HardcoreCokerRider said:*The New York Unicycle Club meets twice a month. At today's meeting, I
watched Dave Lowell (D5) hop up a flight of ten stairs. To be honest,
I wasn't sure that he was going to make it all the way to the top, but
he pulled it off splendidly and deserves much congratulations. The
last club meeting was the first time Dave had succesfully hopped up
the smaller (4 stair) flight and now he's alreeady doing 10 stairs!
Dave has been working hard at developing his skills and it's great to
watch his amazing progress... it's an inspiration for us old guys. *
Wow, I made the headline news! Thanks, Andrew. I'm a bit shy and
wouldn't have posted this! But it's fun to announce my progress to the
world and get such nice comments from my friends here. Thanks
everybody.
I've been riding for two years and two months. All my skills seem to be
coming together now. Finally! (hey, I'm almost old -- and a slow
learner). It's a really exciting time for me. I think I will be able
to hop higher soon (more height). And sometimes when hopping down
steps, I hop off the second step instead of the bottom step. I'll work
up to the third and fourth step. And I see idling (hey, I never really
practiced it) and one foot riding in my near future too, I think. My
core riding skills (basic riding, better control, basic MUni, and basic
hopping) have improved and solidified such that I think I will continue
to progress rapidly for a while. Also, my confidence level has gone way
up. So, I'm trying more things. And I find that some of those things
are in the realm of possibility!
I've had many excellent teachers along the way. Not to make this like
an Academy Award speech (especially since my riding certainly isn't
going to win any awards soon), but...
I'd like to thank the following people for their unicycling pointers and
encouragement...
Jeff Prosa, Brian Maw, Joe Merrill, Dave Stockton, David Stone, (and for
a short time...) Zach Jucha, and jediunicyclist (Edwin).
And in a category all their own (these people inspire me to "go for it"
-- although I will never have their level of skill or fearlessness -- at
least not on a Coker)...
Brian MacKenzie and Andrew (HCR).
And thanks Evan (total uni) for his 'cool, fun, and educational video'
(http://tinyurl.com/3plvy). Not only is it fun to watch, but all the
slow-motion parts ended up being educational for me (the pre-hop, the
suicide mount, etc).
Note: the only -bad- thing about buying a Dave Stockton custom Coker
dream machine... it's such a thing of beauty that it's addicting. I
actually stopped working on my MUni skills while I put 450 miles on my
Coker. But now I've found balance. I'm doing Coker, MUni, -and-
trials. And maybe I'll even throw in some Coker MUni.
Okay everybody, I'll give my next status report in two months. See you
then. (and expect an awesome video from me some time)
--
Dave Lowell - _
member of the 'new york unicycle club' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)
-\"you like this friend of yours, which is why you shove him/her into
the mud puddle.\"- - james_potter, describing the true meaning of
friendship
come to brian mackenzie's 'twnr: us release/ride party'
(http://tinyurl.com/6tvvt) at 'ray's mtb' (http://www.raysmtb.com) on
feb 19. 'twnr us release: updated info' (http://tinyurl.com/5tjpj)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave Lowell's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7706
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37279