rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Dartmoor muni weekend 27th-28th May 2006

Started by rob.northcott · · Last activity · 95 posts · 1,750 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
16 January 2006
Last activity
31 May 2006
Original author
rob.northcott
Posts
95
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,750
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 95
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. There is going to be a Dartmoor muni weekend on the last weekend of May
    (bank holiday weekend), which will either be run as a SWUM event or as
    a BMW (does it make a difference?)

    We discussed it briefly at last weekend's unimeet and it seems that
    there is some demand for it, so I have agreed to organise it.

    I know it's a long way off yet, but it would be useful if I could get a
    rough idea of how many people are likely to come, so I can bag some
    camping space, carparking etc (bank holiday weekend can get quite busy
    and we'll probably need to book early). I could also do with an
    indication of what sort of routes to plan - most decent loops from
    Princetown are in the order of 12-15 miles, with a fair amount of
    climbing and not too much chance to bail out part way round. If some
    people want an easier/shorter option please let me know - there are a
    few possibilities for shorter rides or meeting up with a minibus half
    way round but I need to know what the demand will be.

    The routes I will likely use are mostly cross-country style riding, no
    big drops or anything, but it is pretty rocky in places. Most people
    who have a bit of off-road experience will be able to ride most of it.

    So, if you are likely to come:
    - Which day(s) would you ride?
    - What accommodation will you need? (camping field, bunkhouse, B&B)
    - What nights will you be staying?
    - Would you be interested in a shorter/easier ride?

    That's about it for now, more details as they are decided 😄

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
    skydive twice
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  2. Marvellous. I'll be there, assuming my exams* are over, which isn't a
    given.

    Right: Days - friday & saturday camping, riding saturday and sunday,
    with possible night ride on friday/saturday night. Maybe camping sunday
    night as well, but I could probably sort that out myself.
    Accomodation - a camping field would do nicely.
    Rides - silly daft long rides are fine by me.

    You should really come up with a silly name to make it the perfect muni
    weekend...

    John

    *That's the summer exams, not the january ones I'm doing now,
    which are the 7th of 8 lots of exams. I love my course.

    --
    johnhimsworth

    Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and then
    beat you with experience.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  3. I'd love to, since I haven't had my LM 26" Muni on a group excursion or
    Muni Weekend since it was built, and I'd love to see how it goes
    compared to other 26s.

    Unfortunately the last weekend in May is the weekend before my 2nd
    semester exams start here at uni, and since I'm already missing 3 days
    due to BUC 2 weeks beforehand, I can't afford to be away from uni for
    that long... Its a real shame cos I really love these off road
    weekends, hopefully when the weather improves and I can find somewhere
    for us all to stay I'll organise some kind of event near here.

    Loose.

    --
    Loosemoose

    Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
    Officially a  & ~ expert.

    _no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
    Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
    Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  4. Loosemoose said:

    I'd love to, ... Unfortunately the last weekend in May is the weekend
    before my 2nd semester exams start here at uni

    As they used to say when I was doing that type of thing - "if you don't
    know it by then it's too late anyway" :p

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
    skydive twice
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  5. I wouldnt mind coming (have to check exams aswell), I only (ashamed)
    have a 20" kh trials uni so if i go at all iwill prob need a shorter
    route (sorry).

    Mike

    --
    swarbrim

    😄 add me at [email hidden]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  6. I'm hopefully up for this, if it doesn't clash with tons of other
    outdoors stuff I've got going on this year.

    - Which day(s) would you ride?

    maybe Friday, definately Sat and Sunday

    - What accommodation will you need? (camping field, bunkhouse, B&B)

    Can I suggest bivvying would be a fantastic thing. You could then call
    it Dartmoor Unicycle Mountain Bivvi, or DUMB for short. Are there any 2
    day routes so we could ferry up a car/van with everyone's bivvi / wild
    camping gear somewhere near the overnight stop, ride there and camp up?
    I've done this walking on Dartmoor, but I don't remember the route, or
    whether it was bridleways etc. Fantastic way to avoid the need for
    organisational skills or booking campsites, but I guess does slightly
    limit the people coming.

