decided to make it myself [new crankset]

zanrock

Apr 16, 2013
morning new to the site my name is richard but go by zanrock since rocky j has been taken. i have seen alot of "do they make....or do they have" and after alot of frustration and no warm welcome from trek and sram i have decided with some help to make a 52 teeth triple crankset for my bike. i own a 2010 trek fuel ex6 and love the bike it is nice on the road [air/hydraulic suspension that is adjustable] and is great for the trails, but the top end is limited. i would love to buy a real good road bike, but i dont have the funds and the hybrids that i found do not have big gears, so i did checking and fitting and found that because of my back wheel frame width, the crank that came with the bike is the only one that fits. so the next step was talk to trek well that went not well they basically said it's a mountain bike you can't make it a road bike and that nothing was available and theyll void my warrantys etc.like i said it didnot go well [isnt that how mountain bikes became, turning a road bike into some for dual purpose] then my local bike dealer in cranford n.j. who is also a sram rep talked to them and to our surprise that to was horrible. see if i bought a walmart bike i can put what ever gearset i want on it and no one would blink at it, but this bike, the rear trailing arms are so wide and offseted noting will fit. i want more speed and more dual purpose [already mounted thinner tires 1200 miles ago] well like i said i have decided to make it myself. the project is in the works. i for now have decided to talk about it and if i find good replies i will talk about it step by step but i may need to find the correct forum for this. thanks for reading rocky

Originally Posted by zanrock .

i have seen alot of "do they make....or do they have" and after alot of frustration and no warm welcome from trek and sram i have decided with some help to make a 52 teeth triple crankset for my bike. i own a 2010 trek fuel ex6 and love the bike it is nice on the road [air/hydraulic suspension that is adjustable] and is great for the trails, but the top end is limited. i would love to buy a real good road bike, but i dont have the funds and the hybrids that i found do not have big gears, so i did checking and fitting and found that because of my back wheel frame width, the crank that came with the bike is the only one that fits. so the next step was talk to trek well that went not well they basically said it's a mountain bike you can't make it a road bike and that nothing was available and theyll void my warrantys etc.like i said it didnot go well [isnt that how mountain bikes became, turning a road bike into some for dual purpose] then my local bike dealer in cranford n.j. who is also a sram rep talked to them and to our surprise that to was horrible. see if i bought a walmart bike i can put what ever gearset i want on it and no one would blink at it, but this bike, the rear trailing arms are so wide and offseted noting will fit. i want more speed and more dual purpose [already mounted thinner tires 1200 miles ago] well like i said i have decided to make it myself. the project is in the works. i for now have decided to talk about it and if i find good replies i will talk about it step by step but i may need to find the correct forum for this. thanks for reading rocky
Just how wide are the stays on your Trek?

I presume that you have tried a 46t chainring, already ...

Shimano makes a 48t 104BCD chainring which may fit on your crankset.

FWIW. Here is an old 26" Hardtail frame onto which I mounted a Road crank + 700c wheels, etc. ...

A "normal" Double Road crank mounted on its prescribed BB spindle would not fit because of the problem you are experiencing ... but, I simply (?) needed to choose-and-use a BB with the longer spindle which would normally be used to mount a Triple crankset.

Last Fall, for cosmetic reasons, I swapped the particular ISIS crankset for an FSA MegaExo ... I needed to use a Triple Road crankset sans the Granny (but, the Granny could certainly be re-installed & used if I felt a need) ...

• alternatives are the CAMPAGNOLO & SHIMANO Triple Road cranksets, of course

BTW. Another frame which I think is only spec'd for a 44t (?) chainring is the SURLY KARATE MONKEY -- a longer BB spindle may be able to fix THAT issue & allow the use of a Road crankset on it, too.

If a contemporary Road Triple doesn't fit, then you may have to resort to a SQUARE TAPER crank & BB ...

• older (¿pre-2004?) 110BCD cranks were typically Granny-capable; so, it's just a matter of getting a spindle which is appropriately long.

you know my bike guy had me look at that before i started this. the 4 arm cranksets are limited to like 46 or 48 teeth and i wanted larger. the 5 arm cranksets offer alot more so he [my bike guy] helped by comming up with different brands and even with outside shimming because they do not make a B/B with a wider offset nothing would fit without extending the crankshaft itself. so we decided to go with a truvativ elita gxp gigapipe with 175 arms because i was able to get 2 for under $40 us so what could i lose for that money. it is a 52 39 30 and the range seems perfect for me so i can do road trail and some climbing. enough said FYI we have started at my friends shop and will do up dates and see if i can post pictures of the job

i am sure there is a better section for this but the damage is done the cranshaft was cut we made a sleeve and extended it for the origional 5 1/16 inches to the new lenght of 6 1/8 inches and will weld it later this week. i also have worked on the shims one on the drive side and 2 for the left. one is a shim and the other is a collar. soon i can have this back together and start riding and make adjustments [i am pretty sure of that]. oh last is found some extra chain [pc951] i need to add some links when were ready and i will get a new chain later rocky

Originally Posted by zanrock .

i am sure there is a better section for this but the damage is done the cranshaft was cut we made a sleeve and extended it for the origional 5 1/16 inches to the new lenght of 6 1/8 inches and will weld it later this week. i also have worked on the shims one on the drive side and 2 for the left. one is a shim and the other is a collar. soon i can have this back together and start riding and make adjustments [i am pretty sure of that]. oh last is found some extra chain [pc951] i need to add some links when were ready and i will get a new chain later rocky
Okay, I'm an inquiring mind ...

• what will the Q-factor be of the finished ZANROCK crankset?

BTW. If you can, post pictures of the underside of the bike showing the installed crankset's offset from the rear stays ...

It's just about done it got welded by me on thursday and my friend took it back to the machine shop friday to clean it up. he said there was a real slight wobble and cutting it a extra 15 thousands got it close to true. monday i'll repress it back on the drive side and start fitting and shimming. i have some pics that i put on my photobucket account and i will try to do it then on monday [this weekend is busy] also i guess i should go place this on the mountain bike forums side [let me know or leave it here] cant wait to try it

I moved the piece to mountain bikes and have included 3 pictures for now thanks for following Rocky j

zanrock said:
I moved the piece to mountain bikes and have included 3 pictures for now thanks for following  Rocky j
can you post the link for those pics ?

if you go to the mountain bike part of the forum youll see 3 pics under i decided to make it myself