After spending the better part of two days searching for a way to "recycle" my campy wheels to work with my just-ordered DA-equipped bike (yeah, I know, that was my first mistake ...), it's beginning to dawn on me that this is a dumb thing to ask for.
I know that American Classic, IRD, and Wheels Manufacturing all sell cassettes to support the opposite kind of conversion, but apparently there's not much of a market for people who've invested in Campy wheels and then switch to Shimano. Well, I suppose that market is called ebay .... ;-)
Swapping out the freehub shell is an option, but my purpose is to adapt several older wheels for training, so I don't want to make this into too much of a project/expense. Has anyone ever come across a reliable 10 speed cassette that will fit the splines of a Campy wheels and allow use with a DA 10 speed group?
After spending the better part of two days searching for a way to "recycle" my campy wheels to work with my just-ordered DA-equipped bike (yeah, I know, that was my first mistake ...), it's beginning to dawn on me that this is a dumb thing to ask for.
I know that American Classic, IRD, and Wheels Manufacturing all sell cassettes to support the opposite kind of conversion, but apparently there's not much of a market for people who've invested in Campy wheels and then switch to Shimano. Well, I suppose that market is called ebay ... ;-)
Swapping out the freehub shell is an option, but my purpose is to adapt several older wheels for training, so I don't want to make this into too much of a project/expense. Has anyone ever come across a reliable 10 speed cassette that will fit the splines of a Campy wheels and allow use with a DA 10 speed group?
get a Veloce loose cog Campag cogset, a handfull for shimano 10s spacers and built it up. The most diffucult thing to find is shimano 10s spacers.
Ah! Thanks, Peter. One further question: Would I be ok running that with the stock DA chain?
/b
On Nov 13, 7:41 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
tekrider said:
After spending the better part of two days searching for a way to "recycle" my campy wheels to work with my just-ordered DA-equipped bike (yeah, I know, that was my first mistake ...), it's beginning to dawn on me that this is a dumb thing to ask for.
Quoted message said:
I know that American Classic, IRD, and Wheels Manufacturing all sell cassettes to support the opposite kind of conversion, but apparently there's not much of a market for people who've invested in Campy wheels and then switch to Shimano. Well, I suppose that market is called ebay ... ;-)
Quoted message said:
Swapping out the freehub shell is an option, but my purpose is to adapt several older wheels for training, so I don't want to make this into too much of a project/expense. Has anyone ever come across a reliable 10 speed cassette that will fit the splines of a Campy wheels and allow use with a DA 10 speed group?get a Veloce loose cog Campag cogset, a handfull for shimano 10s
spacers and built it up. The most diffucult thing to find is shimano 10s spacers.
After spending the better part of two days searching for a way to "recycle" my campy wheels to work with my just-ordered DA-equipped bike (yeah, I know, that was my first mistake ...)...
You should have purchased one of the new SRAM road groups.
Ah! Thanks, Peter. One further question: Would I be ok running that with the stock DA chain?
Sure, or Campag, or even Sram now as all '10s' chains are now 5.9mm...
Quoted message said:
/b
On Nov 13, 7:41 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
tekrider said:
After spending the better part of two days searching for a way to "recycle" my campy wheels to work with my just-ordered DA-equipped bike (yeah, I know, that was my first mistake ...), it's beginning to dawn on me that this is a dumb thing to ask for.
Quoted message said:
I know that American Classic, IRD, and Wheels Manufacturing all sell cassettes to support the opposite kind of conversion, but apparently there's not much of a market for people who've invested in Campy wheels and then switch to Shimano. Well, I suppose that market is called ebay ... ;-)
Quoted message said:
Swapping out the freehub shell is an option, but my purpose is to adapt several older wheels for training, so I don't want to make this into too much of a project/expense. Has anyone ever come across a reliable 10 speed cassette that will fit the splines of a Campy wheels and allow use with a DA 10 speed group?get a Veloce loose cog Campag cogset, a handfull for shimano 10s
spacers and built it up. The most diffucult thing to find is shimano 10s spacers.
Swapping out the freehub shell is an option, but my purpose is to adapt several older wheels for training, so I don't want to make this into too much of a project/expense. Has anyone ever come across a reliable 10 speed cassette that will fit the splines of a Campy wheels and allow use with a DA 10 speed group?
