UK and Europe · Public discussion

Day 4 of Welsh Wanderings

Started by Steph Peters · · Last activity · 7 posts · 374 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
18 September 2004
Last activity
20 September 2004
Original author
Steph Peters
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
374
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Forgot to put a carrier bag over my cloth saddle yesterday and it rained
    during the night, so it's soggy bum day today (Friday).

    12.30 pm Penmaenmawr promenade I'm sitting on a bench in front of a closed
    cafe and amusements looking at a beautiful view in the sunshine of Anglesey
    and Puffin Island to the left and Llandudno west shore with Great Orme
    behind it to the right. It's a little bit windy, but on the whole a good
    day for cycling.

    There were some quiet lanes on the way out of Llandudno but not exactly
    flat - I was off and pushing after no more than 2 miles. The road crosses
    the river into Conwy on a dual carriageway. However there's an old
    suspension bridge owned by the National Trust which is better, even if they
    do insist on cyclists walking. The marked cycle route goes along the shore
    past the marina and then through a new housing estate to avoid the town.
    Then it becomes a shared use path alongside the A55 dual carriageway, with
    the railway between the road and the sea. Normally I'd prefer to use the
    road, but not in this case. There were no pedestrians to share with, and
    there are no side turnings, so the usual hazards of shared use paths don't
    apply. The A55 is a motorway in all but name which doesn't allow for a
    cyclist doing 10mph.

    14.00 pm A cafe in Llanfairfechan Aaaargh!! That felt like the most
    dangerous thing I've ever done on a bicycle. At the west end of Penmaenmawr
    bay there is a headland where the railway disappears into one tunnel and
    the westbound side of the dual carriageway into another. The road eastbound
    has been hacked out of the rock. As bikes (and pedestrians) aren't allowed
    in the tunnel I thought there would be a shared use path alongside the
    road, with a safety barrier, like leaving Conwy. In fact the path for bikes
    (and animals!) goes between the two parts of the road, so you have to cross
    the road on foot. Ater cycling up and over the part of the headland that
    contains the tunnel, I knew I'd have to sprint across the road again. But
    what I didn't expect was to then have to cycle down half a mile of the
    road, being pursued and overtaken by the traffic from the tunnel doing 70
    mph and more. At least it was downhill so I engaged top gear and went flat
    out, praying that for a side turning before the end of the hill. After
    about half a mile there's a bus pull in with foot access from a side road.
    My legs are all wobbly so I'm having a stiff pot of tea to calm my nerves.

    23.00 Bangor
    After leaving Llanfairfechan the signed route to Bangor is along nice quiet
    country lanes. So quiet, that there is grass growing down the middle and my
    left leg was in the greenery in the hedgerow. It was too warm to put longs
    on so I now have nettle stings down one leg from the bottom of my shorts to
    my socks.

    On the outskirts of Bangor the route does one of those diversions to use a
    lane and path that takes 4 miles to avoid 1 mile of a main road. At least
    it was downhill in my direction.

    Got what seemed to be the next to last room in Bangor.

    Total for the day 24 miles, all sunny.

    Steph Peters
    delete invalid from <[email hidden]> Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:41:11 +
    0100

    === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

  2. Quoted message said:

    Forgot to put a carrier bag over my cloth saddle yesterday and it rained
    during the night, so it's soggy bum day today (Friday).

    Ooherr, soggybum is not nice.

    snippitee, snip, snip..

    Sounds a mixed trip. Glad you survived the busy traffic. Good report.

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Steph Peters said:

    14.00 pm A cafe in Llanfairfechan Aaaargh!! That felt like the most
    dangerous thing I've ever done on a bicycle.

    Eeek! That reminds me of those tunnels some years ago (must've been from
    when I was living in Sheffield). I was going to a conference in Dublin,
    so I thought I'd take a ferry from Liverpool. But when I arrived there,
    it turned out there were no such ferries, so I had to pedal as quickly
    as reasonably possible over to Holyhead.

    I don't recollect anything as scary as you describe, but I did have
    to improvise for some of the tunnels, and I think I did some things
    that the road signs suggested I shouldn't.

    --
    Nick Kew

  4. (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) said:
    Quoted message said:

    Forgot to put a carrier bag over my cloth saddle yesterday and it
    rained during the night, so it's soggy bum day today (Friday).

    w> Ooherr, soggybum is not nice.
    Fortunately it was a nice day so it dried within half an hour.

    w> Sounds a mixed trip.

