UK and Europe · Public discussion

Ferry + France

Started by ok · · Last activity · 23 posts · 912 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
26 April 2005
Last activity
28 April 2005
Original author
ok
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
912
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. MartinM said:

    I think there is some good riding around there; I have been over on
    the old SeaCat and there was a party of 30 odd bikes all going for a
    day out.

    I've ridden inland from Boulogne en route to the Ardennes and very nice it
    was too, until I swallowed a large fly and subsequently endured a three-hour
    coughing fit which threatened to turn me inside-out.

    Quoted message said:

    Not sure if the speedferries route takes foot passengers/bikes though
    (this may sound bizarre but it is not unknown). Will ask next week, am
    going on it for the weekend, only £50 return for 4 of us plus a car
    ;-)

    Doesn't look as though they do...

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    I have a shell collection, have you seen it? I keep it scattered on the
    world's beaches.

  2. Mike Sales said:

    Smeed's Law relates accident rate to traffic density. I seem
    to recall that France has about twice the U.K.'s Kms. of road,
    but a comparable number of vehicles, so Smeed's Law would
    predict a higher accident rate.

    Quoted message said:

    Smeed's Law is discussed by Robert Davis in "Death on the
    Streets" as a special case of risk compensation.

    Classically it relates vehicle ownership per head (rather than traffic
    density per se) to deaths per vehicle.

    Interesting Australian paper here:

    http://agbu.une.edu.au/~drobinso/SNrv.pdf

    "Safety in Numbers: more walkers and bicyclists, safer walking and
    bicycling"

    James Thomson

  3. "James Thomson" wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Classically it relates vehicle ownership per head (rather than traffic
    density per se) to deaths per vehicle.

    The simplest and classic statement of the law is that the number of accdents
    at a T junction is related to the square (? if I remember correctly) root of
    the vehicle movements through it.

    Mike Sales

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.