Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Cheapo forks (Manitou and Marzocchi)

Started by Doki · · Last activity · 10 posts · 522 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
31 May 2004
Last activity
1 June 2004
Original author
Doki
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
522
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My fork's looking a bit worse for wear ([censored] RST stuff that Giant stuck on
    the bike). I've found last year's Manitou Axel Super, and a 2004 Marzocchi
    EXR Comp (usually an OEM rather than aftermarket fork). They're both priced
    at £90 (yes, I'm a tight [censored], but at least I'm not fitting more
    elastomer guff), and both have coil springs and air gubbins, and 80 or 100mm
    of travel depending how you set them up.

    Which is the better fork of the two (I'm thinking the Manitou)? The RST that
    Giant fitted to my bike has about 50mm of travel or so. Is fitting an
    80/100mm travel fork going to [censored] up the way my bike rides?

  2. There are quite a few comments on the '03 Manitou Axel Super here:

    http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_front_shocks/product_121940.shtml

    Nothing there on the particular Marzocchi you mention though.

    Doki said:

    My fork's looking a bit worse for wear ([censored] RST stuff that Giant stuck
    on
    the bike). I've found last year's Manitou Axel Super, and a 2004
    Marzocchi
    EXR Comp (usually an OEM rather than aftermarket fork). They're both
    priced
    at £90 (yes, I'm a tight [censored], but at least I'm not fitting more
    elastomer guff), and both have coil springs and air gubbins, and 80 or
    100mm
    of travel depending how you set them up.

    Which is the better fork of the two (I'm thinking the Manitou)? The RST
    that
    Giant fitted to my bike has about 50mm of travel or so. Is fitting an
    80/100mm travel fork going to [censored] up the way my bike rides?

  3. Paul said:

    There are quite a few comments on the '03 Manitou Axel Super here:

    http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_front_shocks/product_121940.shtml

    Nothing there on the particular Marzocchi you mention though.

    Mmm. Sounds good. OTOH, all the decent forks cost more than my bike cost me.
    Would fitting a good fork to a mediocre bike be A Bad Thing?

  4. A difficult question to answer, which to some extent depends on how
    'mediocre' your current bike is. If you think you'd really appreciate the
    benefits of a more expensive model, and you're pretty happy with the rest
    of your bike, and you don't mind spending the money then you could
    consider spending more. On the otherhand, would the money be better spent
    replacing / upgrading other componentry on your bike? Also, remember to
    take all the marketing hype out there with a pinch of salt - don't get
    sucked in to spending your money on a plush lightweight fork if you only
    cruise around the local fireroads at weekends.

    Doki said:
    Paul said:

    There are quite a few comments on the '03 Manitou Axel Super here:

    http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_front_shocks/product_121940.shtml

    Nothing there on the particular Marzocchi you mention though.

    Mmm. Sounds good. OTOH, all the decent forks cost more than my bike cost
    me.
    Would fitting a good fork to a mediocre bike be A Bad Thing?

  5. Paul said:

    A difficult question to answer, which to some extent depends on how
    'mediocre' your current bike is. If you think you'd really
    appreciate the benefits of a more expensive model, and you're pretty
    happy with the rest of your bike, and you don't mind spending the
    money then you could consider spending more. On the otherhand, would
    the money be better spent replacing / upgrading other componentry on
    your bike? Also, remember to take all the marketing hype out there
    with a pinch of salt - don't get sucked in to spending your money on
    a plush lightweight fork if you only cruise around the local
    fireroads at weekends.

    My bike's a Giant Boulder (insert numbers and letters here). Comes with an
    RST front fork, Alivio shifters / levers, no name V-brakes, boggo Shimano
    front mech and an Alivio rear mech, and a replaceable mech hanger, which you
    tend not to get on the really basic bikes. Probably £300 - £400 or so new.
    It's now got XT shifters / levers after I smashed the Alivios up and found
    some cheap. Aluminium frame by the way.

