Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Colorado Legislator a MTBer likes Canada

Started by LIBERATOR · · Last activity · 6 posts · 388 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
15 March 2006
Last activity
16 March 2006
Original author
LIBERATOR
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
388
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Rider Profile - Rep. Michael Merrifield
    Written By: Kyle Henley
    Posted: January 17, 2006

    The Colorado General Assembly began meeting on Jan. 11. In honor of
    their 120-day session, we sat down with Rep. Michael Merrifield,
    D-Manitou Springs. Merrifield is a hard core mountain biker that's
    been ripping up Colorado single track for more than 20 years. He's
    written a mountain biking guide to Colorado and almost always has his
    bike with him during the session, hoping he can sneak out for a ride in
    between his duties as a state representative.

    TrailCentral: HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN RIDING?
    Rep. Michael Merrifield: I've been riding since 1984, when I lived in
    Gunnison, CO.

    TC: WHAT GOT YOU INTO MOUNTAIN BIKING?
    MM: The sport was just catching on in 1984 and the first production
    Specialized Stumpjumper had just come out. I was a poor teacher in
    Gunnison, and my buddies had these Stumpjumpers. I was just dying to
    get one. The second year they were out I'd made friend with the guy
    at a local bike shop and he let me make payments.

    TC: YOU WROTE A GUIDE BOOK CALLED "COLORADO GONZO RIDES." TELL ME
    ABOUT IT.
    MM: I got divorced and that's what really started it. I moved to
    Colorado Springs from Gunnison. I was a teacher and had the whole
    summer off. I was riding all day, every day. I was riding all these
    trails and I said, "I should write about all the places I'm
    exploring." A friend said, "You write and we'll get it
    published." I did, and I wrote about the best places to eat and the
    best places to sleep.

    TC: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE RIDE OUT OF THE BOOK AND WHY?
    MM: 401 in Crested Butte. It's just too spectacular. You take a good
    chunk of an hour or more to get their. You have a good climb along
    lakes and creeks and then you just fly down on this tight, smooth,
    unbelievable single track. The wildflowers are just spectacular, too.
    I've never seen better wildflowers.

    TC: HOW MANY BIKES HAVE YOU OWNED? WHAT ARE YOU RIDING NOW AND WHICH
    WAS YOUR FAVORITE?
    MM: I'm on a (Santa Cruz) Blur right now. But every new bike I get is
    the favorite one, and I never think they can get any better. But every
    time I get on one I like it better than the last one. The Blur is a
    pretty awesome bike. I've had nine bikes, including the Stumpjumper,
    a Diamond Back, a Trek, 3 Manitous, 2 Tomacs and the Blur.

    TC: WHAT'S BEEN THE BIGGEST CHANGE IN YOUR 20 YEARS OF RIDING?
    MM: Full suspension. It's helped me enjoy the whole concept, the
    whole feeling of riding. It's really increased my ability to ride
    technical stuff and go fast downhill.

    TC: DESCRIBE YOUR RIDING STYLE.
    MM: I like to ride hard enough to hurt. I also like a cold beer when
    I'm done. A beer never tastes better than at the end of a mountain
    bike ride. Now I take a little cooler and leave them in the car.

    TC: HOW MUCH RIDING DO YOU DO NOW YOU ARE A LEGISLATOR?
    MM: Not nearly enough. That and my yearly weight gain are my biggest
    complaints about this job. I still manage to get enough riding to keep
    me a little sharp.

    TC: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORE PLACE TO RIDE ANYWHERE?
    MM: Every mountain biker, if they get chance, should go to Banff,
    Canada. It's big, god, and the rides are long. The single track is
    just as sweet as Crested Butte and then you have all this water --- big
    lakes, huge trees and greenery. The mountains, wow, it's almost
    embarrassing to say you are from Colorado when you see these mountains.
    They are jaw dropping.

    TC: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE EVERDAY RIDE?
    MM: Palmer Trail is my favorite regular ride in Colorado Springs. It is
    a good climb and you can descend Section 16 if you want. I do that like
    once a year to see how bad it's gotten. I like to just turn around at
    the top and just fly down it because it is so, so nice.

    TC: WHAT SHOULD COLORADO RIDERS PAY ATTENTION TO AT THE CAPITOL?
    MM: They should be buying their lottery tickets and supporting
    preservation of open space. They should also watch what we are doing
    with the roadless areas, because that will have an impact on some of
    the really primo trails.

