General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Especially For Montygram: Fish and the Aging Brain

Started by Sbharris[atsign]ix.netcom.com · · Last activity · 14 posts · 404 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 October 2005
Last activity
20 January 2006
Original author
Sbharris[atsign]ix.netcom.com
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
404
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/10/health/webmd/main931654.shtml

    I'm thinking I need a fish symbol on my trunk to show my commitment to
    saving my brain. But it appears I've been scooped there.

    I keep thinking of Dr. Obispo in Huxley's _After Many A Summer Dies the
    Swan_. He'd have loved this.

    SBH

    (Not statins in the water-- FISH in the water).

  2. If you want to take one powerful medication to counteract another one,
    go ahead and see what the long-term effects are. If you're not
    concerned about the in vivo lipid peroxidation, the neuroprostanes
    destroying your brain, and the immuno-suppressive effects, you're a
    braver person than I.

    I will stick with keeping my body from experiencing biochemical
    activity that is not necessary and that would involved massive free
    radical damage. I have seen the evidence, and I have seen the effects
    on my own body. I am willing to put up my own money to demonstrate
    that common lab mammals will not live as long on a fish oil or canola
    oil diet as opposed to a coconut oil one. For those who don't have
    much money, go buy 2 mice, and feed one canola and fish oil and the
    other fresh coconut oil and see which of the two lives longer. You may
    find that the one mouse won't want to eat much of canola/fish oil,
    which should tell you something right there.

    These "studies" just show that omega 3s interfere with arachidonic acid
    being made into PGE2, LTB4, and other very dangerous substances. With
    the fish oil, the nasty substances are "spread around," so that there
    is less "inflammation," which might be better than just eating plenty
    of omega 6s, but can't be optimal, given the weight of the evidence
    that is now available. Why anyone wouldn't just allow their bodies to
    do what it wants, now that it is known that humans can make their own
    PUFA, makes no sense at all.

    But again, I'll put my money where my mouth is and make the
    experimental offer. SBHarris will destroy his brain. I recently
    posted those experiments on neuroprostanes derived from EPA/DHA on this
    NG, but as they say, "some people have to learn the hard way."

  3. montygram said:

    But again, I'll put my money where my mouth is and make the
    experimental offer. SBHarris will destroy his brain. I recently
    posted those experiments on neuroprostanes derived from EPA/DHA on this
    NG, but as they say, "some people have to learn the hard way."

    COMMENT:

    Yeah, and that appears to be you. We have the epidemology on human
    fish-eaters. The live longest of any populations on earth, and their
    brains age more slowly. Direct observation. In contrast, you present
    some theoretical biochemistry. Good luck if you think you know it all.

    SBH

  4. "Sbharris[atsign]ix.netcom.com" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    montygram said:

    But again, I'll put my money where my mouth is and make the
    experimental offer. SBHarris will destroy his brain. I recently
    posted those experiments on neuroprostanes derived from EPA/DHA on this
    NG, but as they say, "some people have to learn the hard way."

    COMMENT:

    Yeah, and that appears to be you. We have the epidemology on human
    fish-eaters. The live longest of any populations on earth, and their
    brains age more slowly. Direct observation. In contrast, you present
    some theoretical biochemistry. Good luck if you think you know it all.

    SBH


    What if the fish are fed coconut oil first? That would make them more
    edible and not oxidized.
    The Coconut Milk Fish of Asia.

  5. Robert said:

    What if the fish are fed coconut oil first? That would make them more
    edible and not oxidized.
    The Coconut Milk Fish of Asia.

    And also with no omega-3. They'd have to stay in tropical water, or
    else turn into hard lumps of lard.

    Coconut oil has fatty acids too short to build cell membranes with. I
    don't know what Monty thinks he's doing in eating it. It's empty
    calories to be burned for fuel, like sugar and alcohol (and this is of
    course is exactly what the coconut uses the stuff for).

    As Monty himself points out, if you don't really *believe* you need any
    dietary source of w-3 and w-6 PUFAs, then there's no point in eating
    any oil. You might as well make your own w-9 PUFAs out of any old
    foodstuff, including carbs and protein. No oil or fat of any kind is
    required.

    SBH

  6. "Sbharris[atsign]ix.netcom.com" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/10/health/webmd/main931654.shtml

    I'm thinking I need a fish symbol on my trunk to show my commitment to
    saving my brain. But it appears I've been scooped there.

    I keep thinking of Dr. Obispo in Huxley's _After Many A Summer Dies the
    Swan_. He'd have loved this.

