Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Durace triple to FSA Compact Crank

Started by rparker1 · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,380 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 August 2004
Last activity
8 August 2004
Original author
rparker1
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,380
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a Trek 5500 triple (Durace). The crank has been nothing but trouble. I would like to change the crank set to a FSA Compact. I realize the bottom bracket would need to be changed. Would I also need to change the derailers and shifters?
    Thanks for your thoughts.

  2. rparker1 said:

    I have a Trek 5500 triple (Durace). The crank has been nothing but trouble. I would like to change the crank set to a FSA Compact. I realize the bottom bracket would need to be changed. Would I also need to change the derailers and shifters?
    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Define 'trouble". The shifters will shift a double.The derailers will work with a double,but the front might work better witha double FD.

  3. boudreaux said:

    Define 'trouble". The shifters will shift a double.The derailers will work with a double,but the front might work better witha double FD.

    When shifting from the large ring to the middle, the chain frequently falls onto the small ring. This is a particular problem if the shift is done under any pressure. Once on the small ring, it is very difficult to get back to the middle ring. My LBS describes this as "a well known problem with the durace T". The problem has been made better by some deft Dremel work on the middle ring. Shimano doesn't have an answer other than the Dremel and some spacers.

  4. rparker1 said:

    When shifting from the large ring to the middle, the chain frequently falls onto the small ring. This is a particular problem if the shift is done under any pressure. Once on the small ring, it is very difficult to get back to the middle ring. My LBS describes this as "a well known problem with the durace T". The problem has been made better by some deft Dremel work on the middle ring. Shimano doesn't have an answer other than the Dremel and some spacers.


    Not a 'well known' problem I have heard about,but there aren't that many DA triples. I can cause the same problems with any mal adjusted triple I have.

  5. rparker1 said:

    I have a Trek 5500 triple (Durace). The crank has been nothing but trouble. I would like to change the crank set to a FSA Compact. I realize the bottom bracket would need to be changed. Would I also need to change the derailers and shifters?
    Thanks for your thoughts.

    I have an FSA Team Carbon triple which shifts great with a DA FD. Unless you really want a compact crank, you could just go to an FSA triple crankset.

  6. i've had a compact crank for about a month.

    while the increased spread of gears is nice, because of the 16T difference up front, the smallest 3 cogs are unusable from the small chainring (rub on the big-chainring).

    this increases the need for chainring to chainring shifting (less overlap of gears between chainrings).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.