General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Digital Picture of Britain

Started by Chris Gilbert · · Last activity · 21 posts · 778 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 September 2005
Last activity
15 September 2005
Original author
Chris Gilbert
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
778
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The shortlist is now up on the BBC web site for those interested.

    Although I wanted to win I never had any realistic expectations :-)
    But, while trying to avoid making it sound like sour grapes, some
    of the finalist, although they're pretty damn fine pics, convey nothing
    whatsoever of the area that they're supposed to represent. I hate it
    when that happens.

    Chris

  2. Ysgrifennodd "Chris Gilbert" <[email hidden]> mewn neges
    newyddion:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The shortlist is now up on the BBC web site for those interested.

    Although I wanted to win I never had any realistic expectations :-)
    But, while trying to avoid making it sound like sour grapes, some
    of the finalist, although they're pretty damn fine pics, convey nothing
    whatsoever of the area that they're supposed to represent. I hate it
    when that happens.

    Chris

    What worries me is there's someone up on the Glyderau in february who don't
    actually know where they are... (pic, "Snowdonian Mountain"😉, ;-}

    My bet is that the pic's Foel Goch, near y garn, but it's an unfamiliar
    angle. Any other takers???

    T Dave R

    --

    Lleyn Coastal Path now in progress
    www.walkeryri.org.uk

  3. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    The shortlist is now up on the BBC web site for those interested.

    Although I wanted to win I never had any realistic expectations :-)
    But, while trying to avoid making it sound like sour grapes, some
    of the finalist, although they're pretty damn fine pics, convey nothing
    whatsoever of the area that they're supposed to represent. I hate it
    when that happens.


    Hm. I've just been browsing, and I must say I agree with you. Most of
    the pictures could be of just about anywhere. Very disappointing.

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  4. Dafydd Ap Arwyn said:

    Ysgrifennodd "Chris Gilbert" <[email hidden]> mewn neges
    newyddion:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The shortlist is now up on the BBC web site for those interested.

    Although I wanted to win I never had any realistic expectations :-)
    But, while trying to avoid making it sound like sour grapes, some
    of the finalist, although they're pretty damn fine pics, convey nothing
    whatsoever of the area that they're supposed to represent. I hate it
    when that happens.

    Chris

    What worries me is there's someone up on the Glyderau in february who don't
    actually know where they are... (pic, "Snowdonian Mountain"😉, ;-}

    My bet is that the pic's Foel Goch, near y garn, but it's an unfamiliar
    angle. Any other takers???

    T Dave R


    Can't help with the hill, but I think the photographer has been
    overcharged, or short-changed by a Welsh shopkeeper at some point....
    "in the distance on the left a glimpse of the _Meani_ Strait." :-)

    --
    Dave McLaughlin

    [censored] Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum

  5. "Chris Gilbert" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The shortlist is now up on the BBC web site for those interested.

    Although I wanted to win I never had any realistic expectations :-)
    But, while trying to avoid making it sound like sour grapes, some
    of the finalist, although they're pretty damn fine pics, convey nothing
    whatsoever of the area that they're supposed to represent. I hate it
    when that happens.


    I can agree with that sentiment. Many of them would win prizes for nature
    pic competitions, be good postcards or works by art students but they aren't
    really 'of Britain'.
    There are some nice views of the countryside but where are the people? It is
    the people that make Britain, not odd angles of churches.

    Anyone know where the Hilltop Memorial in the Malvern Hills is?
    http://tinyurl.com/czkrp

    Nick

  6. Nick Pedley said:

    Anyone know where the Hilltop Memorial in the Malvern Hills is?
    http://tinyurl.com/czkrp

    I'm sure its on the Beacon. It has one of those nice brass
    panorma plates on it.

    Chris

  7. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from
    the wonderful person Chris Gilbert <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:


    Nick Pedley said:

    Anyone know where the Hilltop Memorial in the Malvern Hills is?
    http://tinyurl.com/czkrp

    I'm sure its on the Beacon. It has one of those nice brass
    panorma plates on it.

    I think they're called topographs or toposcopes or something. 8>.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at gunpoint.

  8. "Chris Gilbert" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Nick Pedley said:

    Anyone know where the Hilltop Memorial in the Malvern Hills is?
    http://tinyurl.com/czkrp

    I'm sure its on the Beacon. It has one of those nice brass
    panorma plates on it.


    Hmm, the Beacon. Just outside Great Malvern. That's a Marilyn if I'm not
    mistaken and there's some nice walking routes around there....

    Nick

  9. Nick Pedley wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Hmm, the Beacon. Just outside Great Malvern. That's a Marilyn if I'm not
    mistaken and there's some nice walking routes around there....

    The whole line of hills is a great day's walk in good weather. There used to
    be a great pub too in Little Malvern although the name escapes me right
    now (Pack Horse anyone?). I heard a while back that it had had a fire and
    was closed but it was a well-positioned half -way refreshments place, if
    you see what I mean.

    Chris

  10. In message <[email hidden]>, Chris Gilbert
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    The whole line of hills is a great day's walk in good weather. There used to
    be a great pub too in Little Malvern although the name escapes me right
    now (Pack Horse anyone?). I heard a while back that it had had a fire and
    was closed but it was a well-positioned half -way refreshments place, if
    you see what I mean.

    Chris


    Pubs (fairly) easily accessible from the ridge include the Malvern Hills
    Hotel (SO763404), The Chase (SO767431) & The Wyche Inn (SO770437).
    I don't think there's ever been a Pack Horse in Malvern.

