Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

experiences with shimano PD-M647 pedal?

Started by Monique Y. Muda · · Last activity · 56 posts · 5,322 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
6 July 2004
Last activity
11 July 2004
Original author
Monique Y. Muda
Posts
56
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,322
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 56
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. < bike.shimano.comcomponenttemplate.asp >

    This is a clipless pedal with platform. I've heard good
    things about it from some folks, but don't see much opinion
    online ... anyone used this specific model and have an
    opinion? They're damn expensive, but if they work (let me be
    clipped in when I want to be; give me some traction when I
    want more freedom), maybe they're worth it ...

    Also, how does one use the platform? In my regular clipless,
    I have to contact with my arches to avoid clipping in. Is
    there some magic trick to these guys that allows you to use
    the ball of your foot?

    --
    monique

  2. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    <ootwear_Pedals/Pedals/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=PD-
    M647 >

    This is a clipless pedal with platform. I've heard good
    things about it from some folks, but don't see much
    opinion online ... anyone used this specific model and
    have an opinion? They're damn expensive, but if they
    work (let me be clipped in when I want to be; give me
    some traction when I want more freedom), maybe they're
    worth it ...

    I bought the first incarnation of these pedals (PD-M636),
    back in the day when I used to race DH. As far as I can
    tell, there's not much changed apart from the shape of
    the cage. I loved them and ran them for years even on the
    XC bikes. The cage gives support to a softer soled shoe
    and allows you to jam on the pedals on those annoying
    steep hills where you stall halfway up and have to start
    again. Less importantly, it allows you to hang a foot out
    on the bends and then jump straight on the power out the
    other side.

    On the downside, they are pretty much the heaviest pedals
    out there and you'll probably have to carve up the soles of
    your shoes to get them to engage properly.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, how does one use the platform? In my regular
    clipless, I have to contact with my arches to avoid
    clipping in. Is there some magic trick to these guys that
    allows you to use the ball of your foot?

    The pedals require that you point your toe downwards
    slightly and clip in from the front and step down (kind of
    like a ski binding). If you just place your foot flat on the
    pedal, you shouldn't engage.

  3. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    <


    /Footwear_Pedals/Pedals/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=PD-
    M647

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is a clipless pedal with platform. I've heard good
    things about it from some folks, but don't see much
    opinion online ... anyone used this specific model and
    have an opinion? They're damn expensive, but if they
    work (let me be clipped in when I want to be; give me
    some traction when I want more freedom), maybe they're
    worth it ...

    Also, how does one use the platform? In my regular
    clipless, I have to contact with my arches to avoid
    clipping in. Is there some magic trick to these guys that
    allows you to use the ball of your foot?

    just clip in. Give into it!! What's your big fear?

    penny

  4. On 2004-07-06, bomba penned:

    Quoted message said:


    I bought the first incarnation of these pedals (PD-M636),
    back in the day when I used to race DH. As far as I can
    tell, there's not much changed apart from the shape of
    the cage. I loved them and ran them for years even on the
    XC bikes. The cage gives support to a softer soled shoe
    and allows you to jam on the pedals on those annoying
    steep hills where you stall halfway up and have to start
    again. Less importantly, it allows you to hang a foot out
    on the bends and then jump straight on the power out the
    other side.

    On the downside, they are pretty much the heaviest pedals
    out there and you'll probably have to carve up the soles
    of your shoes to get them to engage properly.

    Heavy, shmeavy. 150g more than my 515s isn't going to kill
    me. Carving up the sole of my shoe, though? Is this because
    the clip-in mechanism is recessed?

    I gotta ask the obvious question: if you loved 'em, why did
    you leave 'em?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Also, how does one use the platform? In my regular
    clipless, I have to contact with my arches to avoid
    clipping in. Is there some magic trick to these guys that
    allows you to use the ball of your foot?

    The pedals require that you point your toe downwards
    slightly and clip in from the front and step down (kind of
    like a ski binding). If you just place your foot flat on
    the pedal, you shouldn't engage.

    Ah. Is there a similar trick to getting out, or is that part
    straight forward?

    I read somewhere that the 647 is based on the 959 pedal, and
    apparently they don't work with multi-release cleats. Hrmmm.
    Another data point.

    --
    monique

  5. On 2004-07-06, pas penned:

    Quoted message said:


    just clip in. Give into it!! What's your big fear?

    Falling. Duh.

