UK and Europe · Public discussion

Doing the old Holiday bike swop trick advice needed.

Started by Martin Wilson · · Last activity · 55 posts · 1,850 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
4 December 2004
Last activity
6 December 2004
Original author
Martin Wilson
Posts
55
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,850
Views / 30 days
17

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 55
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What with the exchange rate nearing $2.00 and some amazing prices on
    bikes being available across the pond and the occasional really cheap
    airfares. I wonder if theres a faq anywhere for how to take an old
    banger bike and bring back a shiny new one without being hit by
    customs.

    Which brand bikes are best value in the states?

    Who are the best retailers for price?

    If you are going to be cycling around before coming home which
    retailer has the greatest number of shops so that any warranty work
    before leaving the states can be done at different stores etc?

    Do you need to select your bike before hand and paint up the banger
    you take over roughly with the same brand and name as the one you are
    going to buy?

    Can you get away with a bike you gave £5 for at the local tip?
    Typically some old rubbish with steel wheels.

    Which brands lower the spec of their american bikes?

    Plus of course what would be a good place to visit with regard great
    scenary with fairly short travel distances and safety (low crime rate)
    in the states?

    Do cheap hotels/motels mind you taking the bike into your room (not
    multistory accomendation)?

    Anyone done this before and have a story to tell?

  2. "Martin Wilson" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    What with the exchange rate nearing $2.00 and some amazing prices on
    bikes being available across the pond and the occasional really cheap
    airfares. I wonder if theres a faq anywhere for how to take an old
    banger bike and bring back a shiny new one without being hit by
    customs.

    Ride the shiny new bike around for a while so that it's obviously used?

    Quoted message said:


    Which brand bikes are best value in the states?

    Who are the best retailers for price?

    REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.) are not necessarily the cheapest, but have
    a dividend plan that could be useful if you're planning on coming over here
    more than once. They sell an incredibly wide range of outdoor equipment and
    clothing. www.rei.com

    Quoted message said:


    If you are going to be cycling around before coming home which
    retailer has the greatest number of shops so that any warranty work
    before leaving the states can be done at different stores etc?

    Again REI may not have the "most" shops, but they do have a large number of
    shops, and I would expect their repair staff to be at least as competent as
    any chain of sports shops, and probably more competent than most chain store
    bike repair people.

    Quoted message said:


    Do you need to select your bike before hand and paint up the banger
    you take over roughly with the same brand and name as the one you are
    going to buy?

    Can you get away with a bike you gave £5 for at the local tip?

    Quoted message said:

    Typically some old rubbish with steel wheels.

    Do you really think your customs people are that gullible?

    Quoted message said:


    Which brands lower the spec of their american bikes?

    Plus of course what would be a good place to visit with regard great
    scenary with fairly short travel distances and safety (low crime rate)
    in the states?

    Most of the UK seems to think that Colorado is an excellent place to visit,
    although it's a bit cold for cycling at the moment. What time of year are
    you planning on being here, and what do you mean by short travel distances?

    Quoted message said:


    Do cheap hotels/motels mind you taking the bike into your room (not
    multistory accomendation)?

    IME, no.
    --
    mark

    HTH,


  3. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Can you get away with a bike you gave £5 for at the local tip?

    Quoted message said:

    Typically some old rubbish with steel wheels.

    Do you really think your customs people are that gullible?

    Quoted message said:

    I have absolutely no idea how gullible customs are. I suppose I'm
    thinking of the paperwork. Do they just write down the brand and model
    on the paperwork or do they take down other details like a rough
    description of gears or even weight. Maybe they just write down '1
    bicycle'.

    Quoted message said:

    Most of the UK seems to think that Colorado is an excellent place to visit,
    although it's a bit cold for cycling at the moment. What time of year are
    you planning on being here, and what do you mean by short travel distances?

    Quoted message said:

    I'm basically thinking of a holiday without any hiring of cars just
    purely travelling by bike to get a taste of america (which I've never
    been too before). I'm not into theme parks, I'm more interested in
    great scenary and real life america. I suppose a maximum loop of about
    300 miles from an airport. Thats the actual length of journey not
    distance in a straight line away from the airport. The holiday would
    be for about 1 week to 10 days (probably 1 week though).

