Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Carrying camera gear on a mountain bike??

Started by Mark · · Last activity · 17 posts · 895 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
6 October 2007
Last activity
17 October 2007
Original author
Mark
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
895
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well as a photographer I am going to be using my bike to do some
    photography in off the beaten path areas. I am going to need a way to
    carry some very expensive camera equipment. I am using a Camelbek
    hydration pack so a backpack isn't going to work without giving that
    up, which Id prefer not to do.

    That means I will need some sort of rack on the back or handlebars.
    Id prefer not to use the handlebars but would if its absolutely
    necessary. IF there is something out there that is already available
    for photography work, Id love to hear about it. I am also not adverse
    to building something that can be attached to a commercially available
    rack if such is compatiable with a full suspension mountain bike.

    The seat post mount racks might work, but are there better options.
    It had a weight limit of 25 lbs, which by the time I add some gear and
    protection around it might be getting close to that limit fairly
    quickly. With the flex in the suspension I wasn't sure the other
    types of racks would work very well if at all.

    Long term the goal is the camping gear on a pulled trailer, the camera
    gear on the rack on the bike. Ride the bike to the base camp and drop
    the trailer, then keep going with the camera gear. Thanks in advance
    for your help.

  2. Mark said:

    Well as a photographer I am going to be using my bike to do some
    photography in off the beaten path areas. I am going to need a way to
    carry some very expensive camera equipment.

    Throw your camera gear in a decent hydration pack and you're
    good to go.

  3. pete fagerlin said:
    Mark said:

    Well as a photographer I am going to be using my bike to do some
    photography in off the beaten path areas. I am going to need a way to
    carry some very expensive camera equipment.

    Throw your camera gear in a decent hydration pack and you're
    good to go.

    Seconded

    JD

  4. JD said:
    pete fagerlin said:
    Mark said:

    Well as a photographer I am going to be using my bike to do some
    photography in off the beaten path areas. I am going to need a way to
    carry some very expensive camera equipment.

    Quoted message said:

    Throw your camera gear in a decent hydration pack and you're
    good to go.

    Seconded

    JD

    Well that isn't ideal no matter how much space would be available. In
    the event of a crash water and elecronics don't mix. IF I ever come
    off the bike, there is no way a bladder will hold up. Bladder would
    empty contents on high dollar digital body and that wouldn't be
    pretty. It's worth more than the bike and its the cheapest piece of
    gear I carry. IF I go the backpack route the pack has to come off.
    Backpack probably isn't idea anyway because it would be much slower in
    accessing the camera than just turning around and grabbing it off the
    back. I couldn't get to the camera without getting the backpack off
    and that may take time I don't have.

    In a backpack there can be very minimal camera protection, and if I
    hit and roll with the backpack on its going to be ugly. In cased in
    something solid on a rack on the back, the gear has a fighting
    chance. Its tough, but it isn't that tough.

  5. "Mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JD said:
    pete fagerlin said:

    Mark wrote:
    > Well as a photographer I am going to be using my bike to do some
    > photography in off the beaten path areas. I am going to need a way
    > to
    > carry some very expensive camera equipment.

    Quoted message said:

    Throw your camera gear in a decent hydration pack and you're
    good to go.

    Seconded

    JD

    Well that isn't ideal no matter how much space would be available. In
    the event of a crash water and elecronics don't mix. IF I ever come
    off the bike, there is no way a bladder will hold up. Bladder would
    empty contents on high dollar digital body and that wouldn't be
    pretty. It's worth more than the bike and its the cheapest piece of
    gear I carry. IF I go the backpack route the pack has to come off.
    Backpack probably isn't idea anyway because it would be much slower in
    accessing the camera than just turning around and grabbing it off the
    back. I couldn't get to the camera without getting the backpack off
    and that may take time I don't have.

    In a backpack there can be very minimal camera protection, and if I
    hit and roll with the backpack on its going to be ugly. In cased in
    something solid on a rack on the back, the gear has a fighting
    chance. Its tough, but it isn't that tough.

