Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Education education education

Started by EuanB · · Last activity · 20 posts · 1,244 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
29 March 2006
Last activity
31 March 2006
Original author
EuanB
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,244
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I had a B double toot me as he was overtaking me on Centre Dandenong road this morning. I had a chat with him at the next lights.

    Nutshell version: he understood that it was legal and correct for a cyclist to ride on the road but thought `common sense' would dictate I'd prefer to ride in the service road.

    I explained to him that uncontrolled intersections are one of the most dangerous constructs on the road for a cyclist. One second he's got a clear road, the next second a cyclist pops out. If I stay on the road he's got much more time to see and react to my presence on the road.

    He understood that, in fact you could see the light bulb of comoprehension going off.

    Next lights I'm filtering right so I give him the big thumbs up as he's heading straight on and get a `toot toot' in return :-)

  2. EuanB said:

    I had a B double toot me as he was overtaking me on Centre Dandenong road this morning. I had a chat with him at the next lights.

    Used to deal with B-doubles when working down at Port Melbourne, never had one toot at me. Some of the best conversations I've had about traffic interactions were out in the yard when the subbies were having a smoko/meal break. Plenty of stuff about cyclists should assertive and hold a line, don't wobble all over the road, make signals/eye contact, wear reflective clothing and lights. Lights on the helmet, since from a rigs perspective they find it very hard to view flickies on the seat post/pannier rack.

  3. cfsmtb said:

    Used to deal with B-doubles when working down at Port Melbourne, never had one toot at me. Some of the best conversations I've had about traffic interactions were out in the yard when the subbies were having a smoko/meal break. Plenty of stuff about cyclists should assertive and hold a line, don't wobble all over the road, make signals/eye contact, wear reflective clothing and lights. Lights on the helmet, since from a rigs perspective they find it very hard to view flickies on the seat post/pannier rack.

    zackly! that's why the LEDs on yer front/rear of helmet are (should be!) mandatory.

    F"preachin to the converted"Dutch

  4. flyingdutch said:

    zackly! that's why the LEDs on yer front/rear of helmet are (should be!) mandatory.

    F"preachin to the converted"Dutch

    I was very taken with your arrangement last night Dutchy and plan to set up the same for my commutes, rather than just have the whiteys on the handlebars.

  5. flyingdutch said:

    zackly! that's why the LEDs on yer front/rear of helmet are (should
    be!) mandatory.

    Mind you last week, while driving at night I noticed a few cyclists with
    single LED tail-lights, and they were noticeable by their lack of
    noticeability. One tiny LED, flashing or steady really does not stand out ,
    especially in the crowded lighting of an inner suburban street. You really
    need extra lights as well.
    --
    Cheers
    Peter

    ~~~ ~ _@
    ~~ ~ _- \,
    ~~ (*)/ (*)

    I prefer to use two tail lights, mounted on the bike, one is 7 LEDs, the
    othe 5 LEDs. The volume of light is much greater, and can be seen readily
    even from an angle.

    Favourite is the Vistalite Super Nebula 5 LED that bolts to the rear of my
    rack, incorporates a red reflector and is very bright. Unfortunately my LBS
    tells me that Vistalite are no longer making this light :-( So if anyone
    knows of a source for a few of these in Melbourne, let me know. I'd love to
    stock up for the future.

  6. "EuanB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I had a B double toot me as he was overtaking me on Centre Dandenong
    road this morning. I had a chat with him at the next lights.

    Nutshell version: he understood that it was legal and correct for a
    cyclist to ride on the road but thought `common sense' would dictate
    I'd prefer to ride in the service road.

    I explained to him that uncontrolled intersections are one of the most
    dangerous constructs on the road for a cyclist. One second he's got a
    clear road, the next second a cyclist pops out. If I stay on the road
    he's got much more time to see and react to my presence on the road.

    He understood that, in fact you could see the light bulb of
    comoprehension going off.

    Next lights I'm filtering right so I give him the big thumbs up as
    he's heading straight on and get a `toot toot' in return :-)

    --
    EuanB

    Always nice to see people actually being amenable to the idea of changing
    their worldview when relevant information pops up. So many people seem to
    see that as some sort of admission of defeat or something. Here's hoping he
    spreads the word.

  7. EuanB said:

    Next lights I'm filtering right so I give him the big thumbs up as he's heading straight on and get a `toot toot' in return :-)


    It's great to see that sort of positive communication going on. He and you probably felt a lot better for it.

    It's very unlike my last dealing with a truck driver with a single front tooth missing (sexy) from Lamanna Bananas. Still sends shivers up my spine.

    Lotte

  8. It's hardly worth stocking up on old lights. As LED technology improves, newer lights are just as bright and cheaper. Eg. I have an old one LED white front light that is less bright than a Basta X-Light.

    Having said that, I'm still using the same Vistalite as yours Peter plus a Basta 7 LED flasher. The button light on my helmet I got at the Kona last year is heaps brighter than the original Basta X-Light it replaced - that is in both the red and white version.