    The holiday would basically consist of;

    1) Arriving with naff bike;

    2) Buying decent bike and disposing of naff one.

    3) Touring for one week.

    Not sure of when but thinking of somewhere roughly between febuary and
    May.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Do cheap hotels/motels mind you taking the bike into your room (not
    multistory accomendation)?

    IME, no.

    Excellent.

  4. In message <[email hidden]>, Martin Wilson
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Can you get away with a bike you gave £5 for at the local tip?

    Quoted message said:

    Typically some old rubbish with steel wheels.

    Do you really think your customs people are that gullible?

    Quoted message said:

    I have absolutely no idea how gullible customs are. I suppose I'm
    thinking of the paperwork. Do they just write down the brand and model
    on the paperwork or do they take down other details like a rough
    description of gears or even weight. Maybe they just write down '1
    bicycle'.

    Do C&E take any note at all if you leave the country on holiday with a
    bike?

    I do know that C&E are pretty wise to people going abroad to buy stuff
    and bring it back in.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  5. If you evade paying tax the Health Service, schools, etc. will have just
    slightly less money to patch you up when you are hit by a car, to educate
    your children, and so on. Wouldn't it be better to pay the tax? I guess you
    don't try to evade paying VAT on goods you buy here. Is there really a
    difference if you are buying abroad?

    Mark Burch

    "Martin Wilson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What with the exchange rate nearing $2.00 and some amazing prices on
    bikes being available across the pond and the occasional really cheap
    airfares. I wonder if theres a faq anywhere for how to take an old
    banger bike and bring back a shiny new one without being hit by
    customs.

    Which brand bikes are best value in the states?

    Who are the best retailers for price?

    If you are going to be cycling around before coming home which
    retailer has the greatest number of shops so that any warranty work
    before leaving the states can be done at different stores etc?

    Do you need to select your bike before hand and paint up the banger
    you take over roughly with the same brand and name as the one you are
    going to buy?

    Can you get away with a bike you gave £5 for at the local tip?
    Typically some old rubbish with steel wheels.

    Which brands lower the spec of their american bikes?

    Plus of course what would be a good place to visit with regard great
    scenary with fairly short travel distances and safety (low crime rate)
    in the states?

    Do cheap hotels/motels mind you taking the bike into your room (not
    multistory accomendation)?

    Anyone done this before and have a story to tell?

  6. Martin Wilson said:


    I have absolutely no idea how gullible customs are. I suppose I'm
    thinking of the paperwork. Do they just write down the brand and model
    on the paperwork or do they take down other details like a rough
    description of gears or even weight. Maybe they just write down '1
    bicycle'.

    How gullible are you? They do their job day in day out. You are an
    amateur smuggler. How good do you think you are?

    FWIW its nothing to do with the paperwork. Its all to do with you
    proving you the bike you are bringing in was bought in the EU or else
    they had withold it, confiscate it or charge you a penal rate of tax.
    Customs is one of the few places where you are guilty until you prove
    yourself innocent.

    They ought to do a customs version of that speed camera excuses list.
    How many times do you think they've seen the "ride it and make it look a
    bit used" subterfuge?

    Tony

    (who has brought many bikes back through the red channel and had some
    interesting chats with the customs officers while doing so)

  7. Martin Wilson said:

    What with the exchange rate nearing $2.00 and some amazing prices on
    bikes being available across the pond and the occasional really cheap
    airfares. I wonder if theres a faq anywhere for how to take an old
    banger bike and bring back a shiny new one without being hit by
    customs.

    They don't fall for that one if they stop you and its pretty hard to
    hide a bike at the bottom of a suitcase.

    Quoted message said:

    Which brand bikes are best value in the states?

    Who are the best retailers for price?

    If you are going to be cycling around before coming home which
    retailer has the greatest number of shops so that any warranty work
    before leaving the states can be done at different stores etc?

    My favourite is Supergo which has large shops in the LA/Orange County
    region and good prices. Performance is a nationwide chain but much less
    choice and a lot of own brand stuff. I've also had good results by
    contacting the local bike shop for a particular bike I've wanted before
    going out there and getting them to get the size, color and any upgrades
    I wanted in ready for me to collect.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you need to select your bike before hand and paint up the banger
    you take over roughly with the same brand and name as the one you are
    going to buy?

