Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

chain cleaner... yes or no?

Started by wiscojohn · · Last activity · 40 posts · 1,578 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 December 2006
Last activity
27 January 2007
Original author
wiscojohn
Posts
40
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,578
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 40
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    I suspect that the ultrasonic cleaner (possibly underpowered?) doesn't
    get at the only grime that really matters, namely the stuff inside the
    pins and rollers.

    I'm starting to wonder how well solvents do and whether it's actually
    possible to clean the inside of a chain that's actually been oiled and
    ridden a hundred miles.

    Maybe ultrasonic cleaner with a solvent in the reservoir rather than
    water?

    Jasper

  2. Matt O'Toole said:

    Ask yourself how mechanics get things like piston ring grooves perfectly
    clean. With enough soaking, even the toughest carbon deposits and varnish
    come right out of the tightest spots.

    The ones I've seen use an old ring snapped in half to scrape the groove
    clean.

    Jasper

  3. Lou Holtman said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    Gotta wonder if this is in the 'too much trouble and $' catagory. The
    rollers where they hit the chainrings and cogs are going to be clean,
    just cuz they are metal on metal...and it is a bicyclke chain, in the
    open, and it is going to get 'dirty' almost instantly, as soon as you
    start to ride. Is this amount of attention for a $20, disposable item
    worth it? Cold, not gonna ride so just wondering.

    I agree. Everyone who thinks he can clean the inside of a chain just
    by shaking a bottle is mistaken IMO. If you want a shiny chain, just
    wipe the outside clean and do that also before you relube. For the rest
    lube regularly/often, measure the wear and replace the chain on time.
    That's it.

    Thirded. (And I'm negligent on the measuring part.) Every three weeks or
    so, I run the chain thru a dry rag and then lube with White Lightning.
    Every two months, maybe, I'll spray solvent on the rag first. My
    chains/gears do fine with this. (Granted, I live in San Diego so hardly
    ever any rain. Mountain bike demands/gets much more frequent lubing.)

    Bill "minimal maintenance rider" S.

  4. Quoted message said:

    I've also tried chain cleaners and found them much more trouble than the
    shaking in a plastic bottle method, which I first read about on
    Sheldon's site (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html), for which you
    do need a quick link, but those can be bought very cheaply if you didn't
    get one with the chain.

    But he leaves out the secret ingredient... heat! It makes all the difference
    in the world when you dilute the simple green or whatever with very hot
    water.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Ben C" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 2006-12-17, [email hidden] <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    wiscojohn said:

    Dear all,
    I am fairly new to cycling and as I sit here trying to clean up my
    bike, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to invest in a chain
    cleaner. My chain seems to get pretty dirty (city/path riding)
    especially now that its winter. If not a chain cleaner, any other
    suggestions? Thanks!

    -J

    I've tried the Park chain cleaner gizmo, and it was more trouble than
    it was worth. I imagine the others are the same. Splatter, drips,
    leaking solvent/soap, and not really clean chain. All it did was make a
    mess. I have found it much easier and less messy to remove the chain
    and drop it into a plastic jug with some solvent and shake it around. I
    cut up som scotch-brite pads that I threw in there too in the hope they
    would help scrub some of the gunk off. I doubt that works, but I did it
    anyway.

    I've also tried chain cleaners and found them much more trouble than the
    shaking in a plastic bottle method, which I first read about on
    Sheldon's site (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html), for which you
    do need a quick link, but those can be bought very cheaply if you didn't
    get one with the chain.

    Quoted message said:

    For me the big problem is finding the right solvent. White Spirit works
    well, but what do I then do with all that nasty fluid? I have some
    bio-degreaser from the auto parts store that seems to be a shade less
    effective than Ivory soap! The only citrus stuff I could find was a
    spray can of 3M for $50!!!

    I don't think white spirit is that nasty or hard to dispose of (I use
    paraffin, or kerosene as it is known in America). Reuse most of it once
    the grime has sunk to the bottom, and as for the last bit, it doesn't
    feel right to pour it down the drain but I reckon you might as well burn
    it.

    Paraffin etc. is much cheaper than those citrus solvents, and I worry
    less about leaving a bit on there where it will just thin out the oil a
    bit. The citrus stuff you have to wash off thoroughly and dry etc. and
    I've never been good at that sort of thing.

  5. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    Nope, invest in a snap link, a toolless way to take the chain off...put
    into a plastic milk jug, mineral spirits, shake, take out, let
    dry..While it's drying, take chainrings off, pulleys out, cogs off,
    clean all. Grease pulley innards, grease chainring bolts and flats
    where the rings touch the crank...make all tight, put chain back
    on...lube, ride the next day.


