Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Cricket Washout - TdF on SBS Early

Started by HughMann · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,878 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
24 July 2005
Last activity
26 July 2005
Original author
HughMann
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,878
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. well its raining in pommie land so SBS has started the TdF coverage early just to trick everyone who set their video recorder for 11.10

    Enjoy whatever you manage to get

    Hugh

  2. On 2005-07-24, HughMann (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:


    well its raining in pommie land so SBS has started the TdF coverage
    early just to trick everyone who set their video recorder for 11.10

    Enjoy whatever you manage to get

    Damn! I got in after the shopping just on 11:10, and the ads were on,
    so I knew they were at least ontime.

    So are they going slowly because of the rain, and not wanting to do a
    Rasmussen, or because of some tactic I haven't yet heard of?

    Hey! Lance needed a help across the line!

    --
    TimC

    Quoted message said:

    So, what do *you* do for a living?


    I sit in a chair, pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers
    while peering at many tiny, colored dots. -- Peter Manders

  3. TimC said:

    On 2005-07-24, HughMann (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    well its raining in pommie land so SBS has started the TdF coverage
    early just to trick everyone who set their video recorder for 11.10

    Enjoy whatever you manage to get

    Damn! I got in after the shopping just on 11:10, and the ads were on,
    so I knew they were at least ontime.

    So are they going slowly because of the rain, and not wanting to do a
    Rasmussen, or because of some tactic I haven't yet heard of?

    Hey! Lance needed a help across the line!

    It's sort of traditional that they take it easy on the last day.It's a
    kind of celebration.
    Wait until they enter paris and you'll see breakaway after breakaway as
    they have one last shot at fame.

    Zoom

  4. Zoom said:


    It's sort of traditional that they take it easy on the last day.It's a
    kind of celebration.
    Wait until they enter paris and you'll see breakaway after breakaway as
    they have one last shot at fame.

    Yeah, most stuff has been decided by now. Last few years though the Green has still been up for grabs. Even this year, Stuey or Robbie could still take it..
    Lance just has to stay upright.

    hippy

  5. What is the deal with cutting off the TDF in its last moments for another 12 months???:eek:

    I have discovered that watching the grass grow next to the pitch is thoroughly more entertaining than watching shots of guys dressed in white standing around chewing gum but it still doesn't beat the last moments of the TDF! what is the deal SBS???

    It's not like anyone would miss anything if they let the TDF run to completion...it's not like anything actually happens in cricket!!!

    nb: this is my personal opinion and doesn't necessarily mean that I think that everyone thinks this way!!!(although it's surprising if they don't)

  6. SBS are a bunch of [censored]!

  7. Shabby said:

    SBS are a bunch of [censored]!


    There is something truly spectacular about an athlete who can sprint following a 3500+km ride...what the hell is spectacular about guys throwing balls, standing around, chewing gum, and advertising hair replacement clinics??? I just don't get it! Please will someone who likes cricket explain it to me?😕

  8. endroll said:

    There is something truly spectacular about an athlete who can sprint following a 3500+km ride...what the hell is spectacular about guys throwing balls, standing around, chewing gum, and advertising hair replacement clinics??? I just don't get it! Please will someone who likes cricket explain it to me?😕

    I'm almost afraid to ask.. but.. what did you guys actually see of the last stage?

    hippy
    - glad he didn't spend money getting to Paris..

  9. hippy said:

    I'm almost afraid to ask.. but.. what did you guys actually see of the last stage?

    hippy
    - glad he didn't spend money getting to Paris..


    2/10ths of 3/5ths of Fcuk all!

  10. hippy said:

    I'm almost afraid to ask.. but.. what did you guys actually see of the last stage?

    hippy
    - glad he didn't spend money getting to Paris..

    they showed a lot of the bit where everhyone rolls into Paris leisurely, then cut to the cricket just after they hit the Champs. We did get to see the lsat lap though.....

    And what's with the crit rules for the last stage......soft...

  11. I have to play devil's advocate here for SBS, I think SBS is going to
    get higher ratings for the Ashes test than it would for the Tour so
    they show the Test. The advertisers help pay the bills so they show the
    higher rating event.

    Is the Tour on the Pay-TV non compete list or can Foxtel bid for the
    rights and show the whole thing live in the future? I think that might
    be a more productive route to take than complaining to SBS.

    At least next year's tour is going to be more watchable due to Lance
    trading in his bike for a zimmer frame...

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    SuperCujo said:

    I have to play devil's advocate here for SBS, I think SBS is going to
    get higher ratings for the Ashes test than it would for the Tour so
    they show the Test.

    That's rather missing the point: they have one-off cricket coverage
    because of strange politics, and when the series ends they'll lose most
    of those viewers. The cycling coverage is more about building a loyal,
    regular audience.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  13. Shane Stanley said:

    That's rather missing the point: they have one-off cricket coverage
    because of strange politics, and when the series ends they'll lose most
    of those viewers. The cycling coverage is more about building a loyal,
    regular audience.

    oh please. i'm absolutely sure i'm not the only person who after the
    last stage of the tour doesn't watch another minute of sbs until next
    year assuming they have it again, of course almost every other sport has
    coverage on both free to air and cable. if it's covered on cable i'll be
    watching it there most likely as typically the coverage is far better in
    terms of viewing time both live and rebroadcast.

    the ashes are completely opportunistic on the part of sbs and will
    result in revenue they would not have otherwise seen. it's a purely
    commerical decision to provide coverage to the largest audience. we can
    all moan about that but the fact is we (as an audience interested in
    cycling coverage) are by *far* the minority here. a sad fact of life.

