General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

chamonix to zermatt , walker's haute route

Started by Mike · · Last activity · 10 posts · 454 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 August 2004
Last activity
28 August 2004
Original author
Mike
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
454
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does anyone have any information about weather conditions for the
    route from Chamonix to Zermatt (walker's haute Route)in late
    September?
    Trail conditions etc.?

    thanks

  2. I did it in July and there was still some ice and snow on the trails. My
    advice....bring crampons and an ice axe. Also, if there was any ice/snow on
    the Europaweg, I'd be real careful. Make sure you've got helicopter rescue
    insurance. Good luck.....it's a great walk.

    Art
    "Mike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have any information about weather conditions for the
    route from Chamonix to Zermatt (walker's haute Route)in late
    September?
    Trail conditions etc.?

    thanks

  3. Hi, Mike & all,

    "Mike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have any information about weather conditions for the
    route from Chamonix to Zermatt (walker's haute Route)in late
    September?
    Trail conditions etc.?

    Sorry I can't help you as regards September, but a TR from our July 2001
    attempt is at http://www.pardoes.com/climbing/whauter.htm , with links to
    some other reports which may give you some idea of what to expect.

    As you can see from the pics, there was a lot of snow about, much of it
    still falling, and bad enough for us to pack it in at La Sage.

    IMHO, if you haven't already done it, the TMB is a much nicer route.

    HTH,
    Steve

  4. "art" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<KPSVc.2109$oA.1143@trndny04>...

    Quoted message said:

    I did it in July and there was still some ice and snow on the trails. My
    advice....bring crampons and an ice axe. Also, if there was any ice/snow on
    the Europaweg, I'd be real careful. Make sure you've got helicopter rescue
    insurance. Good luck.....it's a great walk.

    Art
    "Mike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have any information about weather conditions for the
    route from Chamonix to Zermatt (walker's haute Route)in late
    September?
    Trail conditions etc.?

    thanks

    thanks for replying.
    But you probably talk about high level route ?
    I mean the classic hike from Chamonix to Zermatt, not climbing

    thanks

  5. No, it was the walker's route, not the high level one.

    Art

    "Mike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "art" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<KPSVc.2109$oA.1143@trndny04>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I did it in July and there was still some ice and snow on the trails. My
    advice....bring crampons and an ice axe. Also, if there was any ice/snow


    on

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the Europaweg, I'd be real careful. Make sure you've got helicopter


    rescue

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    insurance. Good luck.....it's a great walk.

    Art
    "Mike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have any information about weather conditions for the
    route from Chamonix to Zermatt (walker's haute Route)in late
    September?
    Trail conditions etc.?

    thanks

    thanks for replying.
    But you probably talk about high level route ?
    I mean the classic hike from Chamonix to Zermatt, not climbing

    thanks

  6. Hi Steve,
    I remember looking at your TR when I was making my Haute Route plans. I
    thought " eh, he just had a bad year, how bad could it really be?" By the
    time I got to Prafleuri, I knew the answer. My adventure was nowhere near as
    tough as yours, but it was tough enough for me! I came into Prafleuri under
    somewaht the same conditions....snow, rain, flooded trails...and I was just
    glad to be inside. Curiously though, I wasn't hungry. This alarmed me as I
    was constantly hungry during the trip. I couldn't eat anything for
    dinner....I wasn't sick, I wasn't nauseous, I just wasn't hungry and had no
    appetite. I figured I would wake up ravenous the next morning so I went to
    bed (don't you like how they charge to turn on the light in the room!) The
    next morning, I woke and I still wasn't hungry. I felt fine, just no
    appetite. Now I was concerned. I remembered your description of the trail
    and I thought it was not a good idea to spend another day on the trail not
    having eaten. So I took the day off and went down to the valley and took
    buses and hitchhiked over to Arolla. By the time I got to the Tza hotel, I
    was fine and starving!

    Thanks for putting up your trip report.....I enjoyed the pictures and
    narrative and it's always fun to hear from someone else who's done the trip.
    I'm half considering the TMB but the other half is considering the Coast to
    Coast walk instead. So, hopefully our paths might cross someday!

    Art

    "Steve Pardoe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, Mike & all,

    "Mike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have any information about weather conditions for the
    route from Chamonix to Zermatt (walker's haute Route)in late
    September?
    Trail conditions etc.?

