General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Durability of boots, reprise ..

Started by GSV Three Minds in a Can · · Last activity · 8 posts · 241 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 March 2005
Last activity
4 March 2005
Original author
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
241
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Brasher examined my dead FMB2s (5 months, 6xx miles) and decided they
    didn't think they were defective, but they would replace them anyway,
    since they hadn't lasted very well.

    They replaced them with FMB1s instead, (probably by accident), but hey,
    that's OK, Spring is coming (slowly .. actually it's currently snowing
    like the devil outside my window, and there were 10" drifts up on
    Titterstone two days ago).

    I think the new ones are going to get Nikwaxed to hell and back,
    regardless of the effect it'll have on the looks of the Nubuck .. 'wash
    the mud off and use some conditioning spray' obviously doesn't work for
    me (must be something in the local water, or maybe the local mud).

    The soles still lack grip in the wet (wet wood, wet rock, or even just
    muddy banks), compared to competitors' Vibram units, but hey, the price
    was right. We'll see if the new ones (plus Nikwax) can at least outlast
    my Reebok trainers (although I'd be the first to admit the trainers have
    an easier life, since they don't go out in bad weather). 8>.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

  2. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    dead FMB2s (5 months, 6xx miles)

    Phew, not very good publicity for a respectable company.

    Jhimmy

  3. GSV Three Minds in a Can said:

    I think the new ones are going to get Nikwaxed to hell and back,

    Have done so with my Nubucks. Its a bit of a shame because Nubuck
    looks really smart. The maintenance regime, however, is a little
    unrealistic for something that has to take a bit of a hammering.
    My boots don't seem to have suffered unduly for the change in
    appearance.

    Chris

  4. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from
    the wonderful person Chris Gilbert <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:


    GSV Three Minds in a Can said:

    I think the new ones are going to get Nikwaxed to hell and back,

    Have done so with my Nubucks. Its a bit of a shame because Nubuck
    looks really smart. The maintenance regime, however, is a little
    unrealistic for something that has to take a bit of a hammering.
    My boots don't seem to have suffered unduly for the change in
    appearance.

    I agree .. Nubuck looks nice (ditto Suede), and maybe the 'wash the mud
    off and dry then spray with reproofer' would even work out OK if that
    was a once a month type thing .. but I generally get mud up to the top
    (where the gaiters start anyway) every trip in the winter, and washing
    that off has got to be taking the oils out of the leather too.
    Presumably this has something to do with why proper snow boots tend to
    be plastic &/or rubber covered.

    I'm not entirely convinced by the 'breathable Goretex' linings either -
    I mean the leather (in winter) is either full of oils/wax, or wetted out
    - either way, not much water vapour is going to be going through. The
    lining does definitely help with the waterproofness in miserable
    conditions, it's the 'breathable' I find a bit dubious (how does it
    breathe when the boots are caked in mud, and you are standing in 4" of
    bog?).

    I'm sure there's some good reason for sanding down the surface of
    leather to make Nubuck, but nobody has explained it to me in convincing
    terms yet. 8>.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

  5. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the
    wonderful person Jhimmy <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    dead FMB2s (5 months, 6xx miles)

    Phew, not very good publicity for a respectable company.

    My thoughts exactly, however they did replace them, for which they
    deserve credit.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

  6. GSV Three Minds in a Can said:


    I'm not entirely convinced by the 'breathable Goretex' linings either
    - I mean the leather (in winter) is either full of oils/wax, or
    wetted out - either way, not much water vapour is going to be going
    through. The lining does definitely help with the waterproofness in
    miserable conditions, it's the 'breathable' I find a bit dubious
    (how does it breathe when the boots are caked in mud, and you are
    standing in 4" of bog?).

    I doubt the goretex liners do much in a leather boot. But these days you
    have to have goretex underwear or your not using proper outdoor kit !

    My only experience of goretex lined boots was horrible. Feet went white,
    puffy and sweaty on only a moderate walk. I've avoided such things since.
    My usual boots are Scarpa Rangers; they're leather, unlined, fairly light.

    I tend to only walk three seasons, and whilst I will bog-hop if I have to,
    would rather walk on dryer ground given half a chance.

    For standing around in water/bogs its hard to beat the traditional welly.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm sure there's some good reason for sanding down the surface of
    leather to make Nubuck, but nobody has explained it to me in
    convincing terms yet. 8>.

    How about fashion ? By making them different to last year's model you will
    need to get new ones.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  7. GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not entirely convinced by the 'breathable Goretex' linings either -

    <whisper>
    mentioned in the FAQ
    </whisper>

    ;-)

    Chris

  8. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the wonderful
    person Chris Gilbert <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:

    GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not entirely convinced by the 'breathable Goretex' linings either -

    <whisper>
    mentioned in the FAQ
    </whisper>

    I'll go look then - I read it a long time ago, then added it to the
    killfile, on the basis of not needing a copy every week/month/whatever.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.