    Yees it has been mixed, but the reports probably haven't conveyed the
    enormous sense of achievement. I'm a very overweight 46 year old whose
    normal cycling is 40 miles a week of errands around flat Manchester. There
    was a time when I was a lot thinner and fitter, and could do 100 miles in a
    day, but that's 10 years ago now. I really didn't know how much I can do
    and for how long.

    I've decided to go home on Monday. I will have covered 130 miles in the
    week, mostly against the wind, on more hilly terrain than I'm used to and
    most of it with luggage. I'm well chuffed.

    Steph Peters
    delete invalid from <[email hidden]> Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:22:14 +
    0100

    === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

  5. [email hidden] (Nick Kew) wrote:

    n> In article <[email hidden]. uk.invalid>, Steph Peters

    n vizier@o2. co.uk.invalid said:
    Quoted message said:

    14.00 pm A cafe in Llanfairfechan Aaaargh!! That felt like the most
    dangerous thing I've ever done on a bicycle.

    n> Eeek! That reminds me of those tunnels some years ago (must've been
    n> from when I was living in Sheffield). I was going to a conference in
    n> Dublin, so I thought I'd take a ferry from Liverpool. But when I
    n> arrived there, it turned out there were no such ferries, so I had to
    n> pedal as quickly as reasonably possible over to Holyhead.

    n> I don't recollect anything as scary as you describe, but I did have to
    n> improvise for some of the tunnels, and I think I did some things that
    n> the road signs suggested I shouldn't.

    There's a tunnel at Conwy which is easily avoided using the old bridge. The
    other tunnels are the one I described at Penmaenmawr and one between Conwy
    and Penmaenmawr. That now has a shared use path around it that seems safe;
    you probably went over the Sychnant Pass instead.

    The tunnel to the west of Penmaenmawr has indicator lights over the lanes
    so that the traffic direction in individual lanes can be changed, which
    must predate the dual carriageway. I was last there in 1986, before the new
    road was built (or maybe it only went as far as Colwyn Bay). Although I was
    driving then I do have this recollection of wondering what forbidden
    traffic was supposed to do, since the tunnel was the only road and the
    alternative route via Betws-y-Coed must be at least 30 mountainous miles
    further.

    I reckon you must have gone through the tunnel, maybe on a footpath

    Steph Peters
    delete invalid from <[email hidden]> Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:23:14 +
    0100

    === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

  6. Quoted message said:

    Yees it has been mixed, but the reports probably haven't conveyed the
    enormous sense of achievement. I'm a very overweight 46 year old whose
    normal cycling is 40 miles a week of errands around flat Manchester.

    being a 45-year-old fatbird in Norfolk, I do understand - you can be well
    chuffed :-)

    Quoted message said:

    There
    was a time when I was a lot thinner and fitter

    Ah yes... I have pics of me when I was a size 8-10....

    Quoted message said:

    I really didn't know how much I can do
    and for how long.

    I surprised myself in France. It's nice when that happens :-0

    Quoted message said:

    I've decided to go home on Monday. I will have covered 130 miles in the
    week, mostly against the wind, on more hilly terrain than I'm used to and
    most of it with luggage. I'm well chuffed.

    So you should be. Now - when you want to do that cycle tour of Norfolk, we can
    do it Tea Shoppe to Tea Shoppe ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

  7. Steph Peters said:


    14.00 pm A cafe in Llanfairfechan Aaaargh!! That felt like the most
    dangerous thing I've ever done on a bicycle. At the west end of Penmaenmawr
    bay there is a headland where the railway disappears into one tunnel and
    the westbound side of the dual carriageway into another. The road eastbound
    has been hacked out of the rock. As bikes (and pedestrians) aren't allowed
    in the tunnel I thought there would be a shared use path alongside the
    road, with a safety barrier, like leaving Conwy. In fact the path for bikes
    (and animals!) goes between the two parts of the road, so you have to cross
    the road on foot. Ater cycling up and over the part of the headland that
    contains the tunnel, I knew I'd have to sprint across the road again. But
    what I didn't expect was to then have to cycle down half a mile of the
    road, being pursued and overtaken by the traffic from the tunnel doing 70
    mph and more. At least it was downhill so I engaged top gear and went flat
    out, praying that for a side turning before the end of the hill. After
    about half a mile there's a bus pull in with foot access from a side road.
    My legs are all wobbly so I'm having a stiff pot of tea to calm my nerves.


    http://www.conwyctc.fsnet.co.uk/pages/cyclg_penyclip.htm

    The walkers in the first photo are my son and I.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.