    Sorry I can't help you as regards September, but a TR from our July 2001
    attempt is at http://www.pardoes.com/climbing/whauter.htm , with links to
    some other reports which may give you some idea of what to expect.

    As you can see from the pics, there was a lot of snow about, much of it
    still falling, and bad enough for us to pack it in at La Sage.

    IMHO, if you haven't already done it, the TMB is a much nicer route.

    HTH,
    Steve

  7. Hi, Art & all,

    "art" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:STmWc.4576$VY.3072@trndny09...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Steve,
    I remember looking at your TR when I was making my Haute Route plans.


    I

    Quoted message said:

    thought " eh, he just had a bad year, how bad could it really be?" By the
    time I got to Prafleuri, I knew the answer. My adventure was nowhere near


    as

    Quoted message said:

    tough as yours, but it was tough enough for me!

    Glad you enjoyed, and completed it.

    I've just had an e-mail today from an American lady (I guess in her 60's)
    who made enquiries of us having seen our web page back in April, and found
    the WHR conditions (in August) pretty hard going, steeper and more exposed
    than the impression given by the guidebook.

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for putting up your trip report.....I enjoyed the pictures and
    narrative and it's always fun to hear from someone else who's done the


    trip.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm half considering the TMB but the other half is considering the Coast


    to

    Quoted message said:

    Coast walk instead. So, hopefully our paths might cross someday!

    I presume you mean the 'Wainwright' Coast to Coast in England? Our son has
    done it (most of it solo, after his friend dropped out) and (as you'd
    expect) much of the eastern half is so boring that it can be a real
    anticlimax.

    Given the choice, we would choose (and indeed have done) the TMB every time,
    and yet we live only a couple of hours from the Coast to Coast. On the
    other hand, if you've never been to the Lake District before, that part will
    seem pretty magical (I've no idea where you are posting from, but there will
    be plenty of defence of the Coast to Coast on uk.rec.walking).

    Happy hiking,
    Steve

  8. "Steve Pardoe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, Art & all,

    "art" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:STmWc.4576$VY.3072@trndny09...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Steve,
    I remember looking at your TR when I was making my Haute Route plans.


    I

    Quoted message said:

    thought " eh, he just had a bad year, how bad could it really be?" By the
    time I got to Prafleuri, I knew the answer. My adventure was nowhere near


    as

    Quoted message said:

    tough as yours, but it was tough enough for me!

    Glad you enjoyed, and completed it.

    I've just had an e-mail today from an American lady (I guess in her 60's)
    who made enquiries of us having seen our web page back in April, and found
    the WHR conditions (in August) pretty hard going, steeper and more exposed
    than the impression given by the guidebook.

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for putting up your trip report.....I enjoyed the pictures and
    narrative and it's always fun to hear from someone else who's done the


    trip.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm half considering the TMB but the other half is considering the Coast


    to

    Quoted message said:

    Coast walk instead. So, hopefully our paths might cross someday!

    I presume you mean the 'Wainwright' Coast to Coast in England? Our son has
    done it (most of it solo, after his friend dropped out) and (as you'd
    expect) much of the eastern half is so boring that it can be a real
    anticlimax.

    Given the choice, we would choose (and indeed have done) the TMB every time,
    and yet we live only a couple of hours from the Coast to Coast. On the
    other hand, if you've never been to the Lake District before, that part will
    seem pretty magical (I've no idea where you are posting from, but there will
    be plenty of defence of the Coast to Coast on uk.rec.walking).

    Happy hiking,
    Steve

    Hi,

    I also found your web page very informative, and I used it when I was
    planning my trip last year. Thanks.
    Last year I started walking from Chamonix in the end of September, and
    got
    to Arolla, after that the weather got really bad - snowing , cloudy
    etc.
    And the forcast was bad , so I had to give up.
    I'm so eager to complete this walk , the problem is - I can get
    vacation only in the end of September. And I wonder if the weather was
    that bad only last year or is it always like this.

