Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Down shifting FD under load impossible or Brand S to rescue?

Started by Wayne · · Last activity · 9 posts · 825 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
5 June 2007
Last activity
6 June 2007
Original author
Wayne
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
825
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My wife and I ride a Comotion Speedster with FSA 30/42/54 crank and
    Shimano triple FD and shifters. The system shifts well, but of course
    I want it to do something extra, down shift into the granny under some
    load. Currently we soft pedal and it shifts down first time - every
    time. Of course with a tandem the added rider coordination takes a
    little longer than on a single and the loss of momentum is more
    severe. Usually a little planning solves the problem and we can take
    the correct approach, but every once in a while it would bail us out
    of trouble if we could just pedal through the shift.

    Both Sheldon's and Peter White's web sites mention that after market
    chain wheels do not shift quite as well as Shimano's originals. How
    do they shift better? If we are willing to give up the 54 would a
    Shimano 30/39/52 help this problem at all? Also if we went this route
    would changing to a smaller granny put us back in the same
    situation?

    My singles are Campy Ergo or bar end shifter so I only have about
    1,200 miles of Shimano indexed front shifting experience and none with
    modern Shimano cranks.

    Comments are also welcome on other options like:
    - using a Campy left shifter
    - using a left bar end shifter
    - using a smaller gap between the large and middle ring (42/52)

    Wayne

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne said:

    My wife and I ride a Comotion Speedster with FSA 30/42/54 crank and
    Shimano triple FD and shifters. The system shifts well, but of course
    I want it to do something extra, down shift into the granny under some
    load. Currently we soft pedal and it shifts down first time - every
    time. Of course with a tandem the added rider coordination takes a
    little longer than on a single and the loss of momentum is more
    severe. Usually a little planning solves the problem and we can take
    the correct approach, but every once in a while it would bail us out
    of trouble if we could just pedal through the shift.

    Both Sheldon's and Peter White's web sites mention that after market
    chain wheels do not shift quite as well as Shimano's originals. How
    do they shift better?

    I dunno, I'm not seeing how the chainrings could make much
    difference for the downshift, upshift yes, downshift ???

    Quoted message said:

    If we are willing to give up the 54 would a
    Shimano 30/39/52 help this problem at all? Also if we went this route
    would changing to a smaller granny put us back in the same
    situation?

    If you change the 39 to a 42, you'll likely need a different
    front derailler if you want to use Shimano indexing. The
    derailler cage needs to match the middle chainring for best
    shifting, (i.e. I had a 105 derailler that was meant for a
    30-42-52 triple, I switched to a 26-39-52 and the shifting
    didn't really work right until I got an Ultegra Triple front
    which is designed for a 30-39-52 triple.

    I'd suggest

    1. Get and install a chain watcher if you don't have it already.
    Cheap insurance.

    2. Figure out whether your front derailler is meant for a 42 or
    39t middle ring. Get the one that matches.

    With my 105 brifters, an ultegra triple FD, I can generally shift
    from middle to lower under moderate pressure. If I could live
    with a 30t inner I'm sure it would all work better.

    _ Booker C. Bense

  3. Yes, using a Shimano crank with a Shimano FD and shifter will work better than using another brand of crank. It's always a good idea to let up on the pressure a bit when shifting, especially on the front where the shift takes place under chain tension.

  4. Booker C. Bense said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne said:

    My wife and I ride a Comotion Speedster with FSA 30/42/54 crank and
    Shimano triple FD and shifters. The system shifts well, but of course
    I want it to do something extra, down shift into the granny under some
    load. Currently we soft pedal and it shifts down first time - every
    time. Of course with a tandem the added rider coordination takes a
    little longer than on a single and the loss of momentum is more
    severe. Usually a little planning solves the problem and we can take
    the correct approach, but every once in a while it would bail us out
    of trouble if we could just pedal through the shift.

    Both Sheldon's and Peter White's web sites mention that after market
    chain wheels do not shift quite as well as Shimano's originals. How
    do they shift better?

    I dunno, I'm not seeing how the chainrings could make much
    difference for the downshift, upshift yes, downshift ???

    Ask David Millar, 2003 Tour de France prologue. He complained that his
    team was too cheap to fit un-ramped chainrings on his single-ring
    prologue bike, and the ramped rings made it easier for the chain to come
    unshipped, which likely cost him the win (he was second by 0.08 seconds).

    Mark J.

  5. Booker C. Bense bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Jun. said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    2. Figure out whether your front derailler is meant for a 42 or
    39t middle ring. Get the one that matches.

