Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Chain rubs on large Chainring when on smaller rear cogs

Started by Busterb · · Last activity · 7 posts · 694 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 June 2004
Last activity
3 June 2004
Original author
Busterb
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
694
Views / 30 days
9
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Yesterday I thought the chain was rubbing on the derailleur
    when in small front small rear combo. I adjusted derailleur
    and it does not touch chain. The noiise is due to the chain
    catching in the big chainring slightly and rubbing. I know I
    can bring it to where I bought it a week ago but if I can
    fix it Ill save the trip. Bike info. 2001 Cannondale xr800.
    cannondale expert cranks, 105 sti f&r derailleurs. Any ideas
    would be appreciated. Is it an alignment issue?

  2. "busterb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yesterday I thought the chain was rubbing on the
    derailleur when in small front small rear combo. I
    adjusted derailleur and it does not touch chain. The
    noiise is due to the chain catching in the big chainring
    slightly and rubbing. I know I can bring it to where I
    bought it a week ago but if I can fix it Ill save the
    trip. Bike info. 2001 Cannondale xr800. cannondale expert
    cranks, 105 sti f&r derailleurs. Any ideas would be
    appreciated. Is it an alignment issue?

    "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" "Don't do that!"

    Avoid extreme gear combinations, i.e. biggest to biggest and
    smallest to smallest. They're not meant be used.

    -Jens

  3. It depends on the length of the chainstay and the size of
    the large front ring.

    For example, on a Cervelo frame -- which has a very short
    chainstay, if you use the small cog in the rear and the
    small front chainring, there's an excellent chance the chain
    will rub the inside of the large chainring. This is normal
    and expected. This is a bad chainline anyway, so it
    shouldn't be used. You want to keep the chain as straight as
    possible, not curved. Chains work best and last longest when
    used in a straight line.

    Additionally, if you have a very large chainring in the
    front, it could rub the chain in the small small combination
    no matter how long or short the chainstay. Again, it's best
    to stay out of that combination. You are putting undue
    lateral stress on the chain. This causes added friction and
    power loss. Plus you scratch up the inside of the big ring
    doing that.

    AB

    "busterb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yesterday I thought the chain was rubbing on the
    derailleur when in small front small rear combo. I
    adjusted derailleur and it does not touch chain. The
    noiise is due to the chain catching in the big chainring
    slightly and rubbing. I know I can bring it to where I
    bought it a week ago but if I can fix it Ill save the
    trip. Bike info. 2001 Cannondale xr800. cannondale expert
    cranks, 105 sti f&r derailleurs. Any ideas would be
    appreciated. Is it an alignment issue?

    -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
    newsfeeds.comnewsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
    World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
    Servers! =-----

  4. jab-<< The noiise is due to the chain catching in the big
    chainring slightly and rubbing. I know I can bring it to
    where I bought it a week ago but if I can fix it Ill save
    the trip. >><BR><BR>

    No fix necessary, it is NORMAL with yours and just about
    everyother modern road setup.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  5. busterb said:

    Yesterday I thought the chain was rubbing on the
    derailleur when in small front small rear combo. I
    adjusted derailleur and it does not touch chain. The
    noiise is due to the chain catching in the big chainring
    slightly and rubbing. I know I can bring it to where I
    bought it a week ago but if I can fix it Ill save the
    trip. Bike info. 2001 Cannondale xr800. cannondale expert
    cranks, 105 sti f&r derailleurs. Any ideas would be
    appreciated. Is it an alignment issue?

    Your subject and body conflict with each other. Which is it?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. "ZeeExSixAre" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    busterb said:

    Yesterday I thought the chain was rubbing on the
    derailleur when in small front small rear combo. I
    adjusted derailleur and it does not touch chain. The
    noiise is due to the chain catching in the big chainring
    slightly and rubbing. I know I can bring it to where I
    bought it a week ago but if I can fix it Ill save the
    trip. Bike info. 2001 Cannondale xr800. cannondale
    expert cranks, 105 sti f&r derailleurs. Any ideas would
    be appreciated. Is it an alignment issue?

    Your subject and body conflict with each other.
    Which is it?

    Pretty simple to picture: Chain on inner front chainring and
    smaller two rear gears. Chain rubs on the large front
    chainring (double) making awful racket. I just wanted to
    know if shimming something or adding a washer would correct
    this as I would like to use these gear combos.

  7. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    busterb said:

    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    busterb said:

    Yesterday I thought the chain was rubbing on the
    derailleur when in small front small rear combo. I
    adjusted derailleur and it does not touch chain. The
    noiise is due to the chain catching in the big
    chainring slightly and rubbing. I know I can bring it
    to where I bought it a week ago but if I can fix it Ill
    save the trip. Bike info. 2001 Cannondale xr800.
    cannondale expert cranks, 105 sti f&r derailleurs. Any
    ideas would be appreciated. Is it an alignment issue?

    Your subject and body conflict with each other.
    Which is it?

    Pretty simple to picture: Chain on inner front chainring
    and smaller two rear gears. Chain rubs on the large front
    chainring (double) making awful racket. I just wanted to
    know if shimming something or adding a washer would correct
    this as I would like to use these gear combos.

    _ Yes, adding a 0.6 or 1.2mm washers to all the chainring
    bolts will fix this problem[1]. Buy at least 10 since they
    are pretty easy to crunch while being installed. You should
    avoid using those gears if you can as it wears the chain
    faster and is less efficient, but the bike is there to serve
    me, not me to serve the needs of the bike.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    [1]- Make sure that you don't end up with chainrings far
    enough apart that the chain can jam between them. On
    bikes with short chainstays, it may not be possible to
    use the small/small gears without creating a much bigger
    problem. If you have to choose between small/small with
    rubbing and the potential for the chain jamming between
    the rings stick with the small/small rubbing.

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQL9IQ2TWTAjn5N/lAQGYowP9EC+UjlYmbfMuN/mgbhwqWwf77+r-
    iGfgo IjPALBTKnueE1U3cuEnnigQTrTjdyR1pXvfo9U585XHxnsAOpPz+k-
    0zGnYUGi/cB cCkauY2BOQ51XIuBz+qc/T5oGASAK+Ccdryd3XMcgVD9ai/-
    +QhOpIPMYDtsilpVX jCQT6l4hWsA= =ORKm -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.