I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
dike rider.
Mountain Bikes · Public discussion
Death of a 3 speeder
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Mountain Bikes
- Published
- 1 April 2006
- Last activity
- 27 April 2006
- Original author
- Email address hidden
- Posts
- 11
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 350
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
<[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
dike rider.kinda un-ceremonious don't you think?
Quoted message said:
-
Quoted message said:
I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
dike rider.Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here in
NYC..../s
-
Scott Gordo said:
Quoted message said:
I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
dike rider.Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here in
NYC..../s
It depends on the year. Schwinn 3 speeds either have a SA or an SA
knock off on them, shunning [censored]. My '78 Speedster has a rare
"Schwinn Approved" Austrian knock-off that was only manufactured for
one run in '78. I have a few SA's lying around, including a '61.JD
JD
-
JD said:
Scott Gordo said:
Quoted message said:
I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
dike rider.Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here in
NYC..../s
It depends on the year. Schwinn 3 speeds either have a SA or an SA
knock off on them, shunning [censored]. My '78 Speedster has a rare
"Schwinn Approved" Austrian knock-off that was only manufactured for
one run in '78. I have a few SA's lying around, including a '61.JD
Austrian knock-off, eh? Wonder if it's a Sachs?
/s
-
Scott Gordo said:
JD said:
Scott Gordo said:
[email hidden] wrote:
> I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
> speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
> on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
> you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
> repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
> on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
> the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
> grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
> to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
> make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
> dike rider.Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here in
NYC..../s
It depends on the year. Schwinn 3 speeds either have a SA or an SA
knock off on them, shunning [censored]. My '78 Speedster has a rare
"Schwinn Approved" Austrian knock-off that was only manufactured for
one run in '78. I have a few SA's lying around, including a '61.JD
Austrian knock-off, eh? Wonder if it's a Sachs?
/s
No, it's not a Sachs. Chris Brown at Brown's Cycles in GJ and I were
poring over an old hub service guide he has, looking for an exploded
view on a Sachs Torpedo and I saw a listing of manufacturers for SA and
licensed knock-offs. One listing was for the Austrian Schwin Approved
and showed it had only production run. I can't remember who the
manufacturer was though.JD
-
JD said:
Scott Gordo said:
JD said:
Scott Gordo wrote:
> [email hidden] wrote:
> > I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
> > speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
> > on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
> > you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
> > repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
> > on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
> > the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
> > grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
> > to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
> > make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
> > dike rider.
>
> Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here in
> NYC....
>
> /sIt depends on the year. Schwinn 3 speeds either have a SA or an SA
knock off on them, shunning [censored]. My '78 Speedster has a rare
"Schwinn Approved" Austrian knock-off that was only manufactured for
one run in '78. I have a few SA's lying around, including a '61.JD
Austrian knock-off, eh? Wonder if it's a Sachs?
/s
No, it's not a Sachs. Chris Brown at Brown's Cycles in GJ and I were
poring over an old hub service guide he has, looking for an exploded
view on a Sachs Torpedo and I saw a listing of manufacturers for SA and
licensed knock-offs. One listing was for the Austrian Schwin Approved
and showed it had only production run. I can't remember who the
manufacturer was though.JD
Hmm. Well, glad to hear it's still in action. One thing I can say for
SA's and 3-speeds in general is that even when they're beaters/clukers,
they're always classy rides./s
/s
-
Scott Gordo said:
JD said:
Scott Gordo said:
JD wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > [email hidden] wrote:
> > > I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer run. The 3
> > > speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So I start
> > > on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let me tell
> > > you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel off to
> > > repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute flat fix
> > > on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee hours of
> > > the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10 minutes and
> > > grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run. I needed
> > > to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and six will
> > > make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other Dutch
> > > dike rider.
> >
> > Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here in
> > NYC....
> >
> > /s
>
> It depends on the year. Schwinn 3 speeds either have a SA or an SA
> knock off on them, shunning [censored]. My '78 Speedster has a rare
> "Schwinn Approved" Austrian knock-off that was only manufactured for
> one run in '78. I have a few SA's lying around, including a '61.
