General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Extracts From Ralston Book On Outsidemag.com

Started by Andrew Priest · · Last activity · 20 posts · 721 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 September 2004
Last activity
26 September 2004
Original author
Andrew Priest
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
721
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi

    For those interested, Outside Magazine have published online an
    extract from Aron Ralston's forthcoming memoir. In case you are
    wondering who Aron is, he is the climber who had to cut off part of
    his arm to free himself.

    You can find it at
    <http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200409/aron_ralston_1.html>.

    Regards
    Andrew

  2. An awesome read.
    I don't know how he did it, tho I guess after several days and Nil
    water he was getting pretty desperate.

    I'm gonna have to go get the book now so I can finish the story.
    cheers,
    Joe Bugden

  3. J+B said:

    An awesome read.
    I don't know how he did it, tho I guess after several days and Nil
    water he was getting pretty desperate.

    I'm gonna have to go get the book now so I can finish the story.
    cheers,

    It's a chilling read and very interesting but that extract had opposite
    effect on me. I'm never going to buy that book, I don't want to know
    what he did next! :-)

    --
    ***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
    np:
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/Top_50_Films.html - favorite films
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/amh-s.html - alt.music.home-studio

  4. Andrew Priest <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    For those interested, Outside Magazine have published online an
    extract from Aron Ralston's forthcoming memoir. In case you are
    wondering who Aron is, he is the climber who had to cut off part of
    his arm to free himself.

    I dunno. When you go to the automechanic, which mechanic do
    you trust? The one with all his fingers and thumbs and no
    gouges out of his face? Or the one who looks like he's been
    dragged through a car crushing machine a few times?

    The guy I trust about backcountry lore is the guy who's been
    there many times and come back with no missing limbs, no
    broken bones, no life-threating cases of jock itch, no storries
    about harrowing escapes or encounters with unfriendlies.
    Not the guy who has close calls and lives. The guy who comes
    back with one boot or one glove is the guy I laugh at.

    This was true for me growing up on the farm. The local farmers
    would fairly often gather over a homebrew and yarn about their
    various skills and abilities. And one of my uncles was missing
    three fingers off his left hand. He was never the guy I paid
    any attention to. He later managed to drive a tractor over
    himself, so I feel somewhat smug.

    I wanna learn how not to get boulders on my arm. I don't wanna
    make idols out of guys who do stupid things and manage to limp
    home with a stump. I wanna learn how not to set myself on fire,
    how not to fall off a cliff, how not to get chased by a bear,
    how not to have unpleasant encounters with other backcountry
    hikers. But still go into the woods and far from towns.

    So, I'd be much more likely to buy a book by a guy who's done
    things like climb this or that mountain, hike this or that great
    outback trail, etc., and come back in good condition with great
    pictures to show for it. Because that's what I want to do myself.
    Socks

  5. "grelbr" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Andrew Priest <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    For those interested, Outside Magazine have published online an
    extract from Aron Ralston's forthcoming memoir. In case you are
    wondering who Aron is, he is the climber who had to cut off part of
    his arm to free himself.

    I dunno. When you go to the automechanic, which mechanic do
    you trust? The one with all his fingers and thumbs and no
    gouges out of his face? Or the one who looks like he's been
    dragged through a car crushing machine a few times?

    The guy I trust about backcountry lore is the guy who's been
    there many times and come back with no missing limbs, no
    broken bones, no life-threating cases of jock itch, no storries
    about harrowing escapes or encounters with unfriendlies.
    Not the guy who has close calls and lives. The guy who comes
    back with one boot or one glove is the guy I laugh at.

    This was true for me growing up on the farm. The local farmers
    would fairly often gather over a homebrew and yarn about their
    various skills and abilities. And one of my uncles was missing
    three fingers off his left hand. He was never the guy I paid
    any attention to. He later managed to drive a tractor over
    himself, so I feel somewhat smug.

    I wanna learn how not to get boulders on my arm. I don't wanna
    make idols out of guys who do stupid things and manage to limp
    home with a stump. I wanna learn how not to set myself on fire,
    how not to fall off a cliff, how not to get chased by a bear,
    how not to have unpleasant encounters with other backcountry
    hikers. But still go into the woods and far from towns.

    So, I'd be much more likely to buy a book by a guy who's done
    things like climb this or that mountain, hike this or that great
    outback trail, etc., and come back in good condition with great
    pictures to show for it. Because that's what I want to do myself.
    Socks

    I think I could hang with you. I have not had a laugh like this in a while.
    Feeling somewhat smug when your inbred uncle rolls himself up with his own
    tractor. Priceless!

