rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

der Uber Coker videos + review

Started by siafirede · · Last activity · 17 posts · 437 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
23 November 2005
Last activity
29 November 2005
Original author
siafirede
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
437
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Okay, so last weekend I went up to NYC to try out der Uber Coker (geared
    coker, geared to 1.5:1). I mainly wanted to try out the beast to see
    if I wanted to invest in a schlumpf 36er, and well...after trying
    it...I DO! The 54" equivalent wheel is incredible. I do not own a
    coker, and last saturday was only the second or third time I had been
    on a regular coker, let alone a geared one, but I was able to ride der
    Uber Coker quite well. It took a couple minutes to get the hang of it
    and freemount it, but after a while I was able to freemount and blast
    off. It is a little slow to start, but once you get it started it
    moves beautifully. It is so smooth and requires little effort to go
    fast, it does however require more concentration than a regular coker.
    Either way, it was an incredible feeling pedaling so slow and going so
    fast! I think that with the schlumpf hub being able to downshift to
    the 1:1 mode to go uphill will be great and then on the flats and
    downhills shifting up to the 1:1.5 mode would be great. Der Uber
    currently has 150mm cranks on it, and these were perfect. I don't
    think I would go any higher than 150mm because it would probably hurt
    my knees more on long distance, and smaller than 150mm I would lose a
    little control. The only downside to der Uber was that it was rather
    heavy, but it was not that much heavier than Andrew's stock coker, so
    it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

    Here are some videos of me riding der Uber, and one video of Andrew
    doing a pirouette on his stock coker:

    http://www.enhansa.net/unicycling/NY/

    I just emailed Florian and he said that if I ordered now I could have
    the hub in about 3 weeks, so I am pretty sure I am going to order one
    soon.

    --
    siafirede
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  2. That looks great!

    I never got a chance to use 110's on that before, but my local
    Velodrome shall prove the perfect place for that! I'm anxious to try
    out the new and improved uber, i only had it before Andrew smashed it
    up 😉

    Ride it while you can, It's coming home to Canada in two weeks 🙂

    Andrew, nice work on those pirouttes, too bad you weren't on a gym
    floor or something slick. ( I did notice that Grant's tomb had quite
    the slick surfaces inside! )

    see you guys soon!

    --
    Brian MacKenzie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  3. 110s + der Uber + a velodrome....sounds like heaven! Be sure to take
    some videos and record your speed!

    --
    siafirede
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  4. Awesome vids!!
    You can hear me yapping it up with Andrew in one of them.
    The first one with the pirouettes is gr8t!

    --
    babyivan

    *NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN!*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    babyivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11031
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  5. I only get the sound!
    What are you using to play. I updated quicktime and still only sound.
    Thanks!

    --
    podzol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  6. good ol' windows media player

    did it at least 'sound' fast?

    --
    Brian MacKenzie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  7. If you only hear sound you might need the divx codec (www.divx.com)

    but yeah, I am using windows media player as well.

    --
    siafirede
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  8. I used real player and it came out fine, but siafirede is right, you
    probably just need the proper codec.

    --
    babyivan

    *NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN!*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    babyivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11031
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  9. Nice videos. Glad you guys had fun with it. I wish fearless Andrew would
    take it out on a bike trail and get someone to clock him on it before
    he gives it to pokey Brian.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    *jc is the only main man. there can be no other.*

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  10. harper said:

    before he gives it to pokey Brian.

    hopefully i will be able to get it up to 10-12 km/h!

    --
    Brian MacKenzie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  11. Brian MacKenzie said:

    hopefully i will be able to get it up to 10-12 km/h!

    You don't even drive that fast. Sissy.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    *jc is the only main man. there can be no other.*

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  12. harper said:

    You don't even drive that fast. Sissy.

    Maybe the man in a women's swimsuit is right...I AM a sissy 🙁

    --
    Brian MacKenzie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  13. I got it to work. Just some messed up quick time issue. Media player
    worked better. 🙂

    SO that was fantastic!!! Itis so neat just to see people riding
    together. Dont take that for granted. I have always ridden alone. (poor
    me). Any how. Very nice fast riding!!!

    --
    podzol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  14. harper said:

    I wish fearless Andrew would take it out on a bike trail and get someone
    to clock him on it before he gives it to pokey Brian.

    I would very much like to make that wish come true before I have to
    give it back in a week or so! Now that I've been riding der Uber in the
    street, I'd like to get clocked on 5th Ave. or Broadway as well...
    makes for better scenery and there's a bit more of an urgency to make
    sure nothing goes wrong... plus the police really seem to get a kick
    out of it! Now, I just need someone to clock me. Maybe I'll post an ad
    on Craigs List for someone who can clock me on their bike.

    Brian MacKenzie said:

    Andrew, nice work on those pirouttes, too bad you weren't on a gym floor
    or something slick. (I did notice that Grant's tomb had quite the slick
    surfaces inside!)

    That wasn't one of my better ones... but thanks, Brian.

    The security guards hassle me when I ride down the stairs outside of
    the building housing Grant's Tomb... so I doubt they would take too
    kindly to my doing pirouettes inside the building, unfortunately!

    harper said:


    Brian MacKenzie said:

    hopefully i will be able to get it up to 10-12 km/h!

    You don't even drive that fast. Sissy.

    Though I haven't driven in a car with him, I have faith that Brian will
    be able to achieve his goal of 10-12 km/h!

    ... it's more the banking at the velodrome that concerns me! (Remember
    the last time Brian rode his Coker on some banking? :eek🙂

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: Brian_after_berm.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/10807 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    HardcoreCokerRider
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  15. HardcoreCokerRider said:

    (Remember the last time Brian rode his Coker on some banking? :eek🙂

    No, no I don't....

    --
    Brian MacKenzie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  16. hey guys... i need pic of der uber coker.. close up at the hub and
    cranks please, my brother wants to see it close up, thanks

    --
    manon1wheel

    Riley Crosby

    getting better... lvl 5 unicyclist
    -.- T1me to overthrow most replies!!-.-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

  17. manon1wheel said:

    hey guys... i need pic of der uber coker.. close up at the hub and
    cranks please, my brother wants to see it close up, thanks

    'Hub and wheel views but no cranks' (http://tinyurl.com/8cw98)

    --
    U-Turn

    Weep in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield.
    'LiveWire Unicycles' (http://www.livewireunicycles.com)
    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albup39)
    '29er Tire Study' (http://u-turn.unicyclist.com/29erTireStudy/)
    'New York Unicycle Club' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)
    -- Dave Stockton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U-Turn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/691
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44923

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.