Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Editorial in The Age this morning

Started by Bugbear · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,125 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
6 September 2007
Last activity
10 September 2007
Original author
Bugbear
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,125
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been in Melbourne this week for work (had to leave the bike at
    home) so I've had a chance to see how the other half lives. It's good
    to see alot of cyclists around the city...

    I also happened to notice the anti-cyclist rants that were being
    posted in The Age newspaper this week. Some of it seems reasonable -
    doing 30km/h through a crowded pedestrian thoroughfare is pretty
    stupid - but they didn't mention how busy their 10km/h posted speed
    trap was. If there's noone to hit, and you have good control, what
    difference does it make how fast you are going.

    The icing on the cake came this morning. If you would be so good as
    to look at the editorial of todays paper. It's more of the same -
    cyclist must be brought to heel and punished for their evil ways.
    What I found amusing (well in a cynical way) is how directly under the
    editor's rant on cyclists was the current road toll for this year -
    over 200 people have been killed by motorists this year.

    But that's OK. Cyclist's are still evil.

    Oh well. I've put on 4kg this week through no exercise and too much
    restaurant food. I'm looking forward to hitting the bike next week
    and getting my weight back down.

    Oh and Melbourne's put on some fantastic weather this week.
    Considering I'm Sydney born, living in Perth, that's gotta be saying
    something.

    Happy commuting everyone!

  2. Bugbear said:

    I've been in Melbourne this week for work (had to leave the bike at
    home) so I've had a chance to see how the other half lives. It's good
    to see alot of cyclists around the city...

    I also happened to notice the anti-cyclist rants that were being
    posted in The Age newspaper this week. Some of it seems reasonable -
    doing 30km/h through a crowded pedestrian thoroughfare is pretty
    stupid - but they didn't mention how busy their 10km/h posted speed
    trap was. If there's noone to hit, and you have good control, what
    difference does it make how fast you are going.

    Sure it's The Age? Actually they're been taking a positive angle with promoting cycling in Melbourne.

    Although the HS has been losing the plot somewhat by recycling 'cyclists on Southbank' amber threat status.

    Slow down, hoons warned (September 7, 2007)
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22376341-2862,00.html

    Fears as bikes put walkers in danger (September 26, 2006)
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20464772-2862,00.html

    Cyclists putting others at risk due to being impatient or just plain selflish is stupid, but isn't real hoon actually more like this?

    Accused hoon in protective custody (August 13, 2007)
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22236245-1702,00.html?from=public_rss

  3. On Sep 7, 2:13 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2wi...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:
    Bugbear said:

    I've been in Melbourne this week for work (had to leave the bike at
    home) so I've had a chance to see how the other half lives. It's good
    to see alot of cyclists around the city...

    Quoted message said:

    I also happened to notice the anti-cyclist rants that were being
    posted in The Age newspaper this week. Some of it seems reasonable -
    doing 30km/h through a crowded pedestrian thoroughfare is pretty
    stupid - but they didn't mention how busy their 10km/h posted speed
    trap was. If there's noone to hit, and you have good control, what
    difference does it make how fast you are going.

    Sure it's The Age? Actually they're been taking a positive angle with
    promoting cycling in Melbourne.

    Although the HS has been losing the plot somewhat by recycling
    'cyclists on Southbank' amber threat status.

    Slow down, hoons warned (September 7, 2007)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22376341-2862,00.html

    Fears as bikes put walkers in danger (September 26, 2006)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20464772-2862,00.html

    Cyclists putting others at risk due to being impatient or just plain
    selflish is stupid, but isn't real hoon actually more like this?

    Accused hoon in protective custody (August 13, 2007)http://tinyurl.com/2ccwso

    --
    cfsmtb

    My mistake. It was the tabloid sized one! The Herald Sun?

  4. Bugbear said:

    On Sep 7, 2:13 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2wi...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:

    Bugbear Wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've been in Melbourne this week for work (had to leave the bike at
    home) so I've had a chance to see how the other half lives. It's good
    to see alot of cyclists around the city...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I also happened to notice the anti-cyclist rants that were being
    posted in The Age newspaper this week. Some of it seems reasonable -
    doing 30km/h through a crowded pedestrian thoroughfare is pretty
    stupid - but they didn't mention how busy their 10km/h posted speed
    trap was. If there's noone to hit, and you have good control, what
    difference does it make how fast you are going.

    Quoted message said:

    Sure it's The Age? Actually they're been taking a positive angle with
    promoting cycling in Melbourne.

    Quoted message said:

    Although the HS has been losing the plot somewhat by recycling
    'cyclists on Southbank' amber threat status.