    Just as an example, I endo'd this weekend. I was out of my
    pedals, so when my bike started tipping, my feet slid
    forward and I was able to keep myself from flipping
    forward. If I had had my feet clipped in, I would have gone
    head-first into either rocks or the tree in front of me.
    And no, clipping in would not have magically kept me from
    falling. I'm sure better technique would have, but that
    didn't happen.

    Yes, great, I should "just do it." But right now, while I'm
    able to force myself to stay in the pedals for harder and
    harder stuff, there is plenty out there where I just won't
    do it. Not yet. And for that stuff, I want better support
    than that slippery metal widget provides. As Buffy would
    say, What's the big?

    --
    monique

  6. Monique Y. Mudama said:
    Quoted message said:

    On the downside, they are pretty much the heaviest pedals
    out there and you'll probably have to carve up the soles
    of your shoes to get them to engage properly.

    Heavy, shmeavy. 150g more than my 515s isn't going to
    kill me.

    Just scanned down the page - they run with a resin body now
    rather than the huge lump of alu that used to be attached.
    522g isn't bad at all.

    Quoted message said:

    Carving up the sole of my shoe, though? Is this because
    the clip-in mechanism is recessed?

    The clip-in mechanism isn't really recessed, the problem is
    more the fact that the cleat is recessed in the sole. I had
    to trim down the sides of the sole to get the cleat to
    protrude enough to engage properly.

    Quoted message said:

    I gotta ask the obvious question: if you loved 'em, why
    did you leave 'em?

    Several reasons really. The first being that they were about
    7 or 8 years old and knackered. One side had more float than
    the other and released at a different angle depending on
    which side of the pedal you clipped in (this was due to age
    and wear and tear rather than a 'feature'😉. When it came to
    buying new pedals, I felt I didn't need a platform any
    longer - I no longer race DH or need to get on the power
    urgently after hanging out feet on the corners and I ride
    everything now clipped-in with no worries. I'd heard good
    things about Egg Beaters, their function and their mud and
    snow-shedding abilities (another thing the M636 didn't do
    well, and important where I ride), so went with those. I
    miss the platform occasionally on stalled uphills, but apart
    from that...

    Talking of which, you might want to look at the Egg
    Beater Mallet.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The pedals require that you point your toe downwards
    slightly and clip in from the front and step down (kind
    of like a ski binding). If you just place your foot flat
    on the pedal, you shouldn't engage.

    Ah. Is there a similar trick to getting out, or is that
    part straight forward?

    Same as releasing from any other clipless pedal.

  7. "Monique Y. Mudama" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 2004-07-06, pas penned:

    Quoted message said:


    just clip in. Give into it!! What's your big fear?

    Falling. Duh.

    Just as an example, I endo'd this weekend. I was out of my
    pedals, so when my bike started tipping, my feet slid
    forward and I was able to keep myself from flipping
    forward. If I had had my feet clipped in, I would have
    gone head-first into either rocks or the tree in front of
    me. And no, clipping in would not have magically kept me
    from falling. I'm sure better technique would have, but
    that didn't happen.

    Yes, great, I should "just do it." But right now, while
    I'm able to force myself to stay in the pedals for harder
    and harder stuff, there is plenty out there where I just
    won't do it. Not yet. And for that stuff, I want better
    support than that slippery metal widget provides. As Buffy
    would say, What's the big?

    --
    monique

    Run em with the tension at the lowest possible setting
    to get out quickly. After they are broken in it gets
    even easier.

    TJ

  8. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    On 2004-07-06, pas penned:

    Quoted message said:


    just clip in. Give into it!! What's your big fear?

    Falling. Duh.

    Just as an example, I endo'd this weekend. I was out of my
    pedals, so when my bike started tipping, my feet slid
    forward and I was able to keep myself from flipping
    forward. If I had had my feet clipped in, I would have
    gone head-first into either rocks or the tree in front of
    me. And no, clipping in would not have magically kept me
    from falling. I'm sure better technique would have,
    but that didn't happen.

    Well, you may think that would have happened, but think
    about this: If you had been clipped in, chances are your
    weight would have been further back. That could have
    prevented the whole incident. Most of the
    beginner/intermediate endos I've witnessed have been at
    least partially caused by the rider not having their feet on
    the pedals (or too far forward on them). The worst ones are
    when the rider tried to walk down something steep while
    straddling the bike. Bad!

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, great, I should "just do it." But right now, while
    I'm able to force myself to stay in the pedals for harder
    and harder stuff, there is plenty out there where I just
    won't do it. Not yet. And for that stuff, I want better
    support than that slippery metal widget provides. As Buffy
    would say, What's the big?

