Crankyfeet said:Hey I'm from Seattle (Eastside though) too. I ride on the Orange-jerseyed team (😉 ). We do the Sunday morning ride around the south end of the lake. Which means our "peloton" can hold up cars on Lake Washington Boulevard for sometimes a mile or so. But I heard that LWB was once horse, carts, and bikes only. At least that's what my team-mates tell me.
I think the major acrimony derives from the fact that cyclists (especially in groups) plough straight through stop signs. This seems to ire drivers (understandably). In Idaho they have different laws which make stop signs into yield signs for cyclists, which would be a good idea in WA if they could introduce it.
BTW Eden - Please come down and pop into the FID thread and post ("This forum is dying" thread) in the Grand Tours forum. Its a general chat thread and there are a few ladies in there. They seem to enjoy the banter. There's a bit of ribbing and pseudo-flirting but its all in jest.:p .
Something tells me you don't look like your avatar - me on the other hand, I look a lot like mine and I'm guessing you can tell which team I ride with
😉 When we all get together we can be a pretty imposing crowd too, but it rarely happens.
The story that I've heard about Lake Washington Blvd is that it was indeed a non-motorized path for many years, then the Olmsteads came along and said they'd design a park, *but* it had to have access for cars..... so they widened and paved 😠 . On the other hand I'll bet you've noticed the "Cars must yield to bicycles" signs that are posted in several places in the park. My husband and I believe that there must still be some type of covenant or something that states that it is a *bike path* first and foremost and we are just allowing cars to drive on it.
I've got some mixed feelings about stop signs. When I'm alone I always at very least track stand them - if there is a car waiting to go I put a foot down. When we do our group rides we generally slow for them, and proceed if there is no traffic, but it would be crazy to expect each rider to stop and take a turn..... I expect that would delay and tick off motorist much, much more. We never run red lights - it seems like a lot of motorist complain about that, but I very, very rarely see it happen. Most cyclist have much more common sense than that.