>
> JDAustrian knock-off, eh? Wonder if it's a Sachs?
/s
No, it's not a Sachs. Chris Brown at Brown's Cycles in GJ and I were
poring over an old hub service guide he has, looking for an exploded
view on a Sachs Torpedo and I saw a listing of manufacturers for SA and
licensed knock-offs. One listing was for the Austrian Schwin Approved
and showed it had only production run. I can't remember who the
manufacturer was though.JD
Hmm. Well, glad to hear it's still in action. One thing I can say for
SA's and 3-speeds in general is that even when they're beaters/clukers,
they're always classy rides./s
It's the utilitarian nature of them that I enjoy the most. Not so many
gears that they are intimidating, yet enough to get around town with
(in most cases). I think they are the perfect town bike/grocery
getter/short distance commuter.JD
-
"JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Scott Gordo said:
JD said:
Scott Gordo wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > Scott Gordo wrote:
> > > [email hidden] wrote:
> > > > I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer
run. The 3Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So
I startQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let
me tellQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel
off toQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute
flat fixQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee
hours ofQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10
minutes andQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run.
I neededQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and
six willQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other
DutchQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > dike rider.
> > >
> > > Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here
inQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > NYC....
> > >
> > > /s
> >
> > It depends on the year. Schwinn 3 speeds either have a SA or an
SAQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > knock off on them, shunning [censored]. My '78 Speedster has a rare
> > "Schwinn Approved" Austrian knock-off that was only manufactured
forQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > one run in '78. I have a few SA's lying around, including a '61.
> >
> > JD
>
> Austrian knock-off, eh? Wonder if it's a Sachs?
>
> /sNo, it's not a Sachs. Chris Brown at Brown's Cycles in GJ and I were
poring over an old hub service guide he has, looking for an exploded
view on a Sachs Torpedo and I saw a listing of manufacturers for SA
andQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
licensed knock-offs. One listing was for the Austrian Schwin Approved
and showed it had only production run. I can't remember who the
manufacturer was though.JD
Hmm. Well, glad to hear it's still in action. One thing I can say for
SA's and 3-speeds in general is that even when they're beaters/clukers,
they're always classy rides./s
It's the utilitarian nature of them that I enjoy the most. Not so many
gears that they are intimidating, yet enough to get around town with
(in most cases). I think they are the perfect town bike/grocery
getter/short distance commuter.JD
With gas at $3.00/gal, that's what I'll use my Schwinn
Speedster for starting next week whenever possible.--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA
(Remove XSPAM) -
Zilla said:
"JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Scott Gordo said:
JD wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > JD wrote:
> > > Scott Gordo wrote:
> > > > [email hidden] wrote:
> > > > > I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer
run. The 3Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > > speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So
I startQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > > on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let
me tellQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > > you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel
off toQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > > repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute
flat fixQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > > on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee
hours ofQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > > the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10
minutes andQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > > grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run.
I neededQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > > to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and
six willQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > > make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other
DutchQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > > dike rider.
> > > >
> > > > Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here
inQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > > NYC....
> > > >
> > > > /s
> > >
> > > It depends on the year. Schwinn 3 speeds either have a SA or an
SAQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > knock off on them, shunning [censored]. My '78 Speedster has a rare
> > > "Schwinn Approved" Austrian knock-off that was only manufactured
forQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> > > one run in '78. I have a few SA's lying around, including a '61.
> > >
> > > JD
> >
> > Austrian knock-off, eh? Wonder if it's a Sachs?
> >
> > /s
>
>
> No, it's not a Sachs. Chris Brown at Brown's Cycles in GJ and I were
> poring over an old hub service guide he has, looking for an exploded
> view on a Sachs Torpedo and I saw a listing of manufacturers for SA
andQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> licensed knock-offs. One listing was for the Austrian Schwin Approved
> and showed it had only production run. I can't remember who the
> manufacturer was though.