    TC: WHAT PERSPECTIVE DO YOU HAVE AS A MOUNTAIN BIKER THAT OTHER
    LAWMAKERS DO NOT?
    MM: I'm not sure, but we should pass a law that every legislator has
    to buy a mountain bike and ride a minimum of 3 to 4 times a week. IT
    would change everybody's attitudes. With a cold beer afterward,
    we'd get a lot more done.


  2. Quoted message said:

    Rider Profile - Rep. Michael Merrifield
    TC: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE RIDE OUT OF THE BOOK AND WHY?
    MM: 401 in Crested Butte. It's just too spectacular.

    That's because the Good Doctor is not in his book, eh Matt?

    JD


  3. Quoted message said:

    TC: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE EVERDAY RIDE?
    MM: Palmer Trail is my favorite regular ride in Colorado Springs. It is
    a good climb and you can descend Section 16 if you want. I do that like
    once a year to see how bad it's gotten. I like to just turn around at
    the top and just fly down it because it is so, so nice.

    TC: WHAT SHOULD COLORADO RIDERS PAY ATTENTION TO AT THE CAPITOL?
    MM: They should be buying their lottery tickets and supporting
    preservation of open space. They should also watch what we are doing
    with the roadless areas, because that will have an impact on some of
    the really primo trails.

    Too bad Mr. Merifield doesn't pay attention to what happens to all that
    lottery money in El Paso County(Colorado Springs). It doesn't pay for
    parks and open space. It pays for new jails.

    You see the County Commissioners and Terry Harris decided to use a
    loophole in the lottery fund regulations to steal $750,000 a year, for
    the next 20 years, from the El Paso County Parks Dept. budget in order
    to build new jails. The same amount as their annual lottery funds.

    So the lottery funds actually pay for salaries and operating expenses
    for the Parks
    Department, not capital improvements.

    Which means that the El Paso County Parks Dept. cannot buy, or build
    new parks and trails without grants.

    Gee! Maybe that's why his favorite ride in Sec. 16 get's crappier
    every year?
    He and the rest of the politicos know what's going on also, but they
    keep feeding the dumbass locals these lines about how lottery funds buy
    parks. Must be an election year?

  4. JD said:
    Quoted message said:

    Rider Profile - Rep. Michael Merrifield
    TC: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE RIDE OUT OF THE BOOK AND WHY?
    MM: 401 in Crested Butte. It's just too spectacular.

    That's because the Good Doctor is not in his book, eh Matt?

    JD

    Maybe we beat him up too much on that one...

    Matt

  5. MattB said:
    JD said:
    Quoted message said:

    Rider Profile - Rep. Michael Merrifield
    TC: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE RIDE OUT OF THE BOOK AND WHY?
    MM: 401 in Crested Butte. It's just too spectacular.

    That's because the Good Doctor is not in his book, eh Matt?

    JD

    Maybe we beat him up too much on that one...

    Matt

    If I remember correctly, that was the last ride we did on that trail
    before the last bit was "improved" by the USFS. The subsequent rides
    there had me missing that one sequence with the left-hand switchback in
    the middle of it.

    JD

  6. I have no doubts about the trickery he's using, it's common politics.
    Pretending not to know things he does, or taking advantage of the
    public not knowing something is regular.

    I just wanted to make the point that MTBing is so enticing even
    legislators do it.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    TC: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE EVERDAY RIDE?
    MM: Palmer Trail is my favorite regular ride in Colorado Springs. It is
    a good climb and you can descend Section 16 if you want. I do that like
    once a year to see how bad it's gotten. I like to just turn around at
    the top and just fly down it because it is so, so nice.

    TC: WHAT SHOULD COLORADO RIDERS PAY ATTENTION TO AT THE CAPITOL?
    MM: They should be buying their lottery tickets and supporting
    preservation of open space. They should also watch what we are doing
    with the roadless areas, because that will have an impact on some of
    the really primo trails.

    Too bad Mr. Merifield doesn't pay attention to what happens to all that
    lottery money in El Paso County(Colorado Springs). It doesn't pay for
    parks and open space. It pays for new jails.

    You see the County Commissioners and Terry Harris decided to use a
    loophole in the lottery fund regulations to steal $750,000 a year, for
    the next 20 years, from the El Paso County Parks Dept. budget in order
    to build new jails. The same amount as their annual lottery funds.

    So the lottery funds actually pay for salaries and operating expenses
    for the Parks
    Department, not capital improvements.

    Which means that the El Paso County Parks Dept. cannot buy, or build
    new parks and trails without grants.

    Gee! Maybe that's why his favorite ride in Sec. 16 get's crappier
    every year?
    He and the rest of the politicos know what's going on also, but they
    keep feeding the dumbass locals these lines about how lottery funds buy
    parks. Must be an election year?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.