Looking at it only in terms of safety, wouldn't you all agree that a protec type helment would be a lot safer in an accident with a car than your usual road helment?[img]rds.yahoo.compro tec ace water helmet.jpgOpen ↗[/img]
Bike Cafe · Public discussion
Extreme helment on a road bike?
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Bike Cafe
- Published
- 14 August 2006
- Last activity
- 23 August 2006
- Original author
- tyler1212
- Posts
- 12
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,544
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Your link isn't working - but if I am right thinking its some sort of full face, motocycle /downhill style helmet I can think of a few reasons why this would not be practical on a road bike.
1. Hot! I can't even imagine how hot you would get wearing a helmet like that
2. Heavy! - I would think the forward neck extended and looking up position of a road bike with drop bars would make wearing a helmet like that next to impossible for any period of time without severe neck muscle fatique and pain. -
I think I found his link...too many characters.
wakeside.compro tec ace water helmet.jpgOpen ↗
Still looks like a very hot helmet, probably good for the colder months though.
-
____
-
Actually that helmet is likely only slightly better than what we normally wear. The hockey type helmets with the face guard would help the most to prevent face injuries of the type when a rider does a face plant for whatever reason.
Frankly, though, of all of us who ride, how many of us have had serious injury? Is it such an incidence that I, who have ridden for 38 years or so is destined to break a bone or have a serious injury?
-
[IMG]wakeside.compro tec ace water helmet.jpgOpen ↗[/IMG]
I have two of them, wearing it everytime I ride my bike. I have one Giro helmet, used just once, never used again.
People posted their opinion here never tried Protec, assuming they already know about something they never used, saying, "It looks like...."
It's not the heat build up inside the helmet that is bothering but the sweat pouring down the face, and it makes no differece which type of helmt you wear. In that case, you wear helmet liner and it takes care of it.
What's better about the Protec helmet, or more precisely what's bad about the Giro cycling specific helmet, is that it sits on the head and moves around, it makes you wonder how it's going to protect your head when something hit it. Protec helmet fits snuggly all around, you don't even have to pull the strap tight against the skin.
Someone mentioned, (again, on assumption that it looks like...) it's heavy. My helmet weighs 350g, while Giro helemts weigh generally about 280 to 300g. It's not even close to the point your neck gets so tired, you have to take a break to rest your neck. In fact it's opposite. You forget you were wearing a helmet after 6o miles of riding feeling like it becomes a part of you. Nobody ever came up to me and ask, "Isn't it too heavy and hot?"
I don't pretend to be Tour de France racer or dress like one. This is what I chose based on my best interest upon trying both types.
-
I really like those pro-tec helmets, but my only concern would be a practical one. Those helmets are not designed to do what bicycle helmets do. If I'm up a mountain and take a short fall and bounce my helmet off the rock, I can't replace it straight away. Same as if I was in a war zone, I can't just swap to a new helmet.
When a bike helmet takes an impact off a car or whatever, it reacts different to those other helmets. It will deform and splinter as programed. Then you trudge off down the shop and buy another...
The lack of ventilation is an issue too, for me... as aussie summers ensure 3-5 months where nearly every day is between 30-42c. And thats in the shade. Also, where I work, we have police on mtbs that often do raids on riders and check helmets and lights.
-
allgoo19 said:
[img]wakeside.compro tec ace water helmet.jpgOpen ↗[/img]
I have two of them, wearing it everytime I ride my bike. I have one Giro helmet, used just once, never used again.
People posted their opinion here never tried Protec, assuming they already know about something they never used, saying, "It looks like...."
It's not the heat build up inside the helmet that is bothering but the sweat pouring down the face, and it makes no differece which type of helmt you wear. In that case, you wear helmet liner and it takes care of it.
What's better about the Protec helmet, or more precisely what's bad about the Giro cycling specific helmet, is that it sits on the head and moves around, it makes you wonder how it's going to protect your head when something hit it. Protec helmet fits snuggly all around, you don't even have to pull the strap tight against the skin.