    Then I would suggest learning how to ride your bike so that your tendency to
    crash is minimized. Both of the previous suggestions are from riders that
    carry cameras (including video) and are two of the best bike handlers I've
    seen. If you carry any kind of equipment there's always a chance you'll
    crash and land on said equipment. You'll come out of the crash worse than
    the equipment (speaking from experience). I can't remember the last time I
    heard of a water bladder rupturing so that's a minimal issue. If you're
    worried about missing a shot (only animal sightings come to mind) then I'd
    suggest walking, carrying the camera in your hand. I know of no way to
    carry a camera while mountain biking where there's easy camera access w/o
    stopping and digging that camera out of some sort of protective container.

  6. Mark said:
    JD said:

    On Oct 5, 10:25 pm, pete fagerlin <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Mark wrote:
    > Well as a photographer I am going to be using my bike to do some
    > photography in off the beaten path areas. I am going to need a way to
    > carry some very expensive camera equipment.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Throw your camera gear in a decent hydration pack and you're
    good to go.

    Quoted message said:

    Seconded

    Quoted message said:

    JD

    Well that isn't ideal no matter how much space would be available. In
    the event of a crash water and elecronics don't mix. IF I ever come
    off the bike, there is no way a bladder will hold up. Bladder would
    empty contents on high dollar digital body and that wouldn't be
    pretty. It's worth more than the bike and its the cheapest piece of
    gear I carry. IF I go the backpack route the pack has to come off.
    Backpack probably isn't idea anyway because it would be much slower in
    accessing the camera than just turning around and grabbing it off the
    back. I couldn't get to the camera without getting the backpack off
    and that may take time I don't have.

    In a backpack there can be very minimal camera protection, and if I
    hit and roll with the backpack on its going to be ugly. In cased in
    something solid on a rack on the back, the gear has a fighting
    chance. Its tough, but it isn't that tough.

    You need to go ask your shrink next time, fella.

    JD

  7. Mark said:

    Well that isn't ideal no matter how much space would be available. In
    the event of a crash water and elecronics don't mix.

    It depends upon the electronics. I once shot the US cyclocross
    championships over the course of three hours. The event was
    doused with over 2.5 inches of rainfall in those three hours.
    My electronics and that water mixed just fine.

    Quoted message said:

    IF I ever come
    off the bike, there is no way a bladder will hold up.

    You're delusional if you think that a bladder will burst due
    to a simple crash.

    Quoted message said:

    In a backpack there can be very minimal camera protection, and if I
    hit and roll with the backpack on its going to be ugly.

    Nope. Not in my experience.

    Quoted message said:

    In cased in
    something solid on a rack on the back, the gear has a fighting
    chance. Its tough, but it isn't that tough.

    My digital camera, lenses, flashes, etc. have proven to be
    plenty tough, just tossed into a hydropack.

  8. Mark said:

    Well as a photographer I am going to be using my bike to do some
    photography in off the beaten path areas. I am going to need a way to
    carry some very expensive camera equipment. I am using a Camelbek
    hydration pack so a backpack isn't going to work without giving that
    up, which Id prefer not to do.

    That means I will need some sort of rack on the back or handlebars.
    Id prefer not to use the handlebars but would if its absolutely
    necessary. IF there is something out there that is already available
    for photography work, Id love to hear about it. I am also not adverse
    to building something that can be attached to a commercially available
    rack if such is compatiable with a full suspension mountain bike.

    The seat post mount racks might work, but are there better options.
    It had a weight limit of 25 lbs, which by the time I add some gear and
    protection around it might be getting close to that limit fairly
    quickly. With the flex in the suspension I wasn't sure the other
    types of racks would work very well if at all.

    Long term the goal is the camping gear on a pulled trailer, the camera
    gear on the rack on the bike. Ride the bike to the base camp and drop
    the trailer, then keep going with the camera gear. Thanks in advance
    for your help.

