Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Carbon frame on indoor trainer - good idea?

Started by Buddy2004 · · Last activity · 11 posts · 3,101 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
21 October 2005
Last activity
26 October 2005
Original author
Buddy2004
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,101
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I have heard a few comments about it not being a good idea to use carbon frame bikes on indoor trainers as it can produce exceesive flex and strain on the frame - anyone have any thoughts on this?

    I have an elderly Specialized epic carbon frame bike and mounted it for the first time yesterday on my new cycleops fluid trainer. I did notice that the rear tyre was moving from side to side to some extent (1/4 to 3/8 inch) while I was cycling (yes, the bike was securely attached), although our crappy floorboards may have been contributing!

    Any advice appreciated

  2. Quoted post said:


    Sounds like rubbish. I've had my carbon bike on the trainer hundreds of times. The wheel will move side to side with any bike. In fact my cheap aluminum frame flexes more on the trainer than my carbon bike.

    The trainer can't put any more stress on the bike than riding over a big pothole, or a set of train tracks.

  3. It depends on the training you're doing. If you're just going to be spinning, it's not a problem. If you're going to be out of the saddle hammering a lot it's going to trash the frame. With the rear axel constrained, all of the force that would normally cause the bike to rock side to side goes straight to the chain stays. This goes for any lightweight frame, not just a carbon one.

  4. Buddy2004 said:

    Hi,

    I have heard a few comments about it not being a good idea to use carbon frame bikes on indoor trainers as it can produce exceesive flex and strain on the frame - anyone have any thoughts on this?

    I have an elderly Specialized epic carbon frame bike and mounted it for the first time yesterday on my new cycleops fluid trainer. I did notice that the rear tyre was moving from side to side to some extent (1/4 to 3/8 inch) while I was cycling (yes, the bike was securely attached), although our crappy floorboards may have been contributing!

    Any advice appreciated

    Your frame will be fine.

  5. I have heard that the cycle manufactorers doesn't recommend using indoor trainers with carbon frames. But watching TdF shows cyclists warming up on trainers. Unless being very heavy and/or having extremely strong legs I don't think it will harm the frame (pardon my english🙂)

  6. pna said:

    I have heard that the cycle manufactorers doesn't recommend using indoor trainers with carbon frames. But watching TdF shows cyclists warming up on trainers. Unless being very heavy and/or having extremely strong legs I don't think it will harm the frame (pardon my english🙂)

    I have never damaged a bike on a trainer...but I have broken a few trainers.

  7. pna said:

    I have heard that the cycle manufactorers doesn't recommend using indoor trainers with carbon frames. But watching TdF shows cyclists warming up on trainers. Unless being very heavy and/or having extremely strong legs I don't think it will harm the frame (pardon my english🙂)

    yes but they don´t buy thier own frames , do they ?

    CF no prob but ali can have a shortened life - most warrenties are invaledated by trainer use .

  8. el Inglés said:

    most warrenties are invaledated by trainer use .


    Which companies would that be? Trek, Giant, and Cervelo don't seem to have a trainer limitation.

  9. it's normal for a tire to move back and forth the amount you described. everything flexes - frame, wheel, probably the trainer.

    did your trainer come with a different skewer? I have a cycleops that came with a skewer that fits in the trainer - it's by far the most stable trainer I've ever had. if it didn't then you should get a big lumpy steel skewer.

    I've ridden a TCR carbon mainly indoors for most of the year (I can't ride outside a lot due to work) with no problems. I've ridden aluminum TCR's indoors for years with no ill effects. a short trainer ride is 30-45 min, a long one is 3-4 hours. so I ride on the trainer quite a bit.

    I imagine the warning for CF (and prob AL) frames are for those trainers which clamp the bottom bracket or other parts of the frame (fork, seatstay, etc). some of those fork mount trainers really put a lot of force on the headsetarea since the fork is locked in place and cannot flex naturally fore and aft. I've ruined a couple headsets on fork-clamp type trainers. and knowing the litigous US, people will sue after they mar/crunch their frames on trainers. of course I'm no manufacturer so I don't know for sure.

    cdr

  10. Guys,

    Thanks for all the replies - I feel somewhat reassured! Yes, I have a cycleops fluid and replaced the skewer with the one provided. Looking at the flexing issue while riding on the trainer tonight, I could see that the trainer supports themselves were also moving, so there would appear to be some built-in give in the trainer design itself

  11. how come in the training section of this site . on a similar topic the consensus was it's not advisable to use a carbon bike on a trainer? 😕 who's right then?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.