  6. "the Moderator" <sparky@no_spam_engineer.com> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    I think I could hang with you. I have not had a laugh like this in a while.
    Feeling somewhat smug when your inbred uncle rolls himself up with his own
    tractor. Priceless!

    He married into the family.
    Socks

  7. [email hidden] (grelbr) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Andrew Priest <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    For those interested, Outside Magazine have published online an
    extract from Aron Ralston's forthcoming memoir. In case you are
    wondering who Aron is, he is the climber who had to cut off part of
    his arm to free himself.

    I dunno. When you go to the automechanic, which mechanic do
    you trust? The one with all his fingers and thumbs and no
    gouges out of his face? Or the one who looks like he's been
    dragged through a car crushing machine a few times?

    The guy I trust about backcountry lore is the guy who's been
    there many times and come back with no missing limbs, no
    broken bones, no life-threating cases of jock itch, no storries
    about harrowing escapes or encounters with unfriendlies.
    Not the guy who has close calls and lives. The guy who comes
    back with one boot or one glove is the guy I laugh at.

    I disagree. The moral from the horrific Ralston story - which he
    himself makes - is that if you go hiking then take someone with you
    and/or tell someone when and where you are expected back. This is
    good advice irrespective of whether the donor has all his limbs or
    not. And it's equally relevant whether one is walking in Utah or
    Ullswater. If Ralston had taken these elementary precautions he would
    not have been reduced to drinking his own urine and amputating his own
    arm.

    Regards

  8. [email hidden] (Hedley Malloch) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (grelbr) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Andrew Priest <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    For those interested, Outside Magazine have published online an
    extract from Aron Ralston's forthcoming memoir. In case you are
    wondering who Aron is, he is the climber who had to cut off part of
    his arm to free himself.

    I dunno. When you go to the automechanic, which mechanic do
    you trust? The one with all his fingers and thumbs and no
    gouges out of his face? Or the one who looks like he's been
    dragged through a car crushing machine a few times?

    The guy I trust about backcountry lore is the guy who's been
    there many times and come back with no missing limbs, no
    broken bones, no life-threating cases of jock itch, no storries
    about harrowing escapes or encounters with unfriendlies.
    Not the guy who has close calls and lives. The guy who comes
    back with one boot or one glove is the guy I laugh at.

    I disagree. The moral from the horrific Ralston story - which he
    himself makes - is that if you go hiking then take someone with you
    and/or tell someone when and where you are expected back. This is
    good advice irrespective of whether the donor has all his limbs or
    not. And it's equally relevant whether one is walking in Utah or
    Ullswater. If Ralston had taken these elementary precautions he would
    not have been reduced to drinking his own urine and amputating his own
    arm.

    Regards

    I agree with Socks. The fact that this guy is being glorified for
    being dumb just amazes me. There was an article about him in the
    Denver paper the other day, and the guy had a history of being
    dangerous and taking risks. That is fine as long as it's only yourself
    you are endangering but apparently he got a couple of friends buried
    in an avalanche and they will no longer associate with him because of
    it. I'm not saying it didn't take a lot to do what he did, I'm just
    saying he doesn't deserve hero status. I'm glad he acknowledged the
    fact that he should have told someone where he was going, but from
    watching the few interviews I've seen and reading quotes from his
    book, he comes off pretty proud of himself and I get the impression
    that he is saying that because it's the right thing to say not because
    he actually means it. Just my opinion.
    -Num

  9. [email hidden] (CmftrblyNum) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Hedley Malloch) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (grelbr) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Andrew Priest <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
    > Hi
    >
    > For those interested, Outside Magazine have published online an
    > extract from Aron Ralston's forthcoming memoir. In case you are
    > wondering who Aron is, he is the climber who had to cut off part of
    > his arm to free himself.

    I dunno. When you go to the automechanic, which mechanic do
    you trust? The one with all his fingers and thumbs and no
    gouges out of his face? Or the one who looks like he's been
    dragged through a car crushing machine a few times?

    The guy I trust about backcountry lore is the guy who's been
    there many times and come back with no missing limbs, no
    broken bones, no life-threating cases of jock itch, no storries
    about harrowing escapes or encounters with unfriendlies.
    Not the guy who has close calls and lives. The guy who comes
    back with one boot or one glove is the guy I laugh at.

    I disagree. The moral from the horrific Ralston story - which he
    himself makes - is that if you go hiking then take someone with you
    and/or tell someone when and where you are expected back. This is
    good advice irrespective of whether the donor has all his limbs or
    not. And it's equally relevant whether one is walking in Utah or
    Ullswater. If Ralston had taken these elementary precautions he would
    not have been reduced to drinking his own urine and amputating his own
    arm.

