Road Cycling · Public discussion

Did watching the TdF improve your cycling?

Started by jj · · Last activity · 74 posts · 2,580 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 July 2005
Last activity
31 July 2005
Original author
jj
Posts
74
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,580
Views / 30 days
25

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 74
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just wondering if anyone found themselves riding more, timing their rides
    to surround the coverage, getting a psychological boost, improving their
    riding or something similar from having the Tour on during the day?

    Everyone talks about the coverage being boring and so forth, but I love to
    watch the pros ride, to see their high cadence and to learn a little from
    their expert bike handling. It just makes me want to get out and ride. It's
    easy to imagine one's self as a pro rider...("There goes the big German,
    with his hyoouge quads flexing, riding those enormous gears up that steep
    incline..."😉 Hehe.

    Myself, it got me motivated last year to get up at 5am and get out on the
    roads by 6 and ride for an hour. Then I'd ride again in the late afternoon
    with images of the Tour spurring me on.

    This year, I didn't get it together that often to get up for the early ride
    and generally rode after the am coverage and then again in the early PM. I
    didn't get the 320 miles in two weeks that I got last year, but I rode the
    200+ miles quite a bit faster.

    It's nice having the stages taped - heh, I dutifully sat there and removed
    all those pesky commercials, and I plan to re-run them when I ride my
    stationary bike.

    jj

  2. "jj" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just wondering if anyone found themselves riding more, timing their rides
    to surround the coverage, getting a psychological boost, improving their
    riding or something similar from having the Tour on during the day?

    Everyone talks about the coverage being boring and so forth, but I love to
    watch the pros ride, to see their high cadence and to learn a little from
    their expert bike handling. It just makes me want to get out and ride.
    It's
    easy to imagine one's self as a pro rider...("There goes the big German,
    with his hyoouge quads flexing, riding those enormous gears up that steep
    incline..."😉 Hehe.

    Myself, it got me motivated last year to get up at 5am and get out on the
    roads by 6 and ride for an hour. Then I'd ride again in the late afternoon
    with images of the Tour spurring me on.

    This year, I didn't get it together that often to get up for the early
    ride
    and generally rode after the am coverage and then again in the early PM. I
    didn't get the 320 miles in two weeks that I got last year, but I rode the
    200+ miles quite a bit faster.

    It's nice having the stages taped - heh, I dutifully sat there and removed
    all those pesky commercials, and I plan to re-run them when I ride my
    stationary bike.

    jj

    After watching Michael Rasmussen in the TT on Saturday, I went out and got
    on my TT bike ... and I promptly went head-first into a ditch, then I got a
    series of flats. It was inspiring.

    I live on video tapes of the tour stages to get me through winter training
    on the rollers and trainer. Gotta watch out on those scenes where the
    camera is right behind a group descending a twisty mountain. I've gotten
    caught up in it before and taken a turn right off the rollers.

    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

  3. "jj" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just wondering if anyone found themselves riding more, timing their rides
    to surround the coverage, getting a psychological boost, improving their
    riding or something similar from having the Tour on during the day?

    Everyone talks about the coverage being boring and so forth, but I love to
    watch the pros ride, to see their high cadence and to learn a little from
    their expert bike handling. It just makes me want to get out and ride.
    It's
    easy to imagine one's self as a pro rider...("There goes the big German,
    with his hyoouge quads flexing, riding those enormous gears up that steep
    incline..."😉 Hehe.

    Myself, it got me motivated last year to get up at 5am and get out on the
    roads by 6 and ride for an hour. Then I'd ride again in the late afternoon
    with images of the Tour spurring me on.

    This year, I didn't get it together that often to get up for the early
    ride
    and generally rode after the am coverage and then again in the early PM. I
    didn't get the 320 miles in two weeks that I got last year, but I rode the
    200+ miles quite a bit faster.

    It's nice having the stages taped - heh, I dutifully sat there and removed
    all those pesky commercials, and I plan to re-run them when I ride my
    stationary bike.

    jj

    After watching Michael Rasmussen in the TT on Saturday, I went out and got
    on my TT bike ... and I promptly went head-first into a ditch, then I got a
    series of flats. It was inspiring.

    I live on video tapes of the tour stages to get me through winter training
    on the rollers and trainer. Gotta watch out on those scenes where the
    camera is right behind a group descending a twisty mountain. I've gotten
    caught up in it before and taken a turn right off the rollers.

    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

  4. "jj" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just wondering if anyone found themselves riding more, timing their rides
    to surround the coverage, getting a psychological boost, improving their
    riding or something similar from having the Tour on during the day?