According to several of the oracles on this group, an actual Campy10 cassette will be shifted adequately by a SHimano 10s derailer/shifter. If you look at the specs, it's only .2 mm per cog difference in the first place, or 1.8 mm total, which means .9 mm per side either way of the middle. That is well within the side-to-side float of the top derailer pulley. I'd expect adjustment to be just slightly more finicky, but according to those who've actually tried it this is not the case.
Swapping out the freehub shell is an option, but my purpose is to adapt several older wheels for training, so I don't want to make this into too much of a project/expense. Has anyone ever come across a reliable 10 speed cassette that will fit the splines of a Campy wheels and allow use with a DA 10 speed group?
According to several of the oracles on this group, an actual Campy10 cassette will be shifted adequately by a SHimano 10s derailer/shifter. If you look at the specs, it's only .2 mm per cog difference in the first place, or 1.8 mm total, which means .9 mm per side either way of the middle. That is well within the side-to-side float of the top derailer pulley. I'd expect adjustment to be just slightly more finicky, but according to those who've actually tried it this is not the case.
Jasper
Interestingly enough, Campag 10s ERGO and shimano 10s cogsets AND viceversa don't work as well as 10s ERGO and shimano 9s cogsets and chain. Differences are smallest with this setup, and I would expect 10s->10s to work better than it does but in practice, it just doesn't.
Interestingly enough, Campag 10s ERGO and shimano 10s cogsets AND viceversa don't work as well as 10s ERGO and shimano 9s cogsets and chain. Differences are smallest with this setup, and I would expect 10s->10s to work better than it does but in practice, it just doesn't.
Okay. I withdraw my comment. It's still weird though.
How do you fit the shimano spacers on the campag body, are the splines sized such that it will fit?
Interestingly enough, Campag 10s ERGO and shimano 10s cogsets AND viceversa don't work as well as 10s ERGO and shimano 9s cogsets and chain. Differences are smallest with this setup, and I would expect 10s->10s to work better than it does but in practice, it just doesn't.
Okay. I withdraw my comment. It's still weird though.
How do you fit the shimano spacers on the campag body, are the splines sized such that it will fit?
Jasper
Alas, Im thought they would fit but since they have all sorts of teeth on them, ala the cog(why DO that??), they don't. I'm going to check on 'Wheels' spacers, and also DA 10s spacers, I think they are smooth. A handfull of Wheels spacers would work.
On Nov 15, 8:19 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Jasper Janssen said:
On 14 Nov 2006 08:09:40 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Interestingly enough, Campag 10s ERGO and shimano 10s cogsets AND viceversa don't work as well as 10s ERGO and shimano 9s cogsets and chain. Differences are smallest with this setup, and I would expect 10s->10s to work better than it does but in practice, it just doesn't.
Quoted message said:
Okay. I withdraw my comment. It's still weird though.
Quoted message said:
How do you fit the shimano spacers on the campag body, are the splines sized such that it will fit?
Quoted message said:
JasperAlas, Im thought they would fit but since they have all sorts of teeth
on them, ala the cog(why DO that??), they don't. I'm going to check on 'Wheels' spacers, and also DA 10s spacers, I think they are smooth. A handfull of Wheels spacers would work.
On Nov 15, 8:19 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Jasper Janssen said:
On 14 Nov 2006 08:09:40 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote:
Quoted message said:
>Interestingly enough, Campag 10s ERGO and shimano 10s cogsets AND >viceversa don't work as well as 10s ERGO and shimano 9s cogsets and >chain. Differences are smallest with this setup, and I would expect >10s->10s to work better than it does but in practice, it just doesn't.
Quoted message said:
Okay. I withdraw my comment. It's still weird though.
Quoted message said:
How do you fit the shimano spacers on the campag body, are the splines sized such that it will fit?
Quoted message said:
JasperAlas, Im thought they would fit but since they have all sorts of teeth
on them, ala the cog(why DO that??), they don't. I'm going to check on 'Wheels' spacers, and also DA 10s spacers, I think they are smooth. A handfull of Wheels spacers would work.
W heels doesn't make any 2.45( I think) spacers. I'm going to have to look at a DA 10s cogset to see if the spacers are notched or smooth inside. If notched, I think a freehub swap to a shimano compatible one is in order. You are kinda unique, having Campag wheels and going to DA, Usually the other way around.