Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Cut new threads in an existing steel fork?

Started by David Peake · · Last activity · 6 posts · 376 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 June 2007
Last activity
27 June 2007
Original author
David Peake
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
376
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've got a threaded Wound Up fork with a steel steerer. I'd like to install
    it on a slightly smaller frame than the one that it was originally
    installed, but the threading on the fork steerer does not go far enough down
    the steerer for proper installation.

    Is it possible to extend the threading slightly farther down the steerer so
    that I can install it on a small frame?

    Thank you.

  2. David Peake said:

    I've got a threaded Wound Up fork with a steel steerer. I'd like to install
    it on a slightly smaller frame than the one that it was originally
    installed, but the threading on the fork steerer does not go far enough down
    the steerer for proper installation.

    Is it possible to extend the threading slightly farther down the steerer so
    that I can install it on a small frame?

    Thank you.

    I've seen this problem solved with spacers before.

    Chris

  3. Chris Nelson said:
    David Peake said:

    I've got a threaded Wound Up fork with a steel steerer. I'd like to install
    it on a slightly smaller frame than the one that it was originally
    installed, but the threading on the fork steerer does not go far enough down
    the steerer for proper installation.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it possible to extend the threading slightly farther down the steerer so
    that I can install it on a small frame?

    Quoted message said:

    Thank you.

    I've seen this problem solved with spacers before.

    Chris

    Where? On the crown race?

    Spacers won't help if you can't get the adjustable race threaded down
    far enough.

    To answer the OP's question, many shops will cut threads, but sone
    will only do an inch or two, because if the steerer tube is butted,
    you risk putting the stem into an area with the ID smaller or larger
    than 22.2.

  4. Hank Wirtz said:
    Chris Nelson said:

    On Jun 26, 3:45 pm, "David Peake" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've got a threaded Wound Up fork with a steel steerer. I'd like to install
    it on a slightly smaller frame than the one that it was originally
    installed, but the threading on the fork steerer does not go far enough down
    the steerer for proper installation.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is it possible to extend the threading slightly farther down the steerer so
    that I can install it on a small frame?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thank you.

    Quoted message said:

    I've seen this problem solved with spacers before.

    Quoted message said:

    Chris

    Where? On the crown race?

    Spacers won't help if you can't get the adjustable race threaded down
    far enough.

    To answer the OP's question, many shops will cut threads, but sone
    will only do an inch or two, because if the steerer tube is butted,
    you risk putting the stem into an area with the ID smaller or larger
    than 22.2.

    My bad. I was thinking of someone who had a big spacer between the
    adjusting nut and lock nut so they didn't have to cut the steerer.
    Please ignore my previous post.

    Chris

  5. Quoted message said:
    David Peake said:

    I've got a threaded Wound Up fork with a steel steerer. I'd like to install
    it on a slightly smaller frame than the one that it was originally
    installed, but the threading on the fork steerer does not go far enough down
    the steerer for proper installation.
    Is it possible to extend the threading slightly farther down the steerer so
    that I can install it on a small frame?

    Chris Nelson said:

    I've seen this problem solved with spacers before.

    Not if the upper race won't contact the bearing when at the end of the
    threads.

    In theory, thread may be added. In practice, forks are pretty cheap by
    comparison. Campagnolo type piloted fork dies will clear a damaged
    thread but cut new thread poorly. Nice open American dies cut crisp
    clean thread but drift as they are unpiloted. Achieving good thread on
    center is tedious time-consuming work.

    Some columns (Wound Up? don't know) have a rolled (raised) thread, hence
    the stock is too small for a proper cut thread.

    No snappy suggestions, sorry.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  6. On Jun 27, 4:56 am, A Muzi <[email hidden]> wrote:
    . Achieving good thread on

    Quoted message said:

    center is tedious time-consuming work.

    Still, a rewarding job to go through.

    Sergio
    Pisa

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.