Bonsoir l'expert cycliste qui s'est rase la barbe depuis quelque temps! Sheldon Brown said:That's not the best way to go, but since it gave the same result in this instance, where's the
problem?
Well, I have 4 bikes and I was looking for a fool proof method that I can use quickly and reliably
on all my bikes.
I told my mechanic the following: put the chain over the biggest cog and big chainwheel without
passing through the derailleur. Then, add 1 link to the shortest way to connect the chain. He did
this and said: "it's too short"!
The problem for me was the difference between links and rivets. I thought 2 rivets equalled 2 links,
but I understand that's not the case.
Anyway, I couldn't convince him to make the chain shorter, though I think the chain is too long,
because I hear the chain rattling when I go over bumps. I think it hits the big chainring when I'm
on the smaller chainring. I ride a 42/53 13-23 D-A group and I'm one of those people who go crazy of
moises while riding, so I mounted a brand new D-A chain just to find out if the chain's length is to
blame for the noise, or that something else is causing it.
BTW: when he judged it using the method recommended by Shimano, I find that the jockey wheels are
not aligned, but that the lower one is behind the upper one, but according to him one mustn't watch
the center of the cage bolts, but the wheels themselves, which makes a difference IMHO.
Sinceres amities, Derk