    I've never heard of a Camelbak rupturing in a crash. I've been using
    them and riding with lots of other camelbak users for 15 years. Not a
    scientific study, but nobody here whines about them breaking either.
    I have had a lid not close completely and leak a half inch of water on
    passenger seat of my car, where my digital slr was sitting. Much
    swearing and a couple hours of drying later, the camera was fine.
    I would suggest you bring just the equipment you'll need (no "Maybe I'll
    need that 500 mm lens and the macro and the 4x5 film camera if the
    sunset is just right...."😉 and not expect a photography ride to be a
    gonzo ride too. Do the ride again without the camera. Gives you a
    reason to ride more :-)

    Shawn

  9. pete fagerlin said:
    Mark said:

    Well that isn't ideal no matter how much space would be available. In
    the event of a crash water and elecronics don't mix.

    It depends upon the electronics. I once shot the US cyclocross
    championships over the course of three hours. The event was
    doused with over 2.5 inches of rainfall in those three hours.
    My electronics and that water mixed just fine.

    Quoted message said:

    IF I ever come
    off the bike, there is no way a bladder will hold up.

    You're delusional if you think that a bladder will burst due
    to a simple crash.

    Quoted message said:

    In a backpack there can be very minimal camera protection, and if I
    hit and roll with the backpack on its going to be ugly.

    Nope. Not in my experience.

    Quoted message said:

    In cased in
    something solid on a rack on the back, the gear has a fighting
    chance. Its tough, but it isn't that tough.

    My digital camera, lenses, flashes, etc. have proven to be
    plenty tough, just tossed into a hydropack.

    No one ever plans on crashing but people do all the time. Depending
    on how much a bladder happens to hold at the time of the crash is
    going to make a great deal of difference. If nearly empty, it
    probably would be fine. The plastic bladder I have there is no way it
    could be nearly full and put my 200lbs+ on top of it and not have it
    burst somewhere. Through in the possibility of rocks or tree limbs
    and again that plastic just isn't going to hold. Maybe it would come
    out the bite valve or pull the hose out, but there are just too many
    maybe's in there for me. Make the bladder out of the same material as
    a Nascar fuel cell and Id agree with you. If I never crash, it won't
    be a problem. Maybe I won't, but more than likely sooner or later
    almost everyone does. Though my gear has seen some heavy rain, and yes
    I had the stuff to partially protect it, liquids an electronics don't
    often mix well. Empty your hydration bladder on your camera for a
    test. I put my equipment through enough abuse as it is and don't want
    to add to it if there is a way to avoid it.

    I do appreciate the input an if it works for you and meets your risk
    tolerance, then that's exactly what you should do. In a back pack I
    have to stop (which I would have to anyway) take the pack off and deal
    with the zippers. Next finding a combination that it could travel
    with the lens on the body might be a challenge or it would have to be
    mounted, all the while that animal I happened upon is heading to the
    next county. IF you only dealt with landscapes and such it would work
    better.. Time is not an issue there usually.

    To those that think that because my needs may not match your needs and
    that justifies a trip to a mental professional, I pity you. I may
    have to make a number of these trips to custom make what I need but
    thats ok too. I suspected that might be what I had to do or at least
    modify something existing. I also figured there probably is someone
    out there that has likely been through this before and just maybe what
    worked for them would work for me. Not this time

    Yes I could take the bike part way and hike, but that also partially
    defeats the purpose of the bike and its mobility.

  10. Mark said:
    pete fagerlin said:
    Mark said:

    Well that isn't ideal no matter how much space would be available.
    In the event of a crash water and elecronics don't mix.

    It depends upon the electronics. I once shot the US cyclocross
    championships over the course of three hours. The event was
    doused with over 2.5 inches of rainfall in those three hours.
    My electronics and that water mixed just fine.

    Quoted message said:

    IF I ever come
    off the bike, there is no way a bladder will hold up.

    You're delusional if you think that a bladder will burst due
    to a simple crash.

    Quoted message said:

    In a backpack there can be very minimal camera protection, and if I
    hit and roll with the backpack on its going to be ugly.

    Nope. Not in my experience.

    Quoted message said:

    In cased in
    something solid on a rack on the back, the gear has a fighting
    chance. Its tough, but it isn't that tough.

    My digital camera, lenses, flashes, etc. have proven to be
    plenty tough, just tossed into a hydropack.

