Luckily, I've never been involved in a serious road accident, be it on my bike or in some other vehicle. Knock on plastic, as I always say. But I've seen a couple of nasty incidents where bike riders got seriously hurt. In one case a small passenger bus came flying around a corner on a dangerous mountain road, literally sweeping the cyclist over the edge of the mountain range. Fortunately, he got stuck in a tree. Another time I saw a woman getting trapped and crashing onto railway lines while a train was approaching. She managed to drag herself away just in time, breaking her leg while saving herself from being run over.
Have you ever been badly injured on the road?
Road Cycling · Public discussion
Ever Been Involved In A Bike Accident?
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Road Cycling
- Published
- 29 April 2015
- Last activity
- 16 June 2016
- Original author
- Dora M
- Posts
- 48
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 6,583
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Nope knock on wood - a couple of wipeouts nothing serious. One was epic, kinda cool, going over a wooden path bridge, hit an ice patch -bike spun out under me but I ended up standing upright with quick leap at the guard rail- I was impressed with my athleticism - if I were younger I would take up parkour
-
Yes, I had the bad luck to get t-boned by an [censored] in a hurry, who blew a stop sign without carefully checking for traffic. I tore up my shoulder, and needed surgery. My bike was dead at the scene, so I fared better all things considered.
Had a witness who turned out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Basically dumped on the driver worse than the cops did in the accident report---and they weren't kind to him. So I did OK on the insurance claim.
-
Serious? No... Could have been serious? Hell yeah...
1. Cycling on the cycling path. Pedestrian jumps in front and touches the handlebar, score! (Just some road rush).
2. Cycling on the cycling path, again. Half-dozed coffee lizard jumps in front of me, touches the handlebar, score! (Couldn't breathe too well for about 2 hours, later on the pain got so bad I had to go get some rib X-rays).
3. Crossing a road. Visiting peasant with Ford Focus passes in front of me knocking me off. (Guess what? She crashed me on the handlebar). Score! (No injury).
4. Cycling on the cycling path. (That's the 3rd time on the same cycling path mind you). Italian tourist stupored from the local spirits runs into my rear wheel with a rent bike. Score! No injury, she have me 40 euro on the spot... New chain, new Shimano Claris rear mech, trued the wheel.
5. Doing a ride in the city... Just started raining, took a turn with about 30km/h. Score! That was very spectacular too! The bike started sliding on the side with me still clipped in. I unclipped from the bike, the bike took a couple of rolls with my lights flying all over the road... Broken both fixings bolts of the lights, scraped arm and side of ass...
6. Nice one: I was cycling from work to the super market to get a bite for lunch break. I went past a gas station when a lady pulled out right in front of me -synced- with the moment I was just entering the gas station exit. Score! Crashed on her door... X-rays, hospital the lot, but it was Friday and I had a 3 day weekend! Yeeeay! 😄
Wanna see some pictures? 😄 I usually take pictures of injuries after spills... 😄
-
Yes - a couple of them.
First was my fault - I was 15, impatient and pulled across a busy road to turn off onto a side street. Hit a 1984 Buick Skylark driven by a very nice Asian couple head on. The car was doing the speed limit of 35mph. I will never forget her face as I slammed into the front windshield. Upon impact I was rendered unconscious. Witnesses say I ricocheted about 15 feet into the air, and then landed on the front lawn of a funeral home. You can tell this happened in the 80's because I did not get taken to the hospital. I regained consciousness at the scene, My knee was pretty messed up and required a trip that night to the hospital. A Police Officer brought me home. My bike, which had been folded in half fit neatly in the trunk of the cop car. Post accident, I contacted the couple and paid for the repairs to their vehicle which included the windshield and some damage to the front grille and hood.
The most severe was during a race. A cop not doing his job caused a car to T-Bone me. My bike was totaled. I awoke in the hospital post surgery. My left leg was broken as was my left arm along with some other stuff including lots on internal injuries. I am glad I was out for the duration on that one. Nothing permanent though.
