Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Ellsworth Truth versus Santa Cruz Blur

Started by Erikee · · Last activity · 55 posts · 9,406 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
22 March 2003
Last activity
30 March 2003
Original author
Erikee
Posts
55
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,406
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 55
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I posted this item just moments ago on rec.bicycles.off-road, but I didn't realize all the MTB
    traffic's moved to this newsgroup; thus the crosspost...

    I'm looking at buying my first FS frame (I've been riding MTBs since 1984), and I'm looking for
    advice. I'm considering two models: the Santa Cruz Blur and the Ellsworth Truth. I don't want to
    spend much more than $3,500 to build up the bike with disc brakes, so I'm trying to be careful about
    not overspending on the frame.

    I expect performance between the two frames is about equal, with maybe just a slight advantage going
    to the Truth. However, the Ellsworth has a lifetime warranty, whereas I'm hearing the Blur is only
    warranted for 12 months. I'm no huckster, but I weigh 194 pounds and I often ride challenging single
    track (say twice a week) and commute by bike to work.

    I've read that the Ellsworth Truth, when spec'd with the Cane Creek rear shock, is prone to frame
    failures with heavier riders. Is this true, or are these failures anomalies?Would you recommend
    saving $500 and getting the Blur frame or biting the bullet and going with the Ellsworth (I don't
    want to have to buy another frame for at least four years).

    TIA,

    EE

  2. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    Would you recommend saving $500 and getting the Blur frame or biting the bullet and going with the
    Ellsworth (I don't want to have to buy another frame for at least four years).

    I've got an Ellsworth Isis. Second frame. First one cracked and was eventually replaced
    under warranty.

    I still like the bike a lot, but would not buy Ellsworth unless it were through a retailer that I
    felt I could rely on to be the middleman on any warranty issues.

    I exercised the bad judgement of dealing with Ellsworth direct and my (strongly-held...) opinion
    is that they are not good at dealing with the public. Dealers maybe "yes"....Joe
    Public....definately not.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  3. --
    members.rogers.comtheblackfoxx "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    RE/

    Quoted message said:

    Would you recommend saving $500 and getting the Blur frame or biting the bullet and going with
    the Ellsworth (I don't


    want

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to have to buy another frame for at least four years).

    I've got an Ellsworth Isis. Second frame. First one cracked and was


    eventually

    Quoted message said:

    replaced under warranty.

    I still like the bike a lot, but would not buy Ellsworth unless it were


    through

    Quoted message said:

    a retailer that I felt I could rely on to be the middleman on any warranty issues.

    I exercised the bad judgement of dealing with Ellsworth direct and my (strongly-held...) opinion
    is that they are not good at dealing with the


    public.

    Quoted message said:

    Dealers maybe "yes"....Joe Public....definately not.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

    Blur

  4. Quoted message said:

    I've got an Ellsworth Isis. Second frame. First one cracked and was


    eventually

    Quoted message said:

    replaced under warranty.

    I still like the bike a lot, but would not buy Ellsworth unless it were


    through

    Quoted message said:

    a retailer that I felt I could rely on to be the middleman on any warranty issues.

    I exercised the bad judgement of dealing with Ellsworth direct and my (strongly-held...) opinion
    is that they are not good at dealing with the


    public.

    Quoted message said:

    Dealers maybe "yes"....Joe Public....definately not.

    This is really [censored]. Such an expensive frame should come with valid warranty. I was on the verge of
    buying one but when I found out about all the hassles some have had I bet on a Titus Switchblade
    instead. I would go for the Blur. However, it might be a good idea to wait a while. There may be a
    lot of hype to it.

    Per user.tninet.seMTB.html

  5. ..::TBF::.. said:

    --
    members.rogers.comtheblackfoxx "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    RE/

    Quoted message said:

    Would you recommend saving $500 and getting the Blur frame or biting the bullet and going with
    the Ellsworth (I don't

    want

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to have to buy another frame for at least four years).