    - What nights will you be staying?

    Fri and Sat, maybe Sunday night, if it'll be easier to get back on
    Monday, or mean a better ride on the Sunday (like John said I could
    sort out Sunday myself).

    - Would you be interested in a shorter/easier ride?

    As long and fast a ride as you can make it is cool by me. I'd say if
    you're expecting many people *always* plan a shorter route, or at least
    a slower group, as you'll have people used to doing 30+ mile muni rides
    and people for whom 5 miles is a long ride.

    As for calling it BMW or not, if you call it BMW, you'll always get
    more people. This means you get people who only ever ride muni once a
    year at BMW (or twice at BMW and BUC). It's more inclusive and makes
    for a bigger event, but more advance organisation required if you're
    going somewhere with map-reading required, where it's hard to bail out
    on routes, or where there are time constraints. It's your call whether
    you want that or not. I didn't for the Peaks Muni Trip, because the
    riding and distances were unsuitable for taking beginners or unfit
    people down, whereas for Phils muni weekend it was fine.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  7. Mark me down as a "maybe", because my longest off-road ride has only
    been about 2 miles and I'm really not sure if I can even manage the
    shorter rides (are we are allowed to stop for rests?). It all depends
    on what experience I build up between now and BUC13.

    - Which day(s) would you ride?
    Saturday and Sunday. Really not sure about the Friday though.

    - What nights will you be staying?
    Saturday night. Don't know about the Friday night though.

    - Would you be interested in a shorter/easier ride?
    See above.

    joemarshall said:

    Can I suggest bivvying would be a fantastic thing.

    Errr, what is "bivvying"? 😕 That word does not appear to be in
    my lexicon.

    Loosemoose said:

    and since I'm already missing 3 days due to BUC 2 weeks beforehand, I
    can't afford to be away from uni for that long...

    You can't afford to be away from your unicycle for 3 days? Man, you are
    addicted!😉

    --
    gkmac

    \"it's a marvellous thing to see, someone in full flight on the
    unicycle.\" - stuart maconie, radio 2
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  8. gkmac said:

    Errr, what is "bivvying"?

    Sleeping in a bivvy bag, which is a sleeping bag intended for use
    outdoors (no tent).

  9. i would be up for it.
    riding: short one perhaps fri, sat and sun also.
    camping: fri, sat and sunday nights
    dont need a shorter ride (unless its fri).
    dont think i would be up for bivvying but only because all of my
    camping gear is car camping stuff i.e. big and heavy

    --
    deadlydes

    Listen to what I mean not what I say
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    deadlydes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4345
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  10. So people want to ride three days then... the original suggestion at
    SWUM was one day but I thought two would be better... I'll probably be
    working Friday :o
    If lots of people want to ride on Friday I'll see what I can sort out.

    Mike and gk, I'll plan some shorter routes. Stopping for rests is not
    a problem. I was planning on having a few stops anyway for the hoppy
    people to pogo around on some rocks. What I think would be nice is if
    we have a group ride that everybody can do, then possibly split into
    fast and slow groups later.

    Joe: You can sleep in a bin liner if you like, I won't stop you 😉
    Seriously though, I'm not sure how practical a two-day route would be
    and how many people would be up for that. It seems a shame to split
    the group up for the whole weekend.

    Klaas: Are you thinking about coming over then? We could call it an
    international muni weekend then 🙂

    --
    rob.northcott

    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
    skydive twice
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  11. rob.northcott said:

    So people want to ride three days then... the original suggestion at
    SWUM was one day but I thought two would be better... I'll probably be
    working Friday :o
    If lots of people want to ride on Friday I'll see what I can sort out.

    Joe: You can sleep in a bin liner if you like, I won't stop you 😉
    Seriously though, I'm not sure how practical a two-day route would be
    and how many people would be up for that. It seems a shame to split
    the group up for the whole weekend.