    Can you get away with a bike you gave £5 for at the local tip?
    Typically some old rubbish with steel wheels.

    Who's going to notice what you take out there? Please Mr Customs
    Officer I want you to record my old scrap heap bike so I can bring it back?

    Quoted message said:

    Which brands lower the spec of their american bikes?

    Lots of them. Many are not only different finishing kits, some are
    different bikes altogether under the same name so do your research and
    know what you are buying.

    Quoted message said:

    Plus of course what would be a good place to visit with regard great
    scenary with fairly short travel distances and safety (low crime rate)
    in the states?

    Go for somewhere like Vermont where Sales tax is zero otherwise the shop
    will add 5-10% to the price for local taxes. Vermont is nice cycling
    country but not at this time of year.

    Quoted message said:

    Do cheap hotels/motels mind you taking the bike into your room (not
    multistory accomendation)?

    Anyone done this before and have a story to tell?

    Quite often but always through the red channel and I've been both
    impressed by their knowledge and access to information on bikes and
    ability to check the invoice value is about right and amused by their
    tales of people's amateur attempts to smuggle bikes in. As one said
    "People seem to forget we do this job every day and have seen more
    tricks than they can imagine"

    Even so if you know what you are buying you can get some really goood
    bargains out there even after paying tax and duty (c 35% in total).
    Just make sure you are insured for it getting damaged by baggage handling.

  8. Tony Raven said:

    How gullible are you? They do their job day in day out. You are an
    amateur smuggler. How good do you think you are?

    Well, they've got you fooled anyway.

    James
    --
    If I have seen further than others, it is
    by treading on the toes of giants.
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/

  9. in message <[email hidden]>, Martin Wilson

    (') said:

    What with the exchange rate nearing $2.00 and some amazing prices on
    bikes being available across the pond and the occasional really cheap
    airfares. I wonder if theres a faq anywhere for how to take an old
    banger bike and bring back a shiny new one without being hit by
    customs.

    Well, the first bit of advice is, if planning a customs fraud, don't use
    your real name when discussing it in a public forum.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    -- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

  10. Martin Wilson said:

    What with the exchange rate nearing $2.00 and some amazing prices on
    bikes being available across the pond and the occasional really cheap
    airfares. I wonder if theres a faq anywhere for how to take an old
    banger bike and bring back a shiny new one without being hit by
    customs.

    I knew someone who was caught trying to smuggle a US purchased laptop into
    the UK. It was not a pleasant experience and it cost him a lot of money.
    If you consider that a laptop can go into hand luggage and is therefore
    relatively inconspicuous a smuggled bike is much more likely to be spotted.

    Also, I would think that a bike is of interest to Customs and Excise
    because of the excellent opportunity to hide other things in the tubes. I
    wonder how many bikes C&E dismantle?

    --
    Michael MacClancy

  11. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Who's going to notice what you take out there? Please Mr Customs Officer
    I want you to record my old scrap heap bike so I can bring it back?

    So true. On the other hand, who is going to notice that an American coming
    in with their new bike for a holiday, is not taking it with them when they
    go back?

    Rich

  12. Michael MacClancy said:

    Also, I would think that a bike is of interest to Customs and Excise
    because of the excellent opportunity to hide other things in the tubes. I
    wonder how many bikes C&E dismantle?

    Boggle.

    Our bikes have never been dismantled, and I've never heard of anyone
    else getting this treatment either.

    James
    --
    If I have seen further than others, it is
    by treading on the toes of giants.
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/

  13. On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 09:49:51 +0000, Tony Raven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    How gullible are you? They do their job day in day out. You are an
    amateur smuggler. How good do you think you are?

    That's right, Customs and Excise staff do their job day in and day
    out. And day in and day out thousands more smugglers get past them
    than get caught.

    Quoted message said:

    FWIW its nothing to do with the paperwork. Its all to do with you
    proving you the bike you are bringing in was bought in the EU or else
    they had withold it, confiscate it or charge you a penal rate of tax.
    Customs is one of the few places where you are guilty until you prove
    yourself innocent.

    This is not the issue. If you get stopped, and they twig the bike then
    yes you are going to have to pay the duty. The important point is that
    the odds of being stopped are very low, as long as you apply a little
    forethought and common sense.