    I've got an Ellsworth Isis. Second frame. First one cracked and was

    eventually

    Quoted message said:

    replaced under warranty.

    I still like the bike a lot, but would not buy Ellsworth unless it were

    through

    Quoted message said:

    a retailer that I felt I could rely on to be the middleman on any warranty issues.

    I exercised the bad judgement of dealing with Ellsworth direct and my (strongly-held...) opinion
    is that they are not good at dealing with the

    public.

    Quoted message said:

    Dealers maybe "yes"....Joe Public....definately not.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

    Blur

    Truth

    --
    "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,
    just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

  6. Per Löwdin said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've got an Ellsworth Isis. Second frame. First one cracked and was


    eventually

    Quoted message said:

    replaced under warranty.

    I still like the bike a lot, but would not buy Ellsworth unless it were


    through

    Quoted message said:

    a retailer that I felt I could rely on to be the middleman on any warranty issues.

    I exercised the bad judgement of dealing with Ellsworth direct and my (strongly-held...) opinion
    is that they are not good at dealing with the


    public.

    Quoted message said:

    Dealers maybe "yes"....Joe Public....definately not.

    This is really [censored]. Such an expensive frame should come with valid warranty. I was on the verge
    of buying one but when I found out about all the hassles some have had I bet on a Titus
    Switchblade instead. I would go for the Blur. However, it might be a good idea to wait a while.
    There may be a lot of hype to it.

    Per user.tninet.seMTB.html

    Here's my take on Ellsworth. Now, I used to own a bike shop here in San Diego, where Ellsworths are
    from. Tony Ellsworth wanted me to carry his line in my shop, but I never did. I special ordered a
    few for customers, but didn't stock the line. The reason is this-the frames are too light for a
    large number (pun intended) of bikers out there, but Ellsworth never bothers to say so. The Truth is
    a great frame, and if I had to ride a suspension bike it would be my choice, but... for rough or
    heavier riders they are frame failures waiting to happen. As a shop owner, I never wanted to have
    any customers come back to me with broken bikes. It sucks. Most Ellsworth failures (in fact, all I
    have seen) have been in the rocker arm. If a frame has to fail, at least this is a good spot for it
    as any (unlikely to cause injury). To a customer buying an Ellsworth, my advice is this: buy one if
    you are a light or smooth rider who really wants what seems to be the best riding suspension bike
    out there. Buy it from a shop that actually stocks Ellsworth, and not from a mail order house. As I
    said, IF I were to buy myself a suspension bike, the Truth would be my first choice, from a VERY
    short list of candidates.

    Miles

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: opera.comm2

  7. "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ..::TBF::.. wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Blur


    Truth

    Seems to be a lot of that going on lately.

    Mike

  8. Quoted message said:

    Here's my take on Ellsworth. Now, I used to own a bike shop here in San Diego, where Ellsworths
    are from. Tony Ellsworth wanted me to carry his line in my shop, but I never did. I special
    ordered a few for customers, but didn't stock the line. The reason is this-the frames are too
    light for a large number (pun intended) of bikers out there, but Ellsworth never bothers to say
    so. The Truth is a great frame, and if I had to ride a suspension bike it would be my choice,
    but... for rough or heavier riders they are frame failures waiting to happen. As a shop owner, I
    never wanted to have any customers come back to me with broken bikes. It sucks. Most Ellsworth
    failures (in fact, all I have seen) have been in the rocker arm. If a frame has to fail, at least
    this is a good spot for it as any (unlikely to cause injury). To a customer buying an Ellsworth,
    my advice is this: buy one if you are a light or smooth rider who really wants what seems to be
    the best riding suspension bike out there. Buy it from a shop that actually stocks Ellsworth, and
    not from a mail order house. As I said, IF I were to buy myself a suspension bike, the Truth would
    be my first choice, from a VERY short list of candidates.