    I neglected to mention that I have 2006 Ultegra shifter and FD. Works
    fairly well with FSA 42 middle, may work better with standard 39 but I
    have never used one.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne said:
    Booker C. Bense bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Jun. said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    2. Figure out whether your front derailler is meant for a 42 or
    39t middle ring. Get the one that matches.

    I neglected to mention that I have 2006 Ultegra shifter and FD. Works
    fairly well with FSA 42 middle, may work better with standard 39 but I
    have never used one.

    I am reasonably sure that a 2006 Ultegra Triple front is meant to
    work with a 39T middle cog. It's likely that you have your
    derailler higher than is optimal since you need to have the
    clearance to get over the middle chainwheel. If you don't want to
    swap chainrings, switching to a 105 triple might help your
    shifting problems.

    Check out Sheldon Brown's page on derailler adjustment and see if
    your's is significantly above the 52T ring.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#front

    New shimano deraillers come with a handy transparent sticker on
    them to check this easily.

    _ Booker C. Bense

  7. Booker C. Bense bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Jun. said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne said:
    Booker C. Bense bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Jun. said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    2. Figure out whether your front derailler is meant for a 42 or
    39t middle ring. Get the one that matches.

    Quoted message said:

    I neglected to mention that I have 2006 Ultegra shifter and FD. Works
    fairly well with FSA 42 middle, may work better with standard 39 but I
    have never used one.

    I am reasonably sure that a 2006 Ultegra Triple front is meant to
    work with a 39T middle cog. It's likely that you have your
    derailler higher than is optimal since you need to have the
    clearance to get over the middle chainwheel. If you don't want to
    swap chainrings, switching to a 105 triple might help your
    shifting problems.

    Check out Sheldon Brown's page on derailler adjustment and see if
    your's is significantly above the 52T ring.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#front

    New shimano deraillers come with a handy transparent sticker on
    them to check this easily.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    I do have the FD higher than normal because I have 30/42/54 rings on
    the crank and realize the larger gap between the big and middle ring
    means it is tougher to shift from middle to granny. The FD just
    clears the middle 42 when I am in the big ring. I am considering the
    standard Ultegra 30/39/52 setup to match the rings with the FD.

    My question is what are the chances that it will down shift under load
    into the granny?

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne said:


    I do have the FD higher than normal because I have 30/42/54 rings on
    the crank and realize the larger gap between the big and middle ring
    means it is tougher to shift from middle to granny. The FD just
    clears the middle 42 when I am in the big ring. I am considering the
    standard Ultegra 30/39/52 setup to match the rings with the FD.

    My question is what are the chances that it will down shift under load
    into the granny?

    The short answer is "better than now", the long answer is that if
    you use "exactly as designed" Shimano components they are
    certainly meant to be downshifted under load. My limited
    experience with the "standard" setups is that they do this
    pretty well.

    My problem with that is that I don't particularly care for Shimano's choice of
    gears and I'm a hopeless tinkerer when it comes to bikes. In
    order to get the gears I want, I'm willing to put up with a more
    finicky shifting setup.

    On my bike with the larger gap from 39 to 26t I have to be a bit careful
    downshifting, but I can usually do it under load as long as I
    do it before getting to big sprocket on the middle chainwheel.

    _ Booker C. Bense

  9. Quoted message said:

    My wife and I ride a Comotion Speedster with FSA 30/42/54 crank and
    Shimano triple FD and shifters. The system shifts well, but of course
    I want it to do something extra, down shift into the granny under some
    load.

    Front derailers never shift well under load, because the front
    derailer has to work with the part of the chain that is transmitting
    power. The rear derailer gets to use the bottom, slack run of chain,
    so rear derailers often shift quite well under load...sometimes too
    well, because shifting under load is very stressful to the chain.

    Quoted message said:

    Currently we soft pedal and it shifts down first time - every
    time.

    Yes, this is how all experienced cyclists do it.

    It's particularly challenging on a tandem, because both riders have to
    soft pedal, or else one of the riders has to actively resist the other
    a bit.

    Quoted message said:

    Of course with a tandem the added rider coordination takes a
    little longer than on a single and the loss of momentum is more
    severe. Usually a little planning solves the problem and we can take
    the correct approach, but every once in a while it would bail us out
    of trouble if we could just pedal through the shift.

    Anticipating downshifts when climbing is an important skill, keep at
    it!

    Quoted message said:

    Both Sheldon's and Peter White's web sites mention that after market
    chain wheels do not shift quite as well as Shimano's originals. How
    do they shift better?

    Up. The pins and ramps help there.

    For downshifting, there's no benefit.

    Sheldon "Technique Matters" Brown
    +---------------------------------+
    | Is ambivalence a bad thing? |
    | Well, yes and no. |
    | -- Garrison Keillor |
    +---------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.