    Have you ever gone OTB while clipped in? I've come out of
    my pedals every single time (without trying). It seems
    the vast majority of being-in-the-pedal-induced falls are
    to the side.

    Also, if you must get new pedals with platforms, look into
    the Time Z pedals. I believe Carla has some and really likes
    them. I'd get some, but I don't need no stinkin' platforms!
    (I ride the Time ATAC Carbons and they are great until the
    spring breaks after 5 years or so of hard use).

    Matt

  9. TJ said:

    "Monique Y. Mudama" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 2004-07-06, pas penned:

    Quoted message said:


    just clip in. Give into it!! What's your big fear?

    Falling. Duh.

    Just as an example, I endo'd this weekend. I was out of
    my pedals, so when my bike started tipping, my feet slid
    forward and I was able to keep myself from flipping
    forward. If I had had my feet clipped in, I would have
    gone head-first into either rocks or the tree in front of
    me. And no, clipping in would not have magically kept me
    from falling. I'm sure better technique would have, but
    that didn't happen.

    Yes, great, I should "just do it." But right now, while
    I'm able to force myself to stay in the pedals for harder
    and harder stuff, there is plenty out there where I just
    won't do it. Not yet. And for that stuff, I want better
    support than that slippery metal widget provides. As
    Buffy would say, What's the big?

    --
    monique

    Run em with the tension at the lowest possible setting
    to get out quickly. After they are broken in it gets
    even easier.

    TJ

    I've got mine set loose enough that there is always
    bike/rider seperation in certain extreme situations. Perhaps
    you need to get out the allen wrenched and lube, and loosen
    them up a bit? Seriously.

    works for me.

    but if you start with a combo, you might want to get
    shinguards. Those things can take real chunks out of
    your skin.

  10. On 2004-07-06, TJ penned:

    Quoted message said:


    Run em with the tension at the lowest possible setting
    to get out quickly. After they are broken in it gets
    even easier.

    They are, and I'm using multirelease cleats, too.

    --
    monique

  11. On 2004-07-06, MattB penned:

    Quoted message said:
    Monique Y. Mudama said:

    On 2004-07-06, pas penned:

    Quoted message said:


    just clip in. Give into it!! What's your big fear?

    Falling. Duh.

    Just as an example, I endo'd this weekend. I was out of
    my pedals, so when my bike started tipping, my feet slid
    forward and I was able to keep myself from flipping
    forward. If I had had my feet clipped in, I would have
    gone head-first into either rocks or the tree in front of
    me. And no, clipping in would not have magically kept me
    from falling. I'm sure better technique would have, but
    that didn't happen.

    Well, you may think that would have happened, but think
    about this: If you had been clipped in, chances are your
    weight would have been further back. That could have
    prevented the whole incident. Most of the
    beginner/intermediate endos I've witnessed have been at
    least partially caused by the rider not having their feet
    on the pedals (or too far forward on them). The worst ones
    are when the rider tried to walk down something steep
    while straddling the bike. Bad!

    Okay, I don't try to walk down anything while straddling the
    bike. That sounds like a really good way to get brained. Who
    does this??

    Other than that, I knew someone was going to play devil's
    advocate here. Yes, it's possible that being clipped in
    would have saved my ass. I tend to think that being clipped
    in would have caused a non-productive panic response, but
    maybe it would have helped.

    I've had three endos. In all three, I was not clipped in.
    One, I rode into a mud puddle and the mud reached out and
    grabbed my front tire. Over I go. Two, I nailed my brakes
    going downhill over an obstacle. Three, this weekend, coming
    down off a steep rock and running my front wheel into a big
    nasty root (that probably saved me from a big nasty tree).
    Was not being clipped in a factor in any of these? I really
    doubt it, but then, I couldn't see myself from a third-
    person view.

    Just curious -- how can you tell that having feet too far
    forward was the problem, as opposed to something else? Do
    you just mean that their body was too far forward, in part
    because their feet were, too?

    Quoted message said:


    Have you ever gone OTB while clipped in? I've come out of
    my pedals every single time (without trying). It seems the
    vast majority of being-in-the-pedal-induced falls are to
    the side.

    I'm not sure that's any better when there's a dropoff to the
    side ... but in any case, no, I haven't gone OTB while
    clipped in. That's because I'm a big chicken and I'm never
    clipped in anywhere remotely near anything that might cause
    OTB-style behavior.