    BTW, Kathmandu have bike lights and gloves on sale at the moment. Button lights are about $10 each. Ebay has heaps of lights, very cheap from Hong Kong too. I got a 14 LED head lamp for about $13 including batteries. It's as bright as a dynamo light. You can now get 28 LED and Luxeon models for $20 or so.

  9. Wooo hooo - did someone say ***Luxeon***?

    Ok back on topic, the Basta X-Light is nifty little unit, but an absolute pain in the proverbial to replace batteries, the casing is a 'micromillimeter' too small. Got around that by putting it in the sun briefly to expand slightly.

  10. quote='Peter Signorini''flyingdutch said:

    zackly! that's why the LEDs on yer front/rear of helmet are (should
    be!) mandatory.

    Mind you last week, while driving at night I noticed a few cyclists with
    single LED tail-lights, and they were noticeable by their lack of
    noticeability. One tiny LED, flashing or steady really does not stand out ,
    especially in the crowded lighting of an inner suburban street. You really
    need extra lights as well.
    --
    Cheers
    Peter

    ~~~ ~ _@
    ~~ ~ _- \,
    ~~ (*)/ (*)

    [/QUOTE]

    Driving home along the Boulie from last night's crit was a strong reminder how easily cyclists become invisible just around and after dusk. Lots of guys riding home, most of them barely visible with their single or paired flashing LEDS. Need more lights and reflective gear guys!!

  11. warrwych said:

    Driving home along the Boulie from last night's crit was a strong reminder how easily cyclists become invisible just around and after dusk. Lots of guys riding home, most of them barely visible with their single or paired flashing LEDS. Need more lights and reflective gear guys!!

    Ah it's autumn & end of daylight savings (in Vic)

    Probably a Cycling Promotion press release coming soon, BV already has something on their site.

  12. warrwych said:

    I was very taken with your arrangement last night Dutchy and plan to set up the same for my commutes, rather than just have the whiteys on the handlebars.

    Aw shucks...

    i should add a qualification that these are ONLY for 'Be-Seen' purposes and compliment other/stronger lights also.
    The advantage is the added height they offer (and thus 'be-seen' value) whilst in traffic/over-distances
    On the rear i also have clip on Cateye on the jersey pocket
    plus on the commuter reflective rim tape on frame and wheel rims
    (can be seen from miles away and makes lots of movement)

    The 3 on the front also compliment my trusty (Halogen 🙁 )
    Cateye NC200(?) Daylights. 10W+5W. Awesome and gets the occasional complaint to turn my 'headlights' down.

    Oh, and lastly try and wear light coloured tops also (altho i cant face flouro 🙄 )...

  13. Lotte:

    Quoted message said:

    It's very unlike my last dealing with a truck driver with a single front tooth missing (sexy) from Lamanna >Bananas.

    I hope you told Lamanna that cyclists eat a lot of bananas! The company
    is pretty big on image, so I don't think they would appreciate their
    drivers bringing them into disrepute.
    http://www.lamanna.com.au/

    Donga

  14. EuanB said:

    He understood that, in fact you could see the light bulb of
    comoprehension going off.

    Hopefully it went on rather than off 🙂

    Graeme

  15. Donga said:

    I hope you told Lamanna that cyclists eat a lot of bananas! The company is pretty big on image, so I don't think they would appreciate their
    drivers bringing them into disrepute.lamanna.com.aulamanna.com.au

    Hehe, good point. Hope you'll join us on the fat [censored] ride tomorrow.

    Lotte

  16. cfsmtb said:

    Wooo hooo - did someone say ***Luxeon***?

    Ok back on topic, the Basta X-Light is nifty little unit, but an absolute pain in the proverbial to replace batteries, the casing is a 'micromillimeter' too small. Got around that by putting it in the sun briefly to expand slightly.

    I believe the standard measure for such things is the beesdick (bD).

  17. Resound said:

    I believe the standard measure for such things is the beesdick (bD).

    Any relation to other units of measurements such as ankle biter (aB), back of bourke (boB), and bog standard (bS) ?

  18. cfsmtb wrote -

    Quoted message said:

    Any relation to other units of measurements such as ankle biter (aB),
    back of bourke (boB), and bog standard (bS) ?

    I think its a scandal that the SI folk still haven't come up with a metric
    equivalent for the 'British Standard Handful'

    best, Andrew

  19. Andrew Price said:

    I think its a scandal that the SI folk still haven't come up with a metric
    equivalent for the 'British Standard Handful'

    While they're at it, they might add the Calibrated Gut Feeling (CGF)
    and slightly less reputable Data-Free Observation (DFO).

    Donga

  20. "Andrew Price" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    cfsmtb wrote -

    Quoted message said:

    Any relation to other units of measurements such as ankle biter (aB),
    back of bourke (boB), and bog standard (bS) ?

    I think its a scandal that the SI folk still haven't come up with a metric
    equivalent for the 'British Standard Handful'

    best, Andrew

    I thought that was the C-cup.

    *r*ns away*

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.