Thanks to everyone for the comments. I know I posted this back in November but I wanted to update. First, the lightheadness has gotten more prevalent. It happens most rides where we get going 25+ MPH on the flats or try to keep our speed up on hills. I did get a heartrate monitor this Christmas so that has given me some data. I also ruled out iron after my initial post. Because of the unusually warm winter and pressure by friends to ride during the winter, after a couple months off, I started riding again in January. I would also add that I gained 20 lbs from September to the first of January because I didn't cut my calories back as my cycling decreased. On one of the first rides back, I tried to keep up with the better climbers and it just completely drained my body. I was at 172 bpm at the bottom of the hill (we just crested a very small hill prior to that but were maintaining speed). Once I got up to about 185-187, I just could barely turn the crank. My heartrate would eventually spike up to 195 and I was literally going 4-6 MPH. Everyone waited for me at the top of the hills but I just kept going because at this point, my head was spinning and I didn't want to stop. For the rest of the ride (~8 miles/30 mins), I never recovered. My head was in a whirlwind. I had to focus 100 meters down the road just to stay on my bike. Reaching down for my water bottle or to the right to make sure a car wasn't pulling out on the road and I would start zig zagging back and forth in a 3 foot range. However, if I just stay focused down the road, I could keep my balance and the bike straight. It took about 10 mins to recover when we got back. I would add that I was dieting at this point to lose the extra weight so I had cut my caloric intake by 1000 calories and had not eaten since lunch. Hence that probably contributed a lot. That was enough to make me schedule an appointment with the doctor. I did a glucose test and he said I was borderline hypoglycemic. My guess is that maintaining a high heartrate (170s+) for extending periods of time is dropping my blood sugar to dangerous levels. A few people on the ride recommended the importance of eating before (and even during a ride) so I have been doing that and it has improved.
However, my average rides, I am in the 156-172 bpm range depending on distance, course and average speed. Last night I did an relatively slower ride (20 miles, 17.0 avg, a few 5-10% short hills) and i averaged 158. I got dizzy near the end trying to keep up in the 20-25 mph range and really attacking the hills. The hills are what really spikes my heartrate (duh, I know!). My fitness has improved since starting back in January, I lost 10 lbs in January alone (I want to lose 20 more to get down to 185 by end of April), and I am doing better eating before rides (and taking GU packs and glucose pills for rides over 20 miles), yet I still am getting lightheaded on almost every ride (almost always on hills). I would add that as I improve, I am trying to push myself harder. I have gone from people waiting 5 mins for me to get up a hill to being near the front now, but at the expense of feeling lightheaded because of being at a high heartrate. Usually on any climb (even a little 3%er), my heartrate will be in the 170's. I can get up to about 182 before the body pushes back and I have no energy in the legs (getting better as my fitness improves) or get lightheaded. It has gotten better as my conditioning has improved, but as I said earlier, it used to happen every once in awhile, not routinely like now.
Quoted post said:Originally Posted by Myosmith [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
What I suspect is happening is that your body's demand for oxygen and disposal of CO2 has exceeded your cardiorespiratory capacity. Once you exceed peak capacity, oxygen levels drop and CO2 levels increase resulting in light headedness. Your body has a finite capacity to exchange and transport gases. When this level is exceeded, you begin anaerobic metabolism (without oxygen) which cannot be sustained at peak levels for very long. Anaerobic metabolism is great for short bursts at high intensity but sucks for endurance. You can improve your cardiorespiratory capacity through HIIT but every athlete has his/her limit.
I have felt this was the issue. I know there are other factors with the weight gain, taking a couple months off from cycling and hence losing conditioning, dieting, borderline hypoglycemia, but what you posted above is what I felt I was experiencing...just lack of oxygen to brain and muscles. I do want to improve because I want to be limited by heartrate or lactic acid only...not recovering from being lightheaded. Can you tell me what HIIT is? I will google it after this reply but please follow up on that. Thanks again!!!
Quoted post said:Originally Posted by alienator [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
Just see a doctor. The reliability of online diagnoses is right up there with the accuracy of astrological predictions.
I do realize that but you just hope someone will be going through what you have and can shed some light on focusing on the root of the problem. I take every opinion with a grain of salt but you can build up your understanding of the issue though these forums.
Quoted post said:Originally Posted by An old Guy [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
Cat5Hurricane ---
My internet advice is to not ride so hard. That certainly solves the problem.
If I had your problem and could recreate it at will, I would go see a sports doctor - one with a bike trainer in his office. Take my shoes. Wear my shorts.
Lol! I am too competitive not to want to ride with the guys I do. You have great advice, but that is an individual decision. 🙂 Just to give you a head's up, back in January, 20 of us did a 50 mile ride. I got dropped on the first hill about 5 miles into the ride and did 40 of the 50 miles solo. We also were riding into a constant 30+ MPH headwind (13.9 MPH average for first 25 miles, 23.9 MPH on the way back solo maintaining an average heartrate of 174). Other people were getting dropped as well but I was the weakest that day. While I pressed on to the midpoint, 9 others found it too hard and turned around making it a 30 mile ride for them. That is where I differ. I don't mind suffering. I would prefer not, but I know I can only get stronger. The week before 4 others turned around on a 35 mile ride because they were struggling to keep up. I stayed and rode the last 10 mile alone. On the ride in early January I discussed above where my head was spinning for ~45 mins constantly, I could have turned off with 4 miles to go to my house and had my wife drop me to pick up my car but I pushed on. My point is, I may not be the strongest rider on some day, but I won't be the one quitting or taking it easy unless my body forces me to.
I will take your advice on the sports doctor and that is probably the logical next step. Thanks!
Quoted post said:Originally Posted by An old Guy [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
I am not sure that going to a doctor and saying "I get dizzy when I ride my bicycle" is going to produce any worthwhile results.
The process works better if you can reproduce the problem.
---
I have insurance. I have enough savings to pay for any treatment. I would never go to a doctor and say "I get dizzy when I bicycle."
Most likely the problem is caused by a reduction in blood flow to the brain due to a change in effort. I can cause such a change by riding at 90% effort for a reasonable length of time, getting off my bike, and bending over to change my shoes. After I straighten up and take several steps I get dizzy. I cured my problem by sitting down to change my shoes.
Behavioral changes may do as much good as a visit to a doctor.
I expect there is a greater chance of injury on a group ride because someone makes a bicycling mistake rather than this fellow passing out.
It is basically what you are alluding to. When I am riding at 100%+ of my "theoretical heartrate", this is when the issue gets problematic. Most of my rides, my average is 90%. My goal is to get this down to 150-155 bpms or ~85% while improving in my endurance and climbing. I wish I had had my heartrate monitor last year when I was peaking and climbing Mt. Evans or doing one of the many century rides I did so I could compare to when I was peaking last August. As I said, i am riding with a lot of guys who took no time off (and who I had no issue keeping up with them and who I felt were weaker than me when I peaked last August) and I am trying to keep up with them after two months off when I started riding again in January so my ability is below their's currently; I gained 20 lbs in 4 months and that makes a momumental difference on climbs where I am being affected the most; and the borderline hypoglycemia I think I have had for well over a decade but just recently diagnosed coupled with the fact that I was dieting hard when the problems intensified and wasn't eating before or during long rides. Obviously I have improved some of these issues the past month and a half and the lightheadness is getting better. I will update again in a month or so because I think it is valuable to see these kinds of problems, actions to try to correct them, and updates later on.
Thanks to everyone again for the advice.