    (On the other hand, I forced myself to ride large chunks of
    Heil clipped in last night. Well, okay, just most of the
    uphill approach. Still, more than I have in the past.)

    Quoted message said:

    Also, if you must get new pedals with platforms, look
    into the Time Z pedals. I believe Carla has some and
    really likes them. I'd get some, but I don't need no
    stinkin' platforms! (I ride the Time ATAC Carbons and
    they are great until the spring breaks after 5 years or
    so of hard use).

    I'll look at 'em -- I've been eyeing Time stuff covetously
    of late, for no particular reason -- but wouldn't that
    require new shoes as well as cleats and pedals?

    There are certain situations where I just can't imagine it's
    a good idea to be clipped in. There's a particular
    switchback I'm thinking of, just after the trail starts at
    Heil. (I finally cleared it on the way up yesterday; yay
    me!) On the way down, if you don't make the turn perfectly,
    you'll dive head first into a stream that's a good distance
    below you. Now, if you're not good enough to *know* that
    you'll manage this, why *wouldn't* you have a foot ready to
    dab? I'm sure you'd laugh at this turn, but there must be
    similar situations which you encounter. And for those
    situations, why wouldn't you want some more traction for
    your foot?

    --
    monique

  12. pas said:
    TJ said:

    "Monique Y. Mudama" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 2004-07-06, pas penned:
    >
    > just clip in. Give into it!! What's your big fear?

    Falling. Duh.

    Just as an example, I endo'd this weekend. I was out of
    my pedals, so when my bike started tipping, my feet slid
    forward and I was able to keep myself from flipping
    forward. If I had had my feet clipped in, I would have
    gone head-first into either rocks or the tree in front
    of me. And no, clipping in would not have magically kept
    me from falling. I'm sure better technique would have,
    but that didn't happen.

    Yes, great, I should "just do it." But right now, while
    I'm able to force myself to stay in the pedals for
    harder and harder stuff, there is plenty out there where
    I just won't do it. Not yet. And for that stuff, I want
    better support than that slippery metal widget provides.
    As Buffy would say, What's the big?

    --
    monique

    Run em with the tension at the lowest possible setting to
    get out quickly. After they are broken in it gets even
    easier.

    TJ

    I've got mine set loose enough that there is always
    bike/rider seperation in certain extreme situations.
    Perhaps you need to get out the allen wrenched and lube,
    and loosen them up a bit? Seriously.

    Eek sent that out without finishing the thought. The only
    way you are going to get used to them is to use them. If you
    have to work at getting out of them, they are too tight., or
    just go for some flats until you get more comfortable as you
    push yourself.

    I think matt's on the $$ tho.

    penny (

  13. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    Okay, I don't try to walk down anything while straddling
    the bike. That sounds like a really good way to get
    brained. Who does this??

    I've done *that* It was my first OTB experience on a steep
    DH. It was also the last time I ever did *that*

    I've seen many newbies since doing the same thing. Believe
    or not it's pretty common. It's a totally stupid thing to
    do, but when you have no experience it seems like a good
    idea at the time <G>

    Experience is a [censored].
    --
    Slacker

  14. On 2004-07-06, pas penned:

    Quoted message said:


    Eek sent that out without finishing the thought. The only
    way you are going to get used to them is to use them. If
    you have to work at getting out of them, they are too
    tight., or just go for some flats until you get more
    comfortable as you push yourself.

    I had flats, and I missed being clipped in -- sometimes.
    It's not that I have to work at getting out of them; I've
    always been able to unless the cleats are crusty. It's that
    I'm afraid of those situations where I come to a sudden stop
    and might not have time to choose to get out of them.

    It's pure fear. Purely a psychological, not a physical,
    issue. Quite powerful nevertheless.

    I want a combo approach so that I can work on increasing my
    trust in the clipless while still having decent traction
    when I can't bring myself to trust. Switching to flats won't
    help me with this process, and using plain-old clipless
    doesn't somehow force me to stay in the pedals; it just
    makes it really slippery when I don't. I've gotten amazingly
    good at pedalling on my arches and keeping my feet touching
    those tiny metal nubs, but what's the point?

    I just want some training wheels for my feet.

    --
    monique

  15. On 2004-07-06, pas penned:

    Quoted message said:


    but if you start with a combo, you might want to get
    shinguards. Those things can take real chunks out of
    your skin.