    Miles

    Who or what are the other candidates? (just curious since you have a lot of experience)
    --
    Slacker

  9. Slacker said:


    Who or what are the other candidates? (just curious since you have a lot of experience)
    --
    Slacker


    Well, I'm an XC guy, so...

    Ellsworth Truth Titus Racer X Yeti AS-R

    Those are a few that pop into mind.

    Miles

  10. miles todd said:
    Slacker said:


    Who or what are the other candidates? (just curious since you have a lot of experience)
    --
    Slacker


    Well, I'm an XC guy, so...

    Ellsworth Truth

    $2000

    Quoted message said:

    Titus Racer X

    $1650

    Quoted message said:

    Yeti AS-R

    $1700

    Quoted message said:

    Those are a few that pop into mind.

    Miles

    I'd love to get one of those, but the blur is hard to pass up at $1300 or 1350 (powdercoated).

    Jon Bond

  11. "ErikEE" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>... <snip sadness>

    Neither. Titus Racer-X.

    JD

  12. "Per Löwdin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've got an Ellsworth Isis. Second frame. First one cracked and was


    eventually

    Quoted message said:

    replaced under warranty.

    I still like the bike a lot, but would not buy Ellsworth unless it were


    through

    Quoted message said:

    a retailer that I felt I could rely on to be the middleman on any


    warranty

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    issues.

    I exercised the bad judgement of dealing with Ellsworth direct and my (strongly-held...) opinion
    is that they are not good at dealing with the


    public.

    Quoted message said:

    Dealers maybe "yes"....Joe Public....definately not.

    This is really [censored]. Such an expensive frame should come with valid warranty. I was on the verge
    of buying one but when I found out about all the hassles some have had I bet on a Titus
    Switchblade instead. I would go for the Blur. However, it might be a good idea to wait a while.
    There may


    be

    Quoted message said:

    a lot of hype to it.


    Hype won't make a bike any better or worse.

  13. Jonathan Bond said:
    miles todd said:
    Slacker said:


    Who or what are the other candidates? (just curious since you have a lot of experience) --
    Slacker


    Well, I'm an XC guy, so...

    Ellsworth Truth

    $2000

    Quoted message said:

    Titus Racer X

    $1650

    Quoted message said:

    Yeti AS-R

    $1700

    Quoted message said:

    Those are a few that pop into mind.

    Miles

    I'd love to get one of those, but the blur is hard to pass up at $1300 or 1350 (powdercoated).

    Jon Bond

    Well, sure the Blur is cheaper. It's made by Kinesis. If they made the others, they'd be cheap, too.

    Miles

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: opera.comm2

  14. miles todd said:
    Jonathan Bond said:
    miles todd said:

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:18:15 GMT, Slacker <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >
    > Who or what are the other candidates? (just curious since you have a lot of experience) --
    > Slacker
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Well, I'm an XC guy, so...

    Ellsworth Truth

    $2000

    Quoted message said:

    Titus Racer X

    $1650

    Quoted message said:

    Yeti AS-R

    $1700

    Quoted message said:

    Those are a few that pop into mind.

    Miles

    I'd love to get one of those, but the blur is hard to pass up at $1300 or 1350 (powdercoated).

    Jon Bond

    Well, sure the Blur is cheaper. It's made by Kinesis. If they made the others, they'd be
    cheap, too.

    Miles

    Not sure if I follow... I thought SC did [almost] all of their stuff in house?

    Is being made by kenisis a good thing or a bad thing? I don't care about prestige, or name, but its
    nice to have something that won't break underneath me (granted, I am only 135lbs...)

    Jon Bond

  15. --
    members.rogers.comtheblackfoxx "miles todd" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:oprmg60dr2lkb6ka@news-server...

    Quoted message said:
    Jonathan Bond said:
    miles todd said:

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:18:15 GMT, Slacker <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >
    > Who or what are the other candidates? (just curious since you have a lot of experience) --
    > Slacker
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Well, I'm an XC guy, so...