    Quoted message said:

    Slow down, hoons warned (September 7, 2007)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22376341-2862,00.html

    Quoted message said:

    Fears as bikes put walkers in danger (September 26, 2006)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20464772-2862,00.html

    Quoted message said:

    Cyclists putting others at risk due to being impatient or just plain
    selflish is stupid, but isn't real hoon actually more like this?

    Quoted message said:

    Accused hoon in protective custody (August 13, 2007)http://tinyurl.com/2ccwso

    Quoted message said:

    --
    cfsmtb

    My mistake. It was the tabloid sized one! The Herald Sun?

    The Melbourne Daily Astonisher. That's the one.

  5. "Bleve" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bugbear said:

    On Sep 7, 2:13 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2wi...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:

    Bugbear Wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    > I've been in Melbourne this week for work (had to leave the bike at
    > home) so I've had a chance to see how the other half lives. It's
    > good
    > to see alot of cyclists around the city...

    Quoted message said:

    > I also happened to notice the anti-cyclist rants that were being
    > posted in The Age newspaper this week. Some of it seems reasonable -
    > doing 30km/h through a crowded pedestrian thoroughfare is pretty
    > stupid - but they didn't mention how busy their 10km/h posted speed
    > trap was. If there's noone to hit, and you have good control, what
    > difference does it make how fast you are going.

    Quoted message said:

    Sure it's The Age? Actually they're been taking a positive angle with
    promoting cycling in Melbourne.

    Quoted message said:

    Although the HS has been losing the plot somewhat by recycling
    'cyclists on Southbank' amber threat status.

    Quoted message said:

    Slow down, hoons warned (September 7,
    2007)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22376341-2862,00.html

    Quoted message said:

    Fears as bikes put walkers in danger (September 26,
    2006)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20464772-2862,00.html

    Quoted message said:

    Cyclists putting others at risk due to being impatient or just plain
    selflish is stupid, but isn't real hoon actually more like this?

    Quoted message said:

    Accused hoon in protective custody (August 13,
    2007)http://tinyurl.com/2ccwso

    Quoted message said:

    --
    cfsmtb

    My mistake. It was the tabloid sized one! The Herald Sun?

    The Melbourne Daily Astonisher. That's the one.

    A.K.A "The Herald Scum" in reference to the majority of it's readership
    base.

  6. Elguapo said:

    "Bleve" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bugbear said:

    On Sep 7, 2:13 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2wi...@no-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Bugbear Wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > I've been in Melbourne this week for work (had to leave the bike at
    > > home) so I've had a chance to see how the other half lives. It's
    > > good
    > > to see alot of cyclists around the city...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > I also happened to notice the anti-cyclist rants that were being
    > > posted in The Age newspaper this week. Some of it seems reasonable -
    > > doing 30km/h through a crowded pedestrian thoroughfare is pretty
    > > stupid - but they didn't mention how busy their 10km/h posted speed
    > > trap was. If there's noone to hit, and you have good control, what
    > > difference does it make how fast you are going.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Sure it's The Age? Actually they're been taking a positive angle with
    > promoting cycling in Melbourne.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Although the HS has been losing the plot somewhat by recycling
    > 'cyclists on Southbank' amber threat status.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Slow down, hoons warned (September 7,
    > 2007)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22376341-2862,00.html

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Fears as bikes put walkers in danger (September 26,
    > 2006)http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20464772-2862,00.html

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Cyclists putting others at risk due to being impatient or just plain
    > selflish is stupid, but isn't real hoon actually more like this?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Accused hoon in protective custody (August 13,
    > 2007)http://tinyurl.com/2ccwso

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > --
    > cfsmtb

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My mistake. It was the tabloid sized one! The Herald Sun?

    Quoted message said:

    The Melbourne Daily Astonisher. That's the one.

    A.K.A "The Herald Scum" in reference to the majority of it's readership
    base.- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    Well then I'm glad I didn't pay for the paper then (at least, not
    directly...)

  7. Well then I'm glad I didn't pay for the paper then (at least, not
    directly...)[/QUOTE]

    you paid what it was worth then:-)

  8. ProfTournesol said:

    Well then I'm glad I didn't pay for the paper then (at least, not
    directly...)

    you paid what it was worth then:-)[/QUOTE]

    No... still paid more than it was worth...

  9. Roadie_scum said:

    No... still paid more than it was worth...

    The Herald Sun is like MX. They'd have to pay me to read it for it to be
    worth the cost.

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@ to usenet".

  10. Stuart Lamble said:

    The Herald Sun is like MX. They'd have to pay me to read it for it to be
    worth the cost.

    Oh be nice. The Sudoku is a good way to pass a train trip.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
    I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory

  11. Dave said:
    Stuart Lamble said:

    The Herald Sun is like MX. They'd have to pay me to read it for it to be
    worth the cost.

    Oh be nice. The Sudoku is a good way to pass a train trip.

    Five minutes and I'm done. Next!

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@ to usenet".

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.