    One of the reasons I'm looking at the 647 rather than the
    cheaper 545 is that the 647 looks a lot less likely to tear
    a chunk off your leg.

    When I had the traction pin pedals, I seemed far more likely
    to lose a chunk of calf than of shin. Go figure.

    I do have your posts about the 4x4s (iirc?) saved, though,
    for when I do decide to get some protection.

    --
    monique

  16. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    On 2004-07-06, pas penned:

    Quoted message said:

    but if you start with a combo, you might want to get
    shinguards. Those things can take real chunks out of
    your skin.

    One of the reasons I'm looking at the 647 rather than the
    cheaper 545 is that the 647 looks a lot less likely to
    tear a chunk off your leg.

    When I had the traction pin pedals, I seemed far more
    likely to lose a chunk of calf than of shin. Go figure.

    I do have your posts about the 4x4s (iirc?) saved, though,
    for when I do decide to get some protection.

    The 647's look nice, but IMHO, they're not worth the $. I
    have these <cambriabike.comshimano m
    646_dual_clipless_pedal.htm> on my XC bike. I like them so
    much, I got a second pair for my DH bike.

    They are maintenance free and I'm astonished that they
    haven't broke with the many times I've smacked them very,
    very hard on boulders. I wouldn't be as confident with the
    resin/plastic cage version.

    --
    Slacker

  17. On 2004-07-06, Slacker penned:

    Quoted message said:
    Monique Y. Mudama said:

    Okay, I don't try to walk down anything while straddling
    the bike. That sounds like a really good way to get
    brained. Who does this??

    I've done *that* It was my first OTB experience on a steep
    DH. It was also the last time I ever did *that*

    Yikes.

    I've had situations where I've come to a dead stop on really
    steep stuff and ended up with my feet on the ground but no
    apparent way to either get off the bike or climb with it
    under me (this on a short track course). Fortunately, there
    was an instructor at the top of the climb who was able to
    reach out her hand and help me up.

    Quoted message said:

    I've seen many newbies since doing the same thing. Believe
    or not it's pretty common. It's a totally stupid thing to
    do, but when you have no experience it seems like a good
    idea at the time <G>

    I'm sure that, for all my pooh-poohing, I must have done it
    at some point ... but I can't remember having done so.

    --
    monique

  18. "Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    <


    bike.shimano.comcomponenttem
    plate.asp?partnum ber=PD-M647 >

    Quoted message said:


    This is a clipless pedal with platform. I've heard good
    things about it from some folks, but don't see much
    opinion online ... anyone used this specific model and
    have an opinion?

    I'm riding the Eggbeater Mallets and love them. I rode Time
    ATACs for a long time but always had a hard time getting my
    left foot unclipped. I guess it doesn't rotate the same as
    the right. I did take the removable plates off so I'm not
    really worried about gouging my shins. And they do work
    great as a platform in situations I don't want to be
    clipped in.

    Gary in VA

  19. On 2004-07-06, Slacker penned:

    Quoted message said:


    The 647's look nice, but IMHO, they're not worth the $. I
    have these
    <cambriabike.comshimano m
    646_dual_clipless_pedal.htm>
    on my XC bike. I like them so much, I got a second pair for
    my DH bike.

    They are maintenance free and I'm astonished that they
    haven't broke with the many times I've smacked them very,
    very hard on boulders. I wouldn't be as confident with the
    resin/plastic cage version.

    Interesting. I guess they're on sale because Shimano's no
    longer producing them. The guy who originally got me started
    down this route has the 646, as well.

    They do look much more violent to the leg meat than do the
    647, though.

    Thanks for the pointer. More to think about.

    --
    monique

  20. Monique Y. Mudama said:

    <


    /Footwear_Pedals/Pedals/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=PD-
    M647

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is a clipless pedal with platform. I've heard good
    things about it from some folks, but don't see much
    opinion online ... anyone used this specific model and
    have an opinion? They're damn expensive, but if they
    work (let me be clipped in when I want to be; give me
    some traction when I want more freedom), maybe they're
    worth it ...

    Also, how does one use the platform? In my regular
    clipless, I have to contact with my arches to avoid
    clipping in. Is there some magic trick to these guys that
    allows you to use the ball of your foot?

    --
    monique

    I've had M545 platform and I honestly did NOT see the
    advantage, albeit I only used them for a week since the
    cages kept getting caught. I now have the M520 and M540 on
    my bikes and have been happy! They're an affordable version
    of the M959s.

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.