    SBH

    (Not statins in the water-- FISH in the water).

    Quoted message said:

    </>

  7. Sbharrisatsignix.netcom.com said:
    montygram said:

    But again, I'll put my money where my mouth is and make the
    experimental offer. SBHarris will destroy his brain. I recently
    posted those experiments on neuroprostanes derived from EPA/DHA on this
    NG, but as they say, "some people have to learn the hard way."

    In contrast, you present
    some theoretical biochemistry. Good luck if you think you know it all.

    This is the deductive logic of the Deity Montygram. 🙁

    He mistakes his model of how the human body is supposed to work for the
    scientific method.

    Montygram has my condolences. 🙁

  8. Total misrepresentation, but I have confidence objective readers will
    see through it without a problem. "Epidemiology" that starts with
    faulty assumptions, as these studies do, are worse than worthless -
    they are misleading. Asians on coconut oil diets have no or very
    little "chronic disease." That is demographic evidence, and it is is
    much more difficult to misrepresent it, which eplains why you don't
    like it.

    Fish isn't a bad food source if it's not polluted and has little fat
    content. Some canned tuna has "0 grams of fat" listed on the label, so
    the only probelm is that it may have mild serotogenic effects, unless
    you ate very large amounts of it. Many "experts" go around saying,
    "eat tuna - it's a good source of omega 3s," which is ridiculous and
    shows how little they know. Apparently, they don't even read the
    labels.

    Robert is correct: feeding animals coconut makes them more healthy
    (I've posted one study about this here many times - biopsies were taken
    as well as the incidence of "disease" among the people who ate the
    animals), though it also makes them lean, which is why farmers feed
    their cows and pigs soy and corn. This has been known for decades.
    Animals that swim in cold waters do need the omega 3s, so if SB wants
    to swim around nude in the North Atlantic during the winter, he may
    want to eat oily fish, but I suspect he'd have bigger problems to worry
    about under those conditions.

  9. 11 Oct 2005 19:24:04 -0700 in article
    <[email hidden]> "montygram"

    Quoted message said:


    Fish isn't a bad food source if it's not polluted and has little fat
    content. Some canned tuna has "0 grams of fat" listed on the label, so
    the only probelm is that it may have mild serotogenic effects, unless
    you ate very large amounts of it. Many "experts" go around saying,
    "eat tuna - it's a good source of omega 3s," which is ridiculous and
    shows how little they know. Apparently, they don't even read the
    labels.


    You don't seem to be aware that fresh and frozen tuna are excellent sources
    of omega-3 fatty acids (<http://www.fineli.fi/food.php?foodid=862&lang=en>😉.
    However, most, but not all canned tuna is processed in a way which causes
    most of omega-3s to be lost
    (<http://www.fineli.fi/food.php?foodid=11059&lang=en>😉. This applies only to
    tuna, other fish are canned in a way which does not cause loss of omega-3s.
    The experts you are referring to must have meant fresh or frozen tuna. If
    so, they were absolutely right.

    See

    Omega-3 | FAQ's
    <http://www.omega-3info.com/faqs.htm#10>

    Citation:

    "Is there a high, or even not so high, concentration of
    omega-3 in regular tuna? I've heard albacore tuna has a
    lot. I eat tuna sandwiches every day, but I'm not sure
    that they're albacore tuna. Does it make a difference?

    Fresh and frozen tuna are excellent sources of long chain
    omega-3 polyunsaturates, supplying around 5% total oil of
    which 20% is omega-3. However, during the canning process,
    most of the oil and therefore most of the omega-3 is lost.
    This is mainly because tuna is cooked before it is canned,
    and during the cooking process much of the oil is
    separated and lost. The meat that goes in the tin thus has
    a low oil content (usually less than 1g per 100g) and a
    low omega-3 content (usually less than 0.4g per 100g). It
    matters little whether the tuna is albacore or yellowfin
    because once it is canned there is little omega-3 left.
    Some tuna packers do can raw tuna so that the omega-3
    content is higher, but it is usually difficult to
    distinguish such products from the others in the
    marketplace. Enquire of the producer to be certain. These
    comments only apply to tuna. Other canned fish are just as
    good as the raw fish as sources of long chain omega-3
    polyunsaturates."

    --
    Matti Narkia

  10. montygram said:

    "Epidemiology" that starts with
    faulty assumptions, as these studies do, are worse than worthless -
    they are misleading.

    Markers are less than worthless, according to the Deity Montygram.
    Now, Epidemiological research is deemed less than worthless.

