General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Feeding the masses... (party food)

Started by OmManiPadmeOmelet · · Last activity · 35 posts · 1,117 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 December 2005
Last activity
5 December 2005
Original author
OmManiPadmeOmelet
Posts
35
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,117
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 35
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    Baked potato or yam fries
    Popcorn
    Buffalo wings
    Spagetti
    Pasta salad

    just to start.......
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  2. x-no-archive: yes

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    Baked potato or yam fries
    Popcorn
    Buffalo wings
    Spagetti
    Pasta salad

    just to start.......

    If it's a large party and folks will be balancing plates in laps or
    while standing, I think baked ziti is a better bet than spaghetti. Food
    should be in bite sized pieces, easy to manipulate without cutting.
    Buffalo wings are too messy with too much debris for my liking, though
    they are cheap. If you don't make them too drippy, they can pass my
    test. Caesar salad sprinkled with shredded parmesan is usually a hit
    anywhere I go.

    Crudite and dip are colorful, and not expensive, especially if you do
    the cutting yourself. Likewise, buying some large flatbreads, layering
    them with coldcuts, sun dried tomatoes and/or some greens, then rolling
    them up and cutting slices that look like pinwheels are easy to make,
    visually appealing, and there's little waste, if they're cut into half
    inch rounds. Bruschetta is easy to make by having the bakery slice some
    baguettes Or Italian bread for you into 1/4" slices, then top with store
    bought or homemade bruschetta topping.

    Or you can have a chili party; make cornbread to go with it, with a
    salad and some tortilla chips. Serve with shredded cheddar, minced
    onion or scallions, and sour cream for garnish.

    Susan

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Susan said:

    x-no-archive: yes

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    Baked potato or yam fries
    Popcorn
    Buffalo wings
    Spagetti
    Pasta salad

    just to start.......

    If it's a large party and folks will be balancing plates in laps or
    while standing, I think baked ziti is a better bet than spaghetti. Food
    should be in bite sized pieces, easy to manipulate without cutting.

    Agreed...
    So a smaller, non-noodly pasta with a good marinara sauce and
    mini-meatballs.

    I think swedish meatballs also go over well as do "little smokies", but
    the little smokie sausages are NOT cheap. Just easy.

    I've seen them "stretched" by mixing them with baked beans.

    Quoted message said:

    Buffalo wings are too messy with too much debris for my liking, though
    they are cheap. If you don't make them too drippy, they can pass my
    test. Caesar salad sprinkled with shredded parmesan is usually a hit
    anywhere I go.

    But they seem to be good for football parties... Those guys don't care
    about the mess! <G> Just place trashcans strategically for the bones.

    Quoted message said:


    Crudite and dip are colorful, and not expensive, especially if you do
    the cutting yourself.

    I do those for holidays. Cheese balls are also always a hit and just
    arrange a variety of crackers around them. Wheat thins go over well and
    one box goes a long way.

    I agree with crudites, especially olives, brocolli, cauliflower, celery
    sticks with a bowl of ranch dressing in the middle.

    Quoted message said:

    Likewise, buying some large flatbreads, layering
    them with coldcuts, sun dried tomatoes and/or some greens, then rolling
    them up and cutting slices that look like pinwheels are easy to make,
    visually appealing, and there's little waste, if they're cut into half
    inch rounds.

    I like that idea!
    Bagel chunks and cream cheese also go well and at new years, a container
    of inexpensive lox trimmings work and canned caviar in another bowl.

    Quoted message said:

    Bruschetta is easy to make by having the bakery slice some
    baguettes Or Italian bread for you into 1/4" slices, then top with store
    bought or homemade bruschetta topping.

    Or you can have a chili party; make cornbread to go with it, with a
    salad and some tortilla chips. Serve with shredded cheddar, minced
    onion or scallions, and sour cream for garnish.