    Regards

    I agree with Socks. The fact that this guy is being glorified for
    being dumb just amazes me. There was an article about him in the
    Denver paper the other day, and the guy had a history of being
    dangerous and taking risks. That is fine as long as it's only yourself
    you are endangering but apparently he got a couple of friends buried
    in an avalanche and they will no longer associate with him because of
    it. I'm not saying it didn't take a lot to do what he did, I'm just
    saying he doesn't deserve hero status. I'm glad he acknowledged the
    fact that he should have told someone where he was going, but from
    watching the few interviews I've seen and reading quotes from his
    book, he comes off pretty proud of himself and I get the impression
    that he is saying that because it's the right thing to say not because
    he actually means it. Just my opinion.
    -Num

    Here is another vote for Sox. Being a little closerto this than some,
    I will not buy his book, watch him on TV, or go see his movie. He had
    a serious history of endangering others. The often asked question was,
    "When will it catch up with him?" During the winter of 2003, he led a
    group of friends who were back country skiing in Colorado across a
    classic avalanche situation waiting to happen. It did. Most of the
    group got buried, one totally. It took 15 minutes to find him. The
    only reason he lived was because one of the others was trained as an
    emergency first responder. This is just one of many careless things
    that he did. Would I have cut my arm off were I in the same
    situation...probably not. But turning this whole thing in to a
    multi-million dollar fortune just does not seem right. Ask some of the
    people who risked their lives trying to find him what they think.

  10. Got to agree with you here. Learning from others' mistakes is an important
    survival technique.
    Any solo hiker who makes the same mistakes after hearing about this Ralston
    fiasco would just be an example of "evolution in action."

    "Hedley Malloch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (grelbr) wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...> > > wondering who
    Aron is, he is the climber who had to cut off part of

    <snip!>

    Quoted message said:

    I disagree. The moral from the horrific Ralston story - which he
    himself makes - is that if you go hiking then take someone with you
    and/or tell someone when and where you are expected back. This is
    good advice irrespective of whether the donor has all his limbs or
    not. And it's equally relevant whether one is walking in Utah or
    Ullswater. If Ralston had taken these elementary precautions he would
    not have been reduced to drinking his own urine and amputating his own
    arm.

    Regards

  11. "CmftrblyNum" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    <snip!>

    Quoted message said:


    I agree with Socks. The fact that this guy is being glorified for
    being dumb just amazes me. There was an article about him in the
    Denver paper the other day, and the guy had a history of being
    dangerous and taking risks. That is fine as long as it's only yourself
    you are endangering but apparently he got a couple of friends buried
    in an avalanche and they will no longer associate with him because of
    it. I'm not saying it didn't take a lot to do what he did, I'm just
    saying he doesn't deserve hero status.

    Is somebody calling him a hero?

    Quoted message said:

    I'm glad he acknowledged the
    fact that he should have told someone where he was going, but from
    watching the few interviews I've seen and reading quotes from his
    book, he comes off pretty proud of himself and I get the impression
    that he is saying that because it's the right thing to say not because
    he actually means it. Just my opinion.
    -Num

  12. "SteveM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    <snip!>

    Quoted message said:

    Here is another vote for Sox. Being a little closerto this than some,
    I will not buy his book, watch him on TV, or go see his movie. He had
    a serious history of endangering others. The often asked question was,
    "When will it catch up with him?" During the winter of 2003, he led a
    group of friends who were back country skiing in Colorado across a
    classic avalanche situation waiting to happen. It did. Most of the
    group got buried, one totally. It took 15 minutes to find him. The
    only reason he lived was because one of the others was trained as an
    emergency first responder. This is just one of many careless things
    that he did. Would I have cut my arm off were I in the same
    situation...probably not. But turning this whole thing in to a
    multi-million dollar fortune just does not seem right.

    Oh, I don't know. People make money in a lot of ways. You offer a product,
    people do or don't buy it from you. Big deal.
    And he may save several lives by telling his story. After hearing about
    this fiasco, some solo hiker may not make the same mistakes.

    Quoted message said:

    Ask some of the
    people who risked their lives trying to find him what they think.

