the
    bike plus rider must present a small area to the wind. (2)
    To allow the rider to stand on the pedals to generate more
    power on hills, the rider must be over the pedals.

    You state this as a "requirement", though it clearly isn't if you've got
    appropriate gearing. I /very/ rarely stand on my pedals.

    Quoted message said:

    The different bicycle designs are different ways to
    compromise between these: recumbents fail requirement (2);

    But since they allow the rider to push against the seat, rather than
    gravity, it's a moot point.

    Quoted message said:

    roadsters fail (1). No design meets all three requirements.

    Recumbents meet them all as long as you realise that pushing against the
    seat is a perfectly good substitute.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  20. Response to Peter Clinch:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The different bicycle designs are different ways to
    compromise between these: recumbents fail requirement (2);

    But since they allow the rider to push against the seat, rather than
    gravity, it's a moot point.

    ISTR reading somewhere [here, very possibly] that one reason recumbents
    may be harder on the knees is that more power may be transmitted by
    pushing against the seat than by standing on the pedals. That chimes
    with what I find, in any case.

    --
    Mark, UK
    "History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of
    urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.