    Quoted message said:

    They ought to do a customs version of that speed camera excuses list.
    How many times do you think they've seen the "ride it and make it look a
    bit used" subterfuge?

    Tony

    (who has brought many bikes back through the red channel and had some
    interesting chats with the customs officers while doing so)

    I'm sure you've had some interesting chats with them. I bet they just
    /love/ crowing about the times they put one over on someone trying to
    save a few quid.

    I'll also bet though they didn't remind you of the fact that at that
    very instant there were almost certainly people cheerfully marching
    through the green channel with suitcases full of contraband.

    I've never been stopped when taking my bike through customs. When I've
    travelled with others who have a bike with them, they haven't been
    stopped either. I wonder what proportion of travellers with wheels get
    pulled for an inspection?

    Do some people get caught out trying to get a bike through without
    having their wallet dipped? Undoubtedly. Do more get away with it than
    get caught? I know what I think.

    --

    Call me "Bob"

    "More oneness, less categories,
    Open hearts, no strategies"

    Email address is spam trapped, to reply directly remove the beverage.

  14. Tony Raven said:

    Martin Wilson wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have absolutely no idea how gullible customs are. I suppose I'm
    thinking of the paperwork. Do they just write down the brand and model
    on the paperwork or do they take down other details like a rough
    description of gears or even weight. Maybe they just write down '1
    bicycle'.

    Quoted message said:

    How gullible are you? They do their job day in day out. You are an
    amateur smuggler. How good do you think you are?

    Exactly. Considering the cost of getting to the States and back, the
    best thing to do would be to use a reputable firm of professional
    smugglers and pay their fee.

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  15. Mark Burch said:

    If you evade paying tax the Health Service, schools, etc. will have just
    slightly less money to patch you up when you are hit by a car, to educate
    your children, and so on. Wouldn't it be better to pay the tax? I guess you
    don't try to evade paying VAT on goods you buy here. Is there really a
    difference if you are buying abroad?

    ITYM there will be a bit less to fund the increase (650,000 extra
    employees under this lot at the last count) in the civil service.

  16. James Annan said:
    Michael MacClancy said:

    Also, I would think that a bike is of interest to Customs and Excise
    because of the excellent opportunity to hide other things in the tubes. I
    wonder how many bikes C&E dismantle?

    Boggle.

    What does this mean?

    Quoted message said:


    Our bikes have never been dismantled, and I've never heard of anyone
    else getting this treatment either.

    I'd never heard of anyone getting done for smuggling a laptop either. Just
    because one hasn't heard of it happening it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

    --
    Michael MacClancy

  17. James Annan said:
    Tony Raven said:

    How gullible are you? They do their job day in day out. You are an
    amateur smuggler. How good do you think you are?

    Quoted message said:

    Well, they've got you fooled anyway.

    Having been with a friend while they put him through the works for 3
    hours I suspect not.

    Tony

  18. Michael MacClancy said:
    Quoted message said:

    Boggle.

    What does this mean?

    Bollocks.

    --

    Call me "Bob"

    "More oneness, less categories,
    Open hearts, no strategies"

    Email address is spam trapped, to reply directly remove the beverage.

  19. Richard Goodman said:

    "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Who's going to notice what you take out there? Please Mr Customs Officer
    I want you to record my old scrap heap bike so I can bring it back?

    So true. On the other hand, who is going to notice that an American coming
    in with their new bike for a holiday, is not taking it with them when they
    go back?

    Rich

    If you have an American passport which is just on a tourist basis I'm
    sure you will be fine. However I suspect the OP does not.

    I got given a fair grilling on the Canadian border bringing a bike I had
    bought in Seattle into Canada to catch a flight home from Vancouver. I
    had a British passport but I still ended up paying tax and duty which I
    had to reclaim when I submitted the documents to show I had flown it out
    to the UK. The reason was even though I could prove I was on holiday, I
    could not persuade them I was not bringing it through for a Canadian friend.

    Tony

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Burch said:

    Is there really a
    difference if you are buying abroad?

    At a guess, the same difference that motivates most criminal behaviour:
    "What are my chances of getting away with this?"

    --
    Nick Kew

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.