  13. "Earl Jacksboro" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "SteveM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    <snip!>

    Quoted message said:

    Here is another vote for Sox. Being a little closerto this than some,
    I will not buy his book, watch him on TV, or go see his movie. He had
    a serious history of endangering others. The often asked question was,
    "When will it catch up with him?" During the winter of 2003, he led a
    group of friends who were back country skiing in Colorado across a
    classic avalanche situation waiting to happen. It did. Most of the
    group got buried, one totally. It took 15 minutes to find him. The
    only reason he lived was because one of the others was trained as an
    emergency first responder. This is just one of many careless things
    that he did. Would I have cut my arm off were I in the same
    situation...probably not. But turning this whole thing in to a
    multi-million dollar fortune just does not seem right.

    Oh, I don't know. People make money in a lot of ways. You offer a


    product,

    Quoted message said:

    people do or don't buy it from you. Big deal.
    And he may save several lives by telling his story. After hearing about
    this fiasco, some solo hiker may not make the same mistakes.

    Quoted message said:

    Ask some of the
    people who risked their lives trying to find him what they think.



    I watched the Dateline piece, and maybe it was just the way it was edited,
    but he seemed to learn his lesson about taking stupid risks. Jeez, he paid a
    terrible price for it.

    Martha

    Quoted message said:
  14. I see he is on a national book signing tour.
    He does his backyard Boulder Sept 20 and Denver Sept 21.

  15. [email hidden] (rick++) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I see he is on a national book signing tour.
    He does his backyard Boulder Sept 20 and Denver Sept 21.

    Here is the review from the Albuquerque Journal

    Hiker Produces a Compelling, Self-Absorbed Account of Utah Ordeal

    By Toby Smith
    Journal Staff Writer
    REVIEW: Aron Ralston's hiking story is like the harrowing driving
    stories you sometimes hear, those tales of motorists who skid off a
    bridge, crash land in a swamp and hang on for a week as they inch
    their way to help.
    There's one exception. Ralston, who survived an unbearable,
    well-publicized six-day ordeal in Utah last year, left part of his arm
    behind. The part he hacked off himself.
    As might be expected, Ralston has written a book about what he
    endured. Though we know how it ends, it remains a compelling account,
    documented now with his own photographs achieved, shall we say, in
    mid-cut.
    There's a strong New Mexico tether here. Ralston, once an Intel
    engineer, lived in Albuquerque for three years. He was active with the
    Albuquerque Mountain Rescue Council before he bolted corporate life to
    work in an Aspen, Colo., outdoors store.
    Coincidentally, that Albuquerque group assisted in his Utah
    rescue. Moreover, that search was greatly aided by identifying the
    truck he drove. It bore a New Mexico license plate.
    To his credit, Ralston doesn't spend the entire book on what
    happened to him when a truck-tire-size rock trapped his right arm
    while he was "slot canyoneering" in a remote section of Canyonlands
    National Park.
    Instead, he attempts to support the incident by recollecting
    anecdotes from his short (he's 28) life.
    Doing so works for and against him.

    Impetuous loner
    The benefit is that we come to see a risk-grabbing adventurer who
    grew up itching for the next avalanche. We get to know a gear junkie
    who is most comfortable sniffing the paths left by cranky
    monkey-wrencher Edward Abbey and suicidal wanderer Chris McCandless.
    As an impetuous loner, Ralston is a guy who thinks nothing of
    sticking his body down a telephone booth-wide crevice in Utah without
    telling a soul where he will be, the No. 1 no-no when heading into the
    wilds.
    For kicks, he taunts black bears in the backcountry, jumps into
    freezing rivers fully clothed, charges off into the frightful night
    toward another summit.
    Ralston details these audacious acts, returning periodically to
    work up the gumption to amputate an arm that is terminally wedged
    behind a boulder. (So preoccupied was he with a Phish tape as he hiked
    that day, Ralston didn't sense the precariousness of the loose rock
    that eventually pinned his limb.)
    In an attempt to redeem or perhaps explain himself, Ralston
    reveals that he's a disciple of a credo that goes, It's not what you
    do, it's who you are.
    Trouble is, Ralston fails to convince us that he lives by those
    words— even after nearly bleeding to death in Utah. He's still the
    consummate peak-bagger, forever tackling high mountains solo and in
    the midst of a blizzard. A newspaper item last month said he had
    completed the Leadville 100, a maniacal endurance run held at 10,000
    feet, and that he can play the piano one-handed.
    Some may see these achievements as inspirational. But all they
    really do is confirm Ralston's self-absorption. Seemingly not
    interested in exploring who he is, Ralston continues to define himself
    by telling us what he has done— what crag he has clung to, what
    whitewater rapids he nearly drowned in, what wall of ice he picked his
    way up. How time after time he hoodwinked death.
    In case we missed any of his daredevilry, a swaggering
    "biographical chronology" is attached to the end of the book.