    Everyone talks about the coverage being boring and so forth, but I love to
    watch the pros ride, to see their high cadence and to learn a little from
    their expert bike handling. It just makes me want to get out and ride.
    It's
    easy to imagine one's self as a pro rider...("There goes the big German,
    with his hyoouge quads flexing, riding those enormous gears up that steep
    incline..."😉 Hehe.

    Myself, it got me motivated last year to get up at 5am and get out on the
    roads by 6 and ride for an hour. Then I'd ride again in the late afternoon
    with images of the Tour spurring me on.

    This year, I didn't get it together that often to get up for the early
    ride
    and generally rode after the am coverage and then again in the early PM. I
    didn't get the 320 miles in two weeks that I got last year, but I rode the
    200+ miles quite a bit faster.

    It's nice having the stages taped - heh, I dutifully sat there and removed
    all those pesky commercials, and I plan to re-run them when I ride my
    stationary bike.

    jj

    After watching Michael Rasmussen in the TT on Saturday, I went out and got
    on my TT bike ... and I promptly went head-first into a ditch, then I got a
    series of flats. It was inspiring.

    I live on video tapes of the tour stages to get me through winter training
    on the rollers and trainer. Gotta watch out on those scenes where the
    camera is right behind a group descending a twisty mountain. I've gotten
    caught up in it before and taken a turn right off the rollers.

    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

  5. jj wrote:
    :: Just wondering if anyone found themselves riding more, timing their
    :: rides to surround the coverage, getting a psychological boost,
    :: improving their riding or something similar from having the Tour on
    :: during the day?

    I rode less while the tour was happenning! I got back out there yesterday,
    though. I've got a big one next week, too.

    Yesterday, I did my best Lance impression....sprinting pass my buddy while
    spinning at 120!

    ::
    :: Everyone talks about the coverage being boring and so forth, but I
    :: love to watch the pros ride, to see their high cadence and to learn
    :: a little from their expert bike handling. It just makes me want to
    :: get out and ride. It's easy to imagine one's self as a pro
    :: rider...("There goes the big German, with his hyoouge quads flexing,
    :: riding those enormous gears up that steep incline..."😉 Hehe.
    ::
    :: Myself, it got me motivated last year to get up at 5am and get out
    :: on the roads by 6 and ride for an hour. Then I'd ride again in the
    :: late afternoon with images of the Tour spurring me on.
    ::
    :: This year, I didn't get it together that often to get up for the
    :: early ride and generally rode after the am coverage and then again
    :: in the early PM. I didn't get the 320 miles in two weeks that I got
    :: last year, but I rode the 200+ miles quite a bit faster.
    ::
    :: It's nice having the stages taped - heh, I dutifully sat there and
    :: removed all those pesky commercials, and I plan to re-run them when
    :: I ride my stationary bike.
    ::
    :: jj

  6. jj wrote:
    :: Just wondering if anyone found themselves riding more, timing their
    :: rides to surround the coverage, getting a psychological boost,
    :: improving their riding or something similar from having the Tour on
    :: during the day?

    I rode less while the tour was happenning! I got back out there yesterday,
    though. I've got a big one next week, too.

    Yesterday, I did my best Lance impression....sprinting pass my buddy while
    spinning at 120!

    ::
    :: Everyone talks about the coverage being boring and so forth, but I
    :: love to watch the pros ride, to see their high cadence and to learn
    :: a little from their expert bike handling. It just makes me want to
    :: get out and ride. It's easy to imagine one's self as a pro
    :: rider...("There goes the big German, with his hyoouge quads flexing,
    :: riding those enormous gears up that steep incline..."😉 Hehe.
    ::
    :: Myself, it got me motivated last year to get up at 5am and get out
    :: on the roads by 6 and ride for an hour. Then I'd ride again in the
    :: late afternoon with images of the Tour spurring me on.
    ::
    :: This year, I didn't get it together that often to get up for the
    :: early ride and generally rode after the am coverage and then again
    :: in the early PM. I didn't get the 320 miles in two weeks that I got
    :: last year, but I rode the 200+ miles quite a bit faster.
    ::
    :: It's nice having the stages taped - heh, I dutifully sat there and
    :: removed all those pesky commercials, and I plan to re-run them when
    :: I ride my stationary bike.
    ::
    :: jj

  7. jj wrote:
    :: Just wondering if anyone found themselves riding more, timing their
    :: rides to surround the coverage, getting a psychological boost,
    :: improving their riding or something similar from having the Tour on
    :: during the day?

    I rode less while the tour was happenning! I got back out there yesterday,
    though. I've got a big one next week, too.

