General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Deer Pic & Fresh Pickerel Dinner

Started by ~patches~ · · Last activity · 20 posts · 590 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 November 2005
Last activity
11 November 2005
Original author
~patches~
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
590
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. DH got home around dinner time along with the deer to show me then take
    to the abbatoir. The venison will be ready to pick up likely tomorrow
    evening. We are going to tan the hide as well so will be getting the
    hide back from the abbatoir. He also brought fresh pickerel! Here's a
    pic of their catches. I'll post the venison goodies as I make them.

    the deer - http://tinypic.com/fkprig.jpg

    We had the fresh pickerel for a simple dinner of fish with oven baked
    potatoes. DH cooked it the way they cooked it at the hunt camp. As
    always this is one very nice fish!

    fresh catch - http://tinypic.com/fkqgjp.jpg

    dinner - http://tinypic.com/fkqj2u.jpg

    And for your viewing pleasure, here is a pic right outside the door of
    the hunt cabin.

    http://tinypic.com/fkqk5k.jpg

  2. ~patches~ said:

    DH got home around dinner time along with the deer to show me then take
    to the abbatoir. The venison will be ready to pick up likely tomorrow
    evening. We are going to tan the hide as well so will be getting the
    hide back from the abbatoir. He also brought fresh pickerel! Here's a
    pic of their catches. I'll post the venison goodies as I make them.

    Curious here - how does one tan the hide of a deer?

    Sue
    Portsmouth, UK
    --
    pen-drake location ntl-world-.-com minus hyphens.

  3. ~patches~ said:

    the deer - http://tinypic

    Your home photo album is more boring than watching videos of your
    sisterinlaw's first birth.

  4. ~patches~ said:

    the deer - h

    yes...it looked just like a midwifes first attempt.

  5. EastneyEnder said:
    ~patches~ said:

    DH got home around dinner time along with the deer to show me then take
    to the abbatoir. The venison will be ready to pick up likely tomorrow
    evening. We are going to tan the hide as well so will be getting the
    hide back from the abbatoir. He also brought fresh pickerel! Here's a
    pic of their catches. I'll post the venison goodies as I make them.

    Curious here - how does one tan the hide of a deer?

    Sue
    Portsmouth, UK

    I'm making it into buckskin which means the hair must be removed first
    then the hide is subjected to tanning chemicals. I'm not using the lime
    method mentioned in the following article but rather a natural method.
    Here's a link to give you an idea of the process.
    http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_l/l-103.html

  6. On Thu 10 Nov 2005 06:11:03p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ~patches~?

    Quoted message said:

    DH got home around dinner time along with the deer to show me then take
    to the abbatoir. The venison will be ready to pick up likely tomorrow
    evening. We are going to tan the hide as well so will be getting the
    hide back from the abbatoir. He also brought fresh pickerel! Here's a
    pic of their catches. I'll post the venison goodies as I make them.

    the deer - http://tinypic.com/fkprig.jpg

    What a great looking deer! I have eaten venison and enjoyed it, but have
    never cooked it myself. Will you also post the recipe(s) you use when you
    make them?

    Quoted message said:

    We had the fresh pickerel for a simple dinner of fish with oven baked
    potatoes. DH cooked it the way they cooked it at the hunt camp. As
    always this is one very nice fish!

    fresh catch - http://tinypic.com/fkqgjp.jpg

    Pickerel is one of my all time favorite fish! It's virtually impossible to
    get where I live, and I probably wouldn't trust its freshness if I did see
    it for sale. Luckily, there is a fish and seafood restaurant that does
    serve it fresh and it's quite good.

    Quoted message said:

    dinner - http://tinypic.com/fkqj2u.jpg

    As usual, you dinner looks scrumptious, and I'm sure it was!

    Quoted message said:

    And for your viewing pleasure, here is a pic right outside the door of
    the hunt cabin.

    http://tinypic.com/fkqk5k.jpg

    Looks like a great place to go to. My family used to have a cabin on the
    shore of Kentucky Lake. I loved being there, beautiful and relaxing.

    Cheers!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________________________

    A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!

  7. Ward Abbott said:
    ~patches~ said:

    the deer - http://tinypic

    Your home photo album is more boring than watching videos of your
    sisterinlaw's first birth.


    No one is forcing you to click on any links leading to the pics. So
    bite me!

  8. "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ward Abbott said:
    ~patches~ said:

    the deer - http://tinypic

    Your home photo album is more boring than watching videos of your
    sisterinlaw's first birth.


    No one is forcing you to click on any links leading to the pics. So bite
    me!

    I have to laugh reading your "bite me." I read a book/biograph of Mozart's
    letters a long while ago, and he was quite fond of using a phrase, 'bite my
    ass,' as I recall. You're in good company.
    I like your photos. I'd like to see more people post them.
    Dee Dee

  9. Dee Randall said:

    I like your photos. I'd like to see more people post them.
    Dee Dee

    Aren't there newsgroups like "binaries" for that sort of thing? I don't
    mind an occasional picture.
    Goomba

  10. "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We had the fresh pickerel for a simple dinner of fish with oven baked
    potatoes. DH cooked it the way they cooked it at the hunt camp. As
    always this is one very nice fish!

    fresh catch - http://tinypic.com/fkqgjp.jpg

    dinner - http://tinypic.com/fkqj2u.jpg

    What a beautiful job you did frying!