    Transcendental state
    Nowhere in "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" does Ralston discuss
    what he gives to others, or what he is contributing to the world
    beyond an appreciation for the environment and its majestic scenery.
    Oddly, there's barely a mention of Ralston's father. Because life
    seems to be all about Aron, we never learn his father's first name nor
    what he does for a living. Surely the kid gleaned something from the
    old man.
    And yet Ralston manages to attract us. His feelings about wanting
    to go it alone to achieve a transcendental state are readily
    identifiable. Morever, he writes well, particularly for a first-timer.
    Some quibbles: There's far too much brand-name dropping of equipment.
    And, on occasion, a reliance on the florid phrase: "I resume my
    excavation as darkness from my penumbral hole spills into the desert
    above me ...''
    Those missteps aside, the panic, fear and hestitancy Ralston
    describes during his Canyonlands nightmare are presented brutally and
    straight-up, right down to the last drop of urine that he drinks to
    stay alive.
    Surgical note: The actual severing was done with a $15 multi-tool,
    and Ralston had foresight to break the bones in his forearm to make
    the grisly task easier.
    It would be hard for anyone to say what he would do if stuck
    similarly to Aron Ralston. A self-indulgent obsessiveness clearly
    helped him save his life. Not so strangely, that same characteristic
    got him into his predicament.

  16. Toby Smith, your writeup sounds like you're envious of Aron. Self
    absorbed you say? I see him as totally happy with who he is and
    living life 100%. His story is about survival in a situation most
    other people would give up--or die from ignorance of what to do. Sure
    he messed up by not telling anyone-he admitted it. What a great
    example for anyone who thinks they can't get out and "just do it" and
    for anyone who may have a disability and think they can't.
    Could YOU cut your arm off and rapel down a cliff then walk seven
    miles? If more people were Aron's kind of self indulgent there would
    be more happy people in the world.
    Aron's credo is "Its not what you do its who you are"?? Yeah! Aron
    is 100% Aron! take that and go for a hike Mr. Smith. :P

  17. "David" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You know... the Phish CD's is one of the things that really struck me
    about his story. He outlined all of his equipment in the book (from the
    extracts posted here) and said that he had a heavy load but considered
    everything to be essential... including a CD player with a bunch of
    Phish CD's?! I guess it's just me... but I honestly cannot comprehend
    the idea of being in such a magical place and wanting to listen to
    CD's?! If he had been focusing his attention and energy on what he was
    doing and where he was... on awareness and being... instead of moving
    along scatter-brained with Phish blasting in his ears and his energy
    focused in every which direction... maybe he would not have made that
    mistake with the loose boulder in the first place. Maybe.

    Well, especially Phish. I mean....blech....I can't think of worse music. If
    he was listening to Borknagar or Enslaved or Opeth, I'd have more respect
    for him.

    Martha

  18. "Karen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Toby Smith, your writeup sounds like you're envious of Aron. Self
    absorbed you say? I see him as totally happy with who he is and
    living life 100%. His story is about survival in a situation most
    other people would give up--or die from ignorance of what to do. Sure
    he messed up by not telling anyone-he admitted it. What a great
    example for anyone who thinks they can't get out and "just do it" and
    for anyone who may have a disability and think they can't.
    Could YOU cut your arm off and rapel down a cliff then walk seven
    miles? If more people were Aron's kind of self indulgent there would
    be more happy people in the world.
    Aron's credo is "Its not what you do its who you are"?? Yeah! Aron
    is 100% Aron! take that and go for a hike Mr. Smith. :P

    Karen,
    My sentiments exactly. We command people to act independently, think for
    themselves, stop following the masses, and the moment they do we condemn
    them.
    The kid goofed up, got his act together, and saved his life. My hat's off to
    him.

  19. "Karen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Toby Smith, your writeup sounds like you're envious of Aron.

    I'd give my right arm to be like Aron Ralston.

    Sorry, make that "I'd have to give my right arm to be like him".

    Quoted message said:

    If more people were Aron's kind of self indulgent there would
    be more happy people in the world.

    If more people were Aron's kind of self indulgent there would be more happy
    people in the world because more people's enemies would be dead or missing a
    limb.
    --
    Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  20. Quoted message said:

    I'd give my right arm to be like Aron Ralston.

    Sorry, make that "I'd have to give my right arm to be like him".

    Quoted message said:

    If more people were Aron's kind of self indulgent there would
    be more happy people in the world.

    Interestingly he commented in Denver booksigning that had he had
    foreknowledge of the incident, he might have still choosen to go through with it.
    Because its become the central experience of his life and who he is.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.