Road Cycling · Public discussion

Ferry/bike commuter article and video

Started by Claire Petersky · · Last activity · 7 posts · 931 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
2 June 2008
Last activity
9 June 2008
Original author
Claire Petersky
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
931
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Since I was recently criticized for linking and running, this should be a
    slightly
    more annotated post.

    An article about increased commuter use of the ferries, over yonder:

    http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/bir/news/19029979.html

    A video of what it looks like these days:

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Claire Petersky said:

    Since I was recently criticized for linking and running, this should be a
    slightly
    more annotated post.

    An article about increased commuter use of the ferries, over yonder:

    http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/bir/news/19029979.html

    A video of what it looks like these days:

    I can't do youtube with my paleolithic computer system
    and cheapie dialup internet account, but I'm assuming
    this is yet another sign of visibly increased bicycle use.
    It's quite interesting to observe. I frequently see
    many of our publicly available parking racks filled to
    capacity and beyond, when not so long ago one might see
    one or two bikes parked there. I think we're going to
    need a lot more facilities for bicycle parking and
    multimodal commuting, including more parking racks, larger
    carrying racks on public transit buses, and more bike lockers
    c/o Translink (our local public transit authority.)
    I wouldn't be surprised if BC ferries are experiencing
    an upsurge in cycle-commuting passengers as well.

    Actually I'd like to see The City implementing public
    rain shelters which incorporate not only dry bicycle
    parking, but also picnic tables and maybe some
    bring-your-own-briquets hibachis for a little grilling,
    and keeping warm in the winter. If The City is concerned
    about such places inducing loitering and subsequent crime,
    they could encourage combination street food vendors/
    security guards to congregate around them, while also
    keeping their eyes on people's parked bikes. I wouldn't
    mind leaving my bike in the care of someone who could
    not only serve-up a good Mr Tubesteak, but could also
    tai-kwan-do a would-be bike thief into a couple of months
    of recuperation. And -- no rain-soaked saddle onto which
    to park one's nether regions; not even having to tie a
    plastic shopping bag onto it.

    There are no decent public rain shelters in Vancouver.
    In fact, the bus stop shelters are designed to funnel
    the weather /in/. Well, I exaggerate (a little,) but
    it often seems that way.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  3. "Tom Keats" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Claire Petersky said:

    Since I was recently criticized for linking and running, this should be a
    slightly
    more annotated post.

    An article about increased commuter use of the ferries, over yonder:

    http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/bir/news/19029979.html

    A video of what it looks like these days:

    I can't do youtube with my paleolithic computer system
    and cheapie dialup internet account, but I'm assuming
    this is yet another sign of visibly increased bicycle use.

    Yeah, just a short vid of people pouring off of the ferry on their bikes. It
    used to be that there'd be just a handful; now there's enough that they're
    talking (per the article) loading one less car so they can cram on more
    bikes - they actually make more money by stacking 10 bikes in the spot a
    single car takes up.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  4. "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Tom Keats" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Claire Petersky said:


    A video of what it looks like these days:

    Yeah, just a short vid of people pouring off of the ferry on their bikes.
    It used to be that there'd be just a handful; now there's enough that
    they're talking (per the article) loading one less car so they can cram on
    more bikes - they actually make more money by stacking 10 bikes in the
    spot a single car takes up.

    The story was good, but the video really brings home what 100+ bike
    commuters look like. That a lot of folks.

  5. Claire Petersky said:

    Since I was recently criticized for linking and running, this should be a
    slightly
    more annotated post.

    An article about increased commuter use of the ferries, over yonder:

    http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/bir/news/19029979.html

    A video of what it looks like these days:


    In 1972 I spent a few days in Amsterdam, staying on a sleeping barge
    behind the main railway station. I would take the ferry from near the
    barge to and from the railway station, and there would always be hordes
    of cyclists pouring off the barge, a scattering of mopeds, and one or
    two cars looking very lost and out of place. Nice to see those days
    returning.

    mark

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Claire Petersky said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    An article about increased commuter use of the ferries, over yonder:

    http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/bir/news/19029979.html

    A video of what it looks like these days:

    I can't do youtube with my paleolithic computer system
    and cheapie dialup internet account, but I'm assuming
    this is yet another sign of visibly increased bicycle use.

    Yeah, just a short vid of people pouring off of the ferry on their bikes. It
    used to be that there'd be just a handful; now there's enough that they're
    talking (per the article) loading one less car so they can cram on more
    bikes - they actually make more money by stacking 10 bikes in the spot a
    single car takes up.

    One interesting feature I've noticed about recent
    increased ridership is that I'm suddenly experiencing
    being passed *on my right* by other riders, scooting
    through my door-zone safety margin.

    Personally, I don't mind being passed, either on my
    right or on my left. When I'm riding back home with
    a dozen eggs in the milk crate, I shall not compete
    with anyone.

    But I get worried that these passers-on-my-right
    are gonna get creamed either by dooring, or by a
    car pulling out of or into a driveway, when the
    driver might see me but not expect anybody being
    to the right of me. Especially around the Vancouver
    Racquets Club, where drivers perform all kinds of
    gnarly and possibly unlawful maneouvers to get off
    the street and into the parking lot. Sometimes I
    can be such a worry wart. But if any of these riders
    gets clobbered, I'd bet dollars to doughnut holes they'll
    hang up the bike, and warn-off everybody they know, about
    how cycling is too dangerous.

    I intuit these folks who pass me on my right are new
    urban riders who may have tinkered with BMX or other
    bikes in their youth, and who like to think they're fast
    and are therefore "skilled" riders (and I'm happy to help
    make 'em feel good,) but are timid about venturing deeply
    into where the motorized traffic goes, which is what proper
    and safe passing to the left would involve.

    Oh, well. At least they're not riding on the sidewalk.
    At least when they're passing me on my right.

    And I'm getting my dozen eggs home intact.

    Have you ever noticed how a dozen eggs survives the
    bike trip home from the supermarket better than a
    half-dozen eggs?

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  7. Claire Petersky said:

    "Tom Keats" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    I can't do youtube with my paleolithic computer system
    and cheapie dialup internet account, but I'm assuming
    this is yet another sign of visibly increased bicycle use.

    Yeah, just a short vid of people pouring off of the ferry on their bikes. It
    used to be that there'd be just a handful; now there's enough that they're
    talking (per the article) loading one less car so they can cram on more
    bikes - they actually make more money by stacking 10 bikes in the spot a
    single car takes up.

    I finally got around to watching the video. My my, there really are
    quite a few pouring off. I was using the ferry yesterday, and I saw
    more cyclists than I normally do (even though it wasn't a commute day).

    Taking the bike on the ferry is much nicer than the car anyway. Being
    able to jump the queue, and never having to worry about 'will I fit on
    this one, or have to wait for the next one (or the one after that)' is
    really nice.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    "Fool-proof implies a finite number of fools."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.