    Yesterday, I did my best Lance impression....sprinting pass my buddy while
    spinning at 120!

    ::
    :: Everyone talks about the coverage being boring and so forth, but I
    :: love to watch the pros ride, to see their high cadence and to learn
    :: a little from their expert bike handling. It just makes me want to
    :: get out and ride. It's easy to imagine one's self as a pro
    :: rider...("There goes the big German, with his hyoouge quads flexing,
    :: riding those enormous gears up that steep incline..."😉 Hehe.
    ::
    :: Myself, it got me motivated last year to get up at 5am and get out
    :: on the roads by 6 and ride for an hour. Then I'd ride again in the
    :: late afternoon with images of the Tour spurring me on.
    ::
    :: This year, I didn't get it together that often to get up for the
    :: early ride and generally rode after the am coverage and then again
    :: in the early PM. I didn't get the 320 miles in two weeks that I got
    :: last year, but I rode the 200+ miles quite a bit faster.
    ::
    :: It's nice having the stages taped - heh, I dutifully sat there and
    :: removed all those pesky commercials, and I plan to re-run them when
    :: I ride my stationary bike.
    ::
    :: jj

  8. jj said:


    Just wondering if anyone found themselves riding more, timing their rides
    to surround the coverage, getting a psychological boost, improving their
    riding or something similar from having the Tour on during the day?

    I wore my yellow jersey more than my red or blue ones. Admired my calves
    in shop windows a bit more. I did more intervals as they made the calves
    look even more awesome. All in all it helped me focus on the importance of
    vanity more than bike [censored]. :P

    Must have worked, a guy with major tattoos stopped his lawn mower and
    shouted something merrily in French at me a couple days ago. "Vive
    Somthingorother!!!"

  9. jj said:


    Just wondering if anyone found themselves riding more, timing their rides
    to surround the coverage, getting a psychological boost, improving their
    riding or something similar from having the Tour on during the day?

    I wore my yellow jersey more than my red or blue ones. Admired my calves
    in shop windows a bit more. I did more intervals as they made the calves
    look even more awesome. All in all it helped me focus on the importance of
    vanity more than bike [censored]. :P

    Must have worked, a guy with major tattoos stopped his lawn mower and
    shouted something merrily in French at me a couple days ago. "Vive
    Somthingorother!!!"

  10. jj said:


    Just wondering if anyone found themselves riding more, timing their rides
    to surround the coverage, getting a psychological boost, improving their
    riding or something similar from having the Tour on during the day?

    I wore my yellow jersey more than my red or blue ones. Admired my calves
    in shop windows a bit more. I did more intervals as they made the calves
    look even more awesome. All in all it helped me focus on the importance of
    vanity more than bike [censored]. :P

    Must have worked, a guy with major tattoos stopped his lawn mower and
    shouted something merrily in French at me a couple days ago. "Vive
    Somthingorother!!!"

  11. psycholist wrote:
    ::
    :: After watching Michael Rasmussen in the TT on Saturday, I went out
    :: and got on my TT bike ... and I promptly went head-first into a
    :: ditch, then I got a series of flats. It was inspiring.
    ::
    :: I live on video tapes of the tour stages to get me through winter
    :: training on the rollers and trainer. Gotta watch out on those
    :: scenes where the camera is right behind a group descending a twisty
    :: mountain. I've gotten caught up in it before and taken a turn right
    :: off the rollers.
    ::

    You're kidding on both points, right?

  12. psycholist wrote:
    ::
    :: After watching Michael Rasmussen in the TT on Saturday, I went out
    :: and got on my TT bike ... and I promptly went head-first into a
    :: ditch, then I got a series of flats. It was inspiring.
    ::
    :: I live on video tapes of the tour stages to get me through winter
    :: training on the rollers and trainer. Gotta watch out on those
    :: scenes where the camera is right behind a group descending a twisty
    :: mountain. I've gotten caught up in it before and taken a turn right
    :: off the rollers.
    ::

    You're kidding on both points, right?

  13. psycholist wrote:
    ::
    :: After watching Michael Rasmussen in the TT on Saturday, I went out
    :: and got on my TT bike ... and I promptly went head-first into a
    :: ditch, then I got a series of flats. It was inspiring.
    ::
    :: I live on video tapes of the tour stages to get me through winter
    :: training on the rollers and trainer. Gotta watch out on those
    :: scenes where the camera is right behind a group descending a twisty
    :: mountain. I've gotten caught up in it before and taken a turn right
    :: off the rollers.
    ::

    You're kidding on both points, right?

