General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Commercial vitamin supplements in LC'ing

Started by Sammy · · Last activity · 6 posts · 634 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 September 2004
Last activity
20 September 2004
Original author
Sammy
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
634
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have been using GNC vitamins- Mega Man plus Calcium tabs, plus
    potassium and magnesium tablets. They end up being pretty pricey.

    Has anyone compared the One-A-Day preparations for Low Carbers to GNC or
    other nutrition=oriented specialty stores? I believe they'd be a lot
    cheaper, and I think much of the GNC approach involves bulking up
    tablets to overcharge for them.

    I know One-A-Day makes a vitamin pill aimed at the LC market, as does a
    least one of the other major mass market vitamin companies now.

    Opinions, anyone?

  2. "Sammy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been using GNC vitamins- Mega Man plus Calcium tabs,
    plus
    potassium and magnesium tablets. They end up being pretty
    pricey.

    Has anyone compared the One-A-Day preparations for Low Carbers
    to GNC or
    other nutrition=oriented specialty stores? I believe they'd be
    a lot
    cheaper, and I think much of the GNC approach involves bulking
    up
    tablets to overcharge for them.

    I know One-A-Day makes a vitamin pill aimed at the LC market,
    as does a
    least one of the other major mass market vitamin companies
    now.

    Opinions, anyone?

    IMHO the LC targeted vitamins are a scam and quite over-priced.
    In most cases
    any full spectrum multivitamin is sufficient, some individuals
    will need additional calcium
    if it is not included in the multivitamin.

    BJ

  3. I have opinions, but since every person eats differently you need to know
    what nutrients you are specifically high or low on according to your own
    diet and needs. For this purpose, I strongly suggest that using a program
    to track the nutrients that you get daily is a better investment than
    using extremely pricey vitamins, which are not always warranted. For
    instance, I discovered that, although eating low-carb, I do not eat that
    much protein. For that reason I know that I'm not eating so much iron
    that I need a specific low-carb vitamin. However, since on occasion I
    might eat too much protein, on those days I'll use the One-A-Day vitamin
    specific to low-carbers so that I don't overload on iron. On the other
    hand, some people are iron-deficient even if they eat plenty of protein,
    and those people need to take the extra iron anyway. I find that a good
    multi-vitamin will generally take care of me, but that I need additional
    Calcium and C on a daily basis in addition to that (I also take a lot of
    other supplements such as CoEnzyme Q, Vitamin E, D, K and Fish Oil
    separately because there are generally not enough of them even in the
    multi-vitamins to get as much as I feel that I need). Spend more time on
    figuring out where you might be deficient or over-endulging (if possible)
    on your nutrients, and then you can probably find what you need in a far
    less expensive supplement.

  4. Sammy said:

    I have been using GNC vitamins- Mega Man plus Calcium tabs, plus
    potassium and magnesium tablets. They end up being pretty pricey.

    Has anyone compared the One-A-Day preparations for Low Carbers to GNC or
    other nutrition=oriented specialty stores? I believe they'd be a lot
    cheaper, and I think much of the GNC approach involves bulking up
    tablets to overcharge for them.

    I know One-A-Day makes a vitamin pill aimed at the LC market, as does a
    least one of the other major mass market vitamin companies now.

    Opinions, anyone?

    you don't need a "low carb" vitamin. just buy any regular old store
    brand multi without iron.

  5. Quoted message said:

    you don't need a "low carb" vitamin. just buy any regular old store
    brand multi without iron.

    Costco has a great "senior" multi, a huge bottle dirt-cheap. And Kirkland brand
    vitamins have always tested well AFAIK.
    LCing since 12/01/03-
    Me- 5'7" 265/165/140
    & hubby- 6' 310/188/180
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lcer09/my_photos

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (LCer09) said:
    Quoted message said:

    you don't need a "low carb" vitamin. just buy any regular old store
    brand multi without iron.

    Costco has a great "senior" multi, a huge bottle dirt-cheap. And Kirkland
    brand
    vitamins have always tested well AFAIK.
    LCing since 12/01/03-
    Me- 5'7" 265/165/140
    & hubby- 6' 310/188/180
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lcer09/my_photos

    Well this was part of the issue. I saw a testing recently of vitamins,
    labeling vs actual contents, and One A Day did well in that comparison,
    which was what prompted my posting originally.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.