    Susan

    Tortilla chips and salsa, and a small crockpot of chili con queso is
    always at the parties at work! ;-d
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  4. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    Baked potato or yam fries
    Popcorn
    Buffalo wings
    Spagetti
    Pasta salad


    Here are some ot the thigns I like:
    Zwiebelkuchen (aGerman classic: sauteed onions and sour cream baked on
    top of bread dough)
    a couscous a bulghur salad
    drained antural yoghurt mixed with whiped cream and canned,
    semi-belndered peaches
    home made cole slaw
    zaziki

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    Baked potato or yam fries
    Popcorn
    Buffalo wings
    Spagetti
    Pasta salad

    This depends. Are you talking about a lunch, dinner, cocktail party?
    Buffet or sit down service?

    One thing to consider for a party is sticking to a theme such as
    Italian, Portuguese, Mexican, Chinese, or French for the food.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    jake said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    Baked potato or yam fries
    Popcorn
    Buffalo wings
    Spagetti
    Pasta salad


    Here are some ot the thigns I like:
    Zwiebelkuchen (aGerman classic: sauteed onions and sour cream baked on
    top of bread dough)

    German "pizza"? :-)

    Quoted message said:

    a couscous a bulghur salad
    drained antural yoghurt mixed with whiped cream and canned,
    semi-belndered peaches
    home made cole slaw
    zaziki

    What is zaziki?
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Stan Horwitz said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    Baked potato or yam fries
    Popcorn
    Buffalo wings
    Spagetti
    Pasta salad

    This depends. Are you talking about a lunch, dinner, cocktail party?
    Buffet or sit down service?

    Large party/gathering, or a small group of freinds.

    I've been at events that were feeding 500 people where everyone brought
    potluck to feed 20 people each.

    SCA events often cater to 50 to 150 people.
    Large pots of stew or spagetti are often served there.
    I went to one that was making a beef stew for about 75
    people. Commercial rolls on the side. I got bored and volunteered to
    help make dinner.

    They liked that. <G>

    I've had private parties with 6 to 12 buddies to play RPG's.
    The idea is cheap and yummy. :-)

    Quoted message said:


    One thing to consider for a party is sticking to a theme such as
    Italian, Portuguese, Mexican, Chinese, or French for the food.

    Why not mix it up?
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  8. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    Don't know what you call it, but it's a large flour tortilla spread in
    thin layers with refried beans, cheese, guacamole, salsa, and whatever
    else seems to fit (like sliced black olives?). You roll it into a
    tight cylinder then cut into bite-sized portions. Secure with
    toothpicks if necessary. I've had it at many large parties and never
    seen any left over. -aem

  9. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    Baked potato or yam fries
    Popcorn
    Buffalo wings
    Spagetti
    Pasta salad

    just to start.......

    Are the guests sitting at a table or not? If the guests are not at a table I
    never serve any food that requires more than one utensil, so only finger or
    fork food, and nothing that needs to be cut to eat unless you can cut it
    easily with a foork, like cake.

    How large a crowd are you thinking about. I just did a party with about 40
    guests and chicken wings would have been prohibitive to produce in mass
    quantities like that, I'd have to do them in batches, and there would never be
    enough wings out at any given time.

    Stuffed crescent rolls and bruschetta were my lifesavers. Super easy to make
    and I could production line them. I had 3 variations for each, so it looked
    like a lot more variety than there was. Veggie sushi was also a hit, super
    easy, incredibly cheap (if you have the basics on hand, which I always do).

    at a separate table I had a giant cheese platter with 5 kinds of cheese,
    bread, crackers, olives, jam, peppers, and spiced nuts.

    I love love love party planning, I wish I could throw a party every weekend!

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  10. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    devilled eggs
    breadsticks, rolls, biscuits
    red beans and rice
    quiche, frittata
    pasta with olive oil or butter and garlic

    Tara

  11. On Fri 02 Dec 2005 07:07:19p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Tara?

    Quoted message said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    devilled eggs
    breadsticks, rolls, biscuits
    red beans and rice
    quiche, frittata
    pasta with olive oil or butter and garlic

    Depends on local pricing, but wings can be very inexpensive.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________________________

    A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    aem said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    Don't know what you call it, but it's a large flour tortilla spread in
    thin layers with refried beans, cheese, guacamole, salsa, and whatever
    else seems to fit (like sliced black olives?). You roll it into a
    tight cylinder then cut into bite-sized portions. Secure with
    toothpicks if necessary. I've had it at many large parties and never
    seen any left over. -aem

    Burrito rolls?