    The toposcope is definitely on the top of the Worcestershire Beacon
    (SO769452).
    --
    Neil Pugh

  11. Neil Pugh said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Chris Gilbert
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    The whole line of hills is a great day's walk in good weather. There
    used to be a great pub too in Little Malvern although the name
    escapes me right now (Pack Horse anyone?). I heard a while back that
    it had had a fire and was closed but it was a well-positioned half
    -way refreshments place, if you see what I mean.

    Pubs (fairly) easily accessible from the ridge include the Malvern
    Hills Hotel (SO763404), The Chase (SO767431) & The Wyche Inn
    (SO770437).

    There's a cafe near the Wyche Cutting too, just along the road a few
    yards from the Wyche Inn. The cafe at St Ann's Well is quite nice too.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think there's ever been a Pack Horse in Malvern.

    In all my years here I've never heard of a Pack Horse pub.

    Quoted message said:

    The toposcope is definitely on the top of the Worcestershire Beacon
    (SO769452).

    Well it was the last time I was up there but it does get stolen regularly.

    http://www.hyperspace.org.uk/malvern/img_0980.jpg

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
    UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
    Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR

  12. Chris Eilbeck wrote

    Quoted message said:

    In all my years here I've never heard of a Pack Horse pub.

    With my thinking head on, I can now say definitely that it was in
    West Malvern. I'm still struggling to remember its name but it had
    a fire, ooh, 10 years ago at least. I did some googling and I came
    across The Lamb. Where's that ?

    Chris

  13. Chris Eilbeck wrote

    Quoted message said:

    In all my years here I've never heard of a Pack Horse pub.

    With my thinking head on, I can now say definitely that it was in
    West Malvern. I'm still struggling to remember its name but it had
    a fire, ooh, 10 years ago at least. I did some googling and I came
    across The Lamb. Where's that ?

    Chris

  14. Chris Gilbert said:

    Chris Eilbeck wrote

    Quoted message said:

    In all my years here I've never heard of a Pack Horse pub.

    With my thinking head on, I can now say definitely that it was in
    West Malvern. I'm still struggling to remember its name but it had a
    fire, ooh, 10 years ago at least. I did some googling and I came
    across The Lamb. Where's that ?

    Just down from North Hill at approx SO 765470.

    Do you mean the Brewery Tap? That's not really handy for the ridge
    line either though.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
    UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
    Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR

  15. Nick Pedley said:

    Anyone know where the Hilltop Memorial in the Malvern Hills is?
    http://tinyurl.com/czkrp

    That's Worcestershire Beacon. The pic I posted is what's on top of
    it.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
    UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
    Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR

  16. On 12/9/05 21:13, in article [email hidden], "Chris

    Gilbert said:

    With my thinking head on, I can now say definitely that it was in
    West Malvern. I'm still struggling to remember its name but it had
    a fire, ooh, 10 years ago at least. I did some googling and I came
    across The Lamb. Where's that ?

    One of the problems with Malvern is that there are so many parts to it!
    Little Malvern, Malvern Wells etc.

    --
    Andy Howell
    Birmingham, UK

    To mail simply put back the dots ...

  17. "Chris Gilbert" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Chris Eilbeck wrote

    Quoted message said:

    In all my years here I've never heard of a Pack Horse pub.

    With my thinking head on, I can now say definitely that it was in
    West Malvern. I'm still struggling to remember its name but it had
    a fire, ooh, 10 years ago at least. I did some googling and I came
    across The Lamb. Where's that ?

    Chris

    Chris

    Extract from 1995 Good Beer Guide (.....pause for chorus of 'Sad B*st*rd'😉

    West Malvern......Brewers Arms.....sympathetic restoration after fire.

    I'd hate you being distracted from your toils trying to find the name of a
    pub you once visited.
    --
    0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
    Antispam measures in force - remove nobumf from address to reply
    0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

  18. Bob Douglas wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Extract from 1995 Good Beer Guide (.....pause for chorus of 'Sad B*st*rd'😉
    West Malvern......Brewers Arms.....sympathetic restoration after fire.

    Thanks Bob.

    One thing I *do* remember is that I wasn't driving that day, which may
    explain why I clearly remember little else about the occaision ;-)

    Chris

  19. Chris Gilbert said:

    Bob Douglas wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Extract from 1995 Good Beer Guide (.....pause for chorus of 'Sad
    B*st*rd'😉 West Malvern......Brewers Arms.....sympathetic
    restoration after fire.

    Thanks Bob.

    One thing I *do* remember is that I wasn't driving that day, which
    may explain why I clearly remember little else about the occaision
    ;-)

    Well if you're back up this way drop into the Nags Head. It's a
    really good pub, good food and supposedly the best pint of beer in
    town.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
    UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
    Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR

  20. In message <[email hidden]>, Chris Eilbeck
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Chris Gilbert said:

    Bob Douglas wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Extract from 1995 Good Beer Guide (.....pause for chorus of 'Sad
    B*st*rd'😉 West Malvern......Brewers Arms.....sympathetic
    restoration after fire.

    Ah, it was The Brewers that went up was it? I know the Lambs been closed
    on and off over the last few years, but I hadn't heard of a fire there.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Thanks Bob.

    One thing I *do* remember is that I wasn't driving that day, which
    may explain why I clearly remember little else about the occaision
    ;-)

    Well if you're back up this way drop into the Nags Head. It's a
    really good pub, good food and supposedly the best pint of beer in
    town.

    Chris

    The Chase (which is a bit closer to the ridge than the Nags!) is now
    owned by the same Landlord.

    Regards
    --
    Neil Pugh

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.