Kunstler argues that the coming age of energy scarcity will change everything about how we live in this country -- most of all our dependency on automobiles.
Interesting and depressing. I think I'll sell all my stock and buy gold. And a rifle. And move into the hills of Montana and raise goats and sheep.
Don't sell your oil and defense stocks for a while.
Robert
Gold. Just steal a ton of catalytic converters. They each have about $100 of Platinum in them. A very precious metal and Detroit found a way to waste it. Bill Baka
I understand that making gasoline form coal becomes economical when the oil price gets to be about $60. There's quite a lot of coal about
Last I heard the price of oil was something like $70, so we should be seeing this happen any day now if it is true. But somehow I doubt that the process has really been developed to the point of being feasable. Apparently it was used by the Germans during WWII when we cut off their oil supplies, but it was a filthy process.
Although there is quite a bit of coal about, they tend now to just remove all the land above it to get at the coal. Lovely future we have in store.
--
David L. Johnson
If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw
"David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Jeremy Parker said:
I understand that making gasoline form coal becomes economical when the oil price gets to be about $60. There's quite a lot of coal about
Last I heard the price of oil was something like $70, so we should be seeing this happen any day now if it is true. But somehow I doubt that the process has really been developed to the point of being feasable. Apparently it was used by the Germans during WWII when we cut off their oil supplies, but it was a filthy process.
[snip]
And the same process was used in South Africa when it was being boycotted over apartheid. One didn't hear of driving being greatly affected by that. That was recent enough that no doubt Sasol, the local oil company there, would still have a fair amount of expertise
"David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Jeremy Parker said:
I understand that making gasoline form coal becomes economical when the oil price gets to be about $60. There's quite a lot of coal about
Last I heard the price of oil was something like $70, so we should be seeing this happen any day now if it is true. But somehow I doubt that the process has really been developed to the point of being feasable. Apparently it was used by the Germans during WWII when we cut off their oil supplies, but it was a filthy process.
[snip]
And the same process was used in South Africa when it was being boycotted over apartheid. One didn't hear of driving being greatly affected by that. That was recent enough that no doubt Sasol, the local oil company there, would still have a fair amount of expertise
And that worked to a large extent because the SA apartheid government didn't give a rip about the environmental impact in the Bantustans where the coal was mined and processed.