Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Does anyone still use shorts w/ natural chamois?

Started by Matt O'Toole · · Last activity · 14 posts · 1,418 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 March 2004
Last activity
4 April 2004
Original author
Matt O'Toole
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,418
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The subject says it all. My favorite shorts are an old pair
    of Hind knickers, which have what looks like synthetic
    chamois -- no real padding, just the chamois material. None
    of my other bottoms are as comfortable, especially for long
    rides. I have others that are OK, but nothing like these
    Hinds. However, nobody seems to be making anything like them
    anymore. The closest are shorts with real chamois. Does
    anyone else still use these? How do they compare with other
    stuff available today, for comfort, and maintenance?

    Matt O.

  2. Hello Matt,

    I just bought some Sugoi Technifine Ultimate Stretch shorts
    after reading alot of good reports about them. I have to say
    that I was surprised that the chamois wasn't overly padded
    but needless to say that they are very very comfortable and
    the wicking away of sweat is excellent.

    Give them a go I....you won't be disappointed.

    Cheers

    Matt O'Toole said:


    The subject says it all. My favorite shorts are an old
    pair of Hind knickers, which have what looks like
    synthetic chamois -- no real padding, just the chamois
    material. None of my other bottoms are as comfortable,
    especially for long rides. I have others that are OK, but
    nothing like these Hinds. However, nobody seems to be
    making anything like them anymore. The closest are shorts
    with real chamois. Does anyone else still use these? How
    do they compare with other stuff available today, for
    comfort, and maintenance?

    Matt O.

  3. Didn't the old timers suffering from saddle sores stick a
    steak between them and the leather chamois? And they had a
    piece of cabbage under their hat to keep them cool. Dinner
    after the race was often steak and cabbage. Gary Jacobson
    Rosendale, NY

    "Matt O'Toole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The subject says it all. My favorite shorts are an old
    pair of Hind


    knickers,

    Quoted message said:

    which have what looks like synthetic chamois -- no real
    padding, just the chamois material. None of my other
    bottoms are as comfortable, especially


    for

    Quoted message said:

    long rides. I have others that are OK, but nothing like
    these Hinds.


    However,

    Quoted message said:

    nobody seems to be making anything like them anymore. The
    closest are


    shorts

    Quoted message said:

    with real chamois. Does anyone else still use these? How
    do they compare


    with

    Quoted message said:

    other stuff available today, for comfort, and maintenance?

    Matt O.

  4. Quoted message said:

    The subject says it all. My favorite shorts are an old
    pair of Hind


    knickers,

    Quoted message said:

    which have what looks like synthetic chamois -- no real
    padding, just the chamois material. None of my other
    bottoms are as comfortable, especially


    for

    Quoted message said:

    long rides. I have others that are OK, but nothing like
    these Hinds.


    However,

    Quoted message said:

    nobody seems to be making anything like them anymore. The
    closest are


    shorts

    Quoted message said:

    with real chamois. Does anyone else still use these? How
    do they compare


    with

    Quoted message said:

    other stuff available today, for comfort, and maintenance?

    Matt: Just as with saddles, the quantity of padding isn't
    important, it's the quality. And, just as with saddles, some
    of the most-comfortable shorts have very little padding.

    Real leather chamois? The type that, if you didn't rub oils
    into them, would dry out like a taco? And even though
    washed religiously, would still cause nasty boils (for
    those who've never experienced a nasty boil on the tail
    end, it's like a giant zit that you're sitting on)? Don't
    go there. Ever! I grew up with those things during my
    racing days, and they were as dreadful as any horror
    stories anybody can conjure up.

    You want even more evidence of the superiority of a
    synthetic chamois? How about this- even in the super-
    contrarian world of usenet, in which people will defend
    anything, nobody's chiming in that they're wonderful. Could
    be a usenet first! (However, now that I've supplied the
    bait, I expect someone to step up to the plate very shortly)

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

  5. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    The subject says it all. My favorite shorts are an old
    pair of Hind


    knickers,

    Quoted message said:

    which have what looks like synthetic chamois -- no real
    padding, just the chamois material. None of my other
    bottoms are as comfortable, especially


    for

    Quoted message said:

    long rides. I have others that are OK, but nothing like
    these Hinds.


    However,

    Quoted message said:

    nobody seems to be making anything like them anymore. The
    closest are


    shorts

    Quoted message said:

    with real chamois. Does anyone else still use these? How
    do they compare


    with

    Quoted message said:

    other stuff available today, for comfort, and
    maintenance?

    Matt: Just as with saddles, the quantity of padding
    isn't important, it's the quality. And, just as with
    saddles, some of the most-comfortable shorts have very
    little padding.

    Real leather chamois? The type that, if you didn't rub oils
    into them, would dry out like a taco? And even though
    washed religiously, would still cause nasty boils (for
    those who've never experienced a nasty boil on the tail
    end, it's like a giant zit that you're sitting on)? Don't
    go there. Ever! I grew up with those things during my
    racing days, and they were as dreadful as any horror
    stories anybody can conjure up.