  14. Roger Zoul said:
    psycholist said:
    Quoted message said:


    After watching Michael Rasmussen in the TT on Saturday, I went out
    and got on my TT bike ... and I promptly went head-first into a
    ditch, then I got a series of flats. It was inspiring.

    I live on video tapes of the tour stages to get me through winter
    training on the rollers and trainer. Gotta watch out on those
    scenes where the camera is right behind a group descending a twisty
    mountain. I've gotten caught up in it before and taken a turn right
    off the rollers.

    You're kidding on both points, right?

    First, yes. Second? Bet not 🙂

  15. Roger Zoul said:
    psycholist said:
    Quoted message said:


    After watching Michael Rasmussen in the TT on Saturday, I went out
    and got on my TT bike ... and I promptly went head-first into a
    ditch, then I got a series of flats. It was inspiring.

    I live on video tapes of the tour stages to get me through winter
    training on the rollers and trainer. Gotta watch out on those
    scenes where the camera is right behind a group descending a twisty
    mountain. I've gotten caught up in it before and taken a turn right
    off the rollers.

    You're kidding on both points, right?

    First, yes. Second? Bet not 🙂

  16. Roger Zoul said:
    psycholist said:
    Quoted message said:


    After watching Michael Rasmussen in the TT on Saturday, I went out
    and got on my TT bike ... and I promptly went head-first into a
    ditch, then I got a series of flats. It was inspiring.

    I live on video tapes of the tour stages to get me through winter
    training on the rollers and trainer. Gotta watch out on those
    scenes where the camera is right behind a group descending a twisty
    mountain. I've gotten caught up in it before and taken a turn right
    off the rollers.

    You're kidding on both points, right?

    First, yes. Second? Bet not 🙂

  17. maxo said:

    Must have worked, a guy with major tattoos stopped his lawn mower and
    shouted something merrily in French at me a couple days ago. "Vive
    Somthingorother!!!"

    It does seem to have had a positive impact on some. I was out doing
    intervals on Saturday morning, going full tilt along a flat section at
    ~22mph when I noticed an old farm truck following me without passing.
    The speed limit there is 35 and there was no other traffic, so I
    wondered why he didn't just go around.

    We got to a red light and he pulled up next to me and I learned why.
    Our brief conversation went roughly like this:

    Driver: "I hear you guys can get those things up over 30."
    Me: "Not me, but the pros can."
    Driver: "Well I had you at about 25, pretty good."

    At that point the light changed and we separated. I thought it was
    cool that someone evidently new to the sport could appreciate what we
    do.

    -JR

  18. maxo said:

    Must have worked, a guy with major tattoos stopped his lawn mower and
    shouted something merrily in French at me a couple days ago. "Vive
    Somthingorother!!!"

    It does seem to have had a positive impact on some. I was out doing
    intervals on Saturday morning, going full tilt along a flat section at
    ~22mph when I noticed an old farm truck following me without passing.
    The speed limit there is 35 and there was no other traffic, so I
    wondered why he didn't just go around.

    We got to a red light and he pulled up next to me and I learned why.
    Our brief conversation went roughly like this:

    Driver: "I hear you guys can get those things up over 30."
    Me: "Not me, but the pros can."
    Driver: "Well I had you at about 25, pretty good."

    At that point the light changed and we separated. I thought it was
    cool that someone evidently new to the sport could appreciate what we
    do.

    -JR

  19. maxo said:

    Must have worked, a guy with major tattoos stopped his lawn mower and
    shouted something merrily in French at me a couple days ago. "Vive
    Somthingorother!!!"

    It does seem to have had a positive impact on some. I was out doing
    intervals on Saturday morning, going full tilt along a flat section at
    ~22mph when I noticed an old farm truck following me without passing.
    The speed limit there is 35 and there was no other traffic, so I
    wondered why he didn't just go around.

    We got to a red light and he pulled up next to me and I learned why.
    Our brief conversation went roughly like this:

    Driver: "I hear you guys can get those things up over 30."
    Me: "Not me, but the pros can."
    Driver: "Well I had you at about 25, pretty good."

    At that point the light changed and we separated. I thought it was
    cool that someone evidently new to the sport could appreciate what we
    do.

    -JR

  20. jj said:

    Just wondering if anyone found themselves riding more, timing their rides
    to surround the coverage, getting a psychological boost, improving their
    riding or something similar from having the Tour on during the day?

    Riding with the group during Le Tour reminds me of playing basketball at
    the Y during playoffs -- a lot of playing over their heads going on.
    Funny and a little annoying in b-ball, scary on the road. One guy nearly
    stacked me twice -- riding a Madone, naturally...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.