    thanks

  9. Hello Steve,
    Thanks for your reply. I live in New York so the UK has it's charms. I
    lived in Harrogate in the early 60's but I don't really remember much except
    early pub closings, great fish and chips, and great beer. I go to London
    every few years but it's getting more depressing each time as globalization
    and chain stores take over the High Street....pray that Wal Mart doesn't
    make it across the pond!
    I can sympathize with your American correspondent. I'm 60 but I'm also
    an avid hiker and I also lead hikes for a regional hiking club and I still
    wasn't as prepared for the steepness of the trails, especially the
    Europaweg...I was advised that I didn't need crampons and an ice axe and I
    surely wish that I had them. It would have made me feel a lot more secure on
    some snowy/icy bits.
    The first few days I hiked some TMB sections from Argentiere to
    Planpraz via La Flegere. The first day I went low and the second day I went
    via Lac Blanc...there was freezing rain (this was July 12th!) and it wasn't
    that much fun to climb the iron ladder section! I can just imagine what the
    views must have been like if the weather had been clear....but it had rained
    for the 2 days that I went out on the TMB sections so who knows...........
    I think that Mike (the original poster) is not going to get the weather
    he wants! I'm sure it's going to be snowy in the higher elevations in late
    September. I can't imagine being on those trails in snow and ice unless he's
    an experienced mountaineer. In my opinion he would be better off going with
    a high mountain group than trying it solo...Anyway, thanks for the reply,
    and maybe I'll see you on the TMB one day......

    Bon Promenade!

    Art..............

    "Steve Pardoe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, Art & all,

    "art" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:STmWc.4576$VY.3072@trndny09...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Steve,
    I remember looking at your TR when I was making my Haute Route


    plans.

    Quoted message said:

    I

    Quoted message said:

    thought " eh, he just had a bad year, how bad could it really be?" By


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    time I got to Prafleuri, I knew the answer. My adventure was nowhere


    near

    Quoted message said:

    as

    Quoted message said:

    tough as yours, but it was tough enough for me!

    Glad you enjoyed, and completed it.

    I've just had an e-mail today from an American lady (I guess in her 60's)
    who made enquiries of us having seen our web page back in April, and found
    the WHR conditions (in August) pretty hard going, steeper and more exposed
    than the impression given by the guidebook.

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for putting up your trip report.....I enjoyed the pictures and
    narrative and it's always fun to hear from someone else who's done the


    trip.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm half considering the TMB but the other half is considering the Coast


    to

    Quoted message said:

    Coast walk instead. So, hopefully our paths might cross someday!

    I presume you mean the 'Wainwright' Coast to Coast in England? Our son


    has

    Quoted message said:

    done it (most of it solo, after his friend dropped out) and (as you'd
    expect) much of the eastern half is so boring that it can be a real
    anticlimax.

    Given the choice, we would choose (and indeed have done) the TMB every


    time,

    Quoted message said:

    and yet we live only a couple of hours from the Coast to Coast. On the
    other hand, if you've never been to the Lake District before, that part


    will

    Quoted message said:

    seem pretty magical (I've no idea where you are posting from, but there


    will

    Quoted message said:

    be plenty of defence of the Coast to Coast on uk.rec.walking).

    Happy hiking,
    Steve

  10. "art" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<YwyWc.6434$VY.2530@trndny09>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello Steve,
    Thanks for your reply. I live in New York so the UK has it's charms. I
    lived in Harrogate in the early 60's but I don't really remember much except
    early pub closings, great fish and chips, and great beer. I go to London
    every few years but it's getting more depressing each time as globalization
    and chain stores take over the High Street....pray that Wal Mart doesn't
    make it across the pond!
    I can sympathize with your American correspondent. I'm 60 but I'm also
    an avid hiker and I also lead hikes for a regional hiking club and I still
    wasn't as prepared for the steepness of the trails, especially the
    Europaweg...I was advised that I didn't need crampons and an ice axe and I
    surely wish that I had them. It would have made me feel a lot more secure on
    some snowy/icy bits.
    The first few days I hiked some TMB sections from Argentiere to
    Planpraz via La Flegere. The first day I went low and the second day I went
    via Lac Blanc...there was freezing rain (this was July 12th!) and it wasn't
    that much fun to climb the iron ladder section! I can just imagine what the
    views must have been like if the weather had been clear....but it had rained
    for the 2 days that I went out on the TMB sections so who knows...........
    I think that Mike (the original poster) is not going to get the weather
    he wants!

    O thanks very much, you are very supportive !!!
    sounds as if you wish me a bad weather :-)

    I'm sure it's going to be snowy in the higher elevations in late

    Quoted message said:

    September.


    I can't imagine being on those trails in snow and ice unless he's

    Quoted message said:

    an experienced mountaineer. In my opinion he would be better off going with
    a high mountain group than trying it solo...Anyway, thanks for the reply,
    and maybe I'll see you on the TMB one day......

    Bon Promenade!

    Art..............

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.