    Quoted message said:


    And for your viewing pleasure, here is a pic right outside the door of the
    hunt cabin.

    http://tinypic.com/fkqk5k.jpg

    Very nice -- I felt my blood pressure drop a few points from looking at that
    shot.

    Chris

  11. "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    DH got home around dinner time along with the deer to show me then take to
    the abbatoir. The venison will be ready to pick up likely tomorrow
    evening. We are going to tan the hide as well so will be getting the hide
    back from the abbatoir.


    snip
    How interesting. . .I've butchered many a deer and elk, but never considered
    tanning the hides myself. The hides were sent to the man who did that sort
    of thing and then you could get the tanned hide back or have it made into
    something.
    Janet

  12. ~patches~ said:

    DH got home around dinner time along with the deer to show me then take
    to the abbatoir. The venison will be ready to pick up likely tomorrow
    evening. We are going to tan the hide as well so will be getting the
    hide back from the abbatoir. He also brought fresh pickerel! Here's a
    pic of their catches. I'll post the venison goodies as I make them.

    the deer - http://tinypic.com/fkprig.jpg

    We had the fresh pickerel for a simple dinner of fish with oven baked
    potatoes. DH cooked it the way they cooked it at the hunt camp. As
    always this is one very nice fish!

    fresh catch - http://tinypic.com/fkqgjp.jpg

    dinner - http://tinypic.com/fkqj2u.jpg

    And for your viewing pleasure, here is a pic right outside the door of
    the hunt cabin.

    http://tinypic.com/fkqk5k.jpg

    Unlike some who replied, I'd like to say keep posting those pics,
    Patches. As you say, people don't have to download the links. I like
    the idea of pics.

    Now, on to your posting.....

    YOU KILLED BAMBI !!

    Why is the deer cut down the back? I would have thought it would be
    cut down the front to remove the entrails, but why the back?

    The fish.... great

    The meal? Where are your greens? Those things on the sour cream don't
    count. Eat your greens Patches.

    The view from the hunt cabin is awe inspiring, very beautiful.

    You keep posting your pics, Patches. Don't let detractors put you off.

    Kathy in NZ

  13. Dee Randall said:


    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ward Abbott said:

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:11:03 -0500, ~patches~
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >the deer - http://tinypic

    Your home photo album is more boring than watching videos of your
    sisterinlaw's first birth.


    No one is forcing you to click on any links leading to the pics. So bite
    me!

    I have to laugh reading your "bite me." I read a book/biograph of Mozart's
    letters a long while ago, and he was quite fond of using a phrase, 'bite my
    ass,' as I recall. You're in good company.
    I like your photos. I'd like to see more people post them.
    Dee Dee

    I like them too. One teeeeny suggestion....the closeups are great,
    but it would be nice to see a longer shot too....Sharon

  14. Goomba38 said:
    Dee Randall said:

    I like your photos. I'd like to see more people post them.
    Dee Dee

    Aren't there newsgroups like "binaries" for that sort of thing? I don't
    mind an occasional picture.
    Goomba

    Yes there are. The problem is some people cannot access the binaries
    because of their news servers. This way someone can get the gist of
    what the post is about *without* ever having to view the pic if they
    choose not to. FTR, I *am not* posting actual pictures to this
    newsgroup *only* links to click on if someone chooses to do so.
    Everyone has the *option* whether or not they want to view the pics.
    For those not wanting to see the pics, *don't click* the link. That
    should be a fairly simple concept for most.

  15. Chris said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We had the fresh pickerel for a simple dinner of fish with oven baked
    potatoes. DH cooked it the way they cooked it at the hunt camp. As
    always this is one very nice fish!

    fresh catch - http://tinypic.com/fkqgjp.jpg

    dinner - http://tinypic.com/fkqj2u.jpg

    What a beautiful job you did frying!

    Thanks Chris, he really did do a very nice job. I almost fainted when
    he pulled out the cast iron fry pan! He had a non-stick fry pan on one
    burner and the cast iron on the other so I asked him what he was doing.
    He said he wanted to see if the non-stick would give different
    results. I just smile but secretely cheered. He never uses the cast
    iron at home but at the hunt camp he did and liked it. The cast iron
    gave the nice golden results shown in the pic whereas the non-stick gave
    a darker more of a brownish result something I could have told DH would
    happen but 'tis better he discovered it for himself.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And for your viewing pleasure, here is a pic right outside the door of the
    hunt cabin.

    http://tinypic.com/fkqk5k.jpg

    Very nice -- I felt my blood pressure drop a few points from looking at that
    shot.