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    spook said:

    oh please. i'm absolutely sure i'm not the only person who after the
    last stage of the tour doesn't watch another minute of sbs until next
    year assuming they have it again

    So you don't watch any of SBS's other coverage of cycling? I suspect a
    lot of people tuning in for the past three weeks also watch SBS's
    regular highlights packages of other events, and possibly their summer
    cycling show.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    spook said:

    oh please. i'm absolutely sure i'm not the only person who after the
    last stage of the tour doesn't watch another minute of sbs until next
    year assuming they have it again

    So you don't watch any of SBS's other coverage of cycling? I suspect a
    lot of people tuning in for the past three weeks also watch SBS's
    regular highlights packages of other events, and possibly their summer
    cycling show.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  16. Shane Stanley said:


    So you don't watch any of SBS's other coverage of cycling? I suspect a
    lot of people tuning in for the past three weeks also watch SBS's
    regular highlights packages of other events, and possibly their summer
    cycling show.

    the only other cycling show i've seen on sbs is the regular 30 minute
    show on i think sunday morning at 10:30am, a time that i'm rarely (never
    home) and so no i don't watch it. mostly if i'm watching cycling it's on
    cable.

    brett

  17. Shane Stanley said:


    So you don't watch any of SBS's other coverage of cycling? I suspect a
    lot of people tuning in for the past three weeks also watch SBS's
    regular highlights packages of other events, and possibly their summer
    cycling show.

    the only other cycling show i've seen on sbs is the regular 30 minute
    show on i think sunday morning at 10:30am, a time that i'm rarely (never
    home) and so no i don't watch it. mostly if i'm watching cycling it's on
    cable.

    brett

  18. spook said:
    Shane Stanley said:


    So you don't watch any of SBS's other coverage of cycling? I suspect a
    lot of people tuning in for the past three weeks also watch SBS's
    regular highlights packages of other events, and possibly their summer
    cycling show.

    the only other cycling show i've seen on sbs is the regular 30 minute
    show on i think sunday morning at 10:30am, a time that i'm rarely (never
    home) and so no i don't watch it. mostly if i'm watching cycling it's on
    cable.

    brett

    I'm a bit suprised at the amount of complaining about SBS' coverage of
    the Tour. In previous years we only got a half an hour of highlights,
    and even that was really only about 20 minutes after you subtract the
    chit chat that goes on before it. This year has been the most extensive
    coverage I've ever seen. The only sad bit was the anticlimax of the
    shortened last stage, other than that it was great.
    Secondly, I felt a bit let down when Rasmussen didn't do a Riis type
    bike throw. He looked angry enough. I wonder what was said between him
    and the mechanic after the race?

    Zoom

  19. spook said:
    Shane Stanley said:


    So you don't watch any of SBS's other coverage of cycling? I suspect a
    lot of people tuning in for the past three weeks also watch SBS's
    regular highlights packages of other events, and possibly their summer
    cycling show.

    the only other cycling show i've seen on sbs is the regular 30 minute
    show on i think sunday morning at 10:30am, a time that i'm rarely (never
    home) and so no i don't watch it. mostly if i'm watching cycling it's on
    cable.

    brett

    I'm a bit suprised at the amount of complaining about SBS' coverage of
    the Tour. In previous years we only got a half an hour of highlights,
    and even that was really only about 20 minutes after you subtract the
    chit chat that goes on before it. This year has been the most extensive
    coverage I've ever seen. The only sad bit was the anticlimax of the
    shortened last stage, other than that it was great.
    Secondly, I felt a bit let down when Rasmussen didn't do a Riis type
    bike throw. He looked angry enough. I wonder what was said between him
    and the mechanic after the race?

    Zoom

  20. spook said:
    Shane Stanley said:


    So you don't watch any of SBS's other coverage of cycling? I suspect a
    lot of people tuning in for the past three weeks also watch SBS's
    regular highlights packages of other events, and possibly their summer
    cycling show.

    the only other cycling show i've seen on sbs is the regular 30 minute
    show on i think sunday morning at 10:30am, a time that i'm rarely (never
    home) and so no i don't watch it. mostly if i'm watching cycling it's on
    cable.

    brett

    I'm a bit suprised at the amount of complaining about SBS' coverage of
    the Tour. In previous years we only got a half an hour of highlights,
    and even that was really only about 20 minutes after you subtract the
    chit chat that goes on before it. This year has been the most extensive
    coverage I've ever seen. The only sad bit was the anticlimax of the
    shortened last stage, other than that it was great.
    Secondly, I felt a bit let down when Rasmussen didn't do a Riis type
    bike throw. He looked angry enough. I wonder what was said between him
    and the mechanic after the race?

    Zoom

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.