    Yummy!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    The Bubbo said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    Baked potato or yam fries
    Popcorn
    Buffalo wings
    Spagetti
    Pasta salad

    just to start.......

    Are the guests sitting at a table or not? If the guests are not at a table I
    never serve any food that requires more than one utensil, so only finger or
    fork food, and nothing that needs to be cut to eat unless you can cut it
    easily with a foork, like cake.

    How large a crowd are you thinking about. I just did a party with about 40
    guests and chicken wings would have been prohibitive to produce in mass
    quantities like that, I'd have to do them in batches, and there would never be
    enough wings out at any given time.

    Stuffed crescent rolls and bruschetta were my lifesavers. Super easy to make
    and I could production line them. I had 3 variations for each, so it looked
    like a lot more variety than there was. Veggie sushi was also a hit, super
    easy, incredibly cheap (if you have the basics on hand, which I always do).

    Now there is a novel idea! :-)
    I've not made sushi rolls in ages...
    I do have Nori and a mat, but I'd have to get the sticky rice.....

    Quoted message said:


    at a separate table I had a giant cheese platter with 5 kinds of cheese,
    bread, crackers, olives, jam, peppers, and spiced nuts.

    Cheese platters are always a good idea, especially if you add some fruit
    like lemon treated apple slices (lemon keeps them from turning brown)
    and chunks of canned pineapple. But THAT is not inexpensive! <lol>

    Quoted message said:


    I love love love party planning, I wish I could throw a party every weekend!


    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tara said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    devilled eggs
    breadsticks, rolls, biscuits
    red beans and rice
    quiche, frittata
    pasta with olive oil or butter and garlic

    Tara

    Devilled eggs are always popular! :-)
    They are just a lot of work tho'.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Fri 02 Dec 2005 07:07:19p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Tara?

    Quoted message said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    devilled eggs
    breadsticks, rolls, biscuits
    red beans and rice
    quiche, frittata
    pasta with olive oil or butter and garlic

    Depends on local pricing, but wings can be very inexpensive.

    I get them in the 5 lb. frozen bags, then cook them in the electric
    grill.

    If I had a LARGE batch to do, I'd fire up the oven.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  16. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Okay, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in disussing party
    foods. Foods to feed a large crowd that are simple, quick and, most
    important, inexpensive.

    Baked potato or yam fries
    Popcorn
    Buffalo wings
    Spagetti
    Pasta salad

    just to start.......

    Gumbo

    modom

  17. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    I think swedish meatballs also go over well as do "little smokies", but
    the little smokie sausages are NOT cheap. Just easy.

    No, no, no! Never Swedish meatballs! <waving arms willdly in the
    air> The Norwegian ones are far more flavorful. LOL!

    I've never understood why the Swedish ones have caught on so strongly
    when much better ones are sitting right around the corner.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Norwegian Meatballs

    Recipe By 😄amsel
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : main dishes meatballs-loaves

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 1/2 pounds ground beef
    1/2 pound ground pork
    1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon ginger
    1/8 teaspoon cloves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon corn starch
    1 large egg

    1. Mix all ingredients well.
    2. Roll into small balls. Brown in butter in a dutch oven or large
    saucepan.
    3. Cover with water and simmer for two hours on stovetop or in 350°F
    oven.
    4. Serve over egg noodles.

    Note: I like to thicken the sauce by adding a slurry of cornstarch
    and cold water toward the end of cooking. I've recently confirmed
    with my native Norwegian neighbor that she thickens hers, too.

    Cuisine:
    "Scandinavian"
    Source:
    "Pat Zastera"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    --

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

  18. aem said:

    Don't know what you call it, but it's a large flour tortilla spread in
    thin layers with refried beans, cheese, guacamole, salsa, and whatever
    else seems to fit (like sliced black olives?). You roll it into a
    tight cylinder then cut into bite-sized portions. Secure with
    toothpicks if necessary. I've had it at many large parties and never
    seen any left over.

