Power meters · Public discussion

CP - staying under 150 TSS

Started by AndROOb · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,582 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Power meters
Published
21 March 2006
Last activity
22 March 2006
Original author
AndROOb
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,582
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I want to train every day, so I need to keep my TSS at or below 150.
    Although it would be good to have a TSS display, can I work out approximately what my TSS will be by keeping an eye on kJ used?

    After a ride today with a TSS of 163.6, and 1131kJ of work, I am thinking if I try and stay at 1000kJ of work, this should(with my current power output) keep me under 150 for TSS.

    Am I on the right track here?

  2. AndROOb said:

    Am I on the right track here?


    Maybe if your current training plan restricts your intensity to a specific range that you're not telling us about. The TSS of a 1000kJ L4 workout will not be anywhere close to the TSS of a 1000kJ L2 workout, however.

  3. frenchyge said:

    Maybe if your current training plan restricts your intensity to a specific range that you're not telling us about. The TSS of a 1000kJ L4 workout will not be anywhere close to the TSS of a 1000kJ L2 workout, however.


    From your response, I think I need to look at more than 1 example of kJ/TSS, although I can do 2x20's with warm-up/down well inside 150 TSS.

    The session today was a 5 mile ride out to a hill(18%), where I did 6x4(L5) at 120%FT,(4mins recovery between), followed by an easy ride home.

    I am presently concentrating on L4/5 in preparation for a 25TT in just under 2 weeks.

  4. AndROOb said:

    From your response, I think I need to look at more than 1 example of kJ/TSS, although I can do 2x20's with warm-up/down well inside 150 TSS.

    The session today was a 5 mile ride out to a hill(18%), where I did 6x4(L5) at 120%FT,(4mins recovery between), followed by an easy ride home.

    I am presently concentrating on L4/5 in preparation for a 25TT in just under 2 weeks.

    I wrote an application for creating PT CSV files for import into CP (for non-PM rides). The app computes and displays the ride summary stats including TSS before it creates the file. You could use the app to do the pro-forma stats for a ride and/or play with the power/duration combinations to get the stats you want. If that would be useful, I'll look around for the link to download it (it's on PSUCycling's website).

  5. AndROOb said:

    From your response, I think I need to look at more than 1 example of kJ/TSS, although I can do 2x20's with warm-up/down well inside 150 TSS.

    The session today was a 5 mile ride out to a hill(18%), where I did 6x4(L5) at 120%FT,(4mins recovery between), followed by an easy ride home.

    I am presently concentrating on L4/5 in preparation for a 25TT in just under 2 weeks.


    your idea isn't a terrible one if you're hitting roughly the same AP/NP across your rides. I found that solid tempo riding around 0.85FT in which I really don't warm-up nor cool down much ... compared to 2x20's with solid warmup and cooldown, often end up (magically) around the same TSS/kJ ratio. In my case, I rough out TSS by multiplying kJ by 0.07 or 70TSS points per 1000 kJ. That gives me TSS to +/- 5 pts.

    Maybe it works for me as I hardly ever do less than L3 ... nor do I do much over upper L4. Real intervals are evil :o

    And yes I know TSS and kJ are not linearly related but the combination of wu/cd, core ride IF^2 and duration often makes it appear so ... and we are talking an aid during the ride only, correct?

    rmur

  6. RapDaddyo said:

    I wrote an application for creating PT CSV files for import into CP (for non-PM rides). The app computes and displays the ride summary stats including TSS before it creates the file. You could use the app to do the pro-forma stats for a ride and/or play with the power/duration combinations to get the stats you want. If that would be useful, I'll look around for the link to download it (it's on PSUCycling's website).


    RD, that would be useful indeed, but I might be knocking on your 'inbox' door for laymans instructions on how to use it.

    rmur, your dead right,this is about a 'ride guide'.

  7. AndROOb said:

    rmur, your dead right,this is about a 'ride guide'.


    I use the following as a 'general guide':

    L2 = IF ~.8, TSS = 65 pts/hr
    L3 = IF ~.9, TSS = 80 pts/hr
    L4 = IF ~.95, TSS = 90 pts/hr
    L5 = IF ~1.0, TSS = 100 pts/hr

  8. AndROOb said:

    RD, that would be useful indeed, but I might be knocking on your 'inbox' door for laymans instructions on how to use it.

    You'll find the link here in the first post cyclingforums.comt312293.html. There is a Readme document in the zip file. Let me know if you have any questions not covered in the readme. It works in both English and Metric, so you shouldn't need to do any conversions. Let me know if you find any bugs.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.