Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

converting a road hub to a track hub?

Started by Colin Campbell · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,293 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
22 February 2003
Last activity
24 February 2003
Original author
Colin Campbell
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,293
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I want to make a road hub into a track hub. I have replaced the axle. Is a track hub wider. I can't
    seem to get a proper measurement because my track hubs are already laced up to wheels.

    Thanx in advance. CC

  2. "Colin Campbell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I want to make a road hub into a track hub. I have replaced the axle. Is a track hub wider. I
    can't seem to get a proper measurement because my track hubs are already laced up to wheels.

    The front is the same as road, the rear is narrower - 120mm.

    Phil Holman

  3. "Colin Campbell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I want to make a road hub into a track hub. I have replaced the axle. Is a track hub wider. I
    can't seem to get a proper measurement because my track hubs are already laced up to wheels.

    Not sure what you are asking here.

    A road hub normally cannot be machined smaller on the right side for a reverse-threaded lockring
    because the thickness of the shell at the threads is insufficient. So making a "road hub into a
    track hub" literally is likely impossible in most cases.

    Overall locknut-to-locknut spacing is 110mm on a track hub. Road hubs are 120mm ( five speed)
    through 130mm ( eight speed). If that's what you are asking, measure the frame you're using, the
    existing hub and look at the chainline possibilities. Many fixed (and single) setups for urban
    commuting are complete [censored] in this regard and they work just fine. My own is nonstandard
    with a wider than stock spacing because it's running in a non-alignable Kestrel. Steel frames are
    more variable.

    True track hubshells are wider between the flanges than road hubs. Doesn't make a lot of difference
    but there's another example of why you can't make "road hub into a track hub".
    --
    Andrew Muzi yellowjersey.orgyellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  4. Quoted message said:

    From: "A Muzi"

    Quoted message said:

    True track hubshells are wider between the flanges than road hubs. Doesn't make a lot of difference
    but there's another example of why you can't make "road hub into a track hub".

    Just for info, I measured about one cm difference between a road small flange and track high
    flange. I used a "converted" low flange road hub (no lockring, allen bolt replacing QR per regs)
    on the track a few times with no apparent problems. (Alkek, with "only" 33 deg. max banking.)
    --Tom Paterson

  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From: "A Muzi" True track hubshells are wider between the flanges than road hubs.


    Doesn't

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    make a lot of difference but there's another example of why you can't


    make

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "road hub into a track hub".

    "Tom Paterson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just for info, I measured about one cm difference between a road small


    flange

    Quoted message said:

    and track high flange. I used a "converted" low flange road hub (no lockring, allen bolt


    replacing QR

    Quoted message said:

    per regs) on the track a few times with no apparent problems. (Alkek, with "only" 33 deg. max
    banking.) --Tom Paterson

    Yes, as I indicated about my own bike, many intermediate formats work just fine.

    I was descending into semantics, trying to find out what part of "track hub" he was aiming for.
    There are several differences, not all of which are critical to a given application, as you note.

    (I also noted an earlier 110mm track OLD which nowadays is 120mm)
    --
    Andrew Muzi yellowjersey.orgyellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  6. Quoted message said:

    Just for info, I measured about one cm difference between a road small flange and track high
    flange. I used a "converted" low flange road hub (no lockring, allen bolt replacing QR per regs) on
    the track a few times with no apparent problems. (Alkek, with "only" 33 deg. max banking.)

    People commonly do this and get away with it, but a true track hub has a reverse threaded lock ring
    none the less and for obvious reasons.

    Jon Isaacs

  7. "Jon Isaacs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Just for info, I measured about one cm difference between a road small


    flange

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and track high flange. I used a "converted" low flange road hub (no lockring, allen bolt


    replacing

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    QR per regs) on the track a few times with no apparent problems. (Alkek,


    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "only" 33 deg. max banking.)

    People commonly do this and get away with it, but a true track hub has a reverse threaded lock
    ring none the less and for obvious reasons.

    Jon Isaacs

    Yeah, but I race track and still don't use the darn thing. Gets in the way too often...

    I've done several of these conversions over the years. If I remember right, there should be appx
    16mm of spacers between the bearings on the FW side of the hub and the frame. The axle should be
    appx 165mm for AL dropouts, or a little shorter for steel. I've been having very good luck with
    American Classic FW hubs lately. I just built a Zipp 340 into a wheel using an American Classic FW
    hub and their track axle kit. Should be a nice-riding wheel once I get the tire glued on.

    The last "regular" hub I respaced was a Sansin/Specialized sealed bearing hub. It worked fine for my
    commuting back and forth up and down some serious hills in the Washington DC area. You may be able
    to use the axle that is in the hub now depending on your dropouts. If not, then your LBS should have
    something that'll work.

    You'll have to eyeball the chainline to make sure that the numbers I gave you above are right.
    Adjust accordingly. Make sure that the cog is tight because there's not going to be a lockring.

    If the wheel is already built, you'll have to re-dish. The nice thing is that there won't really be
    any dish once you're done. Your wheel should turn out fairly symmetrical. (read: stronger)

    It is more fun to make things work, but you have to be ready for the frustration when you're trying
    to get something to do things it isn't designed for.

    Good luck!

    Mike

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.