    No one ever plans on crashing but people do all the time. Depending
    on how much a bladder happens to hold at the time of the crash is
    going to make a great deal of difference. If nearly empty, it
    probably would be fine. The plastic bladder I have there is no way it
    could be nearly full and put my 200lbs+ on top of it and not have it
    burst somewhere. Through in the possibility of rocks or tree limbs
    and again that plastic just isn't going to hold. Maybe it would come
    out the bite valve or pull the hose out, but there are just too many
    maybe's in there for me. Make the bladder out of the same material as
    a Nascar fuel cell and Id agree with you. If I never crash, it won't
    be a problem. Maybe I won't, but more than likely sooner or later
    almost everyone does. Though my gear has seen some heavy rain, and yes
    I had the stuff to partially protect it, liquids an electronics don't
    often mix well. Empty your hydration bladder on your camera for a
    test. I put my equipment through enough abuse as it is and don't want
    to add to it if there is a way to avoid it.

    I do appreciate the input an if it works for you and meets your risk
    tolerance, then that's exactly what you should do. In a back pack I
    have to stop (which I would have to anyway) take the pack off and deal
    with the zippers. Next finding a combination that it could travel
    with the lens on the body might be a challenge or it would have to be
    mounted, all the while that animal I happened upon is heading to the
    next county. IF you only dealt with landscapes and such it would work
    better.. Time is not an issue there usually.

    To those that think that because my needs may not match your needs and
    that justifies a trip to a mental professional, I pity you. I may
    have to make a number of these trips to custom make what I need but
    thats ok too. I suspected that might be what I had to do or at least
    modify something existing. I also figured there probably is someone
    out there that has likely been through this before and just maybe what
    worked for them would work for me. Not this time

    Yes I could take the bike part way and hike, but that also partially
    defeats the purpose of the bike and its mobility.

    A) Unless you put the gear inside the bladder's compartment, even if it
    ruptures (very unlikely) you'll be OK.

    B) You don't seem to be cut out to be a mountain biking photographer. It's
    just stuff, and you're too attached to / worried about it. Maybe try bird
    watching instead?

    HTH. BS

  11. Mark said:

    On Oct 6, 7:37 pm, pete fagerlin <[email hidden]> wrote:

    snip

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My digital camera, lenses, flashes, etc. have proven to be
    plenty tough, just tossed into a hydropack.

    No one ever plans on crashing but people do all the time. Depending
    on how much a bladder happens to hold at the time of the crash is
    going to make a great deal of difference.

    snip

    You've gotten lots of good advice from some awesomely good mountain
    biking photographers (or is that photographing mountain bikers?). I've
    seen their photos, and video of their riding (the ones I haven't ridden
    with in RL), they know of what they speak. You would do well to take
    their advice, adjust as necessary, and have fun.
    With all due respect Mark, if you have all the answers why are you asking?

    Shawn

  12. "Mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    pete fagerlin said:

    Mark wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    In a back pack I
    have to stop (which I would have to anyway) take the pack off and deal
    with the zippers. Next finding a combination that it could travel
    with the lens on the body might be a challenge or it would have to be
    mounted, all the while that animal I happened upon is heading to the
    next county. IF you only dealt with landscapes and such it would work
    better.. Time is not an issue there usually.

    Take the bag off? Deal with the zippers? A challenge to travel with lens on
    body?

    Get up to date with what's available, e.g the Lowepro Slingshot series......

    Just a few hours ago I pulled up to fire off a series of shots with a Nikon
    D200 (bearing a 300mm lens) of a Lataste's Viper - without even getting off
    the bike. Now had the gear been in some kind of bike mounted bag..........

    <snip>

  13. Mark said:

    No one ever plans on crashing but people do all the time. Depending
    on how much a bladder happens to hold at the time of the crash is
    going to make a great deal of difference. If nearly empty, it
    probably would be fine. The plastic bladder I have there is no way it
    could be nearly full and put my 200lbs+ on top of it and not have it
    burst somewhere. Through in the possibility of rocks or tree limbs
    and again that plastic just isn't going to hold. Maybe it would come
    out the bite valve or pull the hose out, but there are just too many
    maybe's in there for me. Make the bladder out of the same material as
    a Nascar fuel cell and Id agree with you. If I never crash, it won't
    be a problem. Maybe I won't, but more than likely sooner or later
    almost everyone does. Though my gear has seen some heavy rain, and yes
    I had the stuff to partially protect it, liquids an electronics don't
    often mix well. Empty your hydration bladder on your camera for a
    test. I put my equipment through enough abuse as it is and don't want
    to add to it if there is a way to avoid it.

