Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Does your mind wander this time of year ?

Started by geoinmillbrook · · Last activity · 12 posts · 1,009 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
19 February 2008
Last activity
20 February 2008
Original author
geoinmillbrook
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,009
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So, what the heck ? I just spent a fantastic weekend cross country skiing with friends and family (about 10 of us) in a house in the Adirondack mountains. There was about 4 feet of snow on the ground with drifts and piles 10 feet high. We were at a place that has about 70 km of groomed trails, with lots of challenging off trail skiing (we like to bushwhack with our back country stuff too). The conditions could not have been better.
    My mind can't stop from wandering to spring though.... (our backyard here is one place ) -- anyone else in the far northern hemisphere "got the fever" ? PG-13 responses only please 🙂 Got any nice pics to share for those of us that need a fix of what the world used to be like before winter ? I tried to find some good biking ones, but haven't really taken many except for pedalling on the boardwalk at the beach with the kids ...

    [img]i5.photobucket.comDCP 0595.jpg[/img]
    [img]i5.photobucket.comDCP 0597.jpg[/img]

    [img]i5.photobucket.comDCP 0596.jpg[/img]

    [img]i5.photobucket.comDCP 0602.jpg[/img][img]i5.photobucket.comDCP 0587.jpg[/img]

  2. Yeah I can't wait, this ones been dragging on long enough. It's probably because previous winters have been milder, and this one is a normal(of old) one.

  3. where were you in the adirondacks? Yeah, i hate winter, i always get really down, and want to go out real bad, especially on the bike. I miss riding on those side roads for miles and hardly seeing another person and only hearing my bike.

  4. velo711 said:

    Yeah I can't wait, this ones been dragging on long enough. It's probably because previous winters have been milder, and this one is a normal(of old) one.

    I thought you guys were having a mild winter in the northeast? Jan and Feb almost 3 C warmer than normal... 😕

  5. No, we have been minus temperatures(celsius) for a month now. The poor sods
    on the east coast have had sixteen major snow storms this winter.

  6. Winter is starting to get me down. The snow arrived in Toronto in mid-November, and except for a brief spell in January when it all melted, it's still here at nearly the end of February.

    If it doesn't go well, we could still have snow at the end of March. Ugggh.

    I think the February snowfall set a new record this year.

  7. Yojimbo_ said:

    Winter is starting to get me down. The snow arrived in Toronto in mid-November, and except for a brief spell in January when it all melted, it's still here at nearly the end of February.

    If it doesn't go well, we could still have snow at the end of March. Ugggh.

    I think the February snowfall set a new record this year.

    A bit weird that a hundred miles south in upstate NY (not in the snow belt), the snowfall is below normal for Feb, and well below normal for Jan!

  8. TheDarkLord said:

    A bit weird that a hundred miles south in upstate NY (not in the snow belt), the snowfall is below normal for Feb, and well below normal for Jan!

    Was in the Adirondack's -- North Creek , Garnet Hill Ski Area about 2 hrs north of Albany -- just north west of Lake George (next to Gore Mtn). It was awesome. The snow was perfect. It got up to 34 degrees and started to rain just as we were leaving, and the website now says they have "loose granular snow" , which is code for slush. 🙂 I hope to go back before the season is over if the weather permits.

    It is very strange yes -- where I live (halfway between Albany and NYC) we have no snow left on the ground and they had 4 feet up there.

  9. Cycler6n said:

    where were you in the adirondacks? Yeah, i hate winter, i always get really down, and want to go out real bad, especially on the bike. I miss riding on those side roads for miles and hardly seeing another person and only hearing my bike.


    Hey Cycler6n,

    See other post for Adirondacks location 🙂

    Also

    For not too much money you can get yourself a cross bike, put some fenders on it and ride in winter (or even just get some cross wheels and tires, and some of the snap on fenders they sell for your regular road bike). Just dress like you would to cross country ski. We have lots of country roads around us that even with a little snow on them the cross tires do suprisingly well (frozen dirt roads too, or even with a little mud). It is really fun running down a frozen dirt road at 25 mph on a cross bike. It is an awesome retreat from the winter doldrums too. Just being out in the sun for an hour makes a HUGE difference in my mood, (gets some endorphins going) and I could give hoot if I have to spend some money on a new chain once a year because of salt on the roads. I very highly recommend it !

    Oh yeah, check this out too:

    icebike.comicebike.com

    A little extreme for me , but have have used some of the tips for winter riding.

    [img]i5.photobucket.comPC220311.jpg[/img]

  10. ah right, I remeber that now, forgot about that post :P, I always repeat my questions. I've thought of getting a cross bike, but there but there so much money. where did you get your fenders from? if I haven't already asked that🙄

  11. Cycler6n said:

    ah right, I remeber that now, forgot about that post :P, I always repeat my questions. I've thought of getting a cross bike, but there but there so much money. where did you get your fenders from? if I haven't already asked that🙄


    Ebay mostly , a couple things from local LBS

    Built the whole bike from parts for under $1000 USD .. didn't cheap out either - mostly Ultegra. Can very often find the whole bike used for less.

  12. geoinmillbrook said:

    Ebay mostly , a couple things from local LBS

    Built the whole bike from parts for under $1000 USD .. didn't cheap out either - mostly Ultegra. Can very often find the whole bike used for less.

    thats pretty expensive, but I'd get a lot of use out of it. does the cold air take a hit on your lungs?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.