>
> JDHmm. Well, glad to hear it's still in action. One thing I can say for
SA's and 3-speeds in general is that even when they're beaters/clukers,
they're always classy rides./s
It's the utilitarian nature of them that I enjoy the most. Not so many
gears that they are intimidating, yet enough to get around town with
(in most cases). I think they are the perfect town bike/grocery
getter/short distance commuter.JD
With gas at $3.00/gal, that's what I'll use my Schwinn
Speedster for starting next week whenever possible.--
- ZillaThere's a Speedster fanatic in the city I live in who has about a dozen
of them. I met him at the local Schwinn dealer who has been in
business with Schwinn through thick and now thin for years. They
consign old bikes and usually have a few vintage Schwinns in the
consignment rack. With the waning availability of old balloon tire
Schwinns, the Schwinn three speeds are begining to get a lot more
popular as utilitarian/cruiser bikes.JD
-
JD said:
Zilla said:
"JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Scott Gordo wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > Scott Gordo wrote:
> > > JD wrote:
> > > > Scott Gordo wrote:
> > > > > [email hidden] wrote:
> > > > > > I walked into the bike room to grab one to ride for a beer
run. The 3Quoted message said:
> > > > > > speed with the rank has a flat and so does the Schwinn MTB. So
I startQuoted message said:
> > > > > > on the 3 speed with the rack since I got 54 returns. Well let
me tellQuoted message said:
> > > > > > you when you have to dismantle half the bike to get the wheel
off toQuoted message said:
> > > > > > repair a flat its no fun any more. I'll stick with a 10 minute
flat fixQuoted message said:
> > > > > > on a MTB. Trash that dame Dutch 3 speed fast in the dark wee
hours ofQuoted message said:
> > > > > > the early morning. Well I fixed the flat on the MTB in 10
minutes andQuoted message said:
> > > > > > grab the backpack full of returns and I'm off on the beer run.
I neededQuoted message said:
> > > > > > to get the bke count down anyway one down at least 2 to go and
six willQuoted message said:
> > > > > > make a nice bike number. And the next one to go is that other
DutchQuoted message said:
> > > > > > dike rider.
> > > > >
> > > > > Are they Sturmey Archers? Those things are reeeeal popular here
inQuoted message said:
> > > > > NYC....
> > > > >
> > > > > /s
> > > >
> > > > It depends on the year. Schwinn 3 speeds either have a SA or an
SAQuoted message said:
> > > > knock off on them, shunning [censored]. My '78 Speedster has a rare
> > > > "Schwinn Approved" Austrian knock-off that was only manufactured
forQuoted message said:
> > > > one run in '78. I have a few SA's lying around, including a '61.
> > > >
> > > > JD
> > >
> > > Austrian knock-off, eh? Wonder if it's a Sachs?
> > >
> > > /s
> >
> >
> > No, it's not a Sachs. Chris Brown at Brown's Cycles in GJ and I were
> > poring over an old hub service guide he has, looking for an exploded
> > view on a Sachs Torpedo and I saw a listing of manufacturers for SA
andQuoted message said:
> > licensed knock-offs. One listing was for the Austrian Schwin Approved
> > and showed it had only production run. I can't remember who the
> > manufacturer was though.
> >
> > JD
>
> Hmm. Well, glad to hear it's still in action. One thing I can say for
> SA's and 3-speeds in general is that even when they're beaters/clukers,
> they're always classy rides.
>
> /sIt's the utilitarian nature of them that I enjoy the most. Not so many
gears that they are intimidating, yet enough to get around town with
(in most cases). I think they are the perfect town bike/grocery
getter/short distance commuter.JD
With gas at $3.00/gal, that's what I'll use my Schwinn
Speedster for starting next week whenever possible.--
- ZillaThere's a Speedster fanatic in the city I live in who has about a dozen
of them. I met him at the local Schwinn dealer who has been in
business with Schwinn through thick and now thin for years. They
consign old bikes and usually have a few vintage Schwinns in the
consignment rack. With the waning availability of old balloon tire
Schwinns, the Schwinn three speeds are begining to get a lot more
popular as utilitarian/cruiser bikes.JD
They're a lot easier to ride than those new Schwinn "Chopper" bikes
too. Will any of those make it past mile 3? I think not.
Hack-phooie!
In all fairness, should really have "" around Schwinn too....
/s
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.