Referring to another thread... :-)
What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended ๐ sports drink? What's the secret
for the ultimate cycling fuel?
--
Risto Varanka | helsinki.fihpv.htmlOpen โ varis at no spam please iki fi
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Road Cycling ยท Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Referring to another thread... :-)
What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended ๐ sports drink? What's the secret
for the ultimate cycling fuel?
--
Risto Varanka | helsinki.fihpv.htmlOpen โ varis at no spam please iki fi
On 20 Jul 2003 21:10:26 GMT, [email hidden] from University of
Helsinki said:Referring to another thread... :-)
What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended ๐ sports drink? What's the secret
for the ultimate cycling fuel?
A whole wheat bagel with cream cheese and honey. Yum.
--
home.sport.rr.comcuthuluOpen โ human rights = peace Mmmmmm-MMMMMM!! A plate of STEAMING PIECES of
a PIG mixed with the shreds of SEVERAL CHICKENS!! ... Oh BOY!! I'm about to swallow a TORN- OFF
section of a COW'S LEFT LEG soaked in COTTONSEED OIL and SUGAR!! ... Let's see ... Next, I'll have
the GROUND-UP flesh of CUTE, BABY LAMBS fried in the MELTED, FATTY TISSUES from a warm-blooded
animal someone once PETTED!! ... YUM!! That was GOOD!! For DESSERT, I'll have a TOFU BURGER with
BEAN SPROUTS on a stone-ground, WHOLE WHEAT BUN!!
4:52:27 PM 20 July 2003
Not really a home-brew (it's a mix), but my favorite is Crystal Lite in the grapefruit flavor. Very
refreshing and tasty. If I want calories, gorp does the trick.
- GRL
"It's good to want things."
Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)
<[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Referring to another thread... :-)
What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended ๐ sports drink? What's the secret
for the ultimate cycling fuel?--
Risto Varanka | helsinki.fihpv.htmlOpen โ varis at no spam please iki fi
Quoted message said:Referring to another thread... :-)
What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended ๐ sports drink? What's the secret
for the ultimate cycling fuel?
I use a recipe I found on the Internet (it may originally be from John Forester's book): 1 2-qt
envelope of Kool-Aid powder, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 tsp salt. Makes 2 quarts. I mentioned it to my
doctor (who is also a cyclist, though I don't know how serious), and he said it sounded fine; he
also said he usually suggested powdered Gatorade mixed at half-strength.
I find that kiwi-strawberry flavor is lighter and not as sticky-tasting as some of the other
flavors, while cherry goes well with fig bars.
I'm thinking about trying it without the Kool-Aid.
--
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes--our ancestors. It is the democracy
of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who merely
happen to be walking around."
-- G.K. Chesterton
I use organic white grape juice diluted with water. It works real well, tastes great and it's
real food!
<[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Referring to another thread... :-)
What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended ๐ sports drink? What's the secret
for the ultimate cycling fuel?--
Risto Varanka | helsinki.fihpv.htmlOpen โ varis at no spam please iki fi
Quoted message said:Referring to another thread... :-)
What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended ๐ sports drink? What's the secret
for the ultimate cycling fuel?
I use about 100 cc of dextrose and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large water bottle.
--
To reply by e-mail, be polite. Rudeness will get you nowhere.
Scott Munro said:I'm thinking about trying it without the Kool-Aid.
Actually, I like it better without the Kool-Aid. 3 tbsp. sugar and 1/3 tsp. salt per 24-oz bottle.
--
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes--our ancestors. It is the democracy
of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who merely
happen to be walking around."
-- G.K. Chesterton
Larry Schuldt <[email hidden]> wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Referring to another thread... :-)
What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended ๐ sports drink? What's the secret
for the ultimate cycling fuel?I use about 100 cc of dextrose and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large water bottle.
Where can you buy pure dextrose in the USA? All they have at the super market is sucrose.
TIA,
- Boyd S.
In article <[email hidden]>, Boyd Speerschneider
Quoted message said:Larry Schuldt <[email hidden]> wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Referring to another thread... :-)
What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended ๐ sports drink? What's the
secret for the ultimate cycling fuel?I use about 100 cc of dextrose and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large water bottle.
Where can you buy pure dextrose in the USA? All they have at the super market is sucrose.
The first place I'd look for it would be a certain local specialty foods store that I *know* has it
(Famous Foods Ltd, in Vancouver BC).