    Are snap links available for C10 chains? I suppose you need a tool to
    break the chain and then install the link - right? I'm guessing a snap
    link is what we call a 'master link' on a motorcycle.

    -paul

  6. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've also tried chain cleaners and found them much more trouble than the
    shaking in a plastic bottle method, which I first read about on
    Sheldon's site (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html), for which you
    do need a quick link, but those can be bought very cheaply if you didn't
    get one with the chain.

    But he leaves out the secret ingredient... heat! It makes all the difference
    in the world when you dilute the simple green or whatever with very hot
    water.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Amen! Especially when the bike, chain, and solvent are in an unheated
    garage in winter (around 35ish here, even colder elsewhere!) I don't
    notice the difference between warmed and room-temp simple green in the
    summer, but it makes a big difference in winter.

    Mark J.

  7. On 16 Dec 2006 18:28:58 -0800, "wiscojohn" <[email hidden]> may

    have said:

    Dear all,
    I am fairly new to cycling and as I sit here trying to clean up my
    bike, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to invest in a chain
    cleaner. My chain seems to get pretty dirty (city/path riding)
    especially now that its winter. If not a chain cleaner, any other
    suggestions? Thanks!

    IME, using a snaplink so that the chain can be removed for cleaning,
    and a bottle of solvent in which to clean it, is generally going to
    make less of a mess and get more crud out of the chain than trying to
    clean the chain on the bike. The chain cleaner gadgets give variable
    results and make variable levels of mess; one might be useful to you,
    or it might convince you that cleaning the chain is a task better done
    by someone else, among the possible outcomes.

    Alternate methods of handling the issue include:

    -- Simply ignoring the crud (the number one most popular method
    globally, based on casual inspection of chains on bikes on the street)
    -- Accepting that some crud will occur while wiping the excess off
    with a solvent-soaked rag once in a while [the method recommended by
    at least one chain manufacturer)
    -- Using low-buildup "dry" lubricants to reduce the tendency of the
    chain to accumulate crud (various users report that their dry lube is
    very good at achieving this goal, while some others typically report
    that the same lube is not worth a damn; I have no opinion to offer at
    this time.)
    -- Using heat-applied wax as a lubricant (which has a small number of
    adherents but has failed to impress me with its effectiveness on the
    occasions that I tried it)
    -- And the aforementioned regime enabled by a snaplink and usually
    employing a two-liter soda bottle about 1/3 full of solvent as the
    cleaning vessel.

    What you do is up to you. Remember this, regardless of the chain
    cleaning and lubricating choices you make: Check the chain for wear
    frequently, and replace it when the "stretch" reaches the point at
    which it needs to be scrapped. If the period between replacements is
    acceptable to you, then your chain choice, cleaning and lubrication
    decisions have been good enough.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  8. Paul Cassel said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    Nope, invest in a snap link, a toolless way to take the chain off...put
    into a plastic milk jug, mineral spirits, shake, take out, let
    dry..While it's drying, take chainrings off, pulleys out, cogs off,
    clean all. Grease pulley innards, grease chainring bolts and flats
    where the rings touch the crank...make all tight, put chain back
    on...lube, ride the next day.


    Are snap links available for C10 chains? I suppose you need a tool to
    break the chain and then install the link - right? I'm guessing a snap
    link is what we call a 'master link' on a motorcycle.

    -paul

    yep, the '6.05' for shimano and new Campag 5.9 chains, the 6.2 for
    older Campag 10s, both from Wipperman.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    catzz66 said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you'll recommend a brand of citrus cleaner, I'll try the wide-mouth
    jar and shaking and then see what happens when I spray some WD40 on
    the chain afterward and see what kind of paper towel results I get.

    Simple Green works pretty good for me.

    Me too!

    ....although Soylent Green works better...🙂

    I just take my bike to the LBS and they will clean the chain in their
    parts cleaner while I wait. ( most of the time )

    The fluid in the ultra sonic gets replaced by a Hazmat truck so not for
    home use.

    HAND
    Happy holidays

  10. Bill Sornson said:
    Lou Holtman said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    Gotta wonder if this is in the 'too much trouble and $' catagory. The
    rollers where they hit the chainrings and cogs are going to be clean,
    just cuz they are metal on metal...and it is a bicyclke chain, in the
    open, and it is going to get 'dirty' almost instantly, as soon as you
    start to ride. Is this amount of attention for a $20, disposable item
    worth it? Cold, not gonna ride so just wondering.