    Here's a recipe that I've had since before anyone ever heard of a
    wrap. Just don't ask me how many tortillas you'll need. Most people
    eat them until they're literally sick the first time. They go over
    very well.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Tortilla Roll-Ups

    Recipe By 😄amsel
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:30
    Categories : appetizers

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 ounces sour cream
    4 ounces mild green chilies
    3 ounces cream cheese -- softened
    1/4 cup olives (black or green) -- chopped
    2 cups cheddar cheese -- shredded
    garlic powder -- to taste
    tabasco sauce -- to taste

    Combine all ingredients.
    Spread mixture on 2/3 of flour tortilla (8-inch).
    Roll up , working toward the plain 1/3 of the tortilla.
    Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
    Slice into approximately 3/4" slices.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Serving Ideas : Serve with salsa.
    --

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

  19. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Depends on local pricing, but wings can be very inexpensive.

    I get them in the 5 lb. frozen bags, then cook them in the electric
    grill.

    If I had a LARGE batch to do, I'd fire up the oven.

    Two wing recipes:

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Charliam's Favorite Chicken Wings (Cracklin' Wings)

    Recipe By :Pat (Cryambers)
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : appetizers poultry

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    24 whole chicken wings
    1 cup flour
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon celery seed
    1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper -- ground
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Optional:
    1/2 cup butter
    4 1/2 ounces hot sauce -- Frank's
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 lime -- juiced

    * Seasonings are just a suggestion

    1. Wash chicken wings and pat dry. Separate drummies from paddles,
    and cut off wing tips -reserve for another use.
    2. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil and spray with nonstick cooking
    spray. Put flour, pepper, garlic powder and salt in ziplock bag;
    shake to mix. Add wing pieces, a few at a time, and shake to coat.
    Put flour-coated wings on foil-covered cookie sheets. Bake in
    preheated 375°F oven for 1 1/2 hours, moving wing pieces around after
    45 minutes so they won't stick to the foil.
    3. When wings are done, melt butter in medium saucepan. Add hot
    sauce, vinegar, and lime juice. Turn off heat. Toss wings with sauce
    and serve.

    Yield:
    "48 pieces"
    Start to Finish Time:
    "2:15"

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Serving Ideas : Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese or ranch
    dressing

    NOTES : Named in honor of Charlie (Liam) Gifford. I call them
    "Cracklin' Wings" because they're so crisp. (Damsel)

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Mahogany Chicken Wings

    Recipe By 😄amsel
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : appetizers poultry

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup hoisin sauce
    1/4 cup plum sauce
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup saki (rice wine)
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon garlic -- finely minced
    1 bunch green onions -- finely minced
    5 pounds chicken wings

    Combine all ingredients except chicken. Bring to a boil, lower heat,
    and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes. Cool.

    Cut wings at joints, forming "drummies," "sticks," and "tips". Discard
    tips, or save for making soup stock.

    Place wings in a container for marinating (Zip-Loc bags work great for
    this), then cover with sauce. Refrigerate at least overnight, up to
    two days. Turn occasionally.

    Line two large jelly roll pans with aluminum foil. Coat with
    vegetable oil or shortening to minimize sticking. Preheat oven to
    375°F.

    Place individual chicken pieces on pans and bake, uncovered, for 20
    minutes. Remove liquified chicken fat and juices from pan. Turn
    chicken pieces and baste with marinating sauce.

    Bake another 20 minutes, turn chicken and baste. Repeat twice more,
    watching carefully during the last baking cycle, so the sauce doesn't
    burn.

    Cuisine:
    "Asian"
    Yield:
    "5 dozen"
    Serving Ideas : Serve hot or cold.

    NOTES : 2nd Annual Twin Cities RFC Picnic

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    --

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

  20. On Fri 02 Dec 2005 08:40:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
    dis Dress?

    Quoted message said:

    Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
    Subject: Re: Feeding the masses... (party food)
    From: Damsel in dis Dress <[email hidden]>
    Reply-To: [email hidden]

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Depends on local pricing, but wings can be very inexpensive.

    I get them in the 5 lb. frozen bags, then cook them in the electric
    grill.

    If I had a LARGE batch to do, I'd fire up the oven.

    Two wing recipes:

    And great recipes they are, Carol. I'm glad you posted them again!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________________________

    A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.