General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Doctoring Up TJ's V8 Clone?

Started by J. Eric Durbin · · Last activity · 16 posts · 737 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 February 2006
Last activity
21 February 2006
Original author
J. Eric Durbin
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
737
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.

    Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

  2. J. Eric Durbin said:

    I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.

    Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    Depends on how "unhealthy" you consider sugar. It'll cut the vinegary
    taste.

  3. J. Eric Durbin said:

    I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.

    Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    Salt won't counteract the vinegar taste anyway. You might want to
    look and see how much salt is in there already if you're worried
    about salt.

    My suggestion is to add vodka and celery stick.

    -sw

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    J. Eric Durbin said:

    I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.

    Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    stir in a little baking soda to neutralize the acid. only the tiniest
    bit. Too much and it'll be kind of ashy tasting,
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  5. Steve Wertz said:
    J. Eric Durbin said:

    I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.

    Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    Salt won't counteract the vinegar taste anyway. You might want to
    look and see how much salt is in there already if you're worried
    about salt.

    My suggestion is to add vodka and celery stick.

    That thought had occurred to me.

  6. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    J. Eric Durbin said:

    I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.

    Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    stir in a little baking soda to neutralize the acid. only the tiniest
    bit. Too much and it'll be kind of ashy tasting,

    That's a new one on me. I would never have though of baking soda, I'll
    give a try as well as Salgud's suggestion of a bit of sugar.

    Hmm, I wonder if bicarbonate of soda would work? I could drop an Alka
    Seltzer in there and kill two birds, less vinegar taste and no
    headache if it's a bloody Mary.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    J. Eric Durbin said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    J. Eric Durbin said:

    I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.

    Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

    stir in a little baking soda to neutralize the acid. only the tiniest
    bit. Too much and it'll be kind of ashy tasting,

    That's a new one on me. I would never have though of baking soda, I'll
    give a try as well as Salgud's suggestion of a bit of sugar.

    Hmm, I wonder if bicarbonate of soda would work? I could drop an Alka
    Seltzer in there and kill two birds, less vinegar taste and no
    headache if it's a bloody Mary.

    The sugar will cover the taste of the vinegar; the soda will neutralize
    the acid without changing the taste other than it will be less acidic.
    I do it all the time with spaghetti sauce. It's one way (others often
    recommend sauteeing carrots) to reduce the acidity without making the
    sauce sweet tasting. Learned it here.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  8. Melba's Jammin said:

    It's one way (others often
    recommend sauteeing carrots) to reduce the acidity without making the
    sauce sweet tasting. Learned it here.

    I absolutely HATE spaghetti sauce that has any amout of carrot in it,
    because it's way too sweet.
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

  9. sf sfpipeline_at_gmail.com said:

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:54:43 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's one way (others often
    recommend sauteeing carrots) to reduce the acidity without making the
    sauce sweet tasting. Learned it here.

    Quoted message said:

    I absolutely HATE spaghetti sauce that has any amout of carrot in it,
    because it's way too sweet.

    Yes, a better plan is to slice up the carrots and add them
    to the boiling pasta water a couple minutes before the pasta
    is done.

    I also can't imagine a spaghetti sauce being too acidic
    unless you accidentally added to much vinegar to it.

    Steve

  10. Steve Pope said:


    I also can't imagine a spaghetti sauce being too acidic
    unless you accidentally added to much vinegar to it.

    Steve

    Tomatoes are often too acidic - depending on the variety, season, where
    they are grown, soil content, etc.

    -L.

  11. -L. said:

    Steve Pope wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I also can't imagine a spaghetti sauce being too acidic
    unless you accidentally added to much vinegar to it.

    Quoted message said:

    Tomatoes are often too acidic - depending on the variety, season, where
    they are grown, soil content, etc.

    Good point. I would not encounter this because the only
    tomatoes I buy are either from a farmers market in season (in
    which case, I would have tasted one and not purchased if too
    acidic), or canned domestic or boxed/jarred Italian tomatos
    neither of which are ever acidic.

    I normally add vinegar to a spaghetti sauce, usually some red wine
    vinegar for acidity and some basalmic for flavor.

    Steve

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Steve Pope) said:
    sf sfpipeline_at_gmail.com said:

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:54:43 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's one way (others often
    recommend sauteeing carrots) to reduce the acidity without making the
    sauce sweet tasting. Learned it here.

    Quoted message said:

    I absolutely HATE spaghetti sauce that has any amout of carrot in it,
    because it's way too sweet.

    Yes, a better plan is to slice up the carrots and add them
    to the boiling pasta water a couple minutes before the pasta
    is done.

    I also can't imagine a spaghetti sauce being too acidic
    unless you accidentally added to much vinegar to it.

    Steve

    Personal preference. I don't add vinegar my spaghetti sauce; sometimes
    the tomatoes are more acidic tasting than I prefer.

    Why would you add the carrots to the pasta water? Or was that a joke?
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  13. Melba's Jammin said:

    Why would you add the carrots to the pasta water? Or was that a joke?

    Same reason you'd add any other vegetable to the pasta water
    to cook them. Zuchinni (sp?) or bell pepper is more typical in my
    household.

    My mother was Italian, we do these things. Definitely not
    a joke! 😉

    Steve

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Steve Pope) said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    Why would you add the carrots to the pasta water? Or was that a joke?

    Same reason you'd add any other vegetable to the pasta water
    to cook them. Zuchinni (sp?) or bell pepper is more typical in my
    household.

    My mother was Italian, we do these things. Definitely not
    a joke! 😉

    Steve

    I'll light a candle.
    Boiled bell pepper, huh? There oughtta be a law.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  15. Melba's Jammin said:

    [email hidden] (Steve Pope) wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    Why would you add the carrots to the pasta water? Or was that a joke?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Same reason you'd add any other vegetable to the pasta water
    to cook them. Zuchinni (sp?) or bell pepper is more typical in my
    household.

    My mother was Italian, we do these things. Definitely not
    a joke! 😉

    Steve

    Quoted message said:

    I'll light a candle.
    Boiled bell pepper, huh? There oughtta be a law.

    It's perfectly good, you should try it sometime and it
    results in a lower-fat dish than if you sauteed it.

    Steve

    Quoted message said:

    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  16. : On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:03:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    : <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : >In article <[email hidden]>,
    : > J. Eric Durbin <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : >
    : >> I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
    : >>
    : >> Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
    : >> ton of salt and making it unhealthy?
    : >
    : >stir in a little baking soda to neutralize the acid. only the tiniest
    : >bit. Too much and it'll be kind of ashy tasting,

    : That's a new one on me. I would never have though of baking soda, I'll
    : give a try as well as Salgud's suggestion of a bit of sugar.

    : Hmm, I wonder if bicarbonate of soda would work? I could drop an Alka
    : Seltzer in there and kill two birds, less vinegar taste and no
    : headache if it's a bloody Mary.

    "baking soda" and "bicarbonate of soda" are the exact same thing. You're
    probably thinking of "baking powder" which is _not_ the same as "baking
    soda".

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.