    I agree. Everyone who thinks he can clean the inside of a chain just
    by shaking a bottle is mistaken IMO. If you want a shiny chain, just
    wipe the outside clean and do that also before you relube. For the rest
    lube regularly/often, measure the wear and replace the chain on time.
    That's it.

    Thirded. (And I'm negligent on the measuring part.) Every three weeks or
    so, I run the chain thru a dry rag and then lube with White Lightning.
    Every two months, maybe, I'll spray solvent on the rag first. My
    chains/gears do fine with this. (Granted, I live in San Diego so hardly
    ever any rain. Mountain bike demands/gets much more frequent lubing.)

    Bill "minimal maintenance rider" S.

    I only ride in the dry on the Merckx...and once per month when I'm
    riding a lot, I just change the chain...once per 2 months in th
    winter...I don't really clean them much, I do the pulleys, CRs, and
    cogs once in a while, once per month in the summer,,,use cheap
    chains...Wholesale and 8s..not much $.

  11. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    ..use cheap chains...Wholesale and 8s..not much $.


    I do the same as you, Peter, but I seem to be the only one ho isn't happy
    with cheap (SRAM) chains. I wipe them clean ans use Rohloff oil to lube
    them, but after a few hundred km's, they all start making a lot of noise.

    Gr, Derk

  12. wiscojohn said:

    Dear all,
    I am fairly new to cycling and as I sit here trying to clean up my
    bike, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to invest in a chain
    cleaner. My chain seems to get pretty dirty (city/path riding)
    especially now that its winter. If not a chain cleaner, any other
    suggestions? Thanks!

    Depends on the chain. To wit:

    Although I prefer the SRAM chains with reusable quick links, I've got
    a few bikes in the stable with Shimano chains, and I really don't like
    the Shimano pin racket ($2 every time you clean a chain??). So when I
    haven't kept the Shimano chain clean, and it has blocks of gunk in the
    links, a chain cleaner gets that out.

    As others have pointed out, a bottle of solvent cleans a chain off the
    bike even better.

    Pat

    Email address works as is.

  13. "H M Leary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Simple Green works pretty good for me.

    Me too!

    ...although Soylent Green works better...🙂

    HAND
    Happy holidays

    "Soylent Green is people!"

    Chas.

  14. * * Chas said:

    "H M Leary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Simple Green works pretty good for me.

    Me too!

    ...although Soylent Green works better...🙂

    HAND
    Happy holidays

    "Soylent Green is people!"

    Chas.


    I stopped using citrus based degreasers because of what I saw after
    using it on my nice shiny chainrings. Well, they ain't so shiny
    anymore. I went back to using kerosene. A bit messier but gets the job
    done better without the acid-etching.

  15. "Kenny" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    * * Chas said:

    "H M Leary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    >
    > Simple Green works pretty good for me.

    Me too!

    ...although Soylent Green works better...🙂

    HAND
    Happy holidays

    "Soylent Green is people!"

    Chas.


    I stopped using citrus based degreasers because of what I saw after
    using it on my nice shiny chainrings. Well, they ain't so shiny
    anymore. I went back to using kerosene. A bit messier but gets the job
    done better without the acid-etching.

    Good point about the acidity of citrus based cleaners. I never thought
    about it causing problems on aluminum.

    Chas.

  16. * * Chas said:

    "Kenny" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I stopped using citrus based degreasers because of what I saw after
    using it on my nice shiny chainrings. Well, they ain't so shiny
    anymore. I went back to using kerosene. A bit messier but gets the job
    done better without the acid-etching.

    Quoted message said:

    Good point about the acidity of citrus based cleaners. I never thought
    about it causing problems on aluminum.

    It's actually not acidic but caustic, like lye or oven cleaner. We
    think of citrus as being acidic like orange juice, but the orange peel
    extract used to make citrus degreaser (limonene) is actually caustic.

    Yes, it will dull your aluminum.

    Matt O.

  17. "Matt O'Toole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    * * Chas said:

    "Kenny" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I stopped using citrus based degreasers because of what I saw after
    using it on my nice shiny chainrings. Well, they ain't so shiny
    anymore. I went back to using kerosene. A bit messier but gets the


    job

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    done better without the acid-etching.

    Quoted message said:

    Good point about the acidity of citrus based cleaners. I never thought
    about it causing problems on aluminum.

    It's actually not acidic but caustic, like lye or oven cleaner. We
    think of citrus as being acidic like orange juice, but the orange peel
    extract used to make citrus degreaser (limonene) is actually caustic.

    Yes, it will dull your aluminum.

    Matt O.