    Quoted message said:

    Asians on coconut oil diets have no or very
    little "chronic disease." That is demographic evidence, and it is is
    much more difficult to misrepresent it, which explains why you don't
    like it.

    Now, in the vary same paragraph the Deity Montygram pronounces that
    demographic evidence supports his deductive logic.

    Can the Deity kindly tell me the difference between "demographic
    evidence" and "Epidemiology?"

    I need a good laugh.

    Epidemiology that starts out with Monty's preconceived notions presents
    the scientific method, while research that starts out with "faulty
    assumptions" according to the Deity Montygram does not. 🙁

    Yeah, right, ... sure! Monty I have a better idea. You are just a
    cracked Crackpot.

    Just my opinion, but I am never wrong.

  11. Juhana Harju wrote:

    : As there is some previous evidence that certain phopholipids, e.g.
    : phosphatidylserine, prevent cognitive decline, I am enclined to
    : support their role in preventing Alzheimer disease. Also it could be
    : due to a synergistic working of many factors: DHA, EPA, DPA,
    : phospholipids, selenium, and RNA - to name just few possible
    : substances.

    Fish, particularly sardines, is high in RNA. During digestion RNA is broken
    down into, and absorbed as, nucleotides and nucleosides, which are shown to
    improve memory in mice. "Memory-deficient senescence-accelerated mice and
    mice with dementia showed improved memory with dietary nucleosides and
    nucleotides supplementation. These results indicate that supplementation
    with nucleosides and nucleotides is beneficial to the functions of the
    system and the brain."

    (Yamamoto S et al, Role of nucleosides and nucleotides in the immune system,
    gut reparation after injury, and brain function. Nutrition. 1997
    Apr;13(4):372-4.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9178291&dopt=Abstract )

    --
    Juhana

  12. Juhana Harju wrote:
    : Juhana Harju wrote:
    :
    :: As there is some previous evidence that certain phopholipids, e.g.
    :: phosphatidylserine, prevent cognitive decline, I am enclined to
    :: support their role in preventing Alzheimer disease. Also it could be
    :: due to a synergistic working of many factors: DHA, EPA, DPA,
    :: phospholipids, selenium, and RNA - to name just few possible
    :: substances.
    :
    : Fish, particularly sardines, is high in RNA. During digestion RNA is
    : broken down into, and absorbed as, nucleotides and nucleosides, which
    : are shown to improve memory in mice.
    : "Memory-deficient senescence-accelerated mice and
    : mice with dementia showed improved memory with dietary nucleosides´
    : and nucleotides supplementation. These results indicate that
    : supplementation with nucleosides and nucleotides is beneficial to
    : the functions of the system and the brain."
    :
    : (Yamamoto S et al, Role of nucleosides and nucleotides in the immune
    : system, gut reparation after injury, and brain function. Nutrition.
    : 1997 Apr;13(4):372-4.
    :
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9178291&dopt=Abstract
    :

    Further reading: "The present results show that the chronic oral
    administration of an NS [nucleosides] + NT [nucleotides] mixture is
    associated with a reduction in the age-related deterioration of brain
    morphology and memory. [...]
    In conclusion, we showed that in aged SAMP8 [mice], supplementation of the
    diet with NS + NT was associated with a reduced deterioration of
    morphological variables and memory tasks."

    (Chen TH et al, A nucleoside-nucleotide mixture may reduce memory
    deterioration in old senescence-accelerated mice. J Nutr. 2000
    Dec;130(12):3085-9.
    Full study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=11110874&dopt=Abstract )

    --
    Juhana

  13. On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:27:45 +0300, Juhana Harju wrote in
    <news:[email hidden]> on sci.med.nutrition :

    Quoted message said:

    Link to the full study (may require registration, but it is free):
    http://archneur.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/62.12.noc50161v1

    Thanks for the useful tip. 🙂
    I registered as a guest and now I can access some Jama free full
    texts.
    That specific articles seems to be still restricted though.

    --
    Enrico C

    * cut the ending "cut-togli.invalid" string when replying by email *

  14. On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:27:45 +0300, Juhana Harju wrote in
    <news:[email hidden]> on sci.med.nutrition :

    Quoted message said:

    Link to the full study (may require registration, but it is free):
    http://archneur.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/62.12.noc50161v1

    Thanks for the useful tip. 🙂
    I registered as a guest and now I can access some Jama free full
    texts.
    That specific article seems to be still restricted though.

    --
    Enrico C

    * cut the ending "cut-togli.invalid" string when replying by email *

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.