    I'm happy with the components on the bike, TBH I'll look to save weight when
    I'm light enough to suggest that the bike's weight might be making any
    difference to my riding 😉. I've got some LX V brakes to stick on it
    knocking around too. Anyway, what I'm unsure of is if the frame is worth
    upgrading. For all I know, Giant might use the same frame on 6 different
    bikes and just change the components. OTOH, the frame might a POS. Anyone
    got any ideas?

  6. Doki said:
    Paul said:

    There are quite a few comments on the '03 Manitou Axel Super here:

    http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_front_shocks/product_121940.shtml

    Nothing there on the particular Marzocchi you mention though.

    Mmm. Sounds good. OTOH, all the decent forks cost more than my bike
    cost me. Would fitting a good fork to a mediocre bike be A Bad Thing?

    Yes - a new bike is always cheaper to buy than to upgrade parts one-by-one,
    unless it is over a period of several years...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  7. Quoted message said:

    I'm happy with the components on the bike, TBH I'll look to save
    weight when I'm light enough to suggest that the bike's weight might
    be making any difference to my riding 😉. I've got some LX V brakes
    to stick on it knocking around too. Anyway, what I'm unsure of is if
    the frame is worth upgrading. For all I know, Giant might use the
    same frame on 6 different bikes and just change the components. OTOH,
    the frame might a POS. Anyone got any ideas?

    The bike to upgrade up is the Iguana. The new bike will be more dialed-in
    and will be stiffer than your current frame.

    Bottom line is, upgrading is usually a bad idea unless you're short on cash
    or other similar circumstances.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  8. ZeeExSixAre said:
    Doki said:
    Paul said:

    There are quite a few comments on the '03 Manitou Axel Super here:

    http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_front_shocks/product_121940.shtml

    Nothing there on the particular Marzocchi you mention though.

    Mmm. Sounds good. OTOH, all the decent forks cost more than my bike
    cost me. Would fitting a good fork to a mediocre bike be A Bad Thing?

    Yes - a new bike is always cheaper to buy than to upgrade parts
    one-by-one, unless it is over a period of several years...

    What would you replace it with then? Something cheap and [censored] or something
    vaguely solid? I'd prefer something that'll last a while rather than be
    ultra flash.

  9. Doki said:
    ZeeExSixAre said:
    Doki said:

    Paul wrote:
    > There are quite a few comments on the '03 Manitou Axel Super here:
    >
    > http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_front_shocks/product_121940.shtml
    >
    > Nothing there on the particular Marzocchi you mention though.

    Mmm. Sounds good. OTOH, all the decent forks cost more than my bike
    cost me. Would fitting a good fork to a mediocre bike be A Bad
    Thing?

    Yes - a new bike is always cheaper to buy than to upgrade parts
    one-by-one, unless it is over a period of several years...

    What would you replace it with then? Something cheap and [censored] or
    something vaguely solid? I'd prefer something that'll last a while
    rather than be ultra flash.

    Replace it with the level of bike that you think you need and consider its
    price. I bought an XTC2 last year, have been riding it for a while, and now
    I'm going to sell it and buy an STP2 because it's suited for the type of
    riding I'll be doing.

    Always upgrade - don't downgrade.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  10. ZeeExSixAre said:
    Doki said:

    ZeeExSixAre wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yes - a new bike is always cheaper to buy than to upgrade parts
    one-by-one, unless it is over a period of several years...

    What would you replace it with then? Something cheap and [censored] or
    something vaguely solid? I'd prefer something that'll last a while
    rather than be ultra flash.

    Replace it with the level of bike that you think you need and
    consider its price. I bought an XTC2 last year, have been riding it
    for a while, and now I'm going to sell it and buy an STP2 because
    it's suited for the type of riding I'll be doing.

    Always upgrade - don't downgrade.

    I meant the fork, not the bike. I'm not going to replace the bike for a good
    while yet. I seriously doubt it's holding me back in any way, as I'm not
    what you'd called skilled 🙂. The bike isn't getting swapped until I've the
    cash for a good one, and I feel like I *need* it.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.