    I thought the view from our house was gorgeous as we live on the water
    but I could really handle living where this cabin is. DH and one other
    guy from the group left the dock in the pic by boat and travelled by
    water as far as Huntsville. It sure is a gorgeous area up there.

    Quoted message said:


    Chris

  16. Janet Bostwick said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    DH got home around dinner time along with the deer to show me then take to
    the abbatoir. The venison will be ready to pick up likely tomorrow
    evening. We are going to tan the hide as well so will be getting the hide
    back from the abbatoir.

    snip
    How interesting. . .I've butchered many a deer and elk, but never considered
    tanning the hides myself. The hides were sent to the man who did that sort
    of thing and then you could get the tanned hide back or have it made into
    something.
    Janet


    I think it will be quite interesting and provide a learning opportunity
    as well. I've promised a pair of gloves to one of the guys from the
    group. I'm an accomplished sewer so making the gloves won't be a problem.

  17. Kathy in NZ said:
    ~patches~ said:

    DH got home around dinner time along with the deer to show me then take
    to the abbatoir. The venison will be ready to pick up likely tomorrow
    evening. We are going to tan the hide as well so will be getting the
    hide back from the abbatoir. He also brought fresh pickerel! Here's a
    pic of their catches. I'll post the venison goodies as I make them.

    the deer - http://tinypic.com/fkprig.jpg

    We had the fresh pickerel for a simple dinner of fish with oven baked
    potatoes. DH cooked it the way they cooked it at the hunt camp. As
    always this is one very nice fish!

    fresh catch - http://tinypic.com/fkqgjp.jpg

    dinner - http://tinypic.com/fkqj2u.jpg

    And for your viewing pleasure, here is a pic right outside the door of
    the hunt cabin.

    http://tinypic.com/fkqk5k.jpg

    Unlike some who replied, I'd like to say keep posting those pics,
    Patches. As you say, people don't have to download the links. I like
    the idea of pics.

    Now, on to your posting.....

    YOU KILLED BAMBI !!

    I didn't kill bambi, the guys did. Unlike some hunters, we will use the
    meat for food. A surprising number of hunters go for the thrill of
    the kill only 🙁

    Quoted message said:

    Why is the deer cut down the back? I would have thought it would be
    cut down the front to remove the entrails, but why the back?

    It is cut down the front not the back. The entrails were removed at the
    hunt camp.

    Quoted message said:


    The fish.... great

    The meal? Where are your greens? Those things on the sour cream don't
    count. Eat your greens Patches.

    I usually do. Last night was just a simple meal because neither of us
    were very hungry but DH just had to have that fish.

    Quoted message said:


    The view from the hunt cabin is awe inspiring, very beautiful.

    You keep posting your pics, Patches. Don't let detractors put you off.

    Thanks Kathy 🙂

    Quoted message said:


    Kathy in NZ

  18. "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Janet Bostwick wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    snip
    How interesting. . .I've butchered many a deer and elk, but never
    considered tanning the hides myself. The hides were sent to the man who
    did that sort of thing and then you could get the tanned hide back or
    have it made into something.
    Janet


    I think it will be quite interesting and provide a learning opportunity as
    well. I've promised a pair of gloves to one of the guys from the group.
    I'm an accomplished sewer so making the gloves won't be a problem.

    I can't recall. . .how many pair of gloves can you get from a white tail
    deer. . .is it 2?
    Janet

  19. Janet Bostwick said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Janet Bostwick wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    snip
    How interesting. . .I've butchered many a deer and elk, but never
    considered tanning the hides myself. The hides were sent to the man who
    did that sort of thing and then you could get the tanned hide back or
    have it made into something.
    Janet

    I think it will be quite interesting and provide a learning opportunity as
    well. I've promised a pair of gloves to one of the guys from the group.
    I'm an accomplished sewer so making the gloves won't be a problem.

    I can't recall. . .how many pair of gloves can you get from a white tail
    deer. . .is it 2?
    Janet


    Honestly, I don't know. I'll find out once I start making them. Always
    an adventure going on here 🙂

  20. biig said:


    Dee Randall said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ward Abbott wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:11:03 -0500, ~patches~
    ><[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>the deer - http://tinypic
    >
    >
    >Your home photo album is more boring than watching videos of your
    >sisterinlaw's first birth.

    No one is forcing you to click on any links leading to the pics. So bite
    me!

    I have to laugh reading your "bite me." I read a book/biograph of Mozart's
    letters a long while ago, and he was quite fond of using a phrase, 'bite my
    ass,' as I recall. You're in good company.
    I like your photos. I'd like to see more people post them.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Dee Dee

    I like them too. One teeeeny suggestion....the closeups are great,
    but it would be nice to see a longer shot too....Sharon

    Sharon, I'm glad you like the pics 🙂 I don't alter the size of the pic
    after downloading from the camera. The problem with longer shots when
    it comes to food is a loss of detail. I'm also trying to be careful not
    to include personally identifying artifacts such as people, decor, etc
    for privacy reasons. Long shots would be very difficult with the size
    of my kitchen as well.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.