Someone mentioned, (again, on assumption that it looks like...) it's heavy. My helmet weighs 350g, while Giro helemts weigh generally about 280 to 300g. It's not even close to the point your neck gets so tired, you have to take a break to rest your neck. In fact it's opposite. You forget you were wearing a helmet after 6o miles of riding feeling like it becomes a part of you. Nobody ever came up to me and ask, "Isn't it too heavy and hot?"
I don't pretend to be Tour de France racer or dress like one. This is what I chose based on my best interest upon trying both types.
if your giro is moving around on your head it is either way too big, or you need to adjust the padding/lock system. you shouldn't need the strap for the helmet to stay in place. ive got a protec snow and a protec wakeboard helmet, and no way im trusting my noggin on the street at 30 mph with them. just not what they're made for. -
allgoo19 said:
[img]wakeside.compro tec ace water helmet.jpgOpen ↗[/img]
I have two of them, wearing it everytime I ride my bike. I have one Giro helmet, used just once, never used again.
People posted their opinion here never tried Protec, assuming they already know about something they never used, saying, "It looks like...."
It's not the heat build up inside the helmet that is bothering but the sweat pouring down the face, and it makes no differece which type of helmt you wear. In that case, you wear helmet liner and it takes care of it.
What's better about the Protec helmet, or more precisely what's bad about the Giro cycling specific helmet, is that it sits on the head and moves around, it makes you wonder how it's going to protect your head when something hit it. Protec helmet fits snuggly all around, you don't even have to pull the strap tight against the skin.
Someone mentioned, (again, on assumption that it looks like...) it's heavy. My helmet weighs 350g, while Giro helemts weigh generally about 280 to 300g. It's not even close to the point your neck gets so tired, you have to take a break to rest your neck. In fact it's opposite. You forget you were wearing a helmet after 6o miles of riding feeling like it becomes a part of you. Nobody ever came up to me and ask, "Isn't it too heavy and hot?"
I don't pretend to be Tour de France racer or dress like one. This is what I chose based on my best interest upon trying both types.
This is exactly what i was thinking. And to the others saying its not safe enough for the street, don't they use these in all types of extreme sports? Granted falling three feet down while going fast is also a good knock on the head, but how about falling head first off a 15 foot half pipe!? I think they're pretty comparable.. -
fauxpas said:
I really like those pro-tec helmets, but my only concern would be a practical one. Those helmets are not designed to do what bicycle helmets do. If I'm up a mountain and take a short fall and bounce my helmet off the rock, I can't replace it straight away. Same as if I was in a war zone, I can't just swap to a new helmet.
When a bike helmet takes an impact off a car or whatever, it reacts different to those other helmets. It will deform and splinter as programed. Then you trudge off down the shop and buy another...
The lack of ventilation is an issue too, for me... as aussie summers ensure 3-5 months where nearly every day is between 30-42c. And thats in the shade. Also, where I work, we have police on mtbs that often do raids on riders and check helmets and lights.
Lack of ventilation!? If you're that worried about cooling off, why don't you lose some weight? That would help your body cool off easier, It has worked for many people! -
tyler1212 said:
Lack of ventilation!? If you're that worried about cooling off, why don't you lose some weight? That would help your body cool off easier, It has worked for many people!
If you had a clue, which you obviously don't, you'd realise how much heat is lost through your head. Body weight has nothing to do with it, the % stays the same.This is another sad case of idiots wanting to look cool/different at the expense of common sense... but hey, don't let me stop you wearing an inappropriate helmet!😄
-
tyler1212 said:
Lack of ventilation!? If you're that worried about cooling off, why don't you lose some weight? That would help your body cool off easier, It has worked for many people!
Hahaha... what the hell is wrong with you man??That helmet has some serious cooling issues. Plus, because the the foam isn't as thick, and because it has a hard outer shell, I don't think it will do very well in a hard impact. Might be better if you were taking many, small spills, but for a serious bell-ringer, I'm sticking with my Giro.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.