    At the previous muni weekends I've been to a friday ride has usually
    been either a night ride, or just if people turn up early they go out
    on a ride together. I don't think you need to worry too much about
    taking work off if you don't want to. I'm just coming from a student
    point of view, where taking the whole Friday off and getting an early
    train down is easy, and doesn't cost anything extra, to get more riding
    in.

    You're right bivvying might be a bad idea if we've got a mixed ability
    group. There'll be at least one unicycle bivvying event this summer
    anyway. I just thought of it because I'd done it walking on Dartmoor
    and it was a good thing then. Maybe if I'm feeling stupid I could turn
    up thursday and do an overnight bivvi ride to wherever the campsite
    is.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  12. joemarshall said:

    At the previous muni weekends I've been to a friday ride has usually
    been either a night ride, or just if people turn up early they go out
    on a ride together. I don't think you need to worry too much about
    taking work off if you don't want to. I'm just coming from a student
    point of view, where taking the whole Friday off and getting an early
    train down is easy, and doesn't cost anything extra, to get more riding
    in.

    I should be able to get at least the afternoon off if people want to
    arrive earlier on Friday. I wasn't suggesting I don't WANT to take
    time off, I just hadn't included Friday in the plan.

    joemarshall said:

    I just thought of (bivvying) because I'd done it walking on Dartmoor and
    it was a good thing then.

    Didn't you get covered in lots of big black Dartmoor slugs? Eew, as
    our American friends say.

    --
    rob.northcott

    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
    skydive twice
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  13. joemarshall said:

    Maybe if I'm feeling stupid I could turn up thursday and do an overnight
    bivvi ride to wherever the campsite is.
    Joe

    Maybe you could ride from Nottingham to Dartmoor, and bivvi on the way?
    😉

    --
    paul royle
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    paul royle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5572
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  14. rob.northcott said:

    Klaas: Are you thinking about coming over then? We could call it an
    international muni weekend then 🙂

    No sorry, I'll go to the Dutch MUni weekend in June, and UNICON in
    July/August, my family wouldn't like to see me leave for another
    multiple-day uni event around summer time. I'm occupied that weekend
    anyway. Maybe a next time if there will be one.

  15. I spoke to the campsite people last night and that weekend is filling up
    fast. So I really need to get a pretty close idea of numbers for
    camping ASAP. Also if you're planning to eat in the pub I'll need to
    know so I can book some tables. If it's decent weather, BBQ at my
    place is an option.

    So, any more takers?

    Is this the best place to post this? Any ideas where else I could put
    it to get more response? I'm sure there are more people who would
    probably come.

    Is the date a problem (too soon after BUC?)

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
    skydive twice
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  16. Bah, can't make that weekend. Exams till the 2nd of June, probably stuff
    after that.
    That should actually be my last lot of proper exams, so after then I
    will have lost an excuse to get out of unicycling events.

    John

    --
    johnhimsworth

    Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and then
    beat you with experience.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  17. Count me in, as long as Paul can arrange some decent weather this
    time... 🙂

    Phil

    --
    phil

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  18. phil said:

    as long as Paul can arrange some decent weather this time

    I didn't know he was in control of the weather... so he did that to us
    on purpose last time then... in hindsight it is a bit suspicious that
    it was dry for the ride he came on 😕

    --
    rob.northcott

    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
    skydive twice
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  19. rob.northcott said:

    I didn't know he was in control of the weather... so he did that to us
    on purpose last time then... in hindsight it is a bit suspicious that
    it was dry for the ride he came on 😕

    Why is there no smilie option for "walking away, hands clasped gently
    behind the back, while whistling in an innocent fashion..."?

    Paul.
    (Might come but probably won't camp!)

    --
    paul.selwood
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    paul.selwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3882
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

  20. Possibly, subject to Morris commitments🙂 . Sounds fun.

    --
    Mikefule

    I don't know where I'm going, but I've got to get there soon
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mikefule's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/879
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46116

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.