    You need to read my previous posts again. My equipment has
    survived more water exposure than simply emptying a bladder on
    it. Your fears of the bladder bursting are irrational. At this
    point I would suggest that you buy yourself a portable meteor
    barrier to protect your equipment from meteorites.

    Quoted message said:

    I do appreciate the input an if it works for you and meets your risk
    tolerance, then that's exactly what you should do. In a back pack I
    have to stop (which I would have to anyway) take the pack off and deal
    with the zippers. Next finding a combination that it could travel
    with the lens on the body might be a challenge or it would have to be
    mounted, all the while that animal I happened upon is heading to the
    next county. IF you only dealt with landscapes and such it would work
    better.. Time is not an issue there usually.

    Photography while riding a bike is not as complicated as you
    think it is. Sorry.

    Good luck with the meteors.

  14. Mark said:


    I do appreciate the input an if it works for you and meets your risk
    tolerance, then that's exactly what you should do.

    This is totally what you're looking for:

    http://tinyurl.com/3bbnmr

    HTH

    CC

  15. "RobDee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    pete fagerlin said:

    Mark wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    In a back pack I
    have to stop (which I would have to anyway) take the pack off and deal
    with the zippers. Next finding a combination that it could travel
    with the lens on the body might be a challenge or it would have to be
    mounted, all the while that animal I happened upon is heading to the
    next county. IF you only dealt with landscapes and such it would work
    better.. Time is not an issue there usually.

    Take the bag off? Deal with the zippers? A challenge to travel with lens
    on body?

    Get up to date with what's available, e.g the Lowepro Slingshot
    series......

    Just a few hours ago I pulled up to fire off a series of shots with a
    Nikon D200 (bearing a 300mm lens) of a Lataste's Viper - without even
    getting off the bike. Now had the gear been in some kind of bike mounted
    bag..........

    <snip>

    Link to photos?

  16. Mark said:

    To those that think that because my needs may not match your needs and
    that justifies a trip to a mental professional, I pity you.

    You pity us? That's a laugh. Why don't you do the World a favor and
    go ride off of a cliff. That would make a great photo.

    JD

  17. Hiya Mark

    My favorite ia a Lowepro Off Trail 2 beltpack.

    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Beltpacks/modular/Off_Trail_2.aspx

    Takes a digital SLR with lens and 2 extra long lenses. The side pods can be
    removed if you're not going to need more than 1 lens. I can still use a full
    size hydration daypack with the Off Trail tucked in underneath. Advantages -
    you can lift off the seat to absorb some of the shock from rough terrain,
    you can spin the beltpack around to the front for quick access to catch the
    wildlife you just surprised! Disadvantages - extra weight is carried by you,
    not the bike so the backside can get tired on a long ride.

    Hope this helps

    Blueroo

    "Mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well as a photographer I am going to be using my bike to do some
    photography in off the beaten path areas. I am going to need a way to
    carry some very expensive camera equipment. I am using a Camelbek
    hydration pack so a backpack isn't going to work without giving that
    up, which Id prefer not to do.

    That means I will need some sort of rack on the back or handlebars.
    Id prefer not to use the handlebars but would if its absolutely
    necessary. IF there is something out there that is already available
    for photography work, Id love to hear about it. I am also not adverse
    to building something that can be attached to a commercially available
    rack if such is compatiable with a full suspension mountain bike.

    The seat post mount racks might work, but are there better options.
    It had a weight limit of 25 lbs, which by the time I add some gear and
    protection around it might be getting close to that limit fairly
    quickly. With the flex in the suspension I wasn't sure the other
    types of racks would work very well if at all.

    Long term the goal is the camping gear on a pulled trailer, the camera
    gear on the rack on the bike. Ride the bike to the base camp and drop
    the trailer, then keep going with the camera gear. Thanks in advance
    for your help.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.