    Ellsworth Truth

    $2000

    Quoted message said:

    Titus Racer X

    $1650

    Quoted message said:

    Yeti AS-R

    $1700

    Quoted message said:

    Those are a few that pop into mind.

    Miles

    I'd love to get one of those, but the blur is hard to pass up at $1300


    or

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    1350 (powdercoated).

    Jon Bond

    Well, sure the Blur is cheaper. It's made by Kinesis. If they made the others, they'd be
    cheap, too.

    Miles

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: opera.comm2

    Read the review on the SC Blur in this month's Mountainbike Action

  16. Quoted message said:

    Hype won't make a bike any better or worse.

    Not in itself. No. On the other hand the bike mags have been known to hype really things: e.g.,
    there was a while when they raised biopacing (chainrings that were not perfectly round but uneven)
    to the skies. There is every reason to be cautious. That said: I really hope the Blur is as good as
    they claim. If it is I might consider one next time I am going to buy a new bike.

    Per user.tninet.seMTB.html

  17. "Per Löwdin" <[email hidden]> skrev i meddelandet "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Hype won't make a bike any better or worse.

    Not in itself. No. On the other hand the bike mags have been known to hype really


    dumb

    Quoted message said:

    things: e.g., there was a while when they raised biopacing (chainrings that were not perfectly
    round but uneven) to the skies. There


    is

    Quoted message said:

    every reason to be cautious. That said: I really hope the Blur is as good


    as

    Quoted message said:

    they claim. If it is I might consider one next time I am going to buy a


    new

    Quoted message said:

    bike.

    Per user.tninet.seMTB.html

  18. Quoted message said:

    Titus Racer X

    My wife has one XS

    user.tninet.seLunsenled6b.JPG

    Handles wonderfully. She loves it.

    Per user.tninet.seMTB.html

  19. Pete,

    Thanks for the feedback. The more I look into this, the more I hear about heavier riders having
    trouble with Ellsworths and poor customer service.

    I'm going to go with the Blur, due in large part to the word of mouth I've heard about problems with
    the Ellsworth.

    EE "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    RE/

    Quoted message said:

    Would you recommend saving $500 and getting the Blur frame or biting the bullet and going with
    the Ellsworth (I don't


    want

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to have to buy another frame for at least four years).

    I've got an Ellsworth Isis. Second frame. First one cracked and was


    eventually

    Quoted message said:

    replaced under warranty.

    I still like the bike a lot, but would not buy Ellsworth unless it were


    through

    Quoted message said:

    a retailer that I felt I could rely on to be the middleman on any warranty issues.

    I exercised the bad judgement of dealing with Ellsworth direct and my (strongly-held...) opinion
    is that they are not good at dealing with the


    public.

    Quoted message said:

    Dealers maybe "yes"....Joe Public....definately not.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  20. The Blur is going on its second year, now. I'm hoping the fact that every review I've seen (about
    five of them) are nothing but glowing. Should something go wrong, I feel that Santa Cruz is much
    more likely to stand behind the product.

    Time will tell.

    Thanks,

    EE

    "Per Löwdin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've got an Ellsworth Isis. Second frame. First one cracked and was


    eventually

    Quoted message said:

    replaced under warranty.

    I still like the bike a lot, but would not buy Ellsworth unless it were


    through

    Quoted message said:

    a retailer that I felt I could rely on to be the middleman on any


    warranty

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    issues.

    I exercised the bad judgement of dealing with Ellsworth direct and my (strongly-held...) opinion
    is that they are not good at dealing with the


    public.

    Quoted message said:

    Dealers maybe "yes"....Joe Public....definately not.

    This is really [censored]. Such an expensive frame should come with valid warranty. I was on the verge
    of buying one but when I found out about all the hassles some have had I bet on a Titus
    Switchblade instead. I would go for the Blur. However, it might be a good idea to wait a while.
    There may


    be

    Quoted message said:

    a lot of hype to it.

    Per user.tninet.seMTB.html

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.