General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Couscous Salad Inquiry

Started by Melba's Jammin' · · Last activity · 28 posts · 557 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 March 2005
Last activity
27 March 2005
Original author
Melba's Jammin'
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
557
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–28 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Melba's Jammin said:

    How do you think couscous (my new friend -- mmmmmm, fiber!) would work
    in a chicken salady thing? I've got leftover birdie from last night's
    dinner. . . . Couscous, chicken, green onion -- do I bind it with
    something or just do a drizzled and mixed dressing? What about adding
    some clementines to it? (Need to use up some hiding out in the fridge.)
    Almonds?

    Talk to me -- I haven't got all day.

    Well, too late this time, but here's a recipe my mom found,
    probably in the Boston Globe. It was surprisingly good.

    Chicken and Saffron Couscous (4)

    This is one of Mom's finds, apparently clipped from the Boston Globe.

    1 generous pinch saffron threads
    1 1/2 c chicken stock (if canned, use half water)
    3/8 c olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 c couscous
    juice of 1 lemon (ca 1/4 c)
    grated zest of 1 lemon
    1 c or more cubed cooked chicken
    1/4 c slivered almonds, lightly toasted
    1/4 c golden raisins or diced dried apricots
    1/2 c diced zucchini
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3 scallions, sliced
    4 Tbsp chopped cilantro

    Put saffron in chicken stock into a medium-sized pot to soak for
    20 minutes or more. Add 2 Tbsp oil and ½ tsp salt; cover and
    bring to a boil. Stir in the couscous cover, and remove from
    heat. Let stand ca 5 minutes or until the liquid has been
    absorbed, then fluff with a fork. While the couscous is still
    warm, mix together the lemon juice and the remaining oil and stir
    into the couscous along with the remaining ingredients. Adjust
    seasoning, adding more salt and pepper to taste.

    --
    Jean B.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, "Jean B." <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    How do you think couscous (my new friend -- mmmmmm, fiber!) would work
    in a chicken salady thing? I've got leftover birdie from last night's
    dinner. . . . Couscous, chicken, green onion -- do I bind it with
    something or just do a drizzled and mixed dressing? What about adding
    some clementines to it? (Need to use up some hiding out in the
    fridge.)
    Almonds?

    Talk to me -- I haven't got all day.

    Well, too late this time, but here's a recipe my mom found,
    probably in the Boston Globe. It was surprisingly good.

    Chicken and Saffron Couscous (4)

    This is one of Mom's finds, apparently clipped from the Boston Globe.

    1 generous pinch saffron threads
    1 1/2 c chicken stock (if canned, use half water)
    3/8 c olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 c couscous
    juice of 1 lemon (ca 1/4 c)
    grated zest of 1 lemon
    1 c or more cubed cooked chicken
    1/4 c slivered almonds, lightly toasted
    1/4 c golden raisins or diced dried apricots
    1/2 c diced zucchini
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3 scallions, sliced
    4 Tbsp chopped cilantro

    Put saffron in chicken stock into a medium-sized pot to soak for
    20 minutes or more. Add 2 Tbsp oil and ½ tsp salt; cover and
    bring to a boil. Stir in the couscous cover, and remove from
    heat. Let stand ca 5 minutes or until the liquid has been
    absorbed, then fluff with a fork. While the couscous is still
    warm, mix together the lemon juice and the remaining oil and stir
    into the couscous along with the remaining ingredients. Adjust
    seasoning, adding more salt and pepper to taste.

    Oooh, that sounds good, too, Jean. Thanks. I think I have some
    saffron, too. But no cilantro, zucchini, or lemon.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.
    "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
    say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
    performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

  3. Bell Jar said:

    I'm thinking the same thing Barb .. there are 2g's of fiber per serving.
    Try barley ...

    Sylivia,
    She said she was using WW couscous, which, to me, is still not as gutsy
    as bulgar. Gimme that old time tabbouli...between the lemon juice and
    the parsley and the bulgar: vitamins and fiber. The Lebanese say
    tabbouli will "put nails in your bones".
    Or so I've been told.
    blacksalt

  4. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] (Victor Sack) wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    4 large beetroots

    Stop right THERE, Bubba!

    Rob wouldn't eat it -- he won't do coriander (when you say a bunch, may
    I safely assume you're referring to what I would call cilantro? If not,
    clarify, please. Danke.)


    Substitute all Italian parsley, and for the beet, dice and steam a
    garnet yam (not too mushy now).
    Sounds goot

  5. In article <[email hidden]>, kalanamak

    Quoted message said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] (Victor Sack) wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    4 large beetroots

    Stop right THERE, Bubba!

    Rob wouldn't eat it -- he won't do coriander (when you say a bunch,
    may I safely assume you're referring to what I would call cilantro?
    If not, clarify, please. Danke.)

    Quoted message said:

    Substitute all Italian parsley, and for the beet, dice and steam a
    garnet yam (not too mushy now). Sounds goot

    He won't eat sweet potatoes/yams, either. :-0( More for me. I've
    been cooking a yam for myself maybe once a week or so for the last
    couple three weeks. I love them. Thanks for the thought, though.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.
    "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
    say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
    performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

  6. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Victor Sack) said:

    The recipe is from
    <http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/ARTICLE.aspx?id=41393>.

    Smoked chicken with couscous, orange and beetroot

    Quoted message said:

    INGREDIENTS

    2 smoked chicken breasts, finely sliced

    1 cup couscous
    1 cup orange juice
    1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seed
    1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
    1/4 bunch coriander, chopped
    1/4 bunch parsley, shredded
    Salt and black pepper

    4 large beetroots

    Stop right THERE, Bubba!

    Don't want your beloved beets adulterated with anything else, eh?

    Quoted message said:

    Rob wouldn't eat it -- he won't do coriander

    But he will do beets, with great pleasure! Besides, Sam will like it
    even more!

    Quoted message said:

    (when you say a bunch, may
    I safely assume you're referring to what I would call cilantro? If not,
    clarify, please. Danke.)

    It's cilantro, most assuredly. Considering that the taste is very
    different from coriander seeds, won't Rob eat it, either?

    Bubba

  7. "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    This is whole wheat stuff and purports 7g dietary fiber per ~2/3 cup
    prepared stuff. Works for me.

    I'm lucky to find couscous around here .. I have never seen whole wheat.
    7g's per 2/3 cup is a pretty good deal 🙂

    I like barley well enough but I'm loving

    Quoted message said:

    this stuff and its per serving fiber content. Thanks for the thought.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.
    "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
    say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
    performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, "Bell Jar"

    Quoted message said:

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    This is whole wheat stuff and purports 7g dietary fiber per ~2/3 cup
    prepared stuff. Works for me.

    I'm lucky to find couscous around here .. I have never seen whole wheat.
    7g's per 2/3 cup is a pretty good deal 🙂

    'Zackly! I've got to figure out how to get some more. Maybe Firstborn
    will bring some with him when he comes home for my birthday party. And
    Dimitri might get here sooner than that. (Didja catch that, D?)
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.
    "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
    say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
    performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.