    You want even more evidence of the superiority of a
    synthetic chamois? How about this- even in the super-
    contrarian world of usenet, in which people will defend
    anything, nobody's chiming in that they're wonderful.
    Could be a usenet first! (However, now that I've
    supplied the bait, I expect someone to step up to the
    plate very shortly)

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

    Mike -

    Yup, it's batter up.

    I'd taken two years off from riding for a few reasons. None
    of them good. Anyway, I've still got some field-sensor pearl
    isumi shorts with what is probably a synthetic chamois if
    there is such a thing. The shorts cost about $70. I'd like
    to find something as comfortable. I've tried a few brands
    without much success. It seems the less padding the better.

    Anyone care to recommend a similar short ? Thanks.

    Phil

  6. Quoted message said:

    Yup, it's batter up.

    I'd taken two years off from riding for a few reasons.
    None of them good. Anyway, I've still got some field-
    sensor pearl isumi shorts with what is probably a
    synthetic chamois if there is such a thing. The shorts
    cost about $70. I'd like to find something as comfortable.
    I've tried a few brands without much success. It seems the
    less padding the better.

    Anyone care to recommend a similar short ? Thanks.

    Phil

    Phil: Nope, you didn't understand the rules of the game. I
    was looking for somebody to defend the virtues of real
    leather chamois shorts, and your Pearl Izumi Field-Sensors
    were definitely synthetic.

    Have you tried to newer Pearl Izumi shorts? I've also had
    good luck with the relatively-basic TREK "Criterium" shorts
    (about $50).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

  7. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yup, it's batter up.

    I'd taken two years off from riding for a few reasons.
    None of them good. Anyway, I've still got some field-
    sensor pearl isumi shorts with what is probably a
    synthetic chamois if there is such a thing. The shorts
    cost about $70. I'd like to find something as
    comfortable. I've tried a few brands without much
    success. It seems the less padding the better.

    Anyone care to recommend a similar short ? Thanks.

    Phil

    Phil: Nope, you didn't understand the rules of the game. I
    was looking for somebody to defend the virtues of real
    leather chamois shorts, and your Pearl Izumi Field-Sensors
    were definitely synthetic.

    Have you tried to newer Pearl Izumi shorts? I've also had
    good luck with the relatively-basic TREK "Criterium" shorts
    (about $50).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

    Ah, sorry about that. But I can still play!

    I've got one sample pair of Trek Evolution shorts with
    what's got to be a real chamois. They are probably quite
    old. And if I've just done the laundry and have my pick of
    clean shorts I sometimes favor them - only with chamois
    butter - same with the synthetic pearls.

    I'll have a look at the pairs you'd mention. Thanks

    Phil

  8. "Phil B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    The subject says it all. My favorite shorts are an old
    pair of Hind


    knickers,

    Quoted message said:

    which have what looks like synthetic chamois -- no real
    padding, just


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    chamois material. None of my other bottoms are as
    comfortable,


    especially

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for

    Quoted message said:

    long rides. I have others that are OK, but nothing like
    these Hinds.


    However,

    Quoted message said:

    nobody seems to be making anything like them anymore.
    The closest are


    shorts

    Quoted message said:

    with real chamois. Does anyone else still use these?
    How do they


    compare

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    with

    Quoted message said:

    other stuff available today, for comfort, and
    maintenance?

    Matt: Just as with saddles, the quantity of padding isn't
    important,


    it's

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the quality. And, just as with saddles, some of the most-
    comfortable shorts have very little padding.

    Real leather chamois? The type that, if you didn't rub
    oils into them, would dry out like a taco? And even
    though washed religiously, would


    still

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    cause nasty boils (for those who've never experienced a
    nasty boil on the tail end, it's like a giant zit that
    you're sitting on)? Don't go there. Ever! I grew up with
    those things during my racing days, and they were


    as

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    dreadful as any horror stories anybody can conjure up.

    You want even more evidence of the superiority of a
    synthetic chamois?


    How

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    about this- even in the super-contrarian world of usenet,
    in which people will defend anything, nobody's chiming in
    that they're wonderful. Could


    be

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a usenet first! (However, now that I've supplied the
    bait, I expect


    someone

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to step up to the plate very shortly)

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

    Mike -

    Yup, it's batter up.

    I'd taken two years off from riding for a few reasons.
    None of them good. Anyway, I've still got some field-
    sensor pearl isumi shorts with what is probably a
    synthetic chamois if there is such a thing. The shorts
    cost about $70. I'd like to find something as comfortable.
    I've tried a few brands without much success. It seems the
    less padding the better.

    Anyone care to recommend a similar short ? Thanks.