    Flammable too! Ever squeeze a fresh citrus peel and light the mist with a
    cigarette lighter?

    Chas.

  18. Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 03:46:16 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"

    Quoted message said:

    If you don't have much time to spend cleaning your bike, a chain cleaner
    might be the best way to go. Otherwise, you're better off removing the chain
    and cleaning it off the bike. I use a wide-mouth plastic bottle (like the
    type that "Vitamin Water" comes in), fill it about one-third with a citrus
    cleaner, and one third *hot* water (from a tea kettle or coffee machine) and
    dump the chain in. To be shaken, not stirred. You'll see the cleanest chain
    you imagined possible emerge after a few minutes of shaking it up.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Dear Mike,

    I recently acquired an ultrasonic cleaner that must have fallen off
    the back of Santa's sleigh after he loaded up at Harbor Freight.

    I'd read RBT posts about how an ultrasonic cleaner would get my chain
    cleaner than I imagined possible, so I popped a filthy chain into it
    and ran it for the maximum 8 minute cycle.

    I was disappointed, since I'd been hoping to see dramatic results,
    with lots of tiny bubbles and exciting clouds of grime swirling off
    the chain. Apparently, the microscopic bubbles really are microscopic,
    and the grime didn't swirl much.

    I kept cycling the chain and pouring out filthy water and detergent
    off and on all day. I lost track of how many 8 minute cycles were
    involved, but it was more than a dozen.

    The chain _looked_ clean, but every time I ran the cleaner again, the
    water turned dirty.

    I finally gave up, put the chain back on my bike, sprayed a little
    WD40 on it, and ran it through a paper towel--my, what nasty black
    marks!

    Maybe, I thought, it was just picking up grime from my sprockets and
    idler gears.

    A few days later, I went through the whole business again, more than a
    dozen 8 minute cleanings on a chain that wasn't all that dirty. This
    time, I sprayed it with WD40 a few times and then dunked it in the
    cleaner. Again, it looked awfully clean, but the water always ended up
    dirty after another 8 minute cycle.

    And when I sprayed the clean-looking chain with WD40 before putting it
    on the sprockets and ran it through a clean paper towel, the same
    black marks appeared.

    I suspect that the ultrasonic cleaner (possibly underpowered?) doesn't
    get at the only grime that really matters, namely the stuff inside the
    pins and rollers.

    I'm starting to wonder how well solvents do and whether it's actually
    possible to clean the inside of a chain that's actually been oiled and
    ridden a hundred miles.

    If you'll recommend a brand of citrus cleaner, I'll try the wide-mouth
    jar and shaking and then see what happens when I spray some WD40 on
    the chain afterward and see what kind of paper towel results I get.

    My 9 speed Campagnolo chain came with instructions explicitly stating
    *not* to use solvents!

  19. "bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:1166564867.803014.42640@
    79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    My 9 speed Campagnolo chain came with instructions explicitly stating
    *not* to use solvents!

    Interesting, and quite different from the "Ultra Narrow" chain
    documentation (http://tinyurl.com/yjkt8n).

    There it states:

    Before lubricating, thoroughly clean the drive system (chain, sprocket
    set, chainrings and derailleur pulleys) with a brush or cloth saturated
    with *an appropriate degreaser* or detergent.

    (Emphasis added)

    It doesn't talk about solvents specifically, but I would assume that most
    degreasers are, or contain, solvents.

    Of course, being Campy, they do warn you that using poor-quality or
    incorrect lubricant may damage the chain... resulting in an accident,
    personal injury or death.

    I doubt that the Campagnolo lawyers can wake up in the morning without
    risk of "an accident, personal injury or death."

    Actually, in all seriousness, their ridiculous overuse of this warning
    completely negates their ability to warn you about any areas that might
    actually need special care.

    Cheers (and be safe out there),
    David

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Paul Cassel said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    Nope, invest in a snap link, a toolless way to take the chain off...put
    into a plastic milk jug, mineral spirits, shake, take out, let
    dry..While it's drying, take chainrings off, pulleys out, cogs off,
    clean all. Grease pulley innards, grease chainring bolts and flats
    where the rings touch the crank...make all tight, put chain back
    on...lube, ride the next day.


    Are snap links available for C10 chains? I suppose you need a tool to
    break the chain and then install the link - right? I'm guessing a snap
    link is what we call a 'master link' on a motorcycle.

    -paul

    yep, the '6.05' for shimano and new Campag 5.9 chains, the 6.2 for
    older Campag 10s, both from Wipperman.

    What seemed to work for me was hot water and automatic dishwasher
    detergent, along with a toothbrush and lots of elbow grease.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.