Other possiblities might include wine/beer home brewing shops, health food stores, or even plain old
drugsores.
cheers, Tom
--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca
Boyd Speerschneider said:
Larry Schuldt <[email hidden]> wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Referring to another thread... :-)
What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended ๐ sports drink? What's the
secret for the ultimate cycling fuel?I use about 100 cc of dextrose and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large water bottle.
Where can you buy pure dextrose in the USA? All they have at the super market is sucrose.
Baking supply aisle. Dextrose = glucose ("right handed" form)
= corn syrup. You can buy it in tablet form from the pharmacy.
It's used by diabetics to counter low blood sugar.
Worse comes to worst, you could probably just dilute any non-caffeinated soda, since they're not
much more than corn syrup and water.
Boyd Speerschneider said:
Where can you buy pure dextrose in the USA? All they have at the super market is sucrose.TIA,
- Boyd S.
Sorry about the delay in replying. I had to wait until I went home to look up where I bought it. It
came from an outfit called Supplement Direct. They have a web site at
supplementdirect.comsupplementdirect.comOpen โ. Currently an 11 pound container is $10 from them.
Regards, larry
--
To reply by e-mail, be polite. Rudeness will get you nowhere.
Uh...water and jelly beans...sometimes Lance's (no, not him) Toast-chee peanut butter
cheese crackers.
Quoted message said:Referring to another thread... :-)
What do you put in your homebrew (dunno if that pun is intended ๐ sports drink? What's the secret
for the ultimate cycling fuel?
I haven't made my own drink (though I have made my own bars), but I've found Gu2o to be effective,
and I bet it's easy enough to make:
Maltodextrin, Fructose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Potassium Citrate, Natural colors/flavors.
It's been the most effective fuel for sustained excersize for me.
--
Rick Onanian
GRL said:Not really a home-brew (it's a mix), but my favorite is Crystal Lite grapefruit flavor. Very
refreshing and tasty.
Along these lines, I recently noticed that my girlfriend's lemon-flavored iced tea mix, which I
think was Nestea brand, had a similar ingredient list to Gu2o [the drink I like]. I'll bet it'd make
a good, and very inexpensive, sports drink.
Quoted message said:If I want calories,gorp does the trick.
What is gorp?
--
Rick Onanian
Boyd Speerschneider said:Where can you buy pure dextrose in the USA? All they have at the super market is sucrose.
Supermarkets around here have Fructose, also.
Quoted message said:TIA,
- Boyd S.
--
Rick Onanian
GORP - Good Old Raisins & Peanuts 8-)
Dave
--
In article said:GRL said:Not really a home-brew (it's a mix), but my favorite is Crystal Lite grapefruit flavor. Very
refreshing and tasty.Along these lines, I recently noticed that my girlfriend's lemon-flavored iced tea mix, which I
think was Nestea brand, had a similar ingredient list to Gu2o [the drink I like]. I'll bet it'd
make a good, and very inexpensive, sports drink.Quoted message said:If I want calories,gorp does the trick.
What is gorp?
Powered Walmart sports drink mix and water.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:15:25 GMT, "James Messick" <[email hidden]> from RoadRunner -
Triad said:Powered Walmart sports drink mix and water.
OK, Wal-Mart is being mentioned way too many times as a place to go to buy things. Have you people
forgotten that Wal-Mart is Satan?
Check this out:
walmartwatch.comwalmartwatch.comOpen โ
And boycott Wal-Mart!
--
home.sport.rr.comcuthuluOpen โ human rights = peace If it GLISTENS, gobble it!!
11:19:29 PM 23 July 2003
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:43:16 -0400, <[email hidden]>, Rick Onanian
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:If I want calories,gorp does the trick.
What is gorp?
a.k.a. "trail mix" with nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, etc.
--
zk
In article said:Along these lines, I recently noticed that my girlfriend's lemon-flavored iced tea mix
That's what I often use, except I get a cheaper bulk mix. I've found it's best to mix it fairly
thin, otherwise the sugar content actually gets dehydrating for me.
Popping into a store and getting a nicely chilled bottle of Snapple[tm] lemon iced tea is good, too.
Better than soda pop -- no phosphoric acid afterburn or cloying sweetness.
cheers, Tom
--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users ยท 0 guests ยท0 bots ยท0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.