    Phil

    Try Boure's 1100 short or 1102 bib short. Pretty thin, but
    comfortable pad,
    IME.http://www.boure.com

    Cal

  9. Mike wrote

    Quoted message said:

    You want even more evidence of the superiority of a
    synthetic chamois? How about this- even in the super-
    contrarian world of usenet, in which people will defend
    anything, nobody's chiming in that they're wonderful.
    Could be a usenet first! (However, now that I've supplied
    the bait, I expect someone to step up to the plate very
    shortly)

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

    Irresistable.

    I've known Mr. Kucharik since I was a kid. That's going on
    30 some years. About once a year or so I go and get a new
    pair of shorts from him. Nowadays I have to ask to have the
    real chamois ones made up, but he still does it. I also use
    his chamois cream - smells good!

    Love 'em. Would ride in anything else.

    Tried synthetic. Didn't like it.

    But then, I'm still riding in my '70s Lambertini jerseys.

    I do have them new-fangled brake/shifter setups, though, so
    I can't be a retrogrouch, right?

    But I don't call em "brifteurs".

    Regards,

    Tom

  10. Quoted message said:

    Irresistable.

    I've known Mr. Kucharik since I was a kid. That's going on
    30 some years. About once a year or so I go and get a new
    pair of shorts from him. Nowadays I have to ask to have
    the real chamois ones made up, but he still does it. I
    also use his chamois cream - smells good!

    Love 'em. Would ride in anything else.

    Tried synthetic. Didn't like it.

    OK, we'll take this one step further. Real chamois is a good
    start. But are the shorts WOOL???

    (Many don't realize that Kucharik was one of the first
    vendors to offer non-wool cycling shorts, out of a nylon
    material called "Helenca" if I recall correctly.)

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

    "Tom" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Mike wrote

    Quoted message said:

    You want even more evidence of the superiority of a
    synthetic chamois?


    How

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    about this- even in the super-contrarian world of
    usenet, in which


    people

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    will defend anything, nobody's chiming in that they're
    wonderful. Could


    be

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a usenet first! (However, now that I've supplied the
    bait, I expect


    someone

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to step up to the plate very shortly)

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

    Irresistable.

    I've known Mr. Kucharik since I was a kid. That's going on
    30 some years. About once a year or so I go and get a new
    pair of shorts from him. Nowadays I have to ask to have
    the real chamois ones made up, but he still does it. I
    also use his chamois cream - smells good!

    Love 'em. Would ride in anything else.

    Tried synthetic. Didn't like it.

    But then, I'm still riding in my '70s Lambertini jerseys.

    I do have them new-fangled brake/shifter setups, though,
    so I can't be a retrogrouch, right?

    But I don't call em "brifteurs".

    Regards,

    Tom

  11. "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<IDDac.44636

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Love 'em. Would ride in anything else.


    I should have typed "wouldn't", but had a senior moment....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Tried synthetic. Didn't like it.

    OK, we'll take this one step further. Real chamois is a
    good start. But are the shorts WOOL???

    Nah, gave those up quite some time ago. I find that holes in
    the nylon/spandex shorts are so much easier to fix with a
    hot melt glue gun than the woolen shorts were....

    I like the wool tights, though.

    Regards,

    Tom

  12. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Matt O'Toole
    The subject says it all. My favorite shorts are an old pair
    of Hind knickers, which have what looks like synthetic
    chamois -- no real padding, just the chamois material. None
    of my other bottoms are as comfortable, especially for long
    rides. I have others that are OK, but nothing like these
    Hinds. However, nobody seems to be making anything like them
    anymore. The closest are shorts with real chamois. Does
    anyone else still use these? How do they compare with other
    stuff available today, for comfort, and maintenance?

    Matt O.

    Nalini is the synthetic chamios I use and love. It is not very thick or well padded but, the most comfortable thing I have ever used. It is much more comfortable that the big padded "cloth" and gel short out there.

    Eric St. Mary

  13. Quoted message said:

    I find that holes in the nylon/spandex shorts are so much
    easier to fix with a hot melt glue gun than the woolen
    shorts were....

    Please describe your technique.

    I've never repaired shorts, and I have a pair in need

    TIA

  14. Jeff said:
    Quoted message said:

    I find that holes in the nylon/spandex shorts are so much
    easier to fix with a hot melt glue gun than the woolen
    shorts were....

    Please describe your technique.

    I've never repaired shorts, and I have a pair in need

    TIA


    Jeff -

    There is no technique, per se.

    I lay the shorts over something that the glue won't stick
    to, like a plastic cutting board. Then, with the hot melt
    glue gun, I put a dab of glue over the hole and quickly
    smash it down with something the gue won't stick to. I use
    my wetted thumb, but sometimes it burns a little bit ;^).

    Mind you, I'm not touting this as the best method. You
    might find an iron-on patch at the fabric store that would
    do better, and there might be fabric glues that would
    work, too.

    When you need to find an easy way to do something, ask a
    lazy man. I fit the bill....

    Regards,

    Tom

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.