I've crashed during races, had 3 other contact incidents with cars, run off the road 2 other times by cars, crashed on the MTB so many times I would not want to count, but all that is minor boo-boos.
I also had one non-vehicle crash that to this day have no recollection of what-so-ever. I ended up in the hospital with a severe concussion. Had amnesia for 3 weeks before the memory started to come back.
Ride long enough and far enough and you will be involved in some sort of accident.
-
Roll the high lights reel, Jerry...
Hit from behind by a stoned kid in a Camaro. Broken back. Right arm/shoulder damage.
Conversion van backed out of a drive in a big hurry as I was sailing down a hill at warp speed. Drilled the passenger side, got lucky and had no bones broken. Van seriously damaged. Thorn bush damage when ricochet into ditch stopped all motion.
T-boned a Buick that made an illegal left turn in front of me. Buick unhurt. Serious bruising and lost hide.
T-boned a Newfoundland mutt that jumped over a hedge row and planted in front of me. Dog fine. Fork blade collapsed the next day causing split open head in a zero MPH fall.
Flipped over a sprinting generic mutt that ran out of yard on a fast downhill. Knee seriously cut, lots of road rash.
Got taken down hard by a mutt that charged out from behind a car parked just off the road a couple years ago. Just serious bruising.Training and racing falls...too many to remember or list.
Bumps, bruises, sprains, strains, contusions, abrasions, lacerations...yes. Wash, rinse and repeat.
Demolished wheels and fried frames...you betcha.The usual busted brake levers, shredded seats, replaced bar tape, etc.
One helmet cracked.
Lots of destroyed shorts and jerseys. A few pairs of gloves trashed and one pair of Sidi's ruined.Season 45 of "Campy Rides Again" is currently in production. Stay tuned for future releases.
-
In a couple of them, nothing too serious though. One time I was riding downhill with a friend and my bike got stuck on his and I got projected through the skies, impressive view!
-
Volnix said:
<snip>
Wanna see some pictures? 😄 I usually take pictures of injuries after spills... 😄Of course. A better question would be, "Who doesn't want to see pics of a bruised and bloody Volnix?"
-
BrickTamland said:
Of course. A better question would be, "Who doesn't want to see pics of a bruised and bloody Volnix?"
Nope and Nope,
He's posted them before. No need to see those pale chicken legs again.
-
I was just going to link to this post:
cyclingforums.compage 38Open ↗... but the photos are gone.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23410]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23411]That last pic is the streak I left on the pavement. At full size you may see the blue from my jersey smeared on the asphalt. My wife attended my injuries and said that one of the gashes in the elbow was down to the fat - I took her word on that.
Funny thing is that I had a much lower speed wipeout a couple of weeks back and scraped up the exact same body parts.
-
Quote by Volnix:
"You could wear an eye patch and walk around with a carbon top tube as a walking stick "from that -one- accident"... 😄"The Great White Whale did that to you???
No...it was a small, blue convertible!
-
Here's one bike crash story you'll enjoy reading.
This was in the news today: foxnews.comnew dad given 2 hours to live survives bike accident after heart pump implantOpen ↗
-
Quote by Maydog:
"... but the photos are gone."Chicks dig scars!
I hope you're healed up from the bike path fall.
-
Thank God that I've never been in an accident involving a bike. I know that my cousin once smashed by car when he was riding his bike, he broke his arm and was rushed to hospital.
-
^^^ My right hip after a perfect 3 point landing. That was point 3. Point 1 was my helmeted head. Point 2 was my shoulder. Amazingly enough, points 1 and 3 suffered no other damage. Point 2 wasn't as fortunate. 🙁
-
maydog said:
Nope and Nope,
He's posted them before. No need to see those pale chicken legs again.
Got some of the arms too! 😄 Nice and fizzy from iodine. 😄CAMPYBOB said:
The Great White Whale did that to you???
No...it was a small, blue convertible!
"To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee." 😄 -
I haven't but I